I've been shooting RAW for years... not any more! X-T1

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
ScottP123
Junior MemberPosts: 27Gear list
Like?
I've been shooting RAW for years... not any more! X-T1
6 months ago

I can't help but think that I will resume shooting in RAW again sometime... Right!?!?

I switched to JPEG fine only over the weekend to shoot action shots at my son's Lacrosse Tournament. I forgot to go back to RAW and shot more photos in JPEG.

The image file quality from the X-T1 is simply amazing to me. Are others finding the same thing.

For those of you that are shooting RAW what is the distinct advantage that you are experiencing by doing so?

The following images were capture in JPEG and processed with Capture NX... Thanks, Scott

-- hide signature --

The cleanliness of theory... is no match for the clutter of reality.

ScottP123's gear list:ScottP123's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D800 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +7 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jl_smith
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,406Gear list
Like?
Nice shots -- I still shoot RAW though
In reply to ScottP123, 6 months ago

First, nice shots, and Fuji has the best JPEGs in the business IMO

That said, I still shoot RAW+JPEG.  Why you ask?  Easy - sometimes I like to edit the photo in a heavy fashion, and RAW lets me do that.

Plus, when I'm rushed, sometimes I like having the RAW as a backup because I can shoot which film simulation I want to start with later

And, if we must pixel peep - I can get more IQ from a properly processed RAW file.

Those things said, I'm certainly comfortable with JPEG-only, as long as I have the time to set up the camera appropriately between each shot.

-- hide signature --

JL Smith
www.smithclicks.com
www.flickr.com/photos/jl_smith

jl_smith's gear list:jl_smith's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jm10
Senior MemberPosts: 1,208Gear list
Like?
Re: I've been shooting RAW for years... not any more! X-T1

RAW + JPEG for me; the ability to pull out more details from a RAW file when appropriate and a better chance to deal with highlight recovery (happens to me alot...).

Nice shots! I like the #5 most of all but curious about the processing - when examining 100% you can see a fine square pattern like a mesh - is this intentional or possibly artifacts from Capture NX processing?

Thanks for posting!

jacob

jm10's gear list:jm10's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

"For those of you that are shooting RAW what is the distinct advantage that you are experiencing by doing so?"

Your fine, attractive examples are not lit by light with different color temperatures. Also, the exposure and dynamic range are not particularly challenging. I say this with absolutely no negative connotation or implication whatsoever. It's just the nature of the scenes you shared. And, they are lovely scenes.

t turns out the information destroyed during JPEG compression is redundant when:

• The exposure is perfect
  • The dynamic range does not exceed the camera's data stream dynamic range
  • The white balance is perfect

Otherwise the discarded information during JPEG compression is required to the render the best possible image.

The more the above deviates from perfection, using all the data recorded when the shutter was open brings more benefit.

The scenes in my work typically have mixed color temperature and challenge the camera's dynamic range and signal-to-noise ratio (especially for shadow regions.I can expose for highlight detail or for optimum shadow region detail,,, but not for both.

Even when the scene is not that difficult, I can make exposure mistakes.

For my work in-camera JPEG compression is too risky for the benefit

There are the distinct reasons why I never rely on in-camera JPEGs,

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +20 more
mmckeller
Forum MemberPosts: 73
Like?

Still RAW + Fine JPEG for me, too; I guess I just like feeling I have more options in post.  Really nice looking shots, though - except #5 looks way overcooked compared to the others; much more noise, sharpening artifacts, and a very pronounced halo around the top edges of the rocks - like maybe the sky was replaced with one from another image.  It also looks sort of HDR-ish; was DR set to 400 on this one, or maybe shadows and highlights pushed and pulled a lot in post?

Mike

Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?

White balance.

Highlight recovery.

Both of which your otherwise fine images could do with attention to.

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 +16 more
Miki Nemeth
Contributing MemberPosts: 692Gear list
Like?
William Chutton's excellent summary of why use RAW
In reply to wchutt, 6 months ago

wchutt wrote:

It turns out the information destroyed during JPEG compression is redundant when:

Otherwise the discarded information during JPEG compression is required to the render the best possible image.

The more the above deviates from perfection, using all the data recorded when the shutter was open brings more benefit.

The scenes in my work typically have mixed color temperature and challenge the camera's dynamic range and signal-to-noise ratio (especially for shadow regions.I can expose for highlight detail or for optimum shadow region detail, but not for both.

Excellent summary. Thank You very much, William. All the best, Miki

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Sony Alpha 7 Fujifilm X-A1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +22 more
howardfuhrman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603
Like?

Very nice photos.

clockface
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

Oooh oooh a RAW vs JPG thread; my favourite. Let's add in a little filter vs no-filter touch and it will be the start of a perfect day.

Anyone detect the sarcasm?

seukel
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
In reply to wchutt, 6 months ago

"For those of you that are shooting RAW what is the distinct advantage that you are experiencing by doing so?"

Your fine, attractive examples are not lit by light with different color temperatures. Also, the exposure and dynamic range are not particularly challenging. I say this with absolutely no negative connotation or implication whatsoever. It's just the nature of the scenes you shared. And, they are lovely scenes.

t turns out the information destroyed during JPEG compression is redundant when:

The scenes in my work typically have mixed color temperature and challenge the camera's dynamic range and signal-to-noise ratio (especially for shadow regions.I can expose for highlight detail or for optimum shadow region detail,,, but not for both.

For my work in-camera JPEG compression is too risky for the benefit

There are the distinct reasons why I never rely on in-camera JPEGs,

Oh, no! Not again! How many threads on raw vs jpg have we had?
Peter
--
Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
Oscar Wilde

uniball
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?

I use RAW when I need it. Night shooting, high light contrast shots. Otherwise is just about all jpeg.

Fuji is the first camera I've taken this approach with and I find it senseless to simply put the camera in raw only anymore. I use Custon Settings to toggle between what I want to shoot with.

Nice shots.

ScottP123
Like?
In reply to seukel, 6 months ago

Good morning!

This is the first thread that I have read on "jpeg vs raw". I'm new to the forum.

Just curious, if you have read so many... why are you reading another one!

Happy shooting!!!

-- hide signature --

Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D800 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +7 more
ScottP123
Like?
In reply to uniball, 6 months ago

uniball wrote:

I use RAW when I need it. Night shooting, high light contrast shots. Otherwise is just about all jpeg.

Fuji is the first camera I've taken this approach with and I find it senseless to simply put the camera in raw only anymore. I use Custon Settings to toggle between what I want to shoot with.

Nice shots.

I can relate to what you say. As a Nikon shooter I shot only in RAW because I didn't want the image processing "baked" into the image file of a jpeg.

Now, shooting a Fuji camera the "in camera" processing is so attractive for everyday snapshots that I don't want to fool with RAW fliles for everyday stuff.

Makes total sense to utilize custom settings to toggle back and forth as desired.

Thanks for the comment.

Happy shooting!!!

-- hide signature --

SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,652Gear list
Like?

Knowing all too well how shots posted on the internet tend to degrade in the first place, I won't comment too harshly on what I'm seeing. I DO agree the Jpeg performance of the X-T1 is above most all I've used to date and that includes top pro DSLR's. HOWEVER as they say "with that said", in cases where there is considerable dynamci range (light to dark differences such as sunsets) shooting in RAW CAN indeed render at least 2 full stops advantage over Jpeg shots. It's just a electro mechanical reality. In many (dare I say most) instances when properly exposed, a Jpeg shot for all intents and purposes can render a file that when printed will be either indistinguishable to possibly even better (due to the wonderful in camera processing) to a RAW shot. Some of your shots show some very odd intense noise pattern, so I'll just chalk that up to the internet compression issues. What I've said stands. If you are not dealing with a truly demanding scene Jpeg is perfectly fine indeed and certainly does make for an easier work flow. With this camera I'd even say shooting both large Jpegs AND RAW is a possible advantage as you can file the RAW file away and just use the Jpegs for ease of processing. if you run across a difficult scene you can tweak the RAW file more. It's a Win Win scenario for sure.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-T1 Camera, Fuji 18-55 f2.8-f4 Lens, Fuji 55-200 f4-f5.6 Lens, Fuji 23mm f1.4 Lens, Fuji 56mm f1.2R Lens, waiting for the Fuji mount Nissin i40 Flash, Picturecode PhotoNinja, Adobe Lightroom 5.4

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,114Gear list
Like?

That is what I have said.  With a few exceptions to include time lapse, RAW is not necessary because the JPEGs are that good here with Fuji X.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
fluxism
Regular MemberPosts: 390
Like?

as long as you don't ever shoot at high iso

kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?

I agree, I rarely (if ever) shoot RAW with my X100 or X-E1...I'm careful with my exposure and I keep the in camera NR to -2.  Other than that, I'm thrilled with the JPG's.  I do have a Sony RX10 (something where Fuji just doesn't have a competitor, especially with video) and to get the best IQ I find myself using RAW again. The jpg are fine, but nothing like I get from Fuji jpg, even compared to the ones from my little X10.  Fuji just knows in camera processing VERY well.

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (PM with Q's vs. a public post please)
http://www.kwaphoto.com

kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,830Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 6 months ago

ryan2007 wrote:

That is what I have said. With a few exceptions to include time lapse, RAW is not necessary because the JPEGs are that good here with Fuji X.

It depends.  I like to pull the most DR out of the sensor.  8-bit RAWS just can't be pushed as far as 14-bit RAW files.  JPEG is not necessary for me, but I'm glad there's an option for both.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +5 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to seukel, 6 months ago

Well Peter, all I did was answer Scott's question as specifically as possible.

I went out of my way to describe the basis for my choice in a non-confrontational, non-judgmental way. I made no attempt to influence or convince others. I did not demean, or defame those who have different priorities.

Scott asked a specific question and I provided a specific answer.

I found your comment to be hypocritical.

wchutt's gear list:wchutt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +20 more
spatz
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?

First of all, these are nice images as they are.

However, if the sunset image had been shot in raw, it would have allowed you to experiment with the shadow areas - I'm not saying that would necessarily result in a better image, but a different one.

Yes, you're getting nice images from Jpg alone, but I see no harm in shooting Raw+Jpg, since disk space (even properly backed up space) really isn't an issue for still images. That way, you can have the quick jpg workflow if you want quick results, but for the few shots where Raw would give you something extra, you retain that option.

Also, with the increased processing speed, it will take absolutely no effort to automatically develop all your old raw images in five years time, with the latest demosaicing and noise reduction algorithms, and color profiles. Not shooting Raw now denies you that possibility.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads