Travel photography - what's in your bag?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Herbieo
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
Travel photography - what's in your bag?
4 months ago

Hi all!

Off to China in a few weeks visiting Shanghai and surrounding countryside. Expecting to take a lot of cityscape, street and landscape photos. Some landscapes including large bodies of water such as lakes.

My kit is as follows:

X100S
X-E2
10-24
18-55
Rocket blower
Lens pen/cloths
Lee Seven5 filter system with adapters for X100S and 10-24 with 0.9 hard ND grad, CPL & big stopper
Eclipse cleaning fluid/papers
2 NP-95 and 4 NP-W126 batteries
2 x 8GB, 2 x 16GB & 1 x 32GB SDHC cards
Tripod
MacBook Air for storing photos

Is there anything else I should be thinking about packing?

I haven't travelled with my kit on a longish holiday for some time. Last trip was 2 years ago with D700, 24-70, 50, 70-200 and 2 x converter - much heavier and took up much more space than everything listed above.

I have considered getting more ND grads but usually only use for landscapes, little experience for cityscapes and understand soft grads are more useful for city shooting. Any thoughts?

For those of you that have been to Shanghai before or maybe live there now do you recommend any photo hotspots both in and around the city? I will be visiting for 2 weeks.

Thanks for any helpful and constructive comments. Looking forward to the trip and hope to get the most out of a new photo opportunity in a very different setting to the English countryside that I'm familiar with.

Chris

Herbieo's gear list:Herbieo's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
flyxray
Regular MemberPosts: 106Gear list
Like?
Re: Travel photography - what's in your bag?
In reply to Herbieo, 4 months ago

Yes.  Passport.

flyxray's gear list:flyxray's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Herbieo
Like?
In reply to flyxray, 4 months ago

Yes.  Passport.

Thanks would be a short trip without it.

Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
flbrit
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,006Gear list
Like?

How do you like your hard grad? On wa (less than about 70mm in FX terms) I prefer soft grads. Lee themselves suggest hard grades are best used on Tele lenses and I find myself agreeing.

Personally, on such a trip, I would leave the 56 at home and take a lens you do not have, the 55-200 zoom.

Very much an individual choice, I agree, but I often like tele landscapes.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
mainger
Regular MemberPosts: 342Gear list
Like?

I would pack a bus-powered external hard drive, for backup purposes, unless you have enough sd cards to not format any during the whole trip.

mainger's gear list:mainger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
MrChristopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 936Gear list
Like?

My travel kit includes an x100, EFX20 flash and an Ona bag. And passport.
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Limburger
Senior MemberPosts: 4,046Gear list
Like?

Two chargers for each type of battery.

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Mupepe
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
In reply to flyxray, 4 months ago

I use a small bag with X-E2, 18-55, 55-200, EF42, 3 batteries, polarizer, small tripod, cable release, blower, charger. Very light, I can walk for hours.

Mupepe's gear list:Mupepe's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
MrFlash
Contributing MemberPosts: 593Gear list
Like?

I would probably leave the 18-55 at home to save bulk and weight. The x100s and the X-E1 with the 56 make an excellent travel kit. Throw in the 10-24 and you have everything covered.

My travel kit: x100s, X-A1, 60 macro and 14mm lenses. It's a tiny, lightweight, versatile and very high quality kit.

+1 on extra chargers.

+1 on lots of memory cards. Hard drives crash, computers and camera bags get stolen, memories get lost. When on an important trip, when a memory card gets full, I download the files to my laptop and mail the card back home.

Take 2~3 tall white plastic kitchen-sized trash bags and a few zip lock bags. No specific reason, but they don't add any bulk or weight and I seem to always find a use for them. A few desiccant packs can come in handy too.

-- hide signature --

MrFlash

MrFlash's gear list:MrFlash's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XQ1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
mark finn
Regular MemberPosts: 447
Like?
In reply to MrFlash, 4 months ago

X100 in leather case

Charger + 2 batteries

Memory cards and microfiber cloth.

And that's it.

Over the last couple of years I've travelled with a combination of X100, Xpro-1 and various zooms, primes and flashes and have found that the best experience has been with the least gear. As others have said, one focal length can be an incredibly liberating experience and I've found this to be especially the case with travel.

-- hide signature --

Please check out my photos at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/drmark/

jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?

Your American Express card!

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
ChristianHass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,925Gear list
Like?

My current travel kit is:

Fuji X100
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Gorillapod Hybrid
Memory cards and batteries
Netbook for backup and image culling.

-- hide signature --
 ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP1x Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony RX100 II
GearGuru
Regular MemberPosts: 266Gear list
Like?

My travel kit is the Fuji trinity:

10-24
18-55
55-200

Your covered for nearly everything - wide, normal, tele.

Small Lowe-pro bag with extra battery, extra memory cards, microfiber cloth, polarizer.

... passport and sense of adventure. Have fun

GearGuru's gear list:GearGuru's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +21 more
Herbieo
Like?
In reply to GearGuru, 4 months ago

Thanks for the tips everyone. Still no recommendations on good places to visit in and around Shanghai. Any suggestions? Anyone got experience of good photo destinations?

SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,514Gear list
Like?
  • X-T1 with battery grip attached
  • 18-55 OIS Lens
  • 55-200 OIS Lens
  • 23mm f1.4R Lens
  • EF-X8 stock flash (just in case)
  • Beseler Dust Gun (can) mini compressed air
  • B+W Kasemann Slim Circular Polarizer
  • B+W Variable 5 Stop ND filter
  • Lens Cloth(2)
  • Stock Batteries (3)
  • Battery Chargers (2)
  • Carbon Fiber Tripod with Manfrotto Ballhead

This would pretty much accommodate anything I'd need on the road. I would likely leave the 56mm f1.2R at home unless I felt I might run into some people stuff.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-T1 Camera, Fuji 18-55 f2.8-f4 Lens, Fuji 55-200 f4-f5.6 Lens, Fuji 23mm f1.4 Lens, Fuji 56mm f1.2R Lens, waiting for the Fuji mount Nissin i40 Flash, Picturecode PhotoNinja, Adobe Lightroom 5.4

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
KariP
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,496Gear list
Like?
My bag is smaller...

Lens no 1  is 18-55.  And the 10-24 can be a great companion with it - i really would like to get one !

Do you really need 56mm on a trip ?

And so many filters do you need so many of them ? ... i sometimes use a circular polarizer ( those lakes and waterways...)

And carrying a tripod on a trip ... you or your friends will hate it very likely.

A lightweight smaller bag will be much more comfortable when you walk around !

10mm (Canon)

18-55

-- hide signature --

Kari
SLR photography started in 1968, Canon DSLR cameras, lenses and now also a Fuji X-E1
60.21 N 24.86 E

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +8 more
Herbieo
Like?
Re: My bag is smaller...
In reply to KariP, 4 months ago

I guess the point that might be missed by some is that taking items doesn't necessarily mean carrying them all day everyday, but not having them at all will stop me scouting and returning later with things I might have needed and not had on me.

Thanks again for all the kit suggestions I am taking note.

Chris

Herbieo
Like?
Re: My bag is smaller...

P.S. My bag is a Hadley Pro with the detachable AVEA 5 add-ons. Pretty small and manageable when all trimmed down and comfortable with padded strap.

historianx
Contributing MemberPosts: 959Gear list
Like?
Travel Kit

Me: X100S, 3 batteries, 5 16GB SD cards, microfiber cloth, EFX20 Flash and 4 Eneloop XX AAAs, Polarizer, and strap, all in a small Domke bag.    Chargers in carry-on bag.

Her: Lumix FZ200 (ok for pics but great for video), polarizer, 3 batteries, 5 16GB SD cards, and microfiber cloth, all in a small Lowepro bag.

We share a Macbook Pro 13" Retina for dumping off pics, and don't need no steenkin' tripods.

That's it.  We're happy

historianx's gear list:historianx's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-5 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 +5 more
Bigbig
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?

I just came back from a two-week Germany trip. Inside my Domke satchel , I had my

• X-100s
  • X-Pro1
  • 14 mm 
  • 35 mm
  • 55-200 mm
  • extra x100s battery
  • extra X-Pro1 battery
  • Gordy's cross-body leather camera strap
  • EF-X20 flash
  • circular polarizer
  • ND filter
  • lens tissues
  • microfiber cloth
  • sunglasses
  • iPad mini

Not in the bag: Manfrotto Befree  travel tripod.

While I used most of my gear while on the road, I did get tired of carrying it during the last two days of the trip.

What I would consider doing for next time:

• Leave the ND filter at home. My x100s already has one
  • Leave the tripod at home. Carrying a tripod will probably improve my photography, but it's hard to carry all the aforementioned gear, plus the tripod. I only used it twice in Germany.
  • Carry less gear. If I'm brave enough, like a previous forum poster, I will only bring my x100s. If i'm not that brave, then perhaps the x100s plus the X-Pro1 with 35mm attached
  • Bring a lens pen. My lens tissues ended up leaving a lot of lint on my lenses.
  • Bring my Macbook Air. I wouldn't be carrying it around all day because I would only be using it in the hotel. Having my laptop would probably encourage me to process my photos. Once I get home, life happens and I'm too busy/lazy to process and share my photos.

My fave tip: I replaced my Domke's shoulder strap with Tom Bihn's Absolute Shoulder strap. It made carrying all my gear all day so much easier. If you can replace your camera bag's straps, you should try this. I wouldn't consider buying another camera bag that can't have its straps replaced with this one.

Bigbig's gear list:Bigbig's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads