Thinking about an SB-400. Thoughts?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,666Gear list
Like?
Thinking about an SB-400. Thoughts?
7 months ago

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about getting an SB-400 to throw in my bag for use as a popup-replacement or hair/rim light (with a PocketWizard).

Opinions?

It has to be small as I've become a weight weenie, and anyway, I already have two SB-700s and a SB-900.

I didn't like the SB-300 because it uses AAA batteries and I'm already heavily invested in AA rechargeables.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Daniel4
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking about an SB-400. Thoughts?
In reply to InTheMist, 7 months ago

I found my D800 popup flash surprisingly powerful for direct (not bounce) flash, so I skipped the SB-400 and got the SB-700 instead which is great for bouncing (but you already know that).

Daniel4's gear list:Daniel4's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 899Gear list
Like?

Increase your ISO and the popup is very powerful

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +4 more
Chuck Yadmark
Senior MemberPosts: 2,935Gear list
Like?

Can't find  a new one now and even if you could I'd still probably get this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/603411-REG/Sunpak_RD2000N_RD2000_Digital_TTL_Low_Profile.htm

which is a bit more compact.

-- hide signature --

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

Chuck Yadmark's gear list:Chuck Yadmark's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Samsung NX1000 Nikon D100 Nikon Df +16 more
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,115Gear list
Like?

I had an sb-400 back in my d90 days. Honestly, I found it really not that worth it. If you could use it as a commander, then yes, maybe, but otherwise it's just too limited.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,666Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chuck Yadmark, 7 months ago

Chuck Yadmark wrote:

Can't find a new one now and even if you could I'd still probably get this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/603411-REG/Sunpak_RD2000N_RD2000_Digital_TTL_Low_Profile.htm

That's pretty interesting. Thanks!

romfordbluenose wrote:

Increase your ISO and the popup is very powerful

Yeah, that's true, but not all my cameras have popups.
--
It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,115Gear list
Like?

InTheMist wrote:

but not all my cameras have popups.

-- hide signature --

D'oh! Of course.

In that case, the d400 makes more sense. Sorry, I hadn't considered this.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,722Gear list
Like?

InTheMist wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about getting an SB-400 to throw in my bag for use as a popup-replacement or hair/rim light (with a PocketWizard).

Opinions?

People ditz this flash but I find it useful. The light quality is much nicer than the popup, especially when you clip a 3rd party diffuser on it. Plus it recyles pretty quick and doesn't drain the camera batter. And it can be tilted up to bounce off a ceiling. I also have a couple of SB700's but this little guy always gets thrown in the bag. I do wish it would work off camera by itself but...

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +17 more
chuhsi
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?

It's fine for a small lightweight flash with no frills. Get a diffuser for it.

Only real issue is finding one for a decent price. They've increased in price since being discontinued for inferior sb-300.

I ended up buying the 300 because I couldn't get myself to pay so much money for a 400 (I sold my first 400 a couple years ago)

chuhsi's gear list:chuhsi's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
lickity split
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
In reply to Chuck Yadmark, 7 months ago

Chuck Yadmark wrote:

Can't find a new one now and even if you could I'd still probably get this one:

-- hide signature --

www.sportsshooter.com/cyadmark
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Equipment in profile

Amazon has them,but the price went up since being discontinued..

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-SB-400-Speedlight-Digital-Cameras/dp/B000KKPN5C

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +7 more
David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,722
Like?
Solid flash

InTheMist wrote:

Hi everyone,

Opinions?

It has to be small as I've become a weight weenie, and anyway, I already have two SB-700s and a SB-900.

I didn't like the SB-300 because it uses AAA batteries and I'm already heavily invested in AA rechargeables.

-- hide signature --

I think it is a solid flash  and actually puts out a fair amount of light

it does work with the pocket wizard. Ttl5

that sunpak looks pretty intriguing

Prairie Pal
Senior MemberPosts: 2,241Gear list
Like?

You mention pocketwizard so I'm assuming you mean off camera and in manual mode?

I had an SB400 only briefly but if I remember correctly there are no controls on the flash. It's meant to be used on the hot shoe and controlled by the camera.

Seeing that you will be using it in manual mode (I'm assuming), there are a tons of used flashes to be had, small one with low profiles, and most with some degree of output control. You could probably buy 20 or more of these pre-digital flashes for what an sb400 costs.  I think the sunpack has the same limitations as the sb400.

-- hide signature --

Ivan

David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,722
Like?
Pocket wizard ttl
In reply to Prairie Pal, 7 months ago

Prairie Pal wrote:

You mention pocketwizard so I'm assuming you mean off camera and in manual mode?

I had an SB400 only briefly but if I remember correctly there are no controls on the flash. It's meant to be used on the hot shoe and controlled by the camera.

Seeing that you will be using it in manual mode (I'm assuming), there are a tons of used flashes to be had, small one with low profiles, and most with some degree of output control. You could probably buy 20 or more of these pre-digital flashes for what an sb400 costs. I think the sunpack has the same limitations as the sb400.

-- hide signature --

Ivan

With the new pocket wizard ttl controls, like the ttl5 you can use the sb400 and remotely set the power manually or  use ttl

in that regard it is a pretty awesome flash

there is no way to remotely trigger the sb400 from a dumb trigger

it has to communicate with what it thinks is a camera

Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 4,084Gear list
Like?

InTheMist wrote:

Hi everyone,

Opinions?

-- hide signature --

If you already have a big flash or two, the Sb400 is absolutely wonderful and this is one of those occasions where Ken Rockwell is correct.

Flip the little head up and you get a very nice soft bounce flash, especially if you order the little plastic diffuser with it. When I pack a small bag with my Df or Coolpix P7700, this little flash does so much better than the direct flash that is built in to some of my other camera bodies. If I strip down my D800 (grip off and small prime) the SB400 does a nice enough job, though it's not nearly as versatile as the full size flashes. You're not going to get the type of power of a full sized flash, so don't expect miracles. If you're trying to light up a big scene you'll need to crank the ISO more than with an SB800 or 910.

I bought mine at the last minute for 110.00 bucks. I would not have it as my only flash, but it's nice to have for certain situations and not the heavy counterweight that my big guns are.

I also tried the Sb300 recently and it's really about the same, a bit less powerful, but the head tilts better. The Sb300 also uses AAA batteries instead of AA like the SB400....not a big deal unless you have OCD with battery matching.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
bocajrs
Senior MemberPosts: 1,132Gear list
Like?
In reply to Daniel4, 7 months ago

Daniel4 wrote:

I found my D800 popup flash surprisingly powerful for direct (not bounce) flash, so I skipped the SB-400 and got the SB-700 instead which is great for bouncing (but you already know that).

Ditto... The SB-700 is a very nice flash

bocajrs's gear list:bocajrs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS15 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
seahawk
Senior MemberPosts: 2,086
Like?

I love this tiny flash. Batteries last forever, it puts out quite some light, it can bounce, it is fully camera controlled, with a softbox it works very well. And it is small and weights nothing.

I use it more often than my bigger Metz SB700 alternative.

-- hide signature --

hobby aviation photographer

Paul P K
Regular MemberPosts: 222Gear list
Like?
In reply to seahawk, 7 months ago

Highly recommended

Small, quite powerfull and works like a charm with the TT5, and with a AC-3 or SU800 will have its power reduced similar to eg the SB800 and SB910 (was a surprise for me when I found that one one, since it standard has no CLS functions)

I also always have it with me together with the DF, nice small volume package which still allows plenty of possibilties

-- hide signature --

all in a day's work
http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/

Paul P K's gear list:Paul P K's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon D2X Nikon D1H +20 more
Chas J
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?

I have the SB - 400 and SB-800 and other large flashes.   It is the 400 that I use the most.

A trick I use much of the time is to tilt the flash head upwards and then insert a business card in the slot that opens up behind the rotated head (if you look at one - you will see what I mean).  This not only gives bounce flash but soft fill flash at the same time ... and it costs nothing !.

Great flash that always gets thrown in my bag when I am using my Nikon kit.

Chas.

-- hide signature --

Doha, Qatar.
==============
Do Not Listen to What I Say ... Listen to What I Mean !.

Chas J's gear list:Chas J's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D3200 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70s Olympus PEN E-P2 +19 more
tommiejeep
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,872
Like?
In reply to Chas J, 7 months ago

I love it on the Df for fill but I am seriously looking at the Nissin i40 which is even smaller and more functional (Focus Assist for one )

this was a quick snap at a recent Charity function with the SB400 and 85 1.4D

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Anticipate the Light and wing it when you get it wrong
Tom
http://taja.smugmug.com/

Chas J
Regular MemberPosts: 410Gear list
Like?
In reply to tommiejeep, 7 months ago

Great Shot.

-- hide signature --

Doha, Qatar.
==============
Do Not Listen to What I Say ... Listen to What I Mean !.

Chas J's gear list:Chas J's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D3200 Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D70s Olympus PEN E-P2 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads