Small walk around bag for D800 + 50mm f1.8g

Started 4 months ago | Questions
SnappyS
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Small walk around bag for D800 + 50mm f1.8g
4 months ago

Hi,

Any recommendations on a very small lightweight bag but with sufficient padding to carry my D800 with 50m f1.8g lens for walking around the city for a day? The camera will be carried in the bag most of the time and only taken out while visiting various tourist sites. The smaller the better. Other than a spare EL15 battery, no other equipment will need to fit.

Thanks in advance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Photofunster
Senior MemberPosts: 1,548Gear list
Like?
Re: Small walk around bag for D800 + 50mm f1.8g
In reply to SnappyS, 4 months ago

You may get better response to this sort of question, in the Accessories Talk forum.

A Lowepro Toploader Pro AW 70 will hold it nicely...

http://www.lowepro.com/toploaderpro

Love all of my Lowepro gear...

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4 G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Vanguard ALTA PRO 263AT, GH-300T, SBH-250, SBH-100, PH-22,
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm
FE, NIKKOR 2-20mm f/1.8, OPTEX UV 52mm, Viivitar Zoom 285,
Kodacolor VR 1000 CF 135-24 EXP DX 35mm, rePLAY XD 1080P

Photofunster's gear list:Photofunster's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Chuck Lantz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,017Gear list
Like?

SnappyS wrote:

Hi,

Any recommendations on a very small lightweight bag but with sufficient padding to carry my D800 with 50m f1.8g lens for walking around the city for a day? The camera will be carried in the bag most of the time and only taken out while visiting various tourist sites. The smaller the better. Other than a spare EL15 battery, no other equipment will need to fit.

Thanks in advance.

Check the Case Logic bags, too.  They are not too expensive, high quality, and come in lots of sizes and shapes.  I have five of their bags, including their large and small SLR bags, and a sling bag. The large SLR bag will carry a D800 with a 300mm lens and a battery grip attached, plus batteries and a flash unit, with room to spare.  the outside bottom is semi-hard plastic, so setting it down on wet surfaces is not a problem.

One great feature is their camera suspension system, which holds the camera and lens suspended in the bag so that they aren't in contact with the bottom of the bag. If you drop the bag or set it down hard, there's an inch or two of space between the hard bottom and your gear.

-- hide signature --

"I'm hooked on The Look"
"If they're not screaming at you to get out of the way, you're not close enough" - I thought this was original, but it's very close to what someone else said. Oh, well.
... "Not to compete whole-heartedly, with a will to win, degrades the sport and insults the competition" - anonymous Olympic long-distance runner ...
"Mongo not know ... Mongo just pawn in game of life." - Mongo ... "Speed kills" - No, it doesn't. Speed has never killed anyone. It's the sudden stop that does it. - Me ... http://www.ChuckLantz.com ... Confessions from the middle of the pack: What I lacked in skill and courage I made up for in enthusiasm. As a result, I was enthusiastic beyond belief.

Chuck Lantz's gear list:Chuck Lantz's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D700 Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +16 more
Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 835Gear list
Like?

I used to take camera and lens to work in the little Tamrac Rally 4 bag.

Some good bags may be found at CamBags.com, here's the list of shoulderbags for 1 camera and one lens: http://www.cambags.com/by-bag-size/by-bag-size-shoulder-bags/by-size-shoulder-1-body-1-lens.html

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
SnappyS
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?

Thanks everyone.  I went with the Lowepro Nova Sport 7L AW.  Its a tad bit bigger than what I was looking for, but what sold me is that it includes a weather cover.  It also matches my Sport 200 AW backpack.

Photofunster
Like?
Lowepro, way to go...

Good choice, it will serve you well.

Ah yes, any Lowepro bag with that designated AW means that a weather cover is present.

Enjoy your awesome camera bag... I know you will!

Chas

-- hide signature --

D800, AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR, B+W Clear MRC 77mm, AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4 G ED VR, Sigma DG UV 77mm,
SB-910, WG-AS3, ME-1, Lexar Professional 600x 64GB SDXC UHS-I 90MB/s*, 400x 32GB SDHC UHS-l 60MB/s*
Lowepro S&F Deluxe Technical Belt and Harness~Pouch 60 AW 50 AW & 10, S&F Toploader 70 AW, LC 11x26cm

Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
ARB1
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,053Gear list
Like?
Re: Lowepro, way to go...
In reply to Photofunster, 4 months ago

I use a Billingham Digital Hadley bag which will fit a lens larger than a 50mm also.

-- hide signature --

Allen

ARB1's gear list:ARB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
igzy
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?

That is my most frequent body lens combination and I use Lowepro Topload Zoom TZ1, new bag code is AW 50 I think...

igzy's gear list:igzy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-A1
Chuck Lantz
Like?

SnappyS wrote:

Thanks everyone. I went with the Lowepro Nova Sport 7L AW. Its a tad bit bigger than what I was looking for, but what sold me is that it includes a weather cover. It also matches my Sport 200 AW backpack.

Very good choice.  Lowepro makes a great product, and their customer service is astounding.  I use one of their AW slingbags, which is perfect for carrying and quickly retrieving your cameras.

They may not like publicizing this story, but I'll tell it anyway.  After owning the Lowepro slingbag for a few months, one of the zippers jammed.  I called them about the warranty, and they not only sent me a new bag, but insisted that I keep the old bag, too, even though I was able to get the zipper to work - with a bit of a struggle.  Maybe I'm too easily impressed, but that amazed me.

-- hide signature --

"I'm hooked on The Look"
"If they're not screaming at you to get out of the way, you're not close enough" - I thought this was original, but it's very close to what someone else said. Oh, well.
... "Not to compete whole-heartedly, with a will to win, degrades the sport and insults the competition" - anonymous Olympic long-distance runner ...
"Mongo not know ... Mongo just pawn in game of life." - Mongo ... "Speed kills" - No, it doesn't. Speed has never killed anyone. It's the sudden stop that does it. - Me ... http://www.ChuckLantz.com ... Confessions from the middle of the pack: What I lacked in skill and courage I made up for in enthusiasm. As a result, I was enthusiastic beyond belief.

Photofunster
Like?
Zipper Repair
In reply to Chuck Lantz, 4 months ago

Try rubbing some paraffin wax on that sticky zipper and work it in. May help alleviate the stickiness.

Good for you, they solved the problem the easy way... Renew!

Chas

-- hide signature --

Chuck Lantz
Like?
Re: Zipper Repair
In reply to Photofunster, 4 months ago

Photofunster wrote:

Try rubbing some paraffin wax on that sticky zipper and work it in. May help alleviate the stickiness.

Good for you, they solved the problem the easy way... Renew!

Chas

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

"I'm hooked on The Look"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads