How to lower sensitivity of the shutter of the E-M1 during continuous shooting modes?

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Rob
Rob
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
How to lower sensitivity of the shutter of the E-M1 during continuous shooting modes?
7 months ago

I love how fast the continuous shooting is on the E-M1, but it's extremely sensitive, so that if I'm not 100% careful on the amount of pressure I use when pressing on the shutter, it will go off when I only want a single shot. I know I can set the shooting mode to just single shot, but I'm used to the way I shoot with Canon bodies, where the continuous shooting doesn't engage unless I press the shutter a bit harder than normal, so I can choose to do single or multiple shots just by controlling the pressure with my finger.

The E-M1 allows this too, but the shutter sensitivity for activating the continuous shooting is way too sensitive, and I'd like to lower it a bit so I'm not accidentally triggering it all the time, nor do I have to always go into the settings to change it from single shot to continuous shooting.

-- hide signature --

Rob
Art, music, photography, writings, and blog:
www.ethereality.info

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bob657
Contributing MemberPosts: 600Gear list
Like?
Re: How to lower sensitivity of the shutter of the E-M1 during continuous shooting modes?
In reply to Rob, 7 months ago

As far as I know, there is no setting for that, but I can tell you virtually everyone adjusts to the more sensitive shutter button.  The upside of this is you have less movement of the camera when pressing the button, meaning more in focus shots.

Bob G

Bob657's gear list:Bob657's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,596Gear list
Like?
Re: How to lower sensitivity of the shutter of the E-M1 during continuous shooting modes?

Just practice. It gets easier. At 4fps single shots are easy.  At 6.5fps it is harder but still manageable.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Geo Wharton
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?

At the 10 fps setting, I can never get less than three frames on on very quick trigger squeeze.  When I set it at 6.5 fps, I can easily get just one.

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +17 more
Rob
Rob
Regular MemberPosts: 139
Like?
In reply to Geo Wharton, 7 months ago

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like I'll have to either set it to lower fps, or develop a more gentle touch.

-- hide signature --

Rob
www.ethereality.info

TheSquid
Regular MemberPosts: 214
Like?

I know on my E30 if I set it to high I'll end up occasionally having multiple frames but if I set it to low I only have extra frames when I mean to.

Then again, I gew up using a motor drive and setting it to single so I don't do burst very often.  Growing up with film and 36 shots gives a different set of shooting circumstances than with digital's almost unlimited shots.

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,819Gear list
Like?

Rob wrote:

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like I'll have to either set it to lower fps, or develop a more gentle touch.

-- hide signature --

Rob
www.ethereality.info

It's at least in part a tactile, kinesthetic task--learning the right amount of pressure to apply--and every camera is unique. Another possibility is the shutter action changing as it breaks in. Mine's still pretty new but I know it's at least possible to squeeze a single shot, if not exactly easy. I had a terrible time with my E-5 at first, the shutter was squishy and indistinct, but its action is much better than when it first emerged from the box and I'm pretty immune to unwanted shots.

The other possibility is trying the grip. Got mine only recently, but it's clear the button action is rather different from the camera's.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

kbouk
Forum MemberPosts: 97Gear list
Like?

check the Custom "C" menu , there is a function called "Release Lag-Time" if [Short] is selected the shutter button is more sensitive.

-

My 4/3 System : Olympus E-1,E-5, Leica DigiLux 3, EC-2.0X, EC-1.4X, DZ 14-35mm/2, DZ 50-200mm/2.8-3.5 SWD, DZ 25mm/2.8, DZ 50mm/2.0 macro, Samyang 85mm/1.4, DZ SWD 150mm/2.0, Lensbaby 3G, Flash FL50R, MacroFlash STF-22.
My OM system: Olympus OM-2N, OM-4 .
My m4/3 system: Olympus E-M1,E-M10, Panasonic G3, Lumix 7-14mm/4.0, Lumix 12-32mm/3.5-5.6, Lumix 35-100mm/2.8, PLeica 25mm/1.4, mzD 12-40mm/2.8, mZD 60mm/2.8 macro, Sanyang 7.5mm/3.5, Flash FL-20, FL-600R.

kbouk's gear list:kbouk's gear list
Leica Digilux 3 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +17 more
Geo Wharton
Contributing MemberPosts: 810Gear list
Like?
In reply to kbouk, 7 months ago

kbouk wrote:

check the Custom "C" menu , there is a function called "Release Lag-Time" if [Short] is selected the shutter button is more sensitive.

That does help.  I can squeeze off one or two, but not consistently one.

Geo Wharton's gear list:Geo Wharton's gear list
Olympus Stylus 770 SW Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads