D600 with 24-70 right focus issue

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
DavidChell
Forum MemberPosts: 60Gear list
Like?
D600 with 24-70 right focus issue
2 months ago

I took some portrait shots the other day and was disappointed at how soft they were, so I did some investigation, this revealed a soft focus issue when focusing using the far right focus point (see image).

Comparison of left, centre and right points.

Naturally I'll be contacting Nikon service (whom I've had fantastic response from with regard to the oil/dust issue).

I find it particularly annoying having the right focus point faulty, it means I'll have to focus/recompose all the time when shooting in portrait orientation.

Test shots were on a tripod with focus chart stuck to wall, using pan head to use alternate focus points.

ISO 400, 1/80th second, F 2.8.

Any comments regarding the validity of my tests etc are welcome.

DavidChell's gear list:DavidChell's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
carauction
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,549
Like?
Re: D600 with 24-70 right focus issue
In reply to DavidChell, 2 months ago

My D800 had the outer point focus issue, and I returned it. My old D3S I also tested very accurately and it was fine. I have always used outer focus points as it is very convenient instead of focus recompose.

My present D600, while I have not accurately tested for it, I feel is not nearly as precise as my center point is. But you know what, I really am not going to make an issue out of it. If I was a professional photographer, and it meant my livelihood, it would be a different story. But I make do with the center point, I am not going to officially test the outer points. The D600 has a great imager, and that will do it for me...at least for now!

So it is your call if you want to pursue the issue.

Mike

P.S. You should check along the same focal plane. If you are panning, make sure you move the camera back to the same exact subject that was under the other point.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 583Gear list
Like?

DavidChell wrote:

I took some portrait shots the other day and was disappointed at how soft they were, so I did some investigation, this revealed a soft focus issue when focusing using the far right focus point (see image).

Naturally I'll be contacting Nikon service (whom I've had fantastic response from with regard to the oil/dust issue).

I find it particularly annoying having the right focus point faulty, it means I'll have to focus/recompose all the time when shooting in portrait orientation.

Test shots were on a tripod with focus chart stuck to wall, using pan head to use alternate focus points.

Hi, you say you are rotating the camera on a panhead to move the focus points over the target, right? At f/2.8, 70mm your DOF is quite thin and you are placing the sensor at an angle to the (hopefully) flat chart. Not the best for a sharp image.

Besides, the left side is much softer than the other two,

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
nboyer
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,988Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens Issue?

Hello David.  If you are focusing, using the far right focus point, but the left side of your image is blurred but the right side is in focus, then this would suggest one of two things.  Either your sensor is tilted, unlikely but possible.  Or, you have de-centered or shifted optics, a more likely cause.  If you focus with the left focus point, is it as blurry on the left side?  My comments are based on the assumption that the sensor plane is perpendicular to the test chart.  Do you have another lens to test with?  Cheers.  -Norm

DavidChell wrote:

nboyer's gear list:nboyer's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon Coolpix A Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M8.2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
DavidChell
Like?

Thanks Norm, here's the same test with my 70-200 F4.

BTW the left and right shots are right and left focus points respectively.

Which leads me to believe that it's largely an issue with the 24-70.

I will be sending it in for repair since it's within the warranty period and I do alot of photographing of family events (mine and others).

Shame tho, it's my daughter's 21st coming up next weekend and I don't want to risk it not being returned in time so I'll have to wait until after that.

Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Tokina AT-X 16-28mm f/2.8 Pro FX Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,400
Like?

DavidChell wrote:

Thanks Norm, here's the same test with my 70-200 F4.

BTW the left and right shots are right and left focus points respectively.

Which leads me to believe that it's largely an issue with the 24-70.

I will be sending it in for repair since it's within the warranty period and I do alot of photographing of family events (mine and others).

Shame tho, it's my daughter's 21st coming up next weekend and I don't want to risk it not being returned in time so I'll have to wait until after that.

To properly compare the 24-70 to the 70-200 you need to shoot them both at the same aperture and same focal length.

Next you need to insure that the test target is parallel to the sensor. You can easily do this with a small mirror. Have someone hold the mirror against the target so the mirror is flat against the target. Move the camera so that the reflection of the center of the lens in the mirror lines up with the center focus point in the camera.

To use the right and left focus points, move the target along the wall, or use a large enough target (or multiple targets) to cover all focus points being tested.

Panning the tripod throws the test off because the camera is no longer square to the target.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Tord S Eriksson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,977Gear list
Like?
In reply to Robin Casady, 2 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

Next you need to insure that the test target is parallel to the sensor. You can easily do this with a small mirror. Have someone hold the mirror against the target so the mirror is flat against the target. Move the camera so that the reflection of the center of the lens in the mirror lines up with the center focus point in the camera.

That was a very neat trick! I'm going to use that next time I want to check my lenses! Excellent idea!

Thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --

tord (at) mindless (dot) com
Mostly Nikon V1, & D600, user

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Pentax K-x Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +22 more
clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092
Like?

Can you clarify something...

You say the right focus point was a problematic one, but in your example it is the left photo that is blurry. Are they reversed? Is it really the right focus points and you posted the photo using the right focus point on the left (and vise versa)? Or was it the left focus point that gave the blurry photo?

In your second example, it is the photo on the right that is a more blurry then the others. So either it is the same problematic focus point and the photos in the opposite order, or it's the opposite focus point that was problematic in this example...?

Also, regardless of whether you can improve your testing (which you can), you have to compare with Live View focus and/or manual focus, to be sure the lens is sharp in that area.

DavidChell
Like?
In reply to clarnibass, 2 months ago

In my test images, the right focus point was the left hand image and vice versa, Comparing with live view is a good idea, might try that.

clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,092
Like?

In that case, although it's possible there is an issue with the camera, the test doesn't show it. In the first example the right focus point resulted in the blurry photo and in the second example the left focus point was blurrier. The left focus point in the second example is just slightly blurrier than the center which can be simply from the lens not being as sharp there as it is in the center.

I would definitely test a few more times, more thoroughly and compare with LV and MF.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads