Couple of thoughts on the A6000 + Zeiss E 16-70

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
LBJ2
Contributing MemberPosts: 694
Like?
Couple of thoughts on the A6000 + Zeiss E 16-70
6 months ago

I just received the A6000 and Zeiss E 16-70 bundle yesterday. After a few hours with the camera, I think I am going to sell my Nex6.

The Camera

For me the A6000 is blazing fast. I've never used a DSLR before so coming from the Nex 6 and the A7r I am amazed at how quickly the A6000 operates. Sure I read all the reviews and comments about the super-fast autofocus system --but in person, Wow. Now I know what people mean when they say the A7r is slow.

The Lens

I really like the sleek look and feel of the Zeiss E 16-70 with the A6000, a great looking pair--I find the 16-70 FL ( APS-C crop factor 24-105) and OSS to be very useful making this a good walk-around solution. I am still experimenting with optical quality--but so far it appears I received a good copy.

One Nit

For me the A6000 eye cup is not comfortable and too shallow--tough to block out side light. I'll need to find a better solution since I tend to use the viewfinder almost all the time. On the other hand , I don't find myself missing the Nex6 2.3m dot EVF like I thought I might--the 1.4m dot on the A6000 is pretty good--doesn't feel down graded at all.

Good to know

FE 24-70 works well on the A6000 and Steady Shot is enabled. I need to do some more pixel peeping but I think I am seeing better corner performance with this lens and the A6000 sensor.

DT 55-300 with the Sony LAE 4 A adapter worked well with the A6000 too. The DT ( APS-C crop factor up to 450mm) is a front focus lens and can itself be slow at times but once the lens is parked the A6000's continuous shutter speed does not disappoint.

The Photos

A few practice shots.  I was so mesmerized by the A6000's supersonic continuous shutter speed and AF that I forgot to pay attention to my settings and as a result I left the SEL 55-210 shutter speed too slow for the FL and these two photo opportunities.  However if you don't scrutinize too much and close one eye while viewing, you may not notice how well OSS tried to cover up my mistake.  Same story with the second photo, but I thought the subject was so interesting you might overlook my technical misstep .

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ynos
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?
Re: Couple of thoughts on the A6000 + Zeiss E 16-70
In reply to LBJ2, 6 months ago

FE 24-70 works well on the A6000 and Steady Shot is enabled. I need to do some more pixel peeping but I think I am seeing better corner performance with this lens and the A6000 sensor.

Compared to A7R with FE24-70 or compared to A6000 with 16-70?

DT 55-300 with the Sony LAE 4 A adapter worked well with the A6000 too. The DT ( APS-C crop factor up to 450mm) is a front focus lens and can itself be slow at times but once the lens is parked the A6000's continuous shutter speed does not disappoint.

how do you find 2 AF systems compare to each other? I mean A6000's native AF and LA-EA2 AF (PDAF)?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
LBJ2
Like?
In reply to Ynos, 6 months ago

Ynos wrote:

Compared to A7R with FE24-70 or compared to A6000 with 16-70?

how do you find 2 AF systems compare to each other? I mean A6000's native AF and LA-EA2 AF (PDAF)?

Hello:  I think I see better corner performance at 24mm FL with the FE 24-70 on the A6000 APS-C sensor as opposed to the FE 24-70 at 24mm on the A7r FF sensor.

The LAE 4 A PDAF PDAF performs well ( I am using so far using with both the Tamron 90mm macro and the DT55-300 on my Emount cameras).  The A6000 for me is lightning fast!

RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786Gear list
Like?

Glad you like the A6000.  I think the first photo is good and the second is good until you get beyond 5x7".  You obviously live in FL or close and you should have plenty of opportunities to shoot.  You can setup 3 MR banks if that helps.  Shooting S priority with longer lenses is helpful just remember to use 1/500+ second.

I look forward to your future shots.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
aap292
Regular MemberPosts: 132
Like?

Pretty sure there's another eye cup with a larger rubber part that you can use with the a6000 if that's what you're after.

LBJ2
Like?
In reply to RonFrank, 6 months ago

RonFrank wrote:

Glad you like the A6000. I think the first photo is good and the second is good until you get beyond 5x7". You obviously live in FL or close and you should have plenty of opportunities to shoot. You can setup 3 MR banks if that helps. Shooting S priority with longer lenses is helpful just remember to use 1/500+ second.

I look forward to your future shots.

RonFrank, Thank you.  Admittedly I was so busy trying out the A6000's new supersonic AF system, I forgot to check one of the most important settings for this lens--the shutter speed! ((facepalm) thanks for going easy on me.

LBJ2
Like?
In reply to aap292, 6 months ago

aap292 wrote:

Pretty sure there's another eye cup with a larger rubber part that you can use with the a6000 if that's what you're after.

Hello: Yes. Thanks to le_alain's recent post on this topic I ordered the Nikon DK-19 eyecup from Amazon.com for my A7r--not sure if this will fit the A6000 but will certainly give it a try.

1prime
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?

LBJ2 wrote:

aap292 wrote:

Hello: Yes. Thanks to le_alain's recent post on this topic I ordered the Nikon DK-19 eyecup from Amazon.com for my A7r--not sure if this will fit the A6000 but will certainly give it a try.

Thank you LBJ2. Here's the site for le_alain's Nikon eyecups:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53609591

-- hide signature --

1prime

1prime
Contributing MemberPosts: 903Gear list
Like?
In reply to 1prime, 6 months ago

1prime wrote:

LBJ2 wrote:

aap292 wrote:

Thank you LBJ2. Here's the site for le_alain's Nikon eyecups:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53609591

-- hide signature --

1prime

Now looking more closely at the round fitting bewtween the A7r's body and the rubber cup, it looks in the pic below that it will be a questionable fit for the A6k. But it should be worth a try. Make a thread when you determine its success.

-- hide signature --

1prime

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads