Started 4 months ago | Questions
ngtszhodavid
Contributing MemberPosts: 631Gear list
Like?
Dynamic-Area AF vs Group Area AF
4 months ago

For D4S, under AF-C.

Is my understanding on the below correct:

(I read the manual but it wasn't that clear to me)

For Dynamic-Area AF (9/21/51 pts), basically I need to lock on the subject to focus FIRST at the center point, then in case the subject moves and leaves the corresponding other points would 'assist' in the focus accordingly (in reference to where the initial middle box focus is pointed at), so key is to get initial focus point right initially.

while

For Group Area AF, the 5 squares basically acts as potential focus points and once I press the shutter, the camera will then pick 1 of the focus squares as the only focus, hence increases likelihood of getting the 'initial' focus point right (though subsequently no 'assist focus points' like the above).

That's correct right?

(on a side note i read in the link below that for Group Area focus it tends to focuse on the closest object within the area defined by the 5 brackets in the focus group http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html ))

ngtszhodavid's gear list:ngtszhodavid's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D4s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jeminijoseph
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,786Gear list
Like?
I'm very curious about this too
In reply to ngtszhodavid, 4 months ago

Will wait for replies. I use D4 now. Want to know what I'll get with my next Nikon camera. (D4s or D5 or D400). If Nikon cannot compete with Canon's top models, I 'll switch with next upgrade.
--
Thanks
Jemini Joseph

http://wildbirdimages.com/favorites.aspx

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
lock
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,818
Like?
You can move the set of af points in dynamic mode.

So it is not always the center af sensor, but the 'primary sensor' is always the central one in any set.

Lock

ngtszhodavid
Contributing MemberPosts: 631Gear list
Like?
Re: You can move the set of af points in dynamic mode.
In reply to lock, 4 months ago

Right. I should be more clear. I mean center of the set which doesn't necessary be the  center of sensor

ock wrote:

So it is not always the center af sensor, but the 'primary sensor' is always the central one in any set.

Lock

ngtszhodavid's gear list:ngtszhodavid's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G
jjnik
Senior MemberPosts: 1,286Gear list
Like?
Re: Dynamic-Area AF vs Group Area AF

ngtszhodavid wrote:

For D4S, under AF-C.

Is my understanding on the below correct:

(I read the manual but it wasn't that clear to me)

For Dynamic-Area AF (9/21/51 pts), basically I need to lock on the subject to focus FIRST at the center point, then in case the subject moves and leaves the corresponding other points would 'assist' in the focus accordingly (in reference to where the initial middle box focus is pointed at), so key is to get initial focus point right initially.

while

For Group Area AF, the 5 squares basically acts as potential focus points and once I press the shutter, the camera will then pick 1 of the focus squares as the only focus, hence increases likelihood of getting the 'initial' focus point right (though subsequently no 'assist focus points' like the above).

That's correct right?

yes, that's correct!

(on a side note i read in the link below that for Group Area focus it tends to focuse on the closest object within the area defined by the 5 brackets in the focus group http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html ))

I've seen that is true in my use of the D4s as well.

jjnik's gear list:jjnik's gear list
Nikon D4s Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads