E-mount and the Other San Francisco

Started 7 months ago | Photos
David Wyman
Regular MemberPosts: 276Gear list
Like?
E-mount and the Other San Francisco
7 months ago

Here are some images from the last 24 hours in San Francisco. I used my A6000 for a few shots, and my NEX-7 for the rest. My lenses choice: 10-18mm and 55-210. I rarely use lenses in the "normal" range, zoom or prime, although I have them. I prefer rhe world through a wide or tele lens.

Many of my photos were made in locations that are not iconic, or are of iconic places from non-standard locations. For me, that' spartan of the fun of photography. Even so, I tried to capture the sense of The City by the Bay.

I love my Nikons. For walking around a city like San Francisco, I like my little Sony cameras more.

David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 +1 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,894
Like?
Re: E-mount and the Other San Francisco
In reply to David Wyman, 7 months ago

David Wyman wrote:

Here are some images from the last 24 hours in San Francisco. I used my A6000 for a few shots, and my NEX-7 for the rest. My lenses choice: 10-18mm and 55-210. I rarely use lenses in the "normal" range, zoom or prime, although I have them. I prefer rhe world through a wide or tele lens.

Maybe you should, because framing on those pictures isn't great.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 749Gear list
Like?
In reply to forpetessake, 7 months ago

forpetessake wrote:

David Wyman wrote:

A good photographer goes out and finds images that conform to his vision, often dictated by lens availability.  Such is the case here, and I think the OP did a great job.

You critique is totally lacking in reasons and examples, and thus without merit.

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +12 more
bluedingdong
Regular MemberPosts: 115
Like?

I like these pics as there were lots of nice perspectives when taken. I think photography is art more than technicality. Welcome to the bay area. Short stay?

ottonis
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?

David, these pictures are fantastic, particularly nr. 3-5. I am very impressed how atmospheric and lively the indoor picture is, showing the cook preparing some food. The lighting and composition are spot on, and then there is this dynamics and motion that makes you feel like you are standing right there and watching this guy cooking. Brilliant!

The trampoline jumping kid is also extremely well captured. It's a very interesting and attention-grabbing viewing angle and again the right amount of motion to make this picture live.

Best

David
--
www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
sidebyside
Regular MemberPosts: 424Gear list
Like?

forpetessake wrote:

David Wyman wrote:

Critique if you must, but there's no need to be rude. Also, I just looked at your gallery and rather than being rude myself, I'll say nothing else.

sidebyside's gear list:sidebyside's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +7 more
silps
Regular MemberPosts: 158Gear list
Like?
In reply to sidebyside, 7 months ago

Great shots, really gives me a feel for the city. Those characters in the second shot look a bit dubious, how did you get away with taking that candid shot?

silps's gear list:silps's gear list
Sony a6000 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Apple iPhone 5 +2 more
LifeIsAVerb
Senior MemberPosts: 1,022
Like?
In reply to silps, 7 months ago

silps wrote:

Great shots, really gives me a feel for the city. Those characters in the second shot look a bit dubious, how did you get away with taking that candid shot?

Why do they look "dubious"?

LifeIsAVerb
Like?

Nice set of diverse images. I especially respond to 3 and 6. Man on bike could, perhaps, benefit from a bit of cropping.

PBR Streetgang
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?
In reply to LifeIsAVerb, 7 months ago

silps wrote:

Why do they look "dubious"?

I think he meant "doobieous."

LifeIsAVerb
Like?

sidebyside wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

David Wyman wrote:

Critique if you must, but there's no need to be rude. Also, I just looked at your gallery and rather than being rude myself, I'll say nothing else.

That wasn't a critique, it was verbal farting.

PBR Streetgang
Regular MemberPosts: 242
Like?

Very nice.

Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,167
Like?
Re: E-mount and the Other San FranciscoVery nice set of pics, thanks for sharing.
-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3 & 5R + Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100

Jerry R
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,167
Like?
Dandrewk, totally agree with you. These are more interesting than the run of the
In reply to Dandrewk, 7 months ago

Dandrewk, totally agree with you. These are more interesting than the run of the mill travel pics.

-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, NEX C3 & 5R + Zeiss 24mm E Lens, Nikon D5100

santiclaws
Contributing MemberPosts: 732
Like?

sidebyside wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

David Wyman wrote:

You meant you were going to say that judging by his gallery he should not be giving out photographic advice on the off chance someone might listen? That  would be rude. I'm glad you didn't say anything.

David Wyman
Regular MemberPosts: 276Gear list
Like?
In reply to silps, 7 months ago

silps wrote:

Thanks for the nice words. They were a friendly group. I tried a technique I like for candids I have time. I just stay in one spot, and after I while I become invisible to people. Then I can make all the photos I want.

David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 +1 more
ottonis
Contributing MemberPosts: 622Gear list
Like?

David Wyman wrote:

silps wrote:

Thanks for the nice words. They were a friendly group. I tried a technique I like for candids I have time. I just stay in one spot, and after I while I become invisible to people. Then I can make all the photos I want.

Haha, this is some great advice! Will have to try it.

-- hide signature --

www.flicker.com/davidsphotoblog777

ottonis's gear list:ottonis's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Voigtlander 40mm F1.4 Nokton Classic Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +4 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,894
Like?
Thank you

sidebyside wrote:

forpetessake wrote:

David Wyman wrote:

That reply is so rich. So much wrong in just two sentences. Let's analyse it.

The post replies to the statement of fact I made, whether it was right or wrong it could be argued, but the "sidebyside" decided to take an offense instead. Fine. I've been lucky to live in a free society that values the freedom of speech, and I would stand with you defending your right to make any outrageous statements. Some people like to police the forum, or bully others into silence, -- I have no respect for them.

Next, the "sidebyside" commits two logical fallacies (unfortunately common in this forum). Number one. He looked at my gallery and apparently didn't like it. So what? -- You may say. He doesn't know the reasons this or that picture is there, and I didn't ask him for his feedback. So every reasonable individual would conclude that I couldn't care less what he had to say, and the reasonable individual would be right.

Logical fallacy #2. "sidebyside" decided to attack the messenger and not the message: a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument. Even if I were proven to be the worst photographer in the world of all times and ages, "sidebyside's" reply would still be nonsensical.

Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 749Gear list
Like?
Re: Thank you

Seems like everyone here is "attacking" the messenger.  I don't see any of them as attacks, as your original post contained no real message.  You sensitivity to the comments, however, do contain a message.

Getting back to the point, you still have NOT given any reason for your original negativity.  Thus, it makes your critique totally worthless.  If you're going to make snippy comments, back it up, otherwise  it's just ramblings of a troll with no interest in forum discussion.

Just why, EXACTLY, was the OP's framing so bad?  Please, fill up our world with you insight and photographic acumen.

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +12 more
José B
Forum ProPosts: 17,598Gear list
Like?

David Wyman wrote:

Many of my photos were made in locations that are not iconic, or are of iconic places from non-standard locations. For me, that' spartan of the fun of photography. Even so, I tried to capture the sense of The City by the Bay.

I love my Nikons. For walking around a city like San Francisco, I like my little Sony cameras more.

Beautiful work, well composed and love the lighting! Thanks for sharing.

José

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads