I think I caught GAS...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
cpt kent
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?
I think I caught GAS...
7 months ago

I have the E-M5 and a selection of prime and zoom lenses. My primary zoom is the 14-54II, via the MMF-3, which I find fantastic, though with obvious speed / size issues.

I'd like 12-40, which retails here (AU) for about $1000. Faster, lighter, quicker to focus, etc. Now I find I can get it with a E-M1 for $1700, with the current AU/NZ cash back offers.

was holding out for an update of the E-M5, hoping to get the 12-40 with that, but I'm thinking the current deal is too good to pass up. It gets me the lens I want, with the bonus of an E-M1 for an extra $700.

I know I'd use all the additional features of the E-M1, but $1700 is still a bit of money....

There is no question to this thread, I'm just typing it out to see if it makes a decision any easier, or to see if I just have GAS...

David.

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Len_Gee
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,598Gear list
Like?
life is too short
In reply to cpt kent, 7 months ago

If you lust after it, get it. Otherwise you'll forever be kicking yourself in the a*ss for not doing so.

Life is short, get your toys before you're too old to enjoy.

Money should not keep you from gettong what you really want.

Hope you enjoy your new kit and post your user evaluation, and a few pics here when you get the batteries charged.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,097Gear list
Like?
Re: I think I caught GAS...

If you buy another body and another lens which mostly duplicates your current body and the reach of a current lens and you don't consider selling something, yes, you might have GAS.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." - Wayne Gretsky

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
letsgofishing
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?
Re: life is too short
In reply to Len_Gee, 7 months ago

I really don't think there's going to be an update to the EM5.

The 12-40 is a stunner - go for it!

letsgofishing's gear list:letsgofishing's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Kelpie
Regular MemberPosts: 119Gear list
Like?

Buy it and sell the Em-5 and 14-54 you will come out with the EM-1 and 12-40 for about the price of the 12-40 sounds like a good opportunity to me.

Kelpie's gear list:Kelpie's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D600 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro +6 more
Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,463Gear list
Like?
Take the medication and lie down for a while.....

If Joe Hockey's budget hasn't hurt you too much then go do it. That 12-40mm lens is great, works a treat on my E-PL5.

By the way, where is that package at Oz$1700 (after $300 cashback)? Others may be interested as most shops don't go that low.

Regards....... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
cpt kent
Like?
Re: Take the medication and lie down for a while.....
In reply to Guy Parsons, 7 months ago

Great advice but I can't find anything strong enough - and a trip to the doc for a prescription would add an extra $7...

Deal is at:

http://gerrygibbscamerawarehouse.com.au/olympus-om-d-e-m1-with-12-40mm-lens?cPath=405_913_857

Though I'd have a chat to some locals to see if I could get it matched. (probably should have a chat to GG's first too, to check the fine print...)

Guy Parsons
Forum ProPosts: 19,463Gear list
Like?

cpt kent wrote:

Great advice but I can't find anything strong enough - and a trip to the doc for a prescription would add an extra $7...

And more, as there's going to be an extra $5 cost on the prescription as well as that extra $7 for the doctor visit. It happens every time, the Libs have to chop like mad to sort out the mess that Labour leaves behind.

Deal is at:

http://gerrygibbscamerawarehouse.com.au/olympus-om-d-e-m1-with-12-40mm-lens?cPath=405_913_857

Though I'd have a chat to some locals to see if I could get it matched. (probably should have a chat to GG's first too, to check the fine print...)

Gerry has some spectacular discounts at times, but they disappear fast, so make your mind up very soon.

I generally bounce between digidirect , digitalcamerawarehouse , cambuy , discountcameras for a few to check prices but keep an eye on JB HiFi as some stores seem to have non-advertised specials at times.

If you can afford to have an overseas trip within 60 days of purchase then the $1699 falls to $1517.27 as the GST off $1999 comes back to you. That would make the package quite cheap compared to anywhere else in the world.

Regards....... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +17 more
cpt kent
Like?

Thanks. That's exactly what half my brain is telling me...

cpt kent
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 7 months ago

You're right, it would be duplication (though also improvement) to some degree. I'd probably not sell the E-M5 or 14-54, they would still have there uses.

If I ask myself "do I need to get a 12-40", the answer is no. I'm not a pro, so I don't really need any of it to survive. But I'm pretty sure I can still make an argument for the purchase!

cpt kent
Like?
In reply to letsgofishing, 7 months ago

letsgofishing wrote:

I really don't think there's going to be an update to the EM5.

What's your reasoning / theory?

SidSnot
Regular MemberPosts: 354
Like?

I went through all of this torment over the weekend too - DigiDirect had a great deal on the EM1 body and I was so close to ordering one to replace my EM5 but then when you look at the going price of a 2nd hnd EM5 body (especially now the Oly Aus cash back deal is on) it would have cost me too much just to get the extra features of the EM1 that it has over the EM5, especially when you consider the lame implementation of the wi-fi (no way to connect to a PC).

So, I ended up actually spending a bit more than I intended but instead went in the opposite direction and bought a Panasonic GM1 as an additional camera to my OMD.

This way I get the best of both worlds - my OMD for serious photo outings and the teeny GM1 for just carrying around in a pocket for casual shooting.

IMHO it's a great combo - the GM1 has some great features including a fully implanted wi-fi setup and far better video than my EM5 (and EM1!)

OK so I spent a bit more than an EM1 upgrade (after selling the EM5) but I end up with a back up camera that can use all the same lenses and it will also be good for the two of us to use together on holidays etc etc...

Very impressed with the GM1's capabilities so far...

BTW I also think there will be no replacement for the EM5, the EM1 is way too close in size and features...

It looks to me as though the EM5 will slowly fade away and we will be left with EM10/EM1 and ongoing updates of these two.

Just MHO...

davidrm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,349
Like?

I've found that pre-emptive buyer's remorse is a good cure.   For example realising that after I would have bought an E-M1, I'd be approx CHF 2,100 worse off, and there would be no real-world difference in the photos that I would have made if I'd carried on using my E-P3.

GAS cured. Money available for travel/vacation.

-- hide signature --

Blogs and galleries at http://www.snowhenge.net
E-System photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowhenge/

cpt kent
Like?
In reply to davidrm, 7 months ago

I can see the logic in that, and to some degree I've already been down that path. As a miser if rather have the cash, or out it towards my morgage.

One voice tells me the E-M1 would be the body that would fulfill my needs for the forseable future, that there would be no need to upgrade to whatever comes next. Another voice tells me even if I upgraded now, I'll still be tempted by whatever comes next, and would be back to square one resisting gas...

cpt kent
Like?
In reply to SidSnot, 7 months ago

Thanks. YHO has some valid points.

cpt kent
Like?

Well this isn't quite over...

So I've managed to satisfy most points....

• I took some medication for my GAS. And resolved to do nothing...
  • when I woke I was still considering my options...
  • Pre-emotive buyers remorse, etc, kept me calm for a few more days...
  • I though about Jims comment (http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53673081) and recognised that I may have duplications in my system....
  • I thought that if I wasn't using my Olympus 12mm so much, it could probably go.... I'll never part with the 45/60/75 combo though. Makes me realise what I have and haven't been using.
  • By selling the 12mm (for no loss, as I brought it 2nd hand), and with the current Olympus rebates, I'd be able to purchase the E-M1 & 12-40 combo for $1070 (online) or $1220 (at the local store)

So I'd be getting the lens I want, without adding to my kit, and the E-M1 for an additional (depending on how you do the maths) $200 or less...

Deal or no deal?

novaoz
Regular MemberPosts: 144Gear list
Like?

Can I ask where you can get it for $1220 after rebate?

I am currently searching for the best deal I can get ...

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Peter from Norfolk Is.

novaoz's gear list:novaoz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +4 more
cpt kent
Like?
In reply to novaoz, 7 months ago

novaoz wrote:

Can I ask where you can get it for $1220 after rebate?

I am currently searching for the best deal I can get ...

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Peter from Norfolk Is.

Teds (online) quoted me $2150, less the $300 rebate, less the $630 someone is offering me for my 12mm, = $1220.

Or Gerry Gibbs Cameras, online, quoted $1999, but I'd probably rather buy from a store around the corner, than one on the other side of the country, as a little 'insurance', should anything go wrong.

flacko_man
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?

Deal

flacko_man's gear list:flacko_man's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads