Going to give another a6000 a try

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
NeilJones
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,237Gear list
Like?
Going to give another a6000 a try
2 months ago

I decided to purchase the a6000 kit this time and see if it performs better than the one I sent back because I was very disappointed with the tracking af.

Still also have the zeiss 24mm to try on it.

Wish me luck!

-- hide signature --

" All you need is love"

Advent1sam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,051
Like?
Re: Going to give another a6000 a try
In reply to NeilJones, 2 months ago

NeilJones wrote:

I decided to purchase the a6000 kit this time and see if it performs better than the one I sent back because I was very disappointed with the tracking af.

Wish me luck!

-- hide signature --

" All you need is love"

Neil,

I think you'll need something better than the 16-50 to realise the better tracking, the 24mm is a bit wide too but will probably work fine. I think the 16-70 is probably the best compact fast option zoom currently and the 50 1.8 should provide comparable results to the 55 1.8. I am ordering mine this week and have pretty much decided on the 16-70 initially and the 35/50 1.8 primes and the 55-210.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ynos
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?

NeilJones wrote:

Wish me luck!

-- hide signature --

" All you need is love"

IMHO (and this all is just my assumptions based on all info I acquired so far). Ironically tracking AF in A6000 IMHO will work best if you will not let the camera decide where to focus or track, but instead keep central focus on object yourself. It basically defeats the purpose of tracking by some margin, but it gets the job done. Basically tracking in this case would be just aiming at target to keep focus on it and panning the camera along. Actually it is most natural way to do tracking - kinda like video shooting. So ironically, despite all this talk about finding better settings (settings are still important of course) and knowing your camera, it turns out that best approach is to treat A6000 like a handycam, rather than just keep object in frame and allow A6k to decide where in the frame it wants to put focus. It is in essence making a camera do just usual AF-S focusing (which it does quickly) and doing tracking yourself - silly and simple, but if it gets better keeper rates, why not? I'm going to try exactly that and will report back my findings soon. (ordered A6k).

Good Luck to you too.

P.S. If my findings turn out true - than Kudos to Sony for making a best family camera (kinda opposite of what some users are saying here). IMHO I still think it is a moms and dads kinda camera, it has iAuto and iAuto+ and possibly it is the best way to track and shoot. Maybe it was initial intention of Sony to make most of work done by camera, with leaving control for user to do the aiming, panning etc. What I mean (and don't get me wrong, it's good to have RAW options and PASM modes and all controls) is that some users here make simple things too complicated by messing the settings and trying for camera to do tracking by itself. Many reviews get dissapointing results just because of that. Anyway, we'll see.

123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,140Gear list
Like?

I'm starting to get used to things now myself. I came from the A57 so things were a little more simplistic on that.

But now, I'm using three different combinations of modes:

1) Simple static type shots: AF-S, flexible point (centered). Center subject, focus, recompose, shoot.

2) Moving objects on the ground (eg. kids playing): AF-C. Lock on focus start with shutter. Center subject, focus, recompose, shoot.
a) center or flexible spot (center)
b) zone focus, center region (which is really everywhere except with a strip taken off the sides).

3) Fast moving subject away from other subject, eg. bird in the sky. AF-C. Wide area focus. Just burst the crap out of it. Nearest found anything is in focus.

You can use (3) for things in the ground too, but then pick zone, and move the area of whatever-blocks it shows, up a bit, to avoid it seeing ground.

I which I could preset this in programmable modes. Then with a single click I could cycle to my next mode. Does the A6000 have this that I don't yet know about?

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +5 more
creaDVty
Contributing MemberPosts: 621Gear list
Like?
In reply to 123Mike, 2 months ago

I which I could preset this in programmable modes. Then with a single click I could cycle to my next mode. Does the A6000 have this that I don't yet know about?

Sorry for the potentially dumb question but what about the MR mode?  Takes a couple of button presses but would that work?

-- hide signature --

www.BetterFamilyPhotos.com
TTL Flash Tutorial and over 400+ other articles for taking better candid and family photos.
http://betterfamilyphotos.blogspot.com/p/better-family-photos-index.html

creaDVty's gear list:creaDVty's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Olympus Stylus 1 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +10 more
123Mike
Like?
In reply to creaDVty, 2 months ago

creaDVty wrote:

Sorry for the potentially dumb question but what about the MR mode? Takes a couple of button presses but would that work?

What's MR mode?

Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +5 more
Eduard E
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?

Did you update the firmware of your lenses?

Walie
Regular MemberPosts: 152Gear list
Like?

123Mike wrote:

creaDVty wrote:

Sorry for the potentially dumb question but what about the MR mode? Takes a couple of button presses but would that work?

What's MR mode?

Have a look on the mode dial...

Walie's gear list:Walie's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
123Mike
Like?
In reply to Walie, 2 months ago

Walie wrote:

123Mike wrote:

creaDVty wrote:

What's MR mode?

I don't get it.

cSimon
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

123Mike wrote:

Walie wrote:

123Mike wrote:

creaDVty wrote:

What's MR mode?

I don't get it.

I think MR is the Memory Recall mode which can be selected with the mode dial. It's possible to program three custom-settings under MR and they can be recalled fairly fast any time you need one of them (don't own a A6000 yet, so I don't know the details).

Helen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,864
Like?

Walie wrote:

123Mike wrote:

creaDVty wrote:

What's MR mode?

I don't get it.

Memory recall mode. You can have several different setups of your choice saved there.

123Mike
Like?
Thanks!
In reply to cSimon, 2 months ago

Awesome !

123Mike
Like?
Thanks !
In reply to Helen, 2 months ago

Awesome !

zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,189Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ynos, 2 months ago

Ynos wrote:

IMHO (and this all is just my assumptions based on all info I acquired so far). Ironically tracking AF in A6000 IMHO will work best if you will not let the camera decide where to focus or track, but instead keep central focus on object yourself.

Unfortunately, through all the threads on the topic, you've come away with some wrong information.  Tracking AF does NOT work best by using central focus and trying to keep it on the target.  I have not yet shot a single moving subject using this technique.  Tracking a moving subject is best done using the camera's continuous focus abilities by choosing the best focus area or lock-on AF capability for the given situation.

Bird in sky flying around - AF-C, wide area focus.

Bird flying against busy background - AF-C and wide focus

Bird flying and there are any things in the foreground - AF-C, lock-on AF, spot or center focus area, acquire bird through lock-on AF, it will then track anywhere in the frame.

Bird sitting but anticipating it will fly soon - AF-C, lock-on AF, lock on the target with medium spot focus, it will track when the bird moves.

Same for sports, dogs, people, etc.  Just about the ONLY motion situation where a central focus spot and AF-C would be best would be for a non-erratic subject moving directly towards you - a car, bike, or person running who is coming in a straight line and would be easy to keep the center point on.  Otherwise, using different focus areas for different subjects will yield the best results, and knowing when lock-on AF might be advantageous.

Of course, the ability to keep the moving target within the frame is key - so learning good panning technique will help greatly.

Hope that helps when you get your camera.  Just practice with the different modes.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,344
Like?
Thanks, zackiedawg,
In reply to zackiedawg, 2 months ago

Thanks, zackiedawg,

Your diligent posting in the forum on this topic has been very helpful.

Marti58
Marti58 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 18,682Gear list
Like?
Hi Justin thanks
In reply to zackiedawg, 2 months ago

for the constructive and helpfull information.

rgds Marti

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Samsung HZ35W Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon Coolpix P500 +25 more
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,284Gear list
Like?

Wish me luck!

-- hide signature --

" All you need is love"

You still have the Sonnar 55? It's awesome with A6000 !

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads