A Boring Photo.
6 months ago

RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,082Gear list
Like?
Re: A Boring Photo.
In reply to reelacks, 6 months ago

reelacks wrote:

Tony, congratulations on a brilliant photograph!  You've managed to flatten all the elements into two dimensions well with your careful placement choices.  You then mess with our minds with the heavy vignette.  The western viewer typically begins in the top left corner and the eye traverses down diagonally to the bottom right of the frame.  Along that path, the careful placement of the bird and then the light fixture, juxtaposed against the relatively darker bottom left and top right corners, is brilliant.  The bird, a metaphor for the human soul, is on that diagonal that encounters the light fixture and then the dark corner.  Is there no hope for the human soul?  Does it only end in darkness?  Or is there the promise of that light fixture turning on and suddenly casting light in all that darkness?  Half of the bird's body is in the drain and we are treated to the possibility that a flash shower may wash the bird away, especially if it's wings are broken and it can't fly.  The four distinct saplings in the lower left are placed brilliantly too because four represents the inherent poignancy of all things earthen.  This element solidly anchors an otherwise ethereal composition.

Well done!  An image that raises questions on many levels.

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

'Change is not Mandatory, you don't have to Survive...'
SeekingLight.net

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
David Kieltyka
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,415Gear list
Like?

I've got plenty of 'em. Yours reminded me of one of mine, a focusing test.

M8, 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit @ f/5.6.

-Dave-

David Kieltyka's gear list:David Kieltyka's gear list
Leica M8.2 Pentax 645D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +7 more
meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 4,031Gear list
Like?
In reply to RaajS, 6 months ago

reelacks wrote:

Tony, congratulations on a brilliant photograph!  You've managed to flatten all the elements into two dimensions well with your careful placement choices.  You then mess with our minds with the heavy vignette.  The western viewer typically begins in the top left corner and the eye traverses down diagonally to the bottom right of the frame.  Along that path, the careful placement of the bird and then the light fixture, juxtaposed against the relatively darker bottom left and top right corners, is brilliant.  The bird, a metaphor for the human soul, is on that diagonal that encounters the light fixture and then the dark corner.  Is there no hope for the human soul?  Does it only end in darkness?  Or is there the promise of that light fixture turning on and suddenly casting light in all that darkness?  Half of the bird's body is in the drain and we are treated to the possibility that a flash shower may wash the bird away, especially if it's wings are broken and it can't fly.  The four distinct saplings in the lower left are placed brilliantly too because four represents the inherent poignancy of all things earthen.  This element solidly anchors an otherwise ethereal composition.

Well done!  An image that raises questions on many levels.

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

That's real spooky raaj, that's pretty much just how I read this shot.

One really can't beat a pile of pretentious bo##ocks, can one.

Very best

Pc
--
http://www.pbase.com/meagre_offerings/street_photography

also ex secretary/treasurer and only member of the `lesser leica owners club`.

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
RaajS
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,082Gear list
Like?
In reply to meagre offerings, 6 months ago

meagre offerings wrote:

reelacks wrote:

Tony, congratulations on a brilliant photograph! You've managed to flatten all the elements into two dimensions well with your careful placement choices. You then mess with our minds with the heavy vignette. The western viewer typically begins in the top left corner and the eye traverses down diagonally to the bottom right of the frame. Along that path, the careful placement of the bird and then the light fixture, juxtaposed against the relatively darker bottom left and top right corners, is brilliant. The bird, a metaphor for the human soul, is on that diagonal that encounters the light fixture and then the dark corner. Is there no hope for the human soul? Does it only end in darkness? Or is there the promise of that light fixture turning on and suddenly casting light in all that darkness? Half of the bird's body is in the drain and we are treated to the possibility that a flash shower may wash the bird away, especially if it's wings are broken and it can't fly. The four distinct saplings in the lower left are placed brilliantly too because four represents the inherent poignancy of all things earthen. This element solidly anchors an otherwise ethereal composition.

Well done! An image that raises questions on many levels.

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

That's real spooky raaj, that's pretty much just how I read this shot.

One really can't beat a pile of pretentious bo##ocks, can one.

Very best

Pc
--

Trust you and family are well, Paul.

Cheers,

-raaj

-- hide signature --

SeekingLight.net

Wetzlarkid
Contributing MemberPosts: 614Gear list
Like?

No Red Dot!!

Wetzlarkid's gear list:Wetzlarkid's gear list
Leica X1 Leica V-Lux 40 Leica V-Lux 4 Leica X Vario Nikon D90 +4 more
reelacks
Senior MemberPosts: 1,810Gear list
Like?
RaajS.

Raaj your response to my picture has left me feeling strangley emotional. Your eloquence and inciteful understanding of a deep spiritual intelligence that must be lurking somewhere deep in my psyche,has made me realize that i've been doing things right,all along,without knowing it........................there is the saying that" A Prophet is never recognized in his own village".........what more can i say. Further,i am going to print this picture large and place your beautfully written analysis next to it,then suggest to my wife she read it,just before i buy my next piece of expensive photo gear. I thank you. . Tony.

P.S  I have a few hardrives full of similar pics,maybe you would like to look through them?

meagre offerings
Senior MemberPosts: 4,031Gear list
Like?
Re: RaajS.

Raaj your response to my picture has left me feeling strangley emotional. Your eloquence and inciteful understanding of a deep spiritual intelligence that must be lurking somewhere deep in my psyche,has made me realize that i've been doing things right,all along,without knowing it........................there is the saying that" A Prophet is never recognized in his own village".........what more can i say. Further,i am going to print this picture large and place your beautfully written analysis next to it,then suggest to my wife she read it,just before i buy my next piece of expensive photo gear. I thank you. . Tony.

P.S  I have a few hardrives full of similar pics,maybe you would like to look through them?

PMSL.

Best

Pc
--

meagre offerings's gear list:meagre offerings's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads