NP-FW50 Weight - varies

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Jawed
Regular MemberPosts: 120Gear list
Like?
NP-FW50 Weight - varies
7 months ago

Recently I bought an a6000, which came with an NP-FW50 battery. Separately I bought two NP-FW50 batteries:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003NJVY14

I noticed that the battery that came with the camera is lighter than the two batteries I bought from Amazon (each of which came in what appears to be authentic Sony packaging which is extremely annoying to open).

Sony batteries are often "fakes" and one factor that people report is that the fake is lighter than the battery that came with the camera.

Well, in this case, it's the other way around:

• battery that came with a6000 = 42g
  • batteries ordered from Amazon = 57g

The two spare batteries that I bought have a "light grey" InfoLITHIUM logo on the side. The battery that came with the camera has a "shiny embossed" logo instead.

The battery that came with a friend's NEX-6 (bought shortly after it launched) has the same style of "light grey" logo. It weighs 58g.

I have no idea if there's a difference in performance between these batteries. I don't intend to find out, either.

a6000

a6000

Spare

Spare

NEX-6

NEX-6

Jawed's gear list:Jawed's gear list
Sony a6000
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list
Like?
Re: NP-FW50 Weight - varies
In reply to Jawed, 7 months ago

Hi, I reckon weight is a good way to tell. The life of the battery is likely to be less than the real Sony battery (around 60% or so), and there may be compatibility issues between it and current/future bodies.

Some of the fakes come in very convincing "Sony" packaging, including an instruction leaflet. I got sold one of these, and was able to tell by the weight and battery life that the battery wasn't right. The seller refunded the money without a quibble when this was pointed out.

My guess is that the 42g battery is most likely a fake. The other 2 are I guess OK.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ynos
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?

I have 5 batteries (1 from 5N, 1 from 5R and 3 from Wasabi form amazon). Sony batteries are a bit heavier. However, from my experience difference in operation is not noticeable. All batteries last same amount of time. Maybe there are some fake ones that are really bad. I haven't encountered them luckily.

bugeyed
Senior MemberPosts: 1,136
Like?
-- hide signature --

I just think that things should work the way I expect them to.

spacemn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128
Like?

Don't worry, the embossed look shows it is the new FW50 battery from Sony.

Watch this video from 4:10. Same battery as yours. As long as the rating is 1080mAh then you're fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZB4ARYCOl0

Perhaps they have optimized the Li material so that not as much is needed or they save the weight by making the plastic thinner, or who knows. Good thing if it's still 1080mAh as you save a bit more weight while capacity remains and on top of that the camera is probably even more efficient than the NEX-6

EDIT: I can see from your pictures that the rating has gone from 1080 to 1020 mAh. No big deal I suppose, but I definitely don't think it is fake. If someone would make a fake than they would go with the light grey marking as that one is how the FW50 has always looked.

Jawed
Like?
In reply to seachicken2000, 7 months ago

seachicken2000 wrote:

My guess is that the 42g battery is most likely a fake.

The battery that came with the camera is a fake, you reckon?

Sony a6000
spacemn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128
Like?

Jawed wrote:

seachicken2000 wrote:

I definitely don't think so. as you can see from your own pictures the rating has gone from 1080 to 1020 mAh, thus the slightly lighter weight and also watch the video (from 4:10) I linked in the post above.

seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,786Gear list
Like?

Jawed wrote:

seachicken2000 wrote:

Hmmm, in the light of all the new evidence, nope I reckon not, and especially if you bought the camera new. Looks like the 57g batteries are the older models.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.
http://500px.com/seachicken

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Jawed
Like?
In reply to spacemn, 7 months ago

spacemn wrote:

EDIT: I can see from your pictures that the rating has gone from 1080 to 1020 mAh. No big deal I suppose, but I definitely don't think it is fake. If someone would make a fake than they would go with the light grey marking as that one is how the FW50 has always looked.

If you look carefully you will see that the older style batteries both have two capacity ratings on them: "typical" and "minimum", being 7.7Wh and 7.3Wh, corresponding with 1080 and 1020mAh.

The new battery merely has the minimum rating shown.

So the older batteries might be heavier for the reason you stated.

Sony a6000
eriknphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?

I have noticed the exact same thing. I bought everything from Sony Store online though, so I'm pretty sure they're genuine.

forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,893
Like?

It's practically impossible to distinguish real batteries visually taking into account several styles of batteries Sony used themselves. The only way of knowing for sure is to open them up and examine the content. Counterfeiters know very well the difference in weight, so they learned to add some metal stuff inside. The other thing you can do is to run a battery capacity test.

Son Of Mustang Ford
Regular MemberPosts: 318
Like?
In reply to Ynos, 7 months ago

Ynos wrote:

All batteries last same amount of time. Maybe there are some fake ones that are really bad. I haven't encountered them luckily.

No, they really don't. The original (Sony) battery that was supplied with my Nex-3 is still able to hold enough charge to take about 100 pictures. The next summer I bought a cheap (ebay) spare - it was fine for about a year but nowadays holds it's charge for about 10 (yes, ten) pictures if I am lucky. The following summer I bought a more expensive copy on Amazon (it had a German name), this one was 'good' for longer, but now I am lucky if I get 30 shots out of it.

ZTJ
ZTJ
Regular MemberPosts: 101Gear list
Like?
In reply to Son Of Mustang Ford, 7 months ago

Son Of Mustang Ford wrote:

Ynos wrote:

All batteries last same amount of time. Maybe there are some fake ones that are really bad. I haven't encountered them luckily.

No, they really don't. The original (Sony) battery that was supplied with my Nex-3 is still able to hold enough charge to take about 100 pictures. The next summer I bought a cheap (ebay) spare - it was fine for about a year but nowadays holds it's charge for about 10 (yes, ten) pictures if I am lucky. The following summer I bought a more expensive copy on Amazon (it had a German name), this one was 'good' for longer, but now I am lucky if I get 30 shots out of it.

What in the world are you doing to abuse these batteries buddy? I have a NP-FW50 I have had since NEX launched, used across nearly every model released, probably 50,000 exposures on it, and I still get a couple hundred before it dies.

Lithium Ion batteries require specific treatment to remain in top condition over time, perhaps you're doing... the opposite of that special treatment?

Whatever the case, it seems strange to me based on my own experiences.

ZTJ's gear list:ZTJ's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Ynos
Like?
In reply to Son Of Mustang Ford, 7 months ago

Ynos wrote:

Well, I was specifically talking about my batteries Wasabi vs Sony - those last about same. Should have been more specific. As for ebay cheap batteries I agree there are some really bad ones.

PVCdroid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,171Gear list
Like?

Ynos wrote:

Well, I was specifically talking about my batteries Wasabi vs Sony - those last about same. Should have been more specific. As for ebay cheap batteries I agree there are some really bad ones.

My two Wasabi batteries don't hold a charge like my original Sony batteries and a few other Power 2000 batteries I bought. I was surprised because the Wasabi batteries are the third party option usually recommended here. I'll charge them to 100% and a week later they will lose up to 15% without use. One is worse than the other. The the Sony batteries I have that came with my cameras are solid. I hate to hear there may be fake Sony batteries around.

PVCdroid's gear list:PVCdroid's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R
BlackBirdSR
New MemberPosts: 12
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 7 months ago

I have noticed the weight difference as well.
My nex5n Battery is heavier than the new one from the alpha 6000. Both are genuine of course. I fully expect sony to have different suppliers (Internal or external) and maybe even different materials and hence internal structure.

Son Of Mustang Ford
Like?
In reply to ZTJ, 7 months ago

ZTJ wrote:

Ynos wrote:

What in the world are you doing to abuse these batteries buddy? I have a NP-FW50 I have had since NEX launched, used across nearly every model released, probably 50,000 exposures on it, and I still get a couple hundred before it dies.

Lithium Ion batteries require specific treatment to remain in top condition over time, perhaps you're doing... the opposite of that special treatment?

Whatever the case, it seems strange to me based on my own experiences.

Use it -charge it, use it -charge it. The normal thing. The Nex 3 instruction manual has this to say "Battery life is limited. Battery capacity decreases over time and through repeated use". Kid gloves? Again all the Nex manual tells is not to leave the battery in a hot car, and to remove the battery from the charger as soon as it is ready. I was just saying don't expect too much from a budget copy - the Sony still works, the copies - with the same treatment, only newer, are absolutely finished (mind you, if you do the math they are probably still just about worth it).

And one of the supposed advantages (we are told) of Lithium Ion batteries is that they are far more tolerant of 'charging abuse' than some earlier types - none of the part-charge-memory-effect

Oh, and I'm not American, so please don't call me 'buddy' (it just makes me think of Napoleon in 'Bill and Ted')

actually, to be fair 'a couple of hundred' is plenty less than the 330 quoted in the DPR test from 2010 so maybe yours isn't really in much better condition than mine, and doing a count of my last big day out - the (Sony) battery did at least 180 pics. We are not that different.

Cheers

Son Of Mustang Ford
Like?

Ynos wrote:

Ynos wrote:

I've heard good things about Wasabi, cost-wise they seem to be between the genuine article and the cheap ebay copies. I don't mind a copy as long as it is 'honest' i.e. doesn't have Sony written all over it - I think if someone is putting their name on it then you stand half a chance of getting something good (hence I was more disappointed with the 'German-named' copy than I was with the really cheap copy)

cheers

Ynos
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 7 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

Ynos wrote:

My two Wasabi batteries don't hold a charge like my original Sony batteries and a few other Power 2000 batteries I bought. I was surprised because the Wasabi batteries are the third party option usually recommended here. I'll charge them to 100% and a week later they will lose up to 15% without use. One is worse than the other. The the Sony batteries I have that came with my cameras are solid. I hate to hear there may be fake Sony batteries around.

I know Mel Snyder has Wasabi and loves it. I had only good experience with them as well. Maybe there are fake Wasabi batteries already?

marc petzold
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?

It looks clearly to me that your 1st Battery which came with your A6000 is fake - mine looking like your other examples, the Sony ones. Apart from this, i'm using 3rd Party batteries from the brand "PATONA" nearly for all my cameras & DSLR, and i can say that these ones are really great, for half or 1/3 of the original Sony price.

marc

marc petzold's gear list:marc petzold's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Samsung TL500 Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +56 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads