Wollongong Airshow and 600mm lens at crosswind limit

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Jabs767
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
Wollongong Airshow and 600mm lens at crosswind limit
7 months ago

Last weekend there was an airshow at Albion Park just south of Wollongong about 90km south of Sydney.

The show known as the 'Wings over Illawarra' gained a new name, 'Winds over Illawarra'.

The show was billed to feature a number of vintage aircraft including Spitfire, Mustang, C47, DHC-4 Caribou, Super Constellation, F/A-18 Hornet and a recently restored CAC Avon Sabre, one of only two in the world.

The day dawned with a forecast 35 knot crosswind on the only open runway consequently preventing most aircraft from getting airborne.

The Hornets arrived early in the morning and landed in the strong crosswind which I then discovered proved hand holding a 600mm lens and D4 an almost impossible task.  Even with the lens hood removed, it was still a hand full.  The 500mm on the other D4 was no better. The surprise packet for the day was the 80-400mm AF-S on the D800E which displayed amazing VR capability even down to 1/200 on the air ambulance helicopter that got airborne on a rescue mission during the show(?).

I have now discovered that the crosswind limit formula for shooting long lenses in windy conditions at airshows is 6000/lens focal length (mm) e.g.. 6000/600=10 knots!!!

Consequently many images were not framed well during the day and a lot of creative cropping was required in post production.  The extremely cold air and wind chill factor made for some reasonable sharp images with a complete absence of heat haze that usually frequents such shows.  Here are a few examples.

The only thing that was hot on the day!

At least the Hornet provided some entertainment on the day

The Avon Sabre provided some worries when it landed in the strong crosswind.

The wind didn't keep the birds on the ground though!

-- hide signature --
 Jabs767's gear list:Jabs767's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Duggo
Regular MemberPosts: 126Gear list
Like?
Re: Wollongong Airshow and 600mm lens at crosswind limit
In reply to Jabs767, 7 months ago

Hi,

Really like No# 4 & 7.  Couldn't get there myself this year, but is already in the calendar for next year.

Cheers,

Duggo's gear list:Duggo's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RichRMA
Contributing MemberPosts: 865Gear list
Like?

Amazingly clean detail at 100%!!

RichRMA's gear list:RichRMA's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Pentax K-01 Olympus OM-D E-M5
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,410Gear list
Like?
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Jabs767
Like?
In reply to Lance B, 7 months ago

Lance B wrote:

superb images, great detail!

Thanks Lance.

I was starting to have my doubts about my 600mm as far as sharpness but then I had mainly been using it at shows or events over the longer ranges when there was a bit of heat haze or shimmer which ruined the image when low to the ground. At Wollongong, not only was it windy; very windy, you could hardly stand up let alone hold a 5kg lens up, the air was cold and clear and the D4 AF worked a treat with such sharp images I hardly had to do any USM in post.

The 600mm was tack sharp even on images of the Sabre on the runway where even with only 16mp, I can read the warning decals on the fuselage.

The other surprising thing from the day was how well the VR worked even at 400mm on the 80-400 AF-S. The images were almost completely stable looking through the VF at 400m and consequently it was no problem getting great shots steady or panned even down to 1/200 at 400mm. The VR worked better than on the 500mm.

If it's not still raining in the morning, I'm off to shoot seaplanes at Rose Bay for the Centenary of the first mail and seaplane flight from Rose Bay.

-- hide signature --
Adobe Photoshop CS6
exRhodesian
Regular MemberPosts: 405
Like?

Shots well taken. Excellent detail.

Will be at Pretoria Airshow tomorrow using the 80-400mmG on the D800. Hope to capture details as clear as yours.

Thanks,

Adrian

Van Griff
Contributing MemberPosts: 676Gear list
Like?

J

Fabulous images . . . your gear worked great despite the heavy winds . . . thanks for sharing!

Best,

V G

Van Griff's gear list:Van Griff's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 +21 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Is the Hornet dump Kerosine/Fuel in this Photo ?

archrich
Senior MemberPosts: 1,081Gear list
Like?

Excellent work and I'm jealous!  Airshow season is still a couple of months away for me. Thanks for sharing.

Archie

archrich's gear list:archrich's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +10 more
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,410Gear list
Like?

Jabs767 wrote:

Lance B wrote:

superb images, great detail!

Thanks Lance.

I was starting to have my doubts about my 600mm as far as sharpness but then I had mainly been using it at shows or events over the longer ranges when there was a bit of heat haze or shimmer which ruined the image when low to the ground. At Wollongong, not only was it windy; very windy, you could hardly stand up let alone hold a 5kg lens up, the air was cold and clear and the D4 AF worked a treat with such sharp images I hardly had to do any USM in post.

The 600mm was tack sharp even on images of the Sabre on the runway where even with only 16mp, I can read the warning decals on the fuselage.

I was going to go to the show, but the wind put me off.

The other surprising thing from the day was how well the VR worked even at 400mm on the 80-400 AF-S. The images were almost completely stable looking through the VF at 400m and consequently it was no problem getting great shots steady or panned even down to 1/200 at 400mm. The VR worked better than on the 500mm.

The VR of the 80-400G is excellent.

If it's not still raining in the morning, I'm off to shoot seaplanes at Rose Bay for the Centenary of the first mail and seaplane flight from Rose Bay.

I wish I'd known of that earlier as I might have joined you. Maybe another time.

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Jabs767
Like?
In reply to Carsten Pauer 2, 7 months ago

Carsten Pauer 2 wrote:

Is the Hornet dump Kerosine/Fuel in this Photo ?

No!

Only what gets burnt through the afterburner on each engine.

The fuel dump masts on the Hornet are at the top of the tail fins.  Out of the three protrusions near the fin trailing edge tips, the fuel dump is the bottom one on each fin.

-- hide signature --
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads