E-M10 anti shock

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Oldroadster
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
E-M10 anti shock
7 months ago

I am considering buying an E-M10 but I have a question about the anti shock setting. Does it have the 0 second setting that Olympus is adding to other models by firmware update or should we expect a similar update for the E-M10? I have read a copy of the manual but have been unable to find the answer elsewhere. Thank you in anticipation.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510
Like?
Re: E-M10 anti shock
In reply to Oldroadster, 7 months ago

Oldroadster wrote:

I am considering buying an E-M10 but I have a question about the anti shock setting. Does it have the 0 second setting that Olympus is adding to other models by firmware update or should we expect a similar update for the E-M10? I have read a copy of the manual but have been unable to find the answer elsewhere. Thank you in anticipation.

The E-M10 does NOT have the zero-second anti-shock, and there's no indication that Olympus is planning to add it.

It's possible (just speculation, I could be wrong), that it's something that the shutter mechanism in the E-P5 and E-M1 are capable of and the E-M10 is not.

I would highly recommend that you buy an E-P5 instead of an E-M10. Once you know about shutter shock, you WILL find it in your photos and it will be a constant source of aggravation.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LarsLeibgott
Regular MemberPosts: 348Gear list
Like?
In reply to sigala1, 7 months ago

sigala1 wrote:

Oldroadster wrote:

The E-M10 does NOT have the zero-second anti-shock, and there's no indication that Olympus is planning to add it.

It's possible (just speculation, I could be wrong), that it's something that the shutter mechanism in the E-P5 and E-M1 are capable of and the E-M10 is not.

I would highly recommend that you buy an E-P5 instead of an E-M10. Once you know about shutter shock, you WILL find it in your photos and it will be a constant source of aggravation.

In the 43rumors comment chain about a leaked E-M1 firmware update, a guy posted a link to a (now removed) page showing that Olympus was planning to add 0 second anti-shock to the 1.1 firmware update for the E-M10. I wish I had had the sense to screen cap it.

So, at the very least it's been rumored. For whatever that's worth.

tinpusher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,268Gear list
Like?
In reply to sigala1, 7 months ago

It does have a 1/8 sec setting that is virtually undetectable.

At first I thought that I was getting shutter shock from the EM10 but I'm not so sure now.

I think that the lack-lustre IQ was due to other causes.

tinpusher's gear list:tinpusher's gear list
Leica X1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S +4 more
Andre Bomhof
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,421
Like?

Oldroadster wrote:

Hi Oldroadster,

Seems like there is an E-M10 firmware update on the way which has the 0 second anti-shock setting:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft5-e-m1-firmware-gets-leaked/#disqus_thread

André

-- hide signature --

http://mcpint.zenfolio.com
'Keep on rockin' in the free world'
Mr Neil Young

Michael M Fliegel
Senior MemberPosts: 1,884Gear list
Like?

If the EM10 shows evidence of shutter shock, Olympus will issue the firmware update for it which will fix the problem.  It is a great camera.

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +9 more
Oldroadster
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
In reply to Andre Bomhof, 7 months ago

Thankyou for the prompt replies. I have a G3 and a 45-175 which suffers from shutter shock noticeably and hope to up grade later this year. Looks like I need to save up a little more for the E-M1.

Andre Bomhof
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,421
Like?

Oldroadster wrote:

Thankyou for the prompt replies. I have a G3 and a 45-175 which suffers from shutter shock noticeably and hope to up grade later this year. Looks like I need to save up a little more for the E-M1.

I meant this bit from the 43rumors article:

"UPDATE: There should be a new E-M10 fw update too with following improvements:

1) Improved image stabilization during movie recording
2) 0-second value is added to the “Anti-Shock” mode"

André

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 13,468
Like?
I have seen no evidence of shutter shock in the E-M10

I can't swear is never happens, but I can swear I haven't seen it.

-- hide signature --
baxters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,261Gear list
Like?
Re: I have seen no evidence of shutter shock in the E-M10
In reply to Glen Barrington, 7 months ago

From the DPR EM10 review - last paragraph on Image Quality.

We were also pleased to find that, in our testing, the E-M10 did not prove to be susceptible to the shutter shock we saw from the PEN E-P5 - so the image quality is more consistently available.

Here's the Link

Nonetheless, of a FW update helps the EP5, it's welcome on other cameras too.

baxters's gear list:baxters's gear list
Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 13,082
Like?
E-M5 firmware update too
In reply to Andre Bomhof, 7 months ago

Andre Bomhof wrote:

Hope it gets added to an E-M5 firmware update too.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

Lyle From Canada
Senior MemberPosts: 1,373
Like?
Re: E-M5 firmware update too
In reply to Henry Richardson, 7 months ago

What the heck is shutter shock? I have had no issue with my em10

-- hide signature --

Fuji x-pro1 with 14, 18, 23, 35, 60, 55-200, fuji x100s and WA adapter, fuji x10

jkrumm
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,268
Like?
Re: I have seen no evidence of shutter shock in the E-M10
In reply to Glen Barrington, 7 months ago

I know it's weird, but you might not notice it until you don't have it. That's how it was with my EM-1. Suddenly a lot of my photos got a little sharper, but they always seemed sharp before. It's like having 20/20 vision and then moving to slightly better than 20/20.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,395Gear list
Like?
In reply to tinpusher, 7 months ago

1/8s anti-shock is not "virtually undetectable". It adds a very noticeable "sluggishness" to the feel of the camera. (At least on my E-M5 it does, and I assume the E-M10 with the same shutter is the same.) I have always felt that perhaps a shorter delay would be sufficient to battle shutter shock without causing a noticeable delay. So I would definitely welcome a 0s setting on the E-M5 and E-M10.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
fevan
Forum MemberPosts: 66
Like?
In reply to Paul De Bra, 7 months ago

does the 1/8s anti-shock degrade IQ?

DimLS
Forum MemberPosts: 86
Like?
In reply to fevan, 7 months ago

We must say bravo to oly for these firmware updates. I love my em 10 and if we get efc then it will be perfect for me.

newellj
Contributing MemberPosts: 876Gear list
Like?
In reply to Henry Richardson, 7 months ago

Henry Richardson wrote:

Andre Bomhof wrote:

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

I understand what you're saying, but I've never experienced shutter shock with my E-M5.  The E-M5 shutter doesn't seem to be particularly prone to shutter shock, possibly because of its lower top speed.

newellj's gear list:newellj's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Henry Richardson
Forum ProPosts: 13,082
Like?
In reply to newellj, 7 months ago

newellj wrote:

I understand what you're saying, but I've never experienced shutter shock with my E-M5. The E-M5 shutter doesn't seem to be particularly prone to shutter shock, possibly because of its lower top speed.

Doesn't the E-M10 also have the slower shutter like the E-M5?  This thread we are posting in is about the E-M10.  Also, I found at least one E-M10 shutter shock report:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53491861

I haven't been concerned with shutter shock with my E-M5, but recently as I was going through a bunch of photos from my trip to Turkey that ended not long ago I found several taken around 1/100 and 1/125 at short focal lengths that I would normally have expected to be sharp, but they sort of looked like the shutter shock examples I have seen.  I haven't bothered investigating and they may look that way for another reason, but it got shutter shock on my radar.   Would be nice if Olympus had a firmware update for the E-M10 and E-M5 with the new setting.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510
Like?
In reply to newellj, 7 months ago

newellj wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Andre Bomhof wrote:

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

I understand what you're saying, but I've never experienced shutter shock with my E-M5. The E-M5 shutter doesn't seem to be particularly prone to shutter shock, possibly because of its lower top speed.

While I agree the E-M5 is better than all other Olympus cameras without EFCS, evidence that it has shutter shock was posted to the internet back when it first came out.

If you've been using the camera without anti-shock turned on, I am SURE that some of your photos are a little blurrier than they otherwise would have been, you just haven't noticed it.

Like some other poster said about his E-M1, he didn't know he had shutter shock until after he installed the updated and turned on the 0-sec anti-shock and he reaiized his photos got sharper.

Paul De Bra
Forum ProPosts: 11,395Gear list
Like?
anti-shock does not degrade IQ, only improves it
In reply to fevan, 7 months ago

Anti-shock just delays the shot being taken. This means the shot is taken after shutter vibrations have died down. IQ is not affected in any way except that blur due to the vibration is (partly or fully) eliminated.

-- hide signature --

Slowly learning to use the Olympus OM-D E-M5.
Public pictures at http://debra.zenfolio.com/.

Paul De Bra's gear list:Paul De Bra's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads