anyone by chance make a rule of 3rds back LCD protector for D800?!?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Jeff31M
Forum MemberPosts: 59
Like?
anyone by chance make a rule of 3rds back LCD protector for D800?!?
3 months ago

Yes, it may sound silly, but I quite wish Nikon would have added it to the grid options on the D800e that I own.

I am so used to using it on previous cameras that I miss it.  I do use it a lot, as I find it's what I find a good crop to, and it helps me even horizons best.

I could TRY make my own, by simply measuing then just cutting some lines with an X-acto night, but it would require some heavy precision.

Cant find anything on Ebay, but maybe I am searching the wrong places.....

Thanks for any possible help!

-- hide signature --

jeffwizniak.smugmug.com

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,408Gear list
Like?
Re: anyone by chance make a rule of 3rds back LCD protector for D800?!?
In reply to Jeff31M, 3 months ago

I presume you are talking live view as using phase detect there are 2 horizontal lines and 4 points very close to the "thirds" displayed in the viewfinder.

If working from a tripod it is not difficult to switch live view on and off.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Producing good quality photographs, or being good at sport or art, involves a little more than buying appropriate equipment. Practice, some learning and perhaps natural talent often play a bigger role than the equipment in your hands.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Testing123
Regular MemberPosts: 327Gear list
Like?
In reply to Leonard Shepherd, 3 months ago

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

I presume you are talking live view as using phase detect there are 2 horizontal lines and 4 points very close to the "thirds" displayed in the viewfinder.

Leonard,

Not sure what you mean by the above.

Here is a pic of the D800's view finder (not the LCD display on the back of the D800):

The black lines are the default lines that are displayed by the camera.

The red lines are "rule of thirds" lines I have added to the pic.

As can be seen, the red lines are not in the same location as the black lines and the intersection points do not correspond either. They are definitely not "the "thirds" displayed in the viewfinder" as you stated above.

Jeff31M,

There is some good info to be had if you'll sift through the following thread over on Fred Miranda's board. It won't give you an LCD cover that displays the rule of thirds lines, but it may open you up to checking out Golden Mean and Dynamic Symmetry as Robin Casady's post suggests.

Here's the start of the thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1194799/0

Here's Robin's post (first on page 3): http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1194799/2

Hope that helps...

Allen

Testing123's gear list:Testing123's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?

Instead of etching the LCD cover with subtractive grid lines; use additive grid lines by using high quality vinyl tape and make grid lines using the tape instead.  This way you won't ruin your cover and and if you mess up, simply cut new grid lines or move them.

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,695Gear list
Like?

Never understood why anyone puts plastic covers on pro bodies. The LCD's have hardened glass covers and unless you keep tungsten carbide or diamonds in your camera bag it's unlikely you'll ever mark them. My D3x and D3s have been working happily - the D3s since about 2010 - with no cover and the screens are unmarked. Believe me when I say I do not baby them.

You can just draw on the cover with a fine marker and a ruler if you're using one, I guess.

Testing123
Like?
In reply to MPA1, 3 months ago

MPA1 wrote:

Never understood why anyone puts plastic covers on pro bodies. The LCD's have hardened glass covers and unless you keep tungsten carbide or diamonds in your camera bag it's unlikely you'll ever mark them. My D3x and D3s have been working happily - the D3s since about 2010 - with no cover and the screens are unmarked. Believe me when I say I do not baby them.

I do believe you, however, I'd still be leery of doing that.

You can just draw on the cover with a fine marker and a ruler if you're using one, I guess.

This might be a good idea for Jeff31M. Just purchase and use a spare Nikon BM-12 LCD Monitor Cover for this project. Relatively cheap ($16.95 from B&H as I write this) and you could use several LCD covers for different patterns (rule of thirds, Golden Mean, etc. You could use high quality vinyl tape instead of a fine marker as Al Giordano suggested.

Here's the Nikon BM-12 LCD Monitor Cover on B&H PHoto:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/843392-REG/Nikon_27039_BM_12_LCD_Monitor_Cover.html

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +1 more
larrywilson
Senior MemberPosts: 3,267
Like?
In reply to Testing123, 3 months ago

I never use protective covers.  The plastic covers are worthless due to moisture under the covers or scratches and makes the daytime reflections worst than without covers.  I just use the grid in the viewfinder for holding camera vertical or horizontal and just estimate the thirds.

Larry

Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 825Gear list
Like?

Couldn't you use an Expert Shield protection screen? Fairly cheap... and btw. makes the D800 look *so* much better!

I know, the LCD is hardened glass, but it would break my heart to accidentally scratch it, so to enjoy the naked look, I tried the above Expert Shield screen. No black borders, precision fit, still haven't scratched it (it's promised to be scratch free), easy to clean...

Liked it so much, I did a little review here: http://www.scvphotoideas.com/2014/03/expert-shield-screen-protector-for.html

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
billslatteryjr
Regular MemberPosts: 104Gear list
Like?

Maybe a little off topic, but what's that viewfinder grid suppose to represent and why not offer a rule of thirds grid in the viewfinder instead/also?

billslatteryjr's gear list:billslatteryjr's gear list
Nikon D800
Bunza
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?

MPA1 wrote:

Never understood why anyone puts plastic covers on pro bodies.

I'm glad you've had good experience but your sample size is only one.

The LCD can get broken with a protector or may never get a scratch without one.

A protection screen lowers the odds of scratching or breaking the LCD.

As with all gambling, people just have varying degrees of risk tolerance.

So, the only thing to understand is that others are different from you.

Personally I didn't like how the supplied plastic LCD protectors scratch so I bought one from Vello that's coated optical glass.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860344-REG/Vello_spso_nd800_Snap_On_LCD_Screen_Protector.html

Testing123
Like?
In reply to Bunza, 3 months ago

Bunza wrote:

MPA1 wrote:

Personally I didn't like how the supplied plastic LCD protectors scratch so I bought one from Vello that's coated optical glass.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/860344-REG/Vello_spso_nd800_Snap_On_LCD_Screen_Protector.html

Go here --> http://photographylife.com/reviews/vello-lcd-screen-protector-for-nikon-d800

Scroll down to comment #1, which basically says,

"I purchased this Vello protector some time ago and was quite disappointed to find it’s incompatibility with RRS L-plate for D800."

I was thinking about getting one of these, but since my Really Right Stuff L-plate stays on my D800 100% of the time, it won't work for me.

BTW - Some customers on both B&H and Amazon have left comments that this LCD protector tends to fall of easily.

Hope you haven't had problems with yours.

Regards,

Allen

MPA1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,695Gear list
Like?
In reply to Bunza, 3 months ago

Bunza wrote:

MPA1 wrote:

If it breaks, it's insured.

If it suffers a fall severe enough to do that, it is clearly not likely to be the only damage it suffers so it would be going for repair anyway. Nikon obviously see no issue as they don't include covers with the bodies - at least not for the D3 bodies I have and I assume not for the other high end bodies.

And this is from Ellis Vener who's also a longtime Nikon user (Vener commercial clients): "According to the briefings with the D3 engineers back in August in Tokyo and Sendai that I went to, Nikon is using specially formulated tempered optical grade glass to cover the LCD screen on the D3. You might need a hammer or a rock to crack it or scratch it."

On the high end bodies, the screen thing is just a marketing grab for extra cash....

Testing123
Like?

MPA1 wrote:

Nikon obviously see no issue as they don't include covers with the bodies - at least not for the D3 bodies I have and I assume not for the other high end bodies.

I believe Jeff31M (the person that started this thread) was asking about a D800e which does come with the Nikon BM-12 LCD Monitor Cover.

Janoch
Like?

MPA1 wrote: ...You might need a hammer or a rock to crack it or scratch it.

It's that rock bit, that worried me enough to get the extra protection. As said, cheap. Does not interfere with anything.

And invisible too, btw.:

"Hi, my name is Jan, and I'm a gearhead!"

I don't care of any rules, but use the viewfinder's three lines as guides. Two line's too few imo...

Jeff, btw. you can use Virtual horizon (p. 337) for alignment.

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
JJ168
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Leonard,

Here is a pic of the D800's view finder (not the LCD display on the back of the D800):

As can be seen, the red lines are not in the same location as the black lines and the intersection points do not correspond either. They are definitely not "the "thirds" displayed in the viewfinder" as you stated above.

Jeff31M,

There is some good info to be had if you'll sift through the following thread over on Fred Miranda's board. It won't give you an LCD cover that displays the rule of thirds lines, but it may open you up to checking out Golden Mean and Dynamic Symmetry as Robin Casady's post suggests.

Here's the start of the thread: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1194799/0

Here's Robin's post (first on page 3): http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1194799/2

Hope that helps...

Allen

Why can't one use the AF point that close to the rule of third? I am sure those points don't move around.

Regarding aligning horizontal line, those 51 AF points again can act like a line to me.

JJ168's gear list:JJ168's gear list
Nikon D810
JJ168
Regular MemberPosts: 150Gear list
Like?
In reply to larrywilson, 3 months ago

+1

JJ168's gear list:JJ168's gear list
Nikon D810
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,721Gear list
Like?
Easy DIY Solution

Jeff31M wrote:

Yes, it may sound silly, but I quite wish Nikon would have added it to the grid options on the D800e that I own.

I am so used to using it on previous cameras that I miss it. I do use it a lot, as I find it's what I find a good crop to, and it helps me even horizons best.

I could TRY make my own, by simply measuing then just cutting some lines with an X-acto night, but it would require some heavy precision.

Cant find anything on Ebay, but maybe I am searching the wrong places.....

Thanks for any possible help!

-- hide signature --

jeffwizniak.smugmug.com

You can print out some lines on a laser printer on some clear transparency used for overhead projectors.

You buy that at an office supply store and download a free and simple sketch or drawing program to create the lines.

Do a test run on paper to check the size and then print the same thing on a transparency.

Just cut and tape the transparency over the back screen.

That way you can take it off when you don't need it.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
wdperkins
New MemberPosts: 20
Like?

I don't know about scratching but a GGS protector once shattered in an unlikely incident and saved my LCD cover and probably my LCD.   I had my camera on a monopod over my shoulder, made a turn in a tight spot, and my LCD impacted the pointy end of a hard object.  It's anecdotal, but it sold me on them as inexpensive insurance against the unexpected.

Janoch
Like?
Re: Easy DIY Solution
In reply to user_name, 3 months ago

10 points for an excellent idea!

Janoch
Like?
In reply to JJ168, 3 months ago

JJ168 wrote:

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

Leonard,

As can be seen, the red lines are not in the same location as the black lines and the intersection points do not correspond either. They are definitely not "the "thirds" displayed in the viewfinder" as you stated above.

Jeff31M,

Hope that helps...

Allen

Why can't one use the AF point that close to the rule of third? I am sure those points don't move around.

Regarding aligning horizontal line, those 51 AF points again can act like a line to me.

The "problem" is, that they don't show... only active point is "on" or visible...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads