Still waiting on 23mm lens, should I change gears and get the 10-24

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
mjh04
Regular MemberPosts: 199Gear list
Like?
Still waiting on 23mm lens, should I change gears and get the 10-24
7 months ago

I ordered the XF 23mm from Amazon on the last day of the sale and am still waiting as it is backordered. Amazon's site says 1-2 months.  I am starting to get a little impatient, but I know if I cancel I will lose the $749 price.  I am starting to rethink this strategy and consider going with the 10-24 zoom.  If I want to carry a partial kit, I like going out with with the 18-55 and the 14 mm for wide shots with one lens on my X-T1 and the other on the X-E2.  I have really enjoyed the 14 mm lens so far.  It is probably my most used lens.  Once I have the 23, I am not sure if I would leave the 14 home and likely would end up carrying these three lenses all of the time.  This might negate any size and weight advantage of the primes.  I haven't seen the 10-24 in person, but am a little concerned about the size and weight of the lens.  I can read the specs, but until you have it in hand, it is sometimes hard to get a perspective as to how it would feel to carry it around all of the time.  I don't want to end up with a kit and have to carry almost as much as I did with the full frame camera.  I am also trying to place a value on the f/1.4 speed of the 23 mm lens.  I enjoy taking cityscapes at night and pictures around sunset, but those are often times I plan and use a tripod.  For any of you with the 23 mm, how useful do you find the 1.4 speed for the type of photos you typically take with a 35mm equivalent lens?

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

mjh04's gear list:mjh04's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
afragisk
Contributing MemberPosts: 881
Like?
Re: Still waiting on 23mm lens, should I change gears and get the 10-24
In reply to mjh04, 7 months ago

My 23 is THE indoor king - focal length and speed wise. Plus it does IR - a rather rare feature on Fuji lenses, see other threads. Also note existing tests on sharpness between 10-24 and 23. The long end of the zoom is probably its weakest point based on one test I saw.
--
Apollon
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apollonas/
http://500px.com/Apollon
Fuji XE-2, Canon FD 300 4L, Fuji 55-200, Fuji 56 1.2, Fuji 27 2.8, Fuji 23 1.4, Fuji 14 2.8, Rokinon II 8 2.8

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
mjh04
Like?
In reply to afragisk, 7 months ago

Thanks.  You addressed one issue which is whether I would use this indoors.  Up to now I have made good use of the 35 for taking individual shots, but it certainly isn't wide enough for some indoor shots. I have used the 14 mm for some indoor shots architectural type shots, but do find myself pushing the ISO at times.

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
OnCam
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?

Stick with the 23 since you got it at a good buy,

Wait for the 10-20 to settle in & perhaps the next rebates will see it at a good price?

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/oncam
@oncam31

OnCam's gear list:OnCam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50-230mm
Jim King
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,735Gear list
Like?

I'd consider getting the 10-24mm now and the 23mm when it becomes available at Amazon.  The wide angle coverage of the 10-24 will complement the 23mm perfectly. You can always sell the 10-24 if you find that you don't want/need it after the  arrives; in the mean time you have access to the wide end of Fuji photography.

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -4h (EDT)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Leica M9 Ricoh GXR S10 24-72mm F2.5-4.4 VC Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 +18 more
mjh04
Like?
In reply to OnCam, 7 months ago

OnCam wrote:

Stick with the 23 since you got it at a good buy,

Wait for the 10-20 to settle in & perhaps the next rebates will see it at a good price?

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/oncam
@oncam31

Good thought about waiting for a future promotion if I want the 10-24.  Given the sale price, I don't think I would get hurt if I do decide to go the other direction and it would give me a chance to settle in and see how much use I get out of the 23.  I have never been much of a prime shooter, but I really like the using the Fuji primes and their feel on the Fuji bodies.  I am hoping that I will like the 23 as much as the 14 and 35.

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

bs1946
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?

I just looked on B&H and along with the 23mm, the 27mm and the 35mm are on back order. That's Fuji's entire normal range of primes.

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon 1 V3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-100mm f/4.5-5.6 PD-Zoom +9 more
mjh04
Like?
In reply to Jim King, 7 months ago

Jim King wrote:

I'd consider getting the 10-24mm now and the 23mm when it becomes available at Amazon. The wide angle coverage of the 10-24 will complement the 23mm perfectly. You can always sell the 10-24 if you find that you don't want/need it after the arrives; in the mean time you have access to the wide end of Fuji photography.

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -4h (EDT)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

I could  do that.  If I keep buying lenses, before long I will have every lens that Fuji makes.  I just wish I had as much time to use all the gear I already have.  My day job keeps getting in the way of my photography.

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,062
Like?

How much do you plan to use the 10mm to 12mm range?   If the answer is not that much then I would stick with the 14 and 23 primes.    I'm struggling with the same decision but I'm starting to think that I'll either do without the 10mm to 12mm range or I will end up with all three lenses ....    I don't think I'm going to be able to part with the 14 or 23.

mjh04
Like?
In reply to Clayton1985, 7 months ago

Clayton1985 wrote:

How much do you plan to use the 10mm to 12mm range? If the answer is not that much then I would stick with the 14 and 23 primes. I'm struggling with the same decision but I'm starting to think that I'll either do without the 10mm to 12mm range or I will end up with all three lenses .... I don't think I'm going to be able to part with the 14 or 23.

I have struggled with that question.  In my full frame world, I made good use of the Canon 16-35 lens, often shooting at 16.  I don't know however if that was just because it was as wide as it would go rather than making a conscious decision that 16 was the best angle for the particular photo I was taking.  Thus far, on a couple of trips I have made this year, the 14 has really not left me feeling like I needed a lot more width to capture what I was photographing.  In some ways, I am struggling with whether I am going to be more of a prime shooter with the Fuji's or a zoom shooter.  Like I said previously, in the past I have been mostly a prime shooter, but the primes I have used with Fuji thus far are so good that I keep gravitating to them when I have the opportunity.  I am not sure I can see myself with all three.  I have gone back to Lightroom and looked at how many times I have used the 16-35 at the widest setting, but have not really drawn too many conclusions at this point.

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

co_photog
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?

Just be careful with amazon, I ordered the 35mm at the end of the sale 1 to 2 months backordered. Received mine a couple days ago and it was a return had no lens bag and the lens was out of the wrapper and dusty. Now I am waiting for an exchange another 1 to 2 months.

MrPhotoBob
Senior MemberPosts: 2,704
Like?

I purchased the 14 mm 2.8 and it was full of dust and a had a drop of oil right in the middle of the inside of the rear lens element.  I returned it and decided against that lens.  I also ordered the 27 mm 2.8 and it is almost two months on back order so I canceled that order and purchased the 10-24 mm f4 and I am really happy that I did.  The lens is really great and the images from it are sharp.  I just might wait and give the 56 1.2 a look later on.

mjh04
Like?

mjh04 wrote:

Clayton1985 wrote:

How much do you plan to use the 10mm to 12mm range? If the answer is not that much then I would stick with the 14 and 23 primes. I'm struggling with the same decision but I'm starting to think that I'll either do without the 10mm to 12mm range or I will end up with all three lenses .... I don't think I'm going to be able to part with the 14 or 23.

I have struggled with that question. In my full frame world, I made good use of the Canon 16-35 lens, often shooting at 16. I don't know however if that was just because it was as wide as it would go rather than making a conscious decision that 16 was the best angle for the particular photo I was taking. Thus far, on a couple of trips I have made this year, the 14 has really not left me feeling like I needed a lot more width to capture what I was photographing. In some ways, I am struggling with whether I am going to be more of a prime shooter with the Fuji's or a zoom shooter. Like I said previously, in the past I have been mostly a prime shooter, but the primes I have used with Fuji thus far are so good that I keep gravitating to them when I have the opportunity. I am not sure I can see myself with all three. I have gone back to Lightroom and looked at how many times I have used the 16-35 at the widest setting, but have not really drawn too many conclusions at this point.

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

Oops.  In the past I have been mostly a zoom shooter as I said previously.

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

ballwin12
Regular MemberPosts: 254Gear list
Like?

mjh04 wrote:

I ordered the XF 23mm from Amazon on the last day of the sale and am still waiting as it is backordered. Amazon's site says 1-2 months. I am starting to get a little impatient, but I know if I cancel I will lose the $749 price. I am starting to rethink this strategy and consider going with the 10-24 zoom. If I want to carry a partial kit, I like going out with with the 18-55 and the 14 mm for wide shots with one lens on my X-T1 and the other on the X-E2. I have really enjoyed the 14 mm lens so far. It is probably my most used lens. Once I have the 23, I am not sure if I would leave the 14 home and likely would end up carrying these three lenses all of the time. This might negate any size and weight advantage of the primes. I haven't seen the 10-24 in person, but am a little concerned about the size and weight of the lens. I can read the specs, but until you have it in hand, it is sometimes hard to get a perspective as to how it would feel to carry it around all of the time. I don't want to end up with a kit and have to carry almost as much as I did with the full frame camera. I am also trying to place a value on the f/1.4 speed of the 23 mm lens. I enjoy taking cityscapes at night and pictures around sunset, but those are often times I plan and use a tripod. For any of you with the 23 mm, how useful do you find the 1.4 speed for the type of photos you typically take with a 35mm equivalent lens?

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

I don't think you get much use of 10-24 as you do with 14. The 14 is great lens, faster 2.8, much smaller.

Also, 10-24 is f4 while 23 is 1.4

I'm having 14 and 23 and I think it's well worth the wait.

ballwin12's gear list:ballwin12's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
mjh04
Like?
In reply to ballwin12, 7 months ago

ballwin12 wrote:

mjh04 wrote:

I ordered the XF 23mm from Amazon on the last day of the sale and am still waiting as it is backordered. Amazon's site says 1-2 months. I am starting to get a little impatient, but I know if I cancel I will lose the $749 price. I am starting to rethink this strategy and consider going with the 10-24 zoom. If I want to carry a partial kit, I like going out with with the 18-55 and the 14 mm for wide shots with one lens on my X-T1 and the other on the X-E2. I have really enjoyed the 14 mm lens so far. It is probably my most used lens. Once I have the 23, I am not sure if I would leave the 14 home and likely would end up carrying these three lenses all of the time. This might negate any size and weight advantage of the primes. I haven't seen the 10-24 in person, but am a little concerned about the size and weight of the lens. I can read the specs, but until you have it in hand, it is sometimes hard to get a perspective as to how it would feel to carry it around all of the time. I don't want to end up with a kit and have to carry almost as much as I did with the full frame camera. I am also trying to place a value on the f/1.4 speed of the 23 mm lens. I enjoy taking cityscapes at night and pictures around sunset, but those are often times I plan and use a tripod. For any of you with the 23 mm, how useful do you find the 1.4 speed for the type of photos you typically take with a 35mm equivalent lens?

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

I don't think you get much use of 10-24 as you do with 14. The 14 is great lens, faster 2.8, much smaller.

Also, 10-24 is f4 while 23 is 1.4

I'm having 14 and 23 and I think it's well worth the wait.

That was certainly my original thinking, but I just started to question my original plan when this lens is taking so long.

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

Michael M.
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?

I know that the waiting takes quite a bit of patience. I ordered my 23mm in the beginning of April and received it just yesterday. I haven't had a chance to use it, but it looks high quality and I am pleased to have a wider FL for indoor use with the f/1.4 in comparison to the 35mm that I have been using. I think it is worth waiting if you can, since the price was significantly better than the normal price. Hang in there!

Michael M.'s gear list:Michael M.'s gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D2H Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +3 more
mjh04
Like?
In reply to Michael M., 7 months ago

Michael M. wrote:

I know that the waiting takes quite a bit of patience. I ordered my 23mm in the beginning of April and received it just yesterday. I haven't had a chance to use it, but it looks high quality and I am pleased to have a wider FL for indoor use with the f/1.4 in comparison to the 35mm that I have been using. I think it is worth waiting if you can, since the price was significantly better than the normal price. Hang in there!

Thanks.  All the discussion has been helpful. I will hang in there for a few more weeks and wait for the 23.

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,272Gear list
Like?

mjh04 wrote:

Thanks. All the discussion has been helpful. I will hang in there for a few more weeks and wait for the 23.

Since I am one of those who likes the focal length, I also think it's worth waiting for the 23mm prime.  If I had to keep the number of primes in the bag down, I would go 23 and 56.

As for the 10-24, it's going to be the next lens i buy --- when I get around to it.

It's an easy choice for me because I shoot wider than 18mm often enough to need it in my small kit so I can get buy with the larger 10-24 size; I don't own a 14; and I am curious about that rumored 16/1.4.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?

mjh04 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Mike Hedge
www.thehedgepost.com

Speed is always nice if you plan on shooting indoors. I find myself mostly needing focal lengths 50+ for indoor (on APS-C sensor) so for me the 10-24 would be the way to go.  I have the 35 and the 56, which are all I really need.  The kit could be used in a pinch wide open at 2.8.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
Dabbler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,468Gear list
Like?

Since you already have the 14 I would opt for the magnificent 23mm. I missed the sale because I bought the 35 at the end of the sale period. I read a comparison of the 14 to 10-14 and the 14 appeared visibly sharper.  I'm almost tempted to get the 23 at retail but nobody seems to have stock so I'll wait, maybe I'll get lucky with another sale this fall.

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads