Stunning Macro

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
bluelemmy
Contributing MemberPosts: 790
Like?
Stunning Macro
2 months ago

I did a review of the Olympus 60mm macro lens here

Leif Erikson, in a comment, supplied this link.

It's not often that I'm gobsmacked as we English say but this German guy using MFT really does show how far M43 has come. There's a lot of work behind the scenes here to make these images. I wish I could do anything half as good.

-- hide signature --
Alohaman
Contributing MemberPosts: 504Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunning Macro
In reply to bluelemmy, 2 months ago

Thanks for the link.  I'm thinking of selling my Canon 100/2.8 (non L) macro plus circular flash and go with the Olympus 60/2.8.

 Alohaman's gear list:Alohaman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 650D Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Brian Wadie
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,285Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunning Macro
In reply to Alohaman, 2 months ago

Alohaman wrote:

Thanks for the link. I'm thinking of selling my Canon 100/2.8 (non L) macro plus circular flash and go with the Olympus 60/2.8.

you won't regret it, I sold my 7D + 100 f2.8 LIS when I got my EM-5 with the 60mm macro and haven't regretted it once. I shoot most of my macro work hand-held and the lighter weight combined with the brilliant IBIS make this a dream combination for macro work

-- hide signature --

So much to learn, so little time left to do it!

 Brian Wadie's gear list:Brian Wadie's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,506Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunning Macro
In reply to bluelemmy, 2 months ago

bluelemmy wrote:

I did a review of the Olympus 60mm macro lens here

Leif Erikson, in a comment, supplied this link.

It's not often that I'm gobsmacked as we English say but this German guy using MFT really does show how far M43 has come. There's a lot of work behind the scenes here to make these images. I wish I could do anything half as good.

-- hide signature --

David
Home Page: www.dthorpe.net
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL754C3AAF38017475
Blog: http://m43blog.dthorpe.net/

Yes, it is. I have my hat taken off. The only way for me to achieve this perfection is to freeze the beast (or maybe use a chloroform to make her sleep) Unfortunately, I can't do either.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KrisPix
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunning Macro
In reply to bluelemmy, 2 months ago

Thank you for your review and also the link to German photo site.

-- hide signature --

Kris

 KrisPix's gear list:KrisPix's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
purpleray
Senior MemberPosts: 1,004
Like?
Re: Stunning Macro
In reply to bluelemmy, 2 months ago

Yes stunning.

Stunning because of the seeming naturalness of the insect and flower close up in all their detail.  I am sure lots was done to make them look natural.

These days with the power of Photoshop, we tend to try to stun people with wound up contrast and saturation - levels of unreal clarity and colour that are beautiful and stun you because they are not what we normally see, not natural.

So, yes.  It's great  to see the natural look as stunning.

Cheers

Ray

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Rocky ID Olympian
Contributing MemberPosts: 543Gear list
Like?
thank you for sharing
In reply to bluelemmy, 2 months ago

Really2 nice macro shots he displayed.

I was actually don't really take macro shots much, but I am happy using 60mm macro and even the 12-50 macro ish capability.

 Rocky ID Olympian's gear list:Rocky ID Olympian's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,175Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunning Macro
In reply to s_grins, 2 months ago

s_grins wrote:

bluelemmy wrote:

I did a review of the Olympus 60mm macro lens here

Leif Erikson, in a comment, supplied this link.

It's not often that I'm gobsmacked as we English say but this German guy using MFT really does show how far M43 has come. There's a lot of work behind the scenes here to make these images. I wish I could do anything half as good.

-- hide signature --

David
Home Page: www.dthorpe.net
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL754C3AAF38017475
Blog: http://m43blog.dthorpe.net/

Yes, it is. I have my hat taken off. The only way for me to achieve this perfection is to freeze the beast (or maybe use a chloroform to make her sleep) Unfortunately, I can't do either.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

If it was not frozen, drugged, or even dead, and carefully posed in a fully controlled environment, how could it be shot with scores of exposures for focus stacking purposes without any motion?

One of the advantages with bug photography is that humans are not capable of distinguishing a fully alert specimen from a sleeping or even dead one by looking at a static 2D image. Other closer to home subjects such as mammals and humans do not provide this kind of facility/convenience to the photographer.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,506Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunning Macro
In reply to tt321, 2 months ago

tt321 wrote:

s_grins wrote:

bluelemmy wrote:

I did a review of the Olympus 60mm macro lens here

Leif Erikson, in a comment, supplied this link.

It's not often that I'm gobsmacked as we English say but this German guy using MFT really does show how far M43 has come. There's a lot of work behind the scenes here to make these images. I wish I could do anything half as good.

-- hide signature --

David
Home Page: www.dthorpe.net
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL754C3AAF38017475
Blog: http://m43blog.dthorpe.net/

Yes, it is. I have my hat taken off. The only way for me to achieve this perfection is to freeze the beast (or maybe use a chloroform to make her sleep) Unfortunately, I can't do either.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

If it was not frozen, drugged, or even dead, and carefully posed in a fully controlled environment, how could it be shot with scores of exposures for focus stacking purposes without any motion?

One of the advantages with bug photography is that humans are not capable of distinguishing a fully alert specimen from a sleeping or even dead one by looking at a static 2D image. Other closer to home subjects such as mammals and humans do not provide this kind of facility/convenience to the photographer.

This is what I'm so fascinated about. I have no idea how to freeze or immobilize this thing. To make a little critter unmovable for a 3-10 min is a top achievement, I think.

Yes, it is possible to find a dead butterfly, but you can't build a portfolio based on accidental events.

Cheers

S.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

 s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Virtual Photon
Regular MemberPosts: 143Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunning Macro
In reply to bluelemmy, 2 months ago

David,

Thanks for the review and the link.  Impressive work indeed.

 Virtual Photon's gear list:Virtual Photon's gear list
Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tt321
Senior MemberPosts: 3,175Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunning Macro
In reply to s_grins, 2 months ago

s_grins wrote:

tt321 wrote:

s_grins wrote:

bluelemmy wrote:

I did a review of the Olympus 60mm macro lens here

Leif Erikson, in a comment, supplied this link.

It's not often that I'm gobsmacked as we English say but this German guy using MFT really does show how far M43 has come. There's a lot of work behind the scenes here to make these images. I wish I could do anything half as good.

-- hide signature --

David
Home Page: www.dthorpe.net
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL754C3AAF38017475
Blog: http://m43blog.dthorpe.net/

Yes, it is. I have my hat taken off. The only way for me to achieve this perfection is to freeze the beast (or maybe use a chloroform to make her sleep) Unfortunately, I can't do either.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

If it was not frozen, drugged, or even dead, and carefully posed in a fully controlled environment, how could it be shot with scores of exposures for focus stacking purposes without any motion?

One of the advantages with bug photography is that humans are not capable of distinguishing a fully alert specimen from a sleeping or even dead one by looking at a static 2D image. Other closer to home subjects such as mammals and humans do not provide this kind of facility/convenience to the photographer.

This is what I'm so fascinated about. I have no idea how to freeze or immobilize this thing. To make a little critter unmovable for a 3-10 min is a top achievement, I think.

Yes, it is possible to find a dead butterfly, but you can't build a portfolio based on accidental events.

Cheers

S.

-- hide signature --

Camera in bag tends to stay in bag...

Freezing is presumably easy - I've not personally tried it but I did try cooling in the fridge at above 0C as I was not sure if freezing would kill (it might not, but I was not keen to find out). It does work quite well. You just return it to the fridge when it becomes too mobile for your liking. And after a quarter hour of work and some minutes to warm up they go away apparently unharmed at all - I personally have not tracked the rest of their lives to compare with control groups but at the point of their going away, they did appear quite normal.

This of course depends on first catching them. This could be done even without touching them. I've removed the branch etc. on which they were staying and moved the whole thing into the fridge without them flying away.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Marla
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,765Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunning Macro
In reply to bluelemmy, 2 months ago

Beautiful images, and I enjoyed watching the review since I've been looking at this lens for a long time.  After seeing the images and the review I'm getting really tempted again!  I have the Oly 45mm/f1.8 lens (still new), but always wondered if I should have purchased the 60mm instead!  It is the one lens I would have to sell to buy this one.  At least they both do portraits!  I think the macro is more versatile - and worthwhile for me.

At any rate, thanks for sharing, and now back to the same old question....is it worth the trade?!?!

I really love the images!

-- hide signature --

Maria

 Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
beameup
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
Re: Stunning Macro
In reply to bluelemmy, 2 months ago

I achieved similar results using my E-M1 with 14-54mm II hand-held, inside the International Wildlife Museum, Tucson (the butterfly exibit) shooting the various exhibits and even shooting through glass.

 beameup's gear list:beameup's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads