A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Corpy2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,021
Like?
A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused
5 months ago

Now I'm really confused.

I needed another camera for certain shooting situations since my E-M1 really does not do great continuous Autofocus (though it's pretty darn godo in other ways). So I was thinking of the upcoming A77ii. But now I see the A6000 has virtually the same specs. Same APS-C, almost same frame rate, and (maybe?) same continuous autofocus capability.

So what's the deal here? The A77ii is almost double the cost of the A6000.

Can someone please explain? What's the dif?

Olympus E-M1 Sony a6000 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,226Gear list
Like?
Re: A6000 vs. A77ii Continuous AF - Very confused
In reply to Corpy2, 5 months ago

We will see...I expect the 77II will smoke the 6000, but who knows?

steelhead3's gear list:steelhead3's gear list
Sony a77 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
someguy50
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?

I believe a77ii will be faster. Constant focusing due to SLT, and like the a6000, built for speed.

Corpy2
Like?
In reply to someguy50, 5 months ago

someguy50 wrote:

I believe a77ii will be faster. Constant focusing due to SLT, and like the a6000, built for speed.

Even taking into consideration the lack of in-body stabilization, this does not account for a doubling in price.

steelhead3
Like?

That is what is cool about the nex series, very inexpensive.

Sony a77 II
thebustos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,947Gear list
Like?

The A77ii has AF micro adjust, semi-magnesium alloy body, weather sealed, IBIS, more dedicated and customizable controls, and maybe a more sophisticated AF system.

As far as IBIS, you pay more for an A-Mount body with it than an E-Mount body without it, but E-Mount lenses generally cost a bit more so it kind of balances out a bit.
--
Good luck and happy shooting!

thebustos's gear list:thebustos's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 30mm F2.8 Macro SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +9 more
Corpy2
Like?
In reply to thebustos, 5 months ago

thebustos wrote:

The A77ii has AF micro adjust, semi-magnesium alloy body, weather sealed, IBIS, more dedicated and customizable controls, and maybe a more sophisticated AF system.

As far as IBIS, you pay more for an A-Mount body with it than an E-Mount body without it, but E-Mount lenses generally cost a bit more so it kind of balances out a bit.
--

Uh, oh. Is there a *need* for AF micro adjusting? I thought that was the province of Canon cameras.

steelhead3
Like?

You don't have an understanding of the differences of cdaf and pdaf

Sony a77 II
Corpy2
Like?
In reply to steelhead3, 5 months ago

steelhead3 wrote:

Not the gritty details, no. Will knowing them help answer the question?

VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407Gear list
Like?

Corpy2 wrote:

Now I'm really confused.

I needed another camera for certain shooting situations since my E-M1 really does not do great continuous Autofocus (though it's pretty darn godo in other ways). So I was thinking of the upcoming A77ii. But now I see the A6000 has virtually the same specs. Same APS-C, almost same frame rate, and (maybe?) same continuous autofocus capability.

• Bigger body, more materials.
  • Better build quality with weather sealing.
  • IBIS.
  • Higher resolution EVF.
  • Better LCD screen (RGBW vs RGB).
  • LCD screen has more articulating points.
  • Dedicated PDAF sensor allows continuous AF even while the shutter is in action.
  • Higher frame rate.
  • More buttons, dials, and inputs.
  • Faster max shutter speed (1/8000s vs 1/4000s).
  • Greater flash sync speed (1/250s vs 1/160s).
  • More powerful built-in flash.
  • Probably a longer shutter life (150,000 vs speculated 100,000).

There are probably a few other things I am missing, but this is a quick run down.

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
Evildogofdoom
Regular MemberPosts: 427Gear list
Like?
PDAF -CDAF

Corpy2 wrote:

steelhead3 wrote:

Not the gritty details, no. Will knowing them help answer the question?

In short, yes.

Evildogofdoom's gear list:Evildogofdoom's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,407Gear list
Like?
In reply to thebustos, 5 months ago

thebustos wrote:

--

AF micro adjust shouldn't be needed when the AF sensors are located directly on the sensor. It's one of the perks.

Now on that same topic, the A6000 does have AF micro adjust capability when using the Sony A-mount adapters that have the dedicated PDAF sensor (LA-EA2 or LA-EA4 if I recall correctly).

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony 50mm F1.4 Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +24 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,343Gear list
Like?

Corpy2 wrote:

someguy50 wrote:

Even taking into consideration the lack of in-body stabilization, this does not account for a doubling in price.

Its cheaper than E-M1 (to put that in perspective). So, in a way, a77 II might be a steal... although priced in line with its direct competitors: 70D and D7100.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
bimmerman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,375
Like?
Olympus EM-1 not good for C-AF???

Corpy2 wrote:

Now I'm really confused.

Dude! I have the EM-1 and about what you've just said about its C-AF... Well... Ok, you're right about the C-AF. I wish it were better with all their claims about that fancy Olympus "Dual Fast AF" incorporating Phase detect sensors on the imaging sensor and yadda yadda yadda... Fact is, it's quite hopeless in practice. For that reason I am holding back on the upcoming Olympus 40-150 F2.8 lens. Perhaps getting a 4/3 lens like the Olympus 50-200SWD will yield better C-AF results and I was considering just that until Sony announced the A77II.

I'm not in the position to comment about the A6000 but if the A77II can C-AF while maintaining a smooth viewfinder image i'm sold! The Olympus EM-1 not only has poor C-AF but the viewfinder refresh lags terribly when the camera is doing C-AF.

+1 for the Sony A77II

123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,268Gear list
Like?
In reply to VirtualMirage, 5 months ago

Which makes the A6000 lighter to carry.

Weather sealing is nice. But the build quality of the A6000 is pretty decent.

• IBIS.

Lens based OSS works better than IBIS.

• Higher resolution EVF.

A6000's EVF is just fine.

I'm an 100% LCD guy myself, and I would appreciate that. I can set the LCD of the A6000 to "outdoor" more, but at times I wish it was brighter.

LCD screen of the A6000 is done just fine.

• Dedicated PDAF sensor allows continuous AF even while the shutter is in action.

A6000's sensor based PDAF keeps up just fine, even at full burst

• Higher frame rate.

12fps vs 11fps? Pretty much the same.

A6000 has plenty of button. Also, its menu layout is very good, and the Fn function is very helpful.

True, but how often would you need faster than 1/4000s though?

Is that really important?

True, but the A6000 needs less flash power due to its better sensitivity. Besides, it's much more fun to avoid flash altogether using a focal reducer with a fast legacy lens. Eg. a 50mm f/1.4 lens becomes a 35mm f/1.0 lens... That's bright where you can avoid flash in pretty low light conditions.

Nah.

There are probably a few other things I am missing, but this is a quick run down.

The A6000 with 18-105 f/4 G lens is a great combination. The video is awesome on it. Very low light video capabilities, and you can set the aperture from wide open to like f/10+ and still retain continuous auto focus. For stills, the number of pdaf + cdaf auto focus points are very high and they're *all* over the frame. You can select wide area continuous focus mode which capture super high action very effectively. There are a bunch of other new things, that the A77ii may or may not have. Lock on AF with shutter for instance. What happens there is you focus on an object, after which is starts tracking it automatically and it won't lose it anywhere in the frame. You can then recompose and burst at your heart's content. The subject can move closer or further, and the continuous AF will track it perfectly, even at 11fps shooting.

The A77ii may be also a great camera, but it's not going to crush it by any means.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,502
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, 5 months ago

123Mike wrote:

... A6000 lighter to carry.... build quality of the A6000 is pretty decent... Lens based OSS works better than IBIS... A6000's EVF is just fine... LCD screen of the A6000 is done just fine... A6000's sensor based PDAF keeps up just fine... 12fps vs 11fps? Pretty much the same... A6000 has plenty of button... how often would you need faster than 1/4000s though?... Is that really important?... it's much more fun to avoid flash altogether using a focal reducer... Nah.

Rather than offering a lot of weak counterpoints ('the A6000 is just fine') that imply how nearly equal the two cameras are, how about responding to the OP's question and explaining why you think the A6000 is priced so much cheaper than the A77II if they are nearly equal?

123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,268Gear list
Like?
In reply to sybersitizen, 5 months ago

sybersitizen wrote:

123Mike wrote:

... A6000 lighter to carry.... build quality of the A6000 is pretty decent... Lens based OSS works better than IBIS... A6000's EVF is just fine... LCD screen of the A6000 is done just fine... A6000's sensor based PDAF keeps up just fine... 12fps vs 11fps? Pretty much the same... A6000 has plenty of button... how often would you need faster than 1/4000s though?... Is that really important?... it's much more fun to avoid flash altogether using a focal reducer... Nah.

Rather than offering a lot of weak counterpoints ('the A6000 is just fine') that imply how nearly equal the two cameras are, how about responding to the OP's question and explaining why you think the A6000 is priced so much cheaper than the A77II if they are nearly equal?

Product positioning, marketing. With E-mount cameras they hope you'll buy expensive E-mount lenses for one.

And the A6000 is not just fine, it absolutely rocks.

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +4 more
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,910Gear list
Like?

Corpy2 wrote:

Now I'm really confused.

Currently if AF-C and tracking is concerned I suggest looking at nikon D7100/D300. Weather A77ii matches its tracking capabilities no body really knows yet. So far no sony camera matches it, not even A6K lol. I am not sure A6K will even manage to track as well as A77.

Plus a-mount will have lot more telephoto options. Not to mention some good old minolta lenses.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
JamieTux
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,811Gear list
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, 5 months ago

123Mike wrote:

Mike - like normal, I'm glad you're happy with your decision and your kit - however the OP asked for an explanation of what's different about the A77II to make it double the price...  Paul gave a very objective good list and for some reason you appear to have taken it personally and tried to defend each point and turn it into a subjective one.
I'm not going to tit for tat your responses as there's no value to the discussion but the thing to remember is that not everyone has the same wants and needs as you.

The A6000 with 18-105 f/4 G lens is a great combination. The video is awesome on it. Very low light video capabilities, and you can set the aperture from wide open to like f/10+ and still retain continuous auto focus. For stills, the number of pdaf + cdaf auto focus points are very high and they're *all* over the frame. You can select wide area continuous focus mode which capture super high action very effectively. There are a bunch of other new things, that the A77ii may or may not have. Lock on AF with shutter for instance.

It does have that - plus better tracking from a user selected starting point (without the green box following) - it has more focus options than the A6000 - plus one of my most missed features - a dedicated front of body switch for changing focus type

The A77ii may be also a great camera, but it's not going to crush it by any means.

Where did ANYONE say that - or even anything negative about the A6000 at all?

JamieTux's gear list:JamieTux's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +12 more
Corpy2
Like?
In reply to VirtualMirage, 5 months ago

VirtualMirage wrote:

Corpy2 wrote:

Now I'm really confused.

• IBIS.
  • Higher resolution EVF.
  • Higher frame rate.

Thank you.

What does this mean: "Dedicated PDAF sensor allows continuous AF even while the shutter is in action"?

If one is in continuous mode, and holding down the shutter, and shooting, is one not always in "in action?" How would the a6000 not be doing this?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads