T O Shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 1,860Gear list
Like?
Re: D4 or D800E for birds?
In reply to T O Shooter, 4 months ago

T O Shooter wrote:

jamesg28 wrote:

Lance B wrote:

You may very well be correct. I do think my D800E is better than my previous (1st generation) D800 but could still be better, after having tried the new D4s. Having said that, I would love my D800E to have the same AF as the new D4s and I'd happily pay a premium for it. In fact, I don't see why we can't opt to pay for performance upgrades like a modular system because apparently, the AF module is the same for all of them, just that they use different algorithms. I'd be happy yo ay for an algorithm upgrade.

-- hide signature --

Photography - It's a passion No other reason required.

You would think an algorithm change could be dealt with in a firmware update? Not that i am very up with it when it comes to such technical software things.

I have not read of this rumored D800S? How likely is it, and when was the rumor saying that it could be a possiblity? I am looking to purchase within the next 1-2 months. I could wait a little bit longer but if this rumor turns into one like the D400, I will certainly NOT wait

I made mention of D4S in the second reply in this thread. Google NikonRumors and D4S. 50% chance, D4S AF, 6 fps with grip. ++. Think it could replace all my bodies

-- hide signature --

From NikonRumors

D800S ( my next camera )

Here is the first set of rumored specifications for the Nikon D800s DSLR camera:

• No low pass (AA) filter (just like the D800E)
  • Improved software to suppress moiré
  • Expeed 4 imaging processor
  • sRAW
  • Same AF improvements like in the D4s
  • Improved low light capabilities
  • 5 fps (6fps with the MB-D12)
  • Price between D800 and D800E - probably around $3000
  • No firm announcement date yet - my guess is Photokina (September 2014) or CES (January 2015)

It is still too early to mark those rumored D800s specifications with anything above 50% probability. Hopefully I will receive some additional information in the upcoming weeks.

Read it on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2014/03/25/rumors-nikon-d800s-camera-preliminary-specifications.aspx/#ixzz31MyVsdnw

D300s replacement

A very significant news for everyone that is waiting for D300s replacement: Nikon is preparing to launch a new D9300 camera. This is all I got for now - just a model name. The body will most likely be DX and will obviously be placed above the D7xxx line (Nikon has probably decided to keep the Dxxx line for full frame cameras and Dxxxx for DX bodies). Why D9300 and not just D9000? I guess to match the version of the D3300 and D5300. This could well be the D400 many readers have been waiting for a long time. This is the first time I have heard something reliable on a high-end DX body.

Read it on NikonRumors.com: http://nikonrumors.com/2014/04/02/breaking-nikon-d9300-dslr-camera-on-the-horizon.aspx/#ixzz31Myn7ql7

-- hide signature --

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
jamesg28
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
In reply to T O Shooter, 4 months ago

I like the sound of the specs however 50% probability is a little vague. We can always wait for the next great body though can't we? I dunno. I will give it a month or two and if there is no word I will pull the trigger on a D800e I think

VertigonA380
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?
In reply to Brandon birder, 4 months ago

Brandon birder wrote:

Nice image. You are right the V3 frame rate puts even a D4s in the shade. Just received my V3 today and hopeful it can add something to the birders bag.

Nice to come across someone who has enough brain activity to know a good birding camera when they read the specs. I will be interested to see how the new CX 70-300 will perform, can you imagine that sort of range + portability? Otherwise hopefully the new 300 F4 will be a step up in clarity. Good luck with your new camera and I saw your flickr page, the bat shot at night was pretty cool.

Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,423
Like?
In reply to VertigonA380, 4 months ago

VertigonA380 wrote:

Brandon birder wrote:

Nice image. You are right the V3 frame rate puts even a D4s in the shade. Just received my V3 today and hopeful it can add something to the birders bag.

Nice to come across someone who has enough brain activity to know a good birding camera when they read the specs. I will be interested to see how the new CX 70-300 will perform, can you imagine that sort of range + portability? Otherwise hopefully the new 300 F4 will be a step up in clarity. Good luck with your new camera and I saw your flickr page, the bat shot at night was pretty cool.

Yes the acid test will be the new CX 70-300vr lens. With a V3 if as sharp or more likely sharper than the 30-110 it will be an amazing lightweight birding combo with potential to do things even a D4s can't do.  I am testing it out this week with the 300f4 and 80-400vrafsG lens. Should be interesting.

Thanks for your kind comment on the bats.

A Owens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,169
Like?

Brandon birder wrote:

VertigonA380 wrote:

Brandon birder wrote:

Yes the acid test will be the new CX 70-300vr lens. With a V3 if as sharp or more likely sharper than the 30-110 it will be an amazing lightweight birding combo with potential to do things even a D4s can't do. I am testing it out this week with the 300f4 and 80-400vrafsG lens. Should be interesting.

Sorry for butting in gentlemen but I am interested in the AF performance of the V2 or 3 with the F mount lenses such as the 300/F4. Is it compromised or is it as good as a CX lens? How does the ISO of the V2/3 compare with the 7100? Presumably a stop or so worse? Thanks!

VertigonA380
Senior MemberPosts: 1,133
Like?

Well I will be looking out for them in the N1 forums and it will be interesting to see the differences between the lenses.

FrankCorn
Regular MemberPosts: 195
Like?
In reply to JohnDE, 4 months ago

JohnDE wrote:

I don't know if you will find the D4 a huge improvement over your D7100...

Is the D4 really close to the D7100?

Brandon birder
Senior MemberPosts: 2,423
Like?
In reply to A Owens, 4 months ago

A Owens wrote:

Brandon birder wrote:

VertigonA380 wrote:

Brandon birder wrote:

Yes the acid test will be the new CX 70-300vr lens. With a V3 if as sharp or more likely sharper than the 30-110 it will be an amazing lightweight birding combo with potential to do things even a D4s can't do. I am testing it out this week with the 300f4 and 80-400vrafsG lens. Should be interesting.

Sorry for butting in gentlemen but I am interested in the AF performance of the V2 or 3 with the F mount lenses such as the 300/F4. Is it compromised or is it as good as a CX lens? How does the ISO of the V2/3 compare with the 7100? Presumably a stop or so worse? Thanks!

Too early to tell as I only got it this week. I will report on the N1 forum as I get used to using the V3 for birding. I will also add V3 images to my FlickR gallery below.I can say this though. The AF with the Ft1 is no different to the V1 with AFC available at the centre point only. It focuses fast and if the lens has a limiter like the 300f4 without fuss. It is even faster with the 80-400afsG vr. The new CX 70-300 will be the big game changer if it is as sharp as early mtf charts suggest. The iso is a stop better than the V1 as far as I can tell so far. That's a big difference especially and maybe in part because of the higher resolution.

A Owens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,169
Like?

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a very interesting backup proposition. I am still vacillating over the 7100 for that purpose so will include the V3 as an option.

Thanks again,

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads