Nikon D800 RAW VS DNG Quality

Started 7 months ago | Questions
bakhtyar kurdi
Regular MemberPosts: 427
Like?
Nikon D800 RAW VS DNG Quality
7 months ago

Just by converting RAW files from my D800 to DNG to be able to process it in older PS,what I noticed is the size reduced from 71mb to 38mb.

Does that mean we lose information? how that possible?

Anyone knows what is the reason?

ANSWER:
BartyLobethal
Contributing MemberPosts: 628Gear list
Like?
Uncompressed vs Lossless Compressed
In reply to bakhtyar kurdi, 7 months ago

Sounds like you're shooting uncompressed RAW. DNG is a lossless compressed format that will produce file sizes that vary according to the amount of detail / data in a given scene. Lossless compressed files (in principle) can be decompressed with no loss of data. It is possible that some Nikon-specific metadata is lost.

Compare the DNG file sizes that result from conversion from uncompressed RAW to the output from your camera using Nikon's lossless compressed option. They should be nearly the same for a given image.

-- hide signature --

BartyL

BartyLobethal's gear list:BartyLobethal's gear list
Nikon D50 Nikon D700 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bakhtyar kurdi
Regular MemberPosts: 427
Like?
Re: Uncompressed vs Lossless Compressed
In reply to BartyLobethal, 7 months ago

BartyLobethal wrote:

Sounds like you're shooting uncompressed RAW. DNG is a lossless compressed format that will produce file sizes that vary according to the amount of detail / data in a given scene. Lossless compressed files (in principle) can be decompressed with no loss of data. It is possible that some Nikon-specific metadata is lost.

Compare the DNG file sizes that result from conversion from uncompressed RAW to the output from your camera using Nikon's lossless compressed option. They should be nearly the same for a given image.

-- hide signature --

BartyL

Thanks, yes I was shooting uncompressed, lossless compressed will be very close to that size

I didn't expect DNG to be compressed. .

I got the answer now.

Thanks again

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Steve Bingham
Forum ProPosts: 20,957Gear list
Like?

. . . and when you convert to 16 bit tiff, they will be huge.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +21 more
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,958Gear list
Like?

bakhtyar kurdi wrote:

BartyLobethal wrote:

-- hide signature --

BartyL

Thanks, yes I was shooting uncompressed, lossless compressed will be very close to that size

I didn't expect DNG to be compressed. .

I got the answer now.

Thanks again

And if I were you I would switch your camera to use lossless compressed as well.  There is absolutely no reason for you to be saving images as uncompressed.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads