X-E1 vs X-E2 (from a MFT user perspective)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
thxbb12
Senior MemberPosts: 1,780Gear list
Like?
X-E1 vs X-E2 (from a MFT user perspective)
7 months ago

I currently own an Olympus E-M1 which I'm very happy with. However, I often wish for more DOF control when shooting portraits. Consequently, I'm very tempted to purchase an E1 + 56mm f/1.2 for portrait use as it's still cheaper than buying the Pana/Leica 42.5 f/1.2 in MFT land.

I'm currently having a hard look at Fuji since the crazy drop in price of the X-E1 body (almost half the price of the X-E2 in Switzerland).

My understanding is that the E1 is now quite close to the E2 since the latest firmware release. Now, how do they compare regarding the following points?

• Operating speed
  • Single AF speed
  • AF accuracy
  • EVF
  • EVF lag
  • "Automatic focus on the closest eye" feature (if it even exists)

AF accuracy is probably the most important point as far as I'm concerned. I also use the face detection quite a bit when shooting portraits of a single subject. The Olympus implementation works very very well (it can focus on the closest eye). The X-T1 also features such an implementation, but it's way over my budget.

Thank you in advance for your input.

thxbb12's gear list:thxbb12's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mrstone
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?
Re: X-E1 vs X-E2 (from a MFT user perspective)
In reply to thxbb12, 7 months ago

I recently tested my X-E1, to see if manual focusing can produce better results, compared to AF. Conclusion was that AF was as accurate as possible (which I guess what you should expect from contrast detection AF)

Size of focusing box does matter of course - smaller us more accurate. And it is reliable too, as long ad you focus on area with some contrast

Everting else us subjective and depends on what you are used to

mrstone's gear list:mrstone's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
secretworld
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?
In reply to mrstone, 7 months ago

M4/3 and X-E1 owner here;

Have you thought about the oly 75mm? Or even the 45mm. I think both are great (I can only afford the 45mm). With 45mm f1.8 depth of field is 2.5cm at 1m, with 75mm f1.8 it is 0.9cm (but 2.3cm again at 1.5m of course).

With APS-c and 56mm f1.2 it is 2.3cm soooooo if you like your EM1 it seems quit pointless to me. Plus the x-trans sensor has is pluses but also minuses!

The 45mm is very good and cheap, the 75mm perfect and expensive.

I do like my X-E1 for the 18-55 lens and it looks/handling. It is a great standard zoom lens, on par with the pana 20mm and the oly 45mm (except speed) and I got the package really cheap (400 euro) which was near to the price of the VF4, which I was shopping for.

If I could have afforded a GX7 and 12-35/40 f2.8 I would have gone that route. Raw conversion for m4/3 is way ahead of Xtrans.

edit

OOPS you already heave the 45mm and 75mm, then there is really nothing to gain

secretworld's gear list:secretworld's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,889Gear list
Like?

thxbb12 wrote:

I currently own an Olympus E-M1 which I'm very happy with. However, I often wish for more DOF control when shooting portraits. Consequently, I'm very tempted to purchase an E1 + 56mm f/1.2 for portrait use as it's still cheaper than buying the Pana/Leica 42.5 f/1.2 in MFT land.

I'm currently having a hard look at Fuji since the crazy drop in price of the X-E1 body (almost half the price of the X-E2 in Switzerland).

My understanding is that the E1 is now quite close to the E2 since the latest firmware release. Now, how do they compare regarding the following points?

The X-E2 is going to have an advantage in most of your areas of interest because it has the same processor as the X-T1--twice as fast as the X-E1.

Operating speed

X-E2 -faster

Single AF speed

X-E2 - faster, same speed as the X-T1

AF accuracy

Mostly the same

EVF

X-E2 was just upgraded with the same EVF fast refresh rate and color manual focus peaking as the X-T1.

EVF lag

X-E2 -- less lag, same as X-T1

"Automatic focus on the closest eye" feature (if it even exists)

Not available in the X-E1 or X-E2

AF accuracy is probably the most important point as far as I'm concerned. I also use the face detection quite a bit when shooting portraits of a single subject. The Olympus implementation works very very well (it can focus on the closest eye). The X-T1 also features such an implementation, but it's way over my budget.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
thxbb12
Like?
In reply to mrstone, 7 months ago

I recently tested my X-E1, to see if manual focusing can produce better results, compared to AF. Conclusion was that AF was as accurate as possible (which I guess what you should expect from contrast detection AF)

Thanks for the info. Good to know it focuses accurately. I've read reviews stating it was inconsistent at times.

Size of focusing box does matter of course - smaller us more accurate. And it is reliable too, as long ad you focus on area with some contrast

Can you specify a small focus box? It's a well known issue with older Olympus cameras.

Everting else us subjective and depends on what you are used to

Yes. It would be better to be able to try one, but I don't know anyone who owns a E1 or E2 and stores are not exactly willing to have people try them out without buying anything. Switzerland is far from the US in this regards :-/

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R
ulrikem
Regular MemberPosts: 216Gear list
Like?
In reply to secretworld, 7 months ago

secretworld wrote:

Have you thought about the oly 75mm? Or even the 45mm. I think both are great (I can only afford the 45mm). With 45mm f1.8 depth of field is 2.5cm at 1m, with 75mm f1.8 it is 0.9cm (but 2.3cm again at 1.5m of course).

With APS-c and 56mm f1.2 it is 2.3cm soooooo if you like your EM1 it seems quit pointless to me. Plus the x-trans sensor has is pluses but also minuses!

Nitpicking here but the DoF for the 56mm @f1.2 is 1.5cm if focused at 1m (CoC used for my calculation is 0.02mm)

ulrikem's gear list:ulrikem's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +1 more
thxbb12
Like?
In reply to secretworld, 7 months ago

I do own the 75 which is a fantastic lens (probably the best I own). However, it's very long and not suitable in many cases. If you have space it's great for sure.

The 45 is fine for head or upper body shots, but it does have too much DOF when one wants to isolate the subject in a full body shot. The Fuji would do much better at f/1.2 in this particular scenario.

With APS-c and 56mm f1.2 it is 2.3cm soooooo if you like your EM1 it seems quit pointless to me.

Well, as I said above, it has its uses. One can always close the aperture, but one can't open a lens more than it's physical aperture!

Plus the x-trans sensor has is pluses but also minuses!

Agreed.

I do like my X-E1 for the 18-55 lens and it looks/handling. It is a great standard zoom lens, on par with the pana 20mm and the oly 45mm (except speed) and I got the package really cheap (400 euro) which was near to the price of the VF4, which I was shopping for.

What do you think of the AF? How about the overall responsiveness of the E1?

Yeah... If only someone would release the f/0.95 Voigtlander lens with AF.... I'm sure many people would buy them.

thxbb12
Like?
In reply to Sal Baker, 7 months ago

The X-E2 is going to have an advantage in most of your areas of interest because it has the same processor as the X-T1--twice as fast as the X-E1.

Operating speed

X-E2 -faster

Single AF speed

AF accuracy

Mostly the same

EVF

X-E2 was just upgraded with the same EVF fast refresh rate and color manual focus peaking as the X-T1.

EVF lag

From your answers, it looks like the X-E2 is pretty much on par with the XT1 when it comes to operating responsiveness and AF?

In this case, I might well wait until its price drops down to something similar to the X-E1 today.

Thanks for the comparison.

secretworld
Senior MemberPosts: 1,080Gear list
Like?

thxbb12 wrote:

I do own the 75 which is a fantastic lens (probably the best I own). However, it's very long and not suitable in many cases. If you have space it's great for sure.

The 45 is fine for head or upper body shots, but it does have too much DOF when one wants to isolate the subject in a full body shot. The Fuji would do much better at f/1.2 in this particular scenario.

With APS-c and 56mm f1.2 it is 2.3cm soooooo if you like your EM1 it seems quit pointless to me.

Well, as I said above, it has its uses. One can always close the aperture, but one can't open a lens more than it's physical aperture!

Plus the x-trans sensor has is pluses but also minuses!

Agreed.

What do you think of the AF? How about the overall responsiveness of the E1?

Yeah... If only someone would release the f/0.95 Voigtlander lens with AF.... I'm sure many people would buy them.

Are you looking for the one eye in focus look or subject/background isolation?

I have no issues with focussing at all, but I shoot almost only daylight landscapes so not to challenging focus wise.

Our DOF calculators don't seem to agree here. But I still think if you want a meaningful difference to the 45 or 75mm you would need to go full frame with a very fast 80 to 135mm. APSC is not that big a difference.

One difference there is, Xtrans is less noisy!

If on the other hand you are attracted to the camera and are searching a reason to buy, yes it is a lovely camera, feels  and looks great. Love the control system. If you are into portraits I would go for the X-E1, some skin colour issues at high iso's with the 2 newer models (jpeg only).

secretworld's gear list:secretworld's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?

thxbb12 wrote:

Operating speed

X-E2 -faster

Single AF speed

AF accuracy

Mostly the same

EVF

EVF lag

From your answers, it looks like the X-E2 is pretty much on par with the XT1 when it comes to operating responsiveness and AF?

In this case, I might well wait until its price drops down to something similar to the X-E1 today.

In the Fuji universe focus speed is often more about the lens than the body. Later models like the XE2 or model T have faster processors and are much better for focus tracking but some lenses like the 35 and 60mm are much slower than lenses like the 14mm which is essentially instantaneous on my XE1.

there was a thread just last week all about the relative focus speed of all fuji lenses where many users chimed in to state the relative differences. In that thread there was very good agreement about the relative speeds of the lenses. Try to find that thread which should be helpful.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,889Gear list
Like?

thxbb12 wrote:

Operating speed

X-E2 -faster

Single AF speed

AF accuracy

Mostly the same

EVF

EVF lag

The X-T1 is faster at continuous AF, 8fps vs 3fps.

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
bowportes
Senior MemberPosts: 1,658Gear list
Like?

thxbb12 wrote:

Operating speed

X-E2 -faster

Single AF speed

AF accuracy

Mostly the same

EVF

EVF lag

No. The E2 is not on on a par with the T1 when it comes to AF... At least in the area of predictive, continuous AF in burst mode.

And speed is the primary thing distinguishing the E2 EVF from the E1. Their size and resolution are the same.

bowportes's gear list:bowportes's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +9 more
Rachmaninoff2
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
In reply to bowportes, 7 months ago

In good light the X-E1's AF is FAST. It gets a bad rep being that the X-E2 & X-T1 are better, but don't kid yourselves in thinking it's not an extremely capable camera. And at half the cost of the X-E2, it's a no brainer in my book. I bought an X-E1 a few weeks ago and I love it. AF is BARELY slower than my x100s.

joseluisherranz
Contributing MemberPosts: 500Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rachmaninoff2, 7 months ago

Rachmaninoff2 wrote:

In good light the X-E1's AF is FAST. It gets a bad rep being that the X-E2 & X-T1 are better, but don't kid yourselves in thinking it's not an extremely capable camera. And at half the cost of the X-E2, it's a no brainer in my book. I bought an X-E1 a few weeks ago and I love it. AF is BARELY slower than my x100s.

Well, I have tried my new X-E1, wonderful camera, love ir, but it is really slow for moving "things"even in good light and latest firmware.

At least compared to my Nikon d5100.

This is why I am debating with the same question.

How far or near is the XT1 compared to an entry level  Dslr ?

joseluisherranz's gear list:joseluisherranz's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads