EV Mistake While Shooting Raw... help

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
larryis1
Regular MemberPosts: 459Gear list
Like?
EV Mistake While Shooting Raw... help
2 months ago

Today I was at Windsor Castle and could kick myself.  I inadvertently moved the EV value to -2, and it affected a  bunch of photos thus under exposing them.  Very disappointed in myself...  Can I correct this big mistake in post processing by selecting no EV correction as I was shooting Raw?   First time I made this mistake, would  appreciate your insights.

Thanks,  Larry

larryis1's gear list:larryis1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
hotdog321
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,220
Like?
Re: EV Mistake While Shooting Raw... help
In reply to larryis1, 2 months ago

You are going to lose some shadow detail, but you may be surprised at how good the photos look with a little post processing. RAW is really good for fixing flubs.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Joe Mayer
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?

larryis1 wrote:

Today I was at Windsor Castle and could kick myself. I inadvertently moved the EV value to -2, and it affected a bunch of photos thus under exposing them. Very disappointed in myself... Can I correct this big mistake in post processing by selecting no EV correction as I was shooting Raw? First time I made this mistake, would appreciate your insights.

Thanks, Larry

You actually correct it by selecting +2 EV to compensate.  With luck, the photos will look fine depending upon what was underexposed.  Depending on taste and what is underexposed, you may even find using less will be satisfactory.  Let's just hope you don't need more.  And don't worry about the mistake.  Now you know that the lock switch is there for a reason and you can get in the habit of either using it or check you pics on the back lcd once in a blue to remind you that you have switched settings by accident or on purpose and may need to switch them again.  Good luck recovering the photos.

Joe Mayer's gear list:Joe Mayer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,483Gear list
Like?

You need to process carefully. It's critical to exposure optimally with Canon sensor while Sony sensor has larger room.

When I got 5D3 I also had experience in accidentally bumping EC as Canon changes the way in adjusting EC by default with the big dial wheel (that is too easy in bumping) in 5D3 from 5D2/5D1. Since I move the LOCK switch to lock position by default to prevent this issue as similar in the default 2nd stop in 5D2/5D1 knob switch. When I need to EC I move LOCK switch to unlock position, make change and LOCK again. I am used to it now but hope adjusting EC is as easy as in my Sony A7R (that has a dedicated wheel on top or I programmed in Down push on the back dial wheel and change in EVF/back LCD).

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +19 more
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,497
Like?

Well, 2 stops are a lot to recover. Give it a try, but learn from your mistake.
--
- Bill

Hombre de Maiz
Regular MemberPosts: 234
Like?

Make it a practice to refer to the histogram every or every few exposures,

Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?
In reply to Hombre de Maiz, 2 months ago

Hombre de Maiz wrote:

Better practice is to  pay attention to the readout in the viewfinder yeah ?

larryis1
Like?
In reply to Dareshooter, 2 months ago

Hombre de Maiz wrote:

Better practice is to  pay attention to the readout in the viewfinder yeah ?

Thank you for your feedback, it is abundantly clear to tlme now what I need to do in the future.

I posted to determine not want to do in the future, but what to do to recover from my mistake.

Canon PowerShot S100 Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Dareshooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112
Like?

larryis1 wrote:

Hombre de Maiz wrote:

Better practice is to pay attention to the readout in the viewfinder yeah ?

Thank you for your feedback, it is abundantly clear to tlme now what I need to do in the future.

I posted to determine not want to do in the future, but what to do to recover from my mistake.

Your welcome.My response was based on the what the previous poster suggested and wasn't aimed at you because you've realised your mistake. Just as well you weren't shooting film.Imagine shooting a couple of rolls of transparency's before discovering your mistake ? Now that's when you learn to look around the viewfinder

qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,483Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dareshooter, 2 months ago

Dareshooter wrote:

larryis1 wrote:

Hombre de Maiz wrote:

Your welcome.My response was based on the what the previous poster suggested and wasn't aimed at you because you've realised your mistake. Just as well you weren't shooting film.Imagine shooting a couple of rolls of transparency's before discovering your mistake ? Now that's when you learn to look around the viewfinder

However with my own experience sometime I didn't pay much attention in VF particularly in hurry to snap something. Shoot first and view later. As I said earlier build a habit to LOCK by default, unlock for EC and lock again. Once you get used to it, such mistake never have a chance in the first place.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +19 more
Joe Mayer
Forum MemberPosts: 84Gear list
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, 2 months ago

qianp2k wrote:

Dareshooter wrote:

larryis1 wrote:

Hombre de Maiz wrote:

However with my own experience sometime I didn't pay much attention in VF particularly in hurry to snap something. Shoot first and view later. As I said earlier build a habit to LOCK by default, unlock for EC and lock again. Once you get used to it, such mistake never have a chance in the first place.

Exactly.  I'm not directing this to the OP as he's realized his little goof and just wanted to get past it.  But to those who shoot, you do really need to get into a habit of being aware of your camera settings as much as what is in the viewfinder.  I learned long ago to not get caught up in the moment and pay as much attention to what settings I have changed to fit a particular shot, then pause before going onto the next to think about what was changed and to change it back.  Do it enough and it becomes second nature.

Joe Mayer's gear list:Joe Mayer's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +1 more
Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,302Gear list
Like?
Larry...

Just take you raw files in Lightroom or whatever raw processor you use.  Bump the exposure up two stops and adjust tonality to taste to compensate for the change in values.   You may need to reduce chroma noise a bit as it may show in the shadows....but that would probably not show in any print size.  A two stop plus comp is really nothing to worry about in post....now if you were two stops over in exposure, you'd probably have blown one of the color channels and it would be game over.

Show us a sample of what you came up with after the fix.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +15 more
larryis1
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, 2 months ago

Dareshooter wrote:

larryis1 wrote:

Hombre de Maiz wrote:

Thank you, that is what I am doing now.

PhilPreston3072
Senior MemberPosts: 1,667Gear list
Like?
In reply to Joe Mayer, 2 months ago

Joe Mayer wrote:

larryis1 wrote:

Today I was at Windsor Castle and could kick myself. I inadvertently moved the EV value to -2, and it affected a bunch of photos thus under exposing them. Very disappointed in myself... Can I correct this big mistake in post processing by selecting no EV correction as I was shooting Raw? First time I made this mistake, would appreciate your insights.

Thanks, Larry

You actually correct it by selecting +2 EV to compensate. With luck, the photos will look fine depending upon what was underexposed. Depending on taste and what is underexposed, you may even find using less will be satisfactory. Let's just hope you don't need more. And don't worry about the mistake. Now you know that the lock switch is there for a reason and you can get in the habit of either using it or check you pics on the back lcd once in a blue to remind you that you have switched settings by accident or on purpose and may need to switch them again. Good luck recovering the photos.

Agreed.

And if you use Canon's Raw software (DPP) it's very easy to fix the whole bunch of photos in one go.

In thumbnail view select all the photos that had -2EV. Select by clicking on the first thumbnail of the bunch and then shift clicking the last thumbnail of the bunch. All the thumbnails in the series with -2EV should be highlighted now.

Then press CTRL T to bring up the tool palette.

Select the Raw tab at the top.

Slide the "Brightness Adjustment" slider to 2.00, which is +2EV, and that's it. All the shots that you selected with -2EV will now be corrected back to 0EV. If you are concerned about the increase in noise you can apply some Noise Reduction.

PhilPreston3072's gear list:PhilPreston3072's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
slashtom
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
In reply to PhilPreston3072, 2 months ago

If you shoot in Manual mode, you will never have this problem. ;p Only because you're always configuring your exposure triangle to create the perfect exposure, or to manually HDR.

larryis1
Like?
In reply to slashtom, 2 months ago

Thanks everyone for your help.  I was able to correct the photos that were taken at -2EV using the batch process in ACDsee Pro 7 by increasing everything by +2EV in the raw develop mode of the software.  Overall, I was pleased with the outcome, and my sensitivity to this potential problem has been elevated.  The big wheel on the back of my 6D is now locked.  My routine is now to make sure I immediately lock the wheel after each use to adjust EV.

Take care,

Larry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads