Using NEX-5, concerned about feel of a6000

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Muga
Forum MemberPosts: 60
Like?
Using NEX-5, concerned about feel of a6000
2 months ago

I am still using the original NEX-5 14mp and thinking of upgrading, mainly because:

1) Realize I need an EVF

2) Slow AF

I've been drawn to the NEX 6 due to its EVF, but it seems the AF is not THAT much faster than what I am currently using. Then the a6000 came out and I got excited due to the VERY fast AF and its basically a NEX 6.  I've never handled either camera by the way.  Then I read some threads here complaining about how a6000 feels weird and hollow but I thought those people was just weird.  Today I stopped by Bestbuy and picked up the a6000 and it... actually felt pretty bad compared to my NEX 5! (Sorry to those people who I thought was paranoid).  The grip doesn't fit me as much and it just didn't feel as good.  I wanted to try the NEX 6 but they didn't have it in stock.  Now the price on EBay is barely $400 bucks, I am quite interested in it again...

So for those who have handled all three... is the NEX 6 more like the original 5 or the a6000 feel-wise?

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
David Wyman
Regular MemberPosts: 246Gear list
Like?
Re: Using NEX-5, concerned about feel of a6000
In reply to Muga, 2 months ago

After five minutes with a new camera, one as similar as the A6000 is to your current camera, you won't notice the difference.

Is there some problem with a camera that feels hollow? Is it that it feels too light in your hands?

David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Muga
Like?
In reply to David Wyman, 2 months ago

It's hard to say.  I dont think its light per se, since the NEX 5 is also very slight, probably lighter.  It just feels not well constructed.  Another thing is the shutter button. It feels a bit loose and tends to prematurely shoot when I just want to focus/DMF/meter, whatever.  From images, the NEX 6 seem to have the same silver buttons as the old nex5

photonion
Regular MemberPosts: 366Gear list
Like?

Muga, I was in the same dilemma as you are. I was still using my trusty NEX-5 (until yesterday ) and wanted to upgrade to something better (EVF, better sensor, better focusing), since the NEX6 has gone (body only) around 430USD.

In my opinion, apart from NEX7, no other NEX camera feels as well built as the original (magnesium body) NEX-5. The full metal construction of the original is unbeatable and after 4 years of use mine still feels as solid as a tank.

I had the chance to play around with an a6000 and a NEX-6 and my first impression is the following: The a6000 wins hands down in ergonomics (the tri-navi like layout works a billion times better than the dial-on-dial setup of the NEX-6). Built-quality-wise the NEX-6 feels a bit more 'solid' (the a6000 feels a bit more toy-like), but don't expect that you will get the same kind of quality you had on the original.

Since you mentioned focus:

Both NEX-6 and a6000 are a huge step ahead compared to the original NEX-5 in daylight. Concerning AF-S and AF-C performance of the a6000 there are already a lot of threads around. You can judge by yourself.

Unfortunately, low light focusing is still crap on both cameras (sad but true) and I think you will still be using DMF quite a lot in the dark. Here is an a6000 against competition, though I have no clue how fair his test is (settings on both cameras etc.).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD52Fgb61QE

Oh! and by the way the focusing assist lamp DOES work on the a6000 (but not on NEX-6, as usual for all NEXes)

All in all, both the a6000 and the NEX6 are great cameras. If you can afford the a6000 and prefer its ergonomics go for it. If it's too expensive the NEX-6 will do you no wrong. On the contrary it's a HUGE upgrade over the original 5 and a camera that you will definitely love (as I already do on my 1 day symbiosis with it)!

Hope I helped a bit!

photonion's gear list:photonion's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,659
Like?

Muga wrote:

I am still using the original NEX-5 14mp and thinking of upgrading, mainly because:

1) Realize I need an EVF

2) Slow AF

I've been drawn to the NEX 6 due to its EVF, but it seems the AF is not THAT much faster than what I am currently using. Then the a6000 came out and I got excited due to the VERY fast AF and its basically a NEX 6. I've never handled either camera by the way. Then I read some threads here complaining about how a6000 feels weird and hollow but I thought those people was just weird. Today I stopped by Bestbuy and picked up the a6000 and it... actually felt pretty bad compared to my NEX 5! (Sorry to those people who I thought was paranoid). The grip doesn't fit me as much and it just didn't feel as good. I wanted to try the NEX 6 but they didn't have it in stock. Now the price on EBay is barely $400 bucks, I am quite interested in it again...

So for those who have handled all three... is the NEX 6 more like the original 5 or the a6000 feel-wise?

Feel is also important to me

The original NEX-5 is very well made, the NEX-5N is also well made but the NEX-5R and NEX-5T don't have the same quality feel

The NEX-6 does not feel as good in my hands as even the NEX-5R (which is one reason I bought the 5R instead of the 6) and certainly does not feel as good as the original NEX-5.  I can't comment on the A6000 as I still haven't had the chance to handle one

For the best 'feel' with an EVF either a NEX-5N with EVF (the separate EVF's can be found quite cheaply these days and are very good) or a NEX-7 would be your best bet, though neither will offer the fast AF you want

-- hide signature --

DUMP the HUMP! A5000 & A6000 success.... campaign for *REAL* NEX-5 and NEX-7 replacement bodies
* newly updated ignore list: hostile responses are probably not visible to me

zink
Regular MemberPosts: 460Gear list
Like?

The quality of the NEX-5 body was very good. I liked the solid feel it had. But image quality and response also count. I sometimes just missed a great shot due to the shutter lag, for example.

Lets keep things in perspective. After some years, you will not remember the touch or the grip of the camera. When I view pictures from years ago, I do not think: Wow, that camera felt as solid as a brick. The only things that count is the subject of the picture and the quality of the picture.

The a6000 or NEX-6 will give you better performance, less noise and better jpeg output. That counts for the future. Not the grip.

And how long needs a modern camera to live? After only a few years we feel the 'need' to upgrade. I used my old Canon AE-1 for almost 20 years. That will not happen again with the fast moving technology today. (I do however use the old lenses thanks to the mirror-less design!)

zink's gear list:zink's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 +10 more
ryan92084
Regular MemberPosts: 461Gear list
Like?

Do we really need to get into this again for the umpteenth time?

Some like the feel in hand some don't. Some like the ergonomics some don't. Some think it feels better than the nex3/5/6/7 some don't. Some are fine with a poly shell over a metal substructure some aren't.

The only personal comment I will make is if you handled it without a battery or lens it feels very light (which is good to some but not to others) feels better whole.

ryan92084's gear list:ryan92084's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +3 more
azalea
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

Are there a lack of camera shops near where you lived? It's impossible for others to tell you whether the ergonomics suits you, go try it yourself.

As for camera feeling a bit too light, I can't help but think that sony should include an optional brick so that those who think it's too light can attach the brick, add some weight and stop feeling hollow.

DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,731
Like?
In reply to azalea, 2 months ago

azalea wrote:

Are there a lack of camera shops near where you lived? It's impossible for others to tell you whether the ergonomics suits you, go try it yourself.

As for camera feeling a bit too light, I can't help but think that sony should include an optional brick so that those who think it's too light can attach the brick, add some weight and stop feeling hollow.

Ditto. And/or balance it with a proper lens

-- hide signature --
RUwithME?
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?

I handled both cameras at B&H. One thing I noticed abut a6000 that due to the bigger grip the room between it and the lens is really tight and I don't have big fingers.

For someone it might be a problem,especially with the larger lenses/adapters.

Other than that a6000 feels like a really high end rangefinder, even to the point as too much of a camera for some.

I liked the evf on a6000 better than on nex-6 but not to the point where it would become a deciding issue.

The nice salesperson let me handle z16-70, which we attached to the nex-6. I have mixed feeling about this lens. I felt  a bit bigger than I wanted to be, I am not impressed neither by quality of build nor by the samples of photos I've seen on this forum so far.

RUwithME?'s gear list:RUwithME?'s gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +5 more
Helen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,847
Like?
In reply to azalea, 2 months ago

I agree with most of what has been posted here.  I own or have owned the NEX-5, 5N, F3, 5R, 6 and a6000; I'd say the "perceived build quality" is highest on the 5N since it has a metal top cap as well as the front half (it's wise to remember, though, that the back panel of all 5-series models is actually polycarbonate, not metal - check the temperature differential at the bottom seam some time).  The 5R replaced the top cap with polycarbonate.  The NEX-6 has a polycarbonate front and rear, combined with a metal top cap, all of which is covered with a unique-to-the-model matte sputter paint job; the a6000 has an all-polycarbonate exterior sprayed in smooth satin finish paint (black or "titanium", according to choice).  Both the NEX-6 and a6000 benefit from a generous front-and-rear rubber handgrip layer, which is nicer-feeling than the "rubber paint" on the F3 and 5 series (which is itself absent on some of the later models according to their colour).

To the OP: bear in mind, if you happen to like charging batteries outside the camera, that the charger ceased to be supplied from the F3 onwards in my list above, so you may want to hang onto your charger or get another.

Functionally, I feel (though others may differ) that the biggest functional improvements came with the 5N and then again recently with the a6000 (with a smaller step up between the 5N and 5R/6, though some aspects of the 5R were seen as a step down by some; the 6 does not necessarily share these, since one was the downgrade of the touchscreen from capacitive to resistive on the 5R, and the 6 doesn't have a touchscreen anyway).

It always seemed to me that the 5N was a revelation compared with the 5 - so much faster, quieter, EVF compatibility, higher-resolution sensor, touchscreen if you like those, and so on, and it was more configurable than even the final firmware version of the NEX-5.  The 5R and the 6 of course introduced wifi and apps, plus the nice (but slightly underused) thumb dial on top, and the initial type of on-sensor PDAF (which doesn't make a huge difference to focusing speed).  Touchscreen shooting was also added in the case of the 5R [the 5N only has touch to focus, not touch to shoot, but the latter feature isn't popular with everyone in any case] plus a fully flip-forward screen which is nicely implemented.  The NEX-6 has neither of these touchscreen features, but offers the built-in EVF, built-in flash, physical mode dial, a few extra rear physical controls and the interactive data-only mode on the LCD, intended for use when using the EVF.  Everything I pointed out about the 5R also applies to the 5T which replaced it, and only differs by adding NFC and an airplane [i.e. all communications off in one step] mode.

A small point - the NEX-5N was the last model to include the automatic light sensor for the LCD.

To me, at least, the a6000 seems another big step functionally from the NEX-6 - a new, much more configurable and arguably more straightforward menu system, more physical controls which are also more configurable, a much-improved PDAF system which is now fast and effective (and doesn't get in the way like the 5R/5T/6 PDAF points display does if you enable it) - the camera lets me set a lot of controls the way I'd always wanted to on the NEX line but couldn't (someone else mentioned that the AF illuminator is now less destructive to focusing accuracy; there are many other nice improvements such as the ability to set maximum and minimum ISO in Auto ISO - including Auto ISO for the built-in multi-frame noise reduction (MFNR) - MFNR was previously only available as an add-on app for the 5R, 5T and 6, which slowed down the interface and was not quite as configurable as when the camera wasn't using apps), configurable auto ISO in manual exposure mode (I like this feature - good for shooting wildlife when I want the shutter speed and aperture kept at certain settings - the auto ISO then keeps the exposure correct) and so forth.  Yes, the a6000 does feel light (which can be an advantage, too) and arguably a bit hollow but I personally wouldn't want to drop any of them!  The half-case can quickly sort this out without adding too much weight, if required.  Compared with the NEX-6, the a6000's LCD moves more easily (or is less reassuringly stiff, according to your preferences!), I don't think the quality of the actual panel used is quite as nice as the previous NEX one (although still as high a resolution, I can see the vertical rows of pixels and a slight "sizzle" of refreshing, but my eyesight is ultra-sensitive to this stuff) - on the other hand, it doesn't have an Ultrablack antireflection coating to wear off (or do good antireflection work, again according to your preference!), whilst the EVF, though smaller and lower resolution, is actually nicer for my particular eyesight (others may differ).

So all the above is my personal preferences and findings, which may well not be true for others.  As other posters have said, the only way is to try them and work out one's own feelings.  But there's an awful lot to like on the a6000 and all the recent models have some very big improvements from the original NEX-5 which the OP appears to have.

GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,772Gear list
Like?
In reply to photonion, 2 months ago

photonion wrote:

Muga, I was in the same dilemma as you are. I was still using my trusty NEX-5 (until yesterday ) and wanted to upgrade to something better (EVF, better sensor, better focusing), since the NEX6 has gone (body only) around 430USD.

I have a Nex-5 and Nex-6.  The 6 is an upgrade in just about every way, but oddly, the Nex-5 seems heavier.  Also, if you want to be compact, the Nex-5 also has a distinct advantage.  With a pancake lens, I can stuff it uncomfortably in my jeans pockets -- not quite for the Nex-6.

But the Nex-6 is also nice, if a lighter feel.  I kind of like that, actually; it doesn't have to be a negative.

Both cameras have a good grip you can hook your fingers around.

So, the Nex-6 is my go-to camera.  What do I do with my Nex-5?  For now, it's my spare, or sometimes my travel camera, particularly when I don't expect to really need a camera.  It's less conspicuous, and still gives high quality results (although not as good as the newer cameras).  If I lose it, I'll not be quite as upset.  But on a trip where I want some higher-quality results, the Nex-6 wins.  The 6 has some nice subtle upgrades over the 5.  EFC is really helpful for giving faster response, but P-shift mode is also very useful.  The PDAF is controversial, but I think also makes a huge difference.

In my opinion, apart from NEX7, no other NEX camera feels as well built as the original (magnesium body) NEX-5. The full metal construction of the original is unbeatable and after 4 years of use mine still feels as solid as a tank.

I had the chance to play around with an a6000 and a NEX-6 and my first impression is the following: The a6000 wins hands down in ergonomics (the tri-navi like layout works a billion times better than the dial-on-dial setup of the NEX-6). Built-quality-wise the NEX-6 feels a bit more 'solid' (the a6000 feels a bit more toy-like), but don't expect that you will get the same kind of quality you had on the original.

My main problem with the Nex-6 is that there are a couple of ergonomic changes that would have made a nice difference.  Like, more customization, and better use of the dials (sometimes the rear dial could be used better in some modes -- the camera has two dials, might as well make use of them!).

Since you mentioned focus:

Both NEX-6 and a6000 are a huge step ahead compared to the original NEX-5 in daylight. Concerning AF-S and AF-C performance of the a6000 there are already a lot of threads around. You can judge by yourself.

Unfortunately, low light focusing is still crap on both cameras (sad but true) and I think you will still be using DMF quite a lot in the dark. Here is an a6000 against competition, though I have no clue how fair his test is (settings on both cameras etc.).

Unless light is very low, I find the Nex-6 to be fine.  Seems better than the 5 to me, though I haven't done hard-core scientific comparisons -- just thinking about similar situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD52Fgb61QE

Oh! and by the way the focusing assist lamp DOES work on the a6000 (but not on NEX-6, as usual for all NEXes)

All in all, both the a6000 and the NEX6 are great cameras. If you can afford the a6000 and prefer its ergonomics go for it. If it's too expensive the NEX-6 will do you no wrong. On the contrary it's a HUGE upgrade over the original 5 and a camera that you will definitely love (as I already do on my 1 day symbiosis with it)!

Hope I helped a bit!

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 +10 more
zackiedawg
Forum ProPosts: 21,101Gear list
Like?

If you're problem in liking or not liking the camera's feel was due to shape or design, the NEX6 is much closer to that of the a6000, in the general size and shape, grip size, etc.  So you may not like it if you prefer the size and shape of your NEX5.

If the problem is in the material being composite rather than metal, then you may be OK with the NEX6, though it still is not as high a metal content as the NEX5.

If it's ergonomic design, button location, etc - then I think again the NEX6 and A6000 are a little closer to eachother than the NEX5.

I had a NEX-5N which I thoroughly enjoyed and liked the general feel and shape.  I now have the  A6000, and I vastly prefer this camera ergonomically and in feel.  I find the shape and size work very well for my large hands, the grip is very similar to that of the 5N, but slightly taller body gives more room for my 4th finger, and the button and control layout is MUCH better.  I find the body build and material to be excellent for me - build quality to me feels equal between the two.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +24 more
wb2trf
Senior MemberPosts: 1,325
Like?
How do you like your hair? Prefer Apples or Oranges?

This "feel" and "build quality" discussion topic is as pointless as asking how you should cut your hair or should you buy apples or oranges today.

Metal is not better on any objective standard.  Some may prefer it, but plastics may cause the camera to survive a drop better by transmitting less force to the interior electronics.  No one knows.  That is the end of the objective discussion about "build quality".  People who make emphatic statements about build quality are like people who make emphatic statements about fashions in clothing but ignore rain, temperature, sunburn etc.

The rest of what is objective is obvious.  The A6000 is a big advance over the Nex 5 and the 6 in AF speed and a medium improvement in low light performance.  It includes a built-in VF and flash at the price of a larger body.  (Personally I would prefer the smaller body and have these as add-ons, but there we are just into my apples vs someone else's oranges.)

Muga
Like?
Re: How do you like your hair? Prefer Apples or Oranges?
In reply to wb2trf, 2 months ago

Thanks guys, I know this was somewhat of a dumb question but since I cant handle the 6, I thought I would get some rough opinions on it.  I'll most likely get a a6000 and get used to it, or find a spanking deal on the 6... we'll see.

pixelpushing
Contributing MemberPosts: 994Gear list
Like?
Coming out of the woodwork...
In reply to wb2trf, 2 months ago

Notice the join date of 5 days ago... Maybe I'm a cynic, and perhaps this person is quite legit, but methinks there's more than a little '+1' self-reinforcement going on around here.

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samsung Galaxy S4
aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 127
Like?
Re: Coming out of the woodwork...
In reply to pixelpushing, 2 months ago

pixelpushing wrote:

Notice the join date of 5 days ago... Maybe I'm a cynic, and perhaps this person is quite legit, but methinks there's more than a little '+1' self-reinforcement going on around here.

Well it's a valid observation, it might be important for some people and just be a minor negative to others. I wouldn't be too cynical in this case

EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,327Gear list
Like?
Depends on who you ask...

Thanks guys, I know this was somewhat of a dumb question but since I cant handle the 6, I thought I would get some rough opinions on it.  I'll most likely get a a6000 and get used to it, or find a spanking deal on the 6... we'll see.

I happen to have E-mount system for a few key reasons:
- Smaller Size
- Lower Weight
- Legacy Lens Use/Flexibility

This so called "hollow" claim makes zero sense to me. In fact, I would prefer a carbon fiber tripod that feels hollow to carry around than an aluminum tripod that feels "solid".

The bickering often continues onto use of composite vs full metal body as well. I find it only as a mere distraction. Give me a body that lasts for as long as I will use the camera. For everybody else, Leica just announced their candidate.

With a6000, the body is actually thicker by an mm or two, compared to NEX-6, along with a better grip. And I never considered NEX-5/5N as being benchmarks in construction but as superb cameras. The same applies to a6000.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
pixelpushing
Like?
Re: Coming out of the woodwork...
In reply to aap292, 2 months ago

aap292 wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

Well it's a valid observation, it might be important for some people and just be a minor negative to others. I wouldn't be too cynical in this case

Wait, can you be too cynical?

pixelpushing
Like?
Re: Depends on who you ask...
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 2 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Thanks guys, I know this was somewhat of a dumb question but since I cant handle the 6, I thought I would get some rough opinions on it. I'll most likely get a a6000 and get used to it, or find a spanking deal on the 6... we'll see.

I happen to have E-mount system for a few key reasons:
- Smaller Size
- Lower Weight
- Legacy Lens Use/Flexibility

This so called "hollow" claim makes zero sense to me. In fact, I would prefer a carbon fiber tripod that feels hollow to carry around than an aluminum tripod that feels "solid".

Yep. Camera does not feel hollow to me, at all. Of course, I've also owned an NX100 (very eggshell-like hard plastic but with a nice half case it felt much better) and an NX300 (the finish of this camera really disappointed me).

The bickering often continues onto use of composite vs full metal body as well. I find it only as a mere distraction. Give me a body that lasts for as long as I will use the camera. For everybody else, Leica just announced their candidate.

Again, yep.

With a6000, the body is actually thicker by an mm or two, compared to NEX-6, along with a better grip. And I never considered NEX-5/5N as being benchmarks in construction but as superb cameras. The same applies to a6000.

Even though the A6000 is a plastic camera vs. the metal skinned NEXes that came before, it still feels of good, solid construction and with a Gariz or similar case, I doubt most would be able to tell the difference with the metal ones.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads