Testing the tracking with the A6000 and 16-70

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
LSF
LSF
Regular MemberPosts: 454Gear list
Like?
Testing the tracking with the A6000 and 16-70
2 months ago

figured I would try the tracking capabilities for my dogs today, have to say pretty pleased.  I used S mode-1/500, AFC and zone focusing.  Still need to work a bit on my technique but the capability is there with the camera at least

focus was on the dog with the ball

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Lisa

LSF's gear list:LSF's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 1,682Gear list
Like?
Re: Testing the tracking with the A6000 and 16-70
In reply to LSF, 2 months ago

Nice. The dogs look like they are having a blast and focus looks good to me.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,279Gear list
Like?

LSF wrote:

figured I would try the tracking capabilities for my dogs today, have to say pretty pleased. I used S mode-1/500, AFC and zone focusing. Still need to work a bit on my technique but the capability is there with the camera at least

focus was on the dog with the ball

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Lisa

Excellent Lisa! Thanks for sharing your settings and images-----looks like your dogs had a lot of fun!

cheers,

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
miro3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,822
Like?

How did you keep the focus on the dog with the ball?

LSF
LSF
Like?
In reply to miro3, 2 months ago

miro3 wrote:

I was a good distance away so I aimed at her and focus locked on her and with AFC it followed her..these were cropped as well to highlight the subject and tracking

Thanks everyone else luckily yes they have fun when I am using them for crash test doggies LOL.  I did find that as alot of user have reported the 16-70 really is not that much better than the kit lens, it just does not have the same wow factor sharpness and contrast so it is going back.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Lisa

Sony RX100 II Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
40daystogo
Forum MemberPosts: 64
Like?

LSF wrote:

I was a good distance away so I aimed at her and focus locked on her and with AFC it followed her.

How do you lock the focus on a subject? I was playing with the A6000 in a store, and during AF-C there is no central spot appearing on the screen, so I'm not sure how you indicate to the camera that is the intended main subject? Sure, with one subject there's no issue, but when there are multiple subjects even initially close together - as the dogs were at the start - just how do you indicate to the A6000 what is the main subject?

LSF
LSF
Like?
In reply to 40daystogo, 2 months ago

40daystogo wrote:

LSF wrote:

I was a good distance away so I aimed at her and focus locked on her and with AFC it followed her.

How do you lock the focus on a subject? I was playing with the A6000 in a store, and during AF-C there is no central spot appearing on the screen, so I'm not sure how you indicate to the camera that is the intended main subject? Sure, with one subject there's no issue, but when there are multiple subjects even initially close together - as the dogs were at the start - just how do you indicate to the A6000 what is the main subject?

I focused on her before they all started running and the camera kept the focus on her, except when they are all in the same focus plane then they too were in focus

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Lisa

dquangt
Contributing MemberPosts: 876
Like?

LSF wrote:

There are multiple settings you can set for the focus field. The default I believe is wide which doesn't show a focus box. Personally I usually use flexible spot, medium.

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,078Gear list
Like?

2nd shot is out of focus.

One thing you should really try to take advantage of mirrorless is to shoot extremely low, place the camera low and tilt the LCD up, etc. It will make it so the contrasty grass does not confuse the camera *and* likely make your shots far more interesting as a picture full of contrasty grass is pretty boring too.

This is an advantage you don't get with DSLR unless you lay prone in the grass btw.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
LSF
LSF
Like?
In reply to Timbukto, 2 months ago

Timbukto wrote:

One thing you should really try to take advantage of mirrorless is to shoot extremely low, place the camera low and tilt the LCD up, etc. It will make it so the contrasty grass does not confuse the camera *and* likely make your shots far more interesting as a picture full of contrasty grass is pretty boring too.

This is an advantage you don't get with DSLR unless you lay prone in the grass btw.

thanks for the tips I will try that!

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Lisa

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,670
Like?
re: plenty of DSLRs have fully articulated LCDs now
In reply to Timbukto, 2 months ago

Timbukto wrote:

plenty of DSLRs have fully articulated LCDs now - no need to be so overtly biased !!

jpr2

Foroa
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?

Maybe Sony should sell tracking Sony badges, necklaces and caps, and add a special tracking mode that allows to recognize them.

Timbukto
Senior MemberPosts: 3,078Gear list
Like?
Re: re: plenty of DSLRs have fully articulated LCDs now
In reply to jpr2, 2 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

Timbukto wrote:

plenty of DSLRs have fully articulated LCDs now - no need to be so overtly biased !!

jpr2

Only the Sony DSLT's will perform PDAF well in this situation and maybe the 70D *might* get a sharp shot or two.  The rest you need to lay prone and keep your eyes on the viewfinder to utilize PDAF.

Timbukto's gear list:Timbukto's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +1 more
LeicaBOSS
Regular MemberPosts: 425Gear list
Like?

I'm sorry. I have a Boston. I just cannot look at these without laughing.

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

LeicaBOSS's gear list:LeicaBOSS's gear list
Leica M9 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +17 more
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,278Gear list
Like?

LSF wrote:

Loom for Lock On setting, assign to a button and when you have the subject in focus, using lock on will try to maintain focus on that subject.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
Re: re: plenty of DSLRs have fully articulated LCDs now
In reply to jpr2, 2 months ago

Timbukto wrote:

jpr2

And they will take an eternity to acquire focus in that mode, much less track... only SLTs can. This is a fact, not a biased opinion.

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
EinsteinsGhost
Like?
In reply to LeicaBOSS, 2 months ago

I'm sorry. I have a Boston. I just cannot look at these without laughing.

-- hide signature --

From time to time, I point my camera at the right things. This is generally when I forget everything I've learned.

When I saw tracking in the subject line and then the first image, the first thing that came to my mind with three of them in the frame: now that is a stress test.

Cute little fellas.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads