D800 USB connection

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
starman1969
Senior MemberPosts: 2,136Gear list
Like?
D800 USB connection
2 months ago

I recently upgraded to a D800 but I was disappointed with the supplied usb cable. It doesn't look like any other usb cable I own. Nothing like the popular type for my D600, so it does cause inconvenience when transferring files from different bodies.

Am I missing something, or is there a reason for the dual plug usb??

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,286Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 USB connection
In reply to starman1969, 2 months ago

The D800 cable is USB 3 for much faster file transfer to a USB 3 computer than older style USB 2.

USB 3 needs a "full size" USB connection with the USB 3 notch at the camera end.

The Nikon cable has an extra plastic part at the camera end to prevent the cable from accidentally being pulled out. At first my cable was not 100% reliable but since using it about 7 times it works perfect every time.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Producing good quality photographs, or being good at sport or art, involves a little more than buying appropriate equipment. Practice, some learning and perhaps natural talent often play a bigger role than the equipment in your hands.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 661Gear list
Like?

starman1969 wrote:

I recently upgraded to a D800 but I was disappointed with the supplied usb cable. It doesn't look like any other usb cable I own. Nothing like the popular type for my D600, so it does cause inconvenience when transferring files from different bodies.

-- hide signature --

Its a USB3 connection. All USB3 devices use this cable

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
starman1969
Like?
In reply to romfordbluenose, 2 months ago

romfordbluenose wrote:

starman1969 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Its a USB3 connection. All USB3 devices use this cable

Thanks for the answers. It is very fast, so I won't complain about that.

-- hide signature --

Nikon D800E Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,604
Like?
USB3

starman1969 wrote:

-- hide signature --

It is the USB3 standard that adds the other connector.  This is not a Nikon specific connector

You can still use USB2 cables - just plug it into the smaller of the two connectors on the camera

USB3 has blue on the computer end inside plastic

romfordbluenose
Like?
Re: USB3
In reply to David314, 2 months ago

David314 wrote:

starman1969 wrote:

-- hide signature --

It is the USB3 standard that adds the other connector. This is not a Nikon specific connector

You can still use USB2 cables - just plug it into the smaller of the two connectors on the camera

I always thought the other connector on a D800 was an HDMI output port not a USB2 port.

Are you saying the HDMI port can be used for USB2 transfers using a USB2 cable, and have you actually used it in this way? As far as I know the HDMI port can only be used to connect to a display of some sort.

Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
David314
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,604
Like?
not in HDMI

romfordbluenose wrote:

David314 wrote:

starman1969 wrote:

-- hide signature --

It is the USB3 standard that adds the other connector. This is not a Nikon specific connector

I always thought the other connector on a D800 was an HDMI output port not a USB2 port.

Are you saying the HDMI port can be used for USB2 transfers using a USB2 cable, and have you actually used it in this way? As far as I know the HDMI port can only be used to connect to a display of some sort.

USB3 micro B has two connectors, - see far right below

one of them is a standard USB micro B connector and any micro B USB 2 cable will work when plugged into that half

so you can use any standard USB 2.0 micro B cable with the D800 by only using half of the USB3 connector

I hope that makes sense.

I too was puzzled by the D800 connectors but now that I have other USB 3 devices I see the logic behind what was done and can understand how it can be confusing.

romfordbluenose
Like?
Re: not in HDMI
In reply to David314, 2 months ago

Thanks, I have learned something new today.

AlephNull
Contributing MemberPosts: 720Gear list
Like?

romfordbluenose wrote:

David314 wrote:

starman1969 wrote:

-- hide signature --

There IS an HDMI port as well as a USB3 port (the USB3 looks like two connections, but it's one), the HDMI port is separate.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D800E
starman1969
Like?
In reply to AlephNull, 2 months ago

AlephNull wrote:

romfordbluenose wrote:

David314 wrote:

starman1969 wrote:

-- hide signature --

There IS an HDMI port as well as a USB3 port (the USB3 looks like two connections, but it's one), the HDMI port is separate.

That's interesting. So if I was to just plug in the smaller connector that would work?? I understand the transfer would be slower if so.

I just got caught out by the strange looking connection because I've never seen one like it before, although I am aware of USB 3.0

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,355
Like?

Yes, it is a USB 3 Micro-B connector and you can find cables of various lengths on Amazon. I bought a 1 ft. cable for use with a CamRanger so there would be less spaghetti around the camera.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,460Gear list
Like?

That's because it's a micro USB 3.0 cable. Most USB 3.0 connectors have a colored insert in the standard-A end denoting that it is USB 3.0. Not all of them do but the micro-B end is a dead giveaway that it is a USB 3.0 cable. The USB 3.0 cable that comes with the Nikon D800 has one standard-A end and a micro-B end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

Micro USB 3.0 cable. Notice that it has two areas for conductors.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +50 more
starman1969
Like?
In reply to Cliff Fujii, 2 months ago

Cliff Fujii wrote:

That's because it's a micro USB 3.0 cable. Most USB 3.0 connectors have a colored insert in the standard-A end denoting that it is USB 3.0. Not all of them do but the micro-B end is a dead giveaway that it is a USB 3.0 cable. The USB 3.0 cable that comes with the Nikon D800 has one standard-A end and a micro-B end.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

Micro USB 3.0 cable. Notice that it has two areas for conductors.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Thanks for that. I took another look at my cable and it has the blue end. I didn't notice that before.

-- hide signature --

romfordbluenose
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, 2 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

Yes, it is a USB 3 Micro-B connector and you can find cables of various lengths on Amazon. I bought a 1 ft. cable for use with a CamRanger so there would be less spaghetti around the camera.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Be aware that USB3 is far more sensitive to cable length than USB2. Do not try lengths over 2m.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads