FE 55mm 1.8 owners: Do you still use the kit lens?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
EvilKarma
Regular MemberPosts: 297Gear list
Like?
FE 55mm 1.8 owners: Do you still use the kit lens?
4 months ago

I finally got my stuff shipped in today. Took less than 10-20 shots with the 55 just to test and wow I am mighty impressed. Some of these shots make me think why on earth would I still use this kit lens unless I really really needed a wider angle shot, and mainly because I have no other short focal length lenses at the moment...

EvilKarma's gear list:EvilKarma's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
J Yohan
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?
Trying to.
In reply to EvilKarma, 4 months ago

I bought the A7 body only. 55mm is a pure gem. No doubt about it.

But I started to think about traveling. I like to travel with one lens if possible. And when I had a 5N, I traveled with only the 24mm and was happy. 55mm would be a little tight, I think.

So I bought a used kit zoom and I'm trying to use it prior to traveling in late August. But I find myself reaching for the 55mm.

I haven't been a zoom user, period. In any system. but I think it could be a versatile travel lens. will keep trying.

J Yohan's gear list:J Yohan's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2/50 ZM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MJFinelli
Regular MemberPosts: 170Gear list
Like?
Re: Trying to.
In reply to J Yohan, 4 months ago

I own the FE 35mm, 55mm and 24-70. I found myself always using the 35 and 24-70.

Never really used the 55 so I just sold it to help fund the 70-200 f4.

Seems like everyone loves the 55 hope I did not make a mistake in selling it..

MJFinelli's gear list:MJFinelli's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
EvilKarma
Like?

J Yohan wrote:

I bought the A7 body only. 55mm is a pure gem. No doubt about it.

But I started to think about traveling. I like to travel with one lens if possible. And when I had a 5N, I traveled with only the 24mm and was happy. 55mm would be a little tight, I think.

So I bought a used kit zoom and I'm trying to use it prior to traveling in late August. But I find myself reaching for the 55mm.

I haven't been a zoom user, period. In any system. but I think it could be a versatile travel lens. will keep trying.

I'm a zoom user but this lens is going to make me think twice about attaching the kit. But not like I have many choices for lens so it'll stay put for now.

MJFinelli wrote:

I own the FE 35mm, 55mm and 24-70. I found myself always using the 35 and 24-70.

Why didn't you like the 55?

nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,850Gear list
Like?
In reply to MJFinelli, 4 months ago

MJFinelli wrote:

its a great lens but like you I prefer the 35mm range for walkaround. FE35 is great and has good colours too.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
AlGor
Contributing MemberPosts: 755Gear list
Like?
Re: FE 55mm 1.8 owners: Do you still use the kit lens?

EvilKarma wrote:

I finally got my stuff shipped in today. Took less than 10-20 shots with the 55 just to test and wow I am mighty impressed. Some of these shots make me think why on earth would I still use this kit lens unless I really really needed a wider angle shot, and mainly because I have no other short focal length lenses at the moment...

So were yours impressed pics? Impress us too!

Al.

AlGor's gear list:AlGor's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6000 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +1 more
AlGor
Contributing MemberPosts: 755Gear list
Like?

J Yohan wrote:

I bought the A7 body only. 55mm is a pure gem. No doubt about it.

Did you try ever RX10?  Will be surprise... For travel - first.

AlGor's gear list:AlGor's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony a6000 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +1 more
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,405Gear list
Like?

I alternate between the kit lens and 55mm on short walks with my daughter.  Since we basically go the exact same route, it's nice to mix it up so you get different angles each time (and there is no time at all to have the luxury of changing a lens with a 2-year-old in tow!)

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
John Gellings
Regular MemberPosts: 438
Like?
In reply to AlGor, 4 months ago

Never bought the kit lens...

MJFinelli
Regular MemberPosts: 170Gear list
Like?

I really like the 55 but I found it not wide enough. I find it easier to shoot with the 35mm. I also like the lens size of the 35mm.

MJFinelli's gear list:MJFinelli's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
Wang Hung
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
In reply to MJFinelli, 4 months ago

I purchased the A7r and the 55mm as my only lens and have been using it to take some photos for fun. I like it alot. It's just so well built.

Wang Hung's gear list:Wang Hung's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 55mm F1.8
juvx
Contributing MemberPosts: 656Gear list
Like?
DXO rev

I use the kit lens a lot. probably have over 4k shots on it already. It was just dxo reviewed and just as i thought it scored almost as good as the 24-70.... at 1/4 the price (on ebay).

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sony-FE-28-70mm-F3.5-5.6-OSS-Serious-contender-to-the-Zeiss

I honestly think whoever didn't get it made a mistake. I really wanted the 24-70 but the more i used the kit lens the more i couldn't justify 1200$.

I do love my 35mm and i had the 55mm but sold it. Although i loved the sharpness of the 55, i just prefer the 35mm Focal length. 55 was Not long enough for portraits for my taste and not wide enough for landscapes.

juvx's gear list:juvx's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,344
Like?

EvilKarma wrote:

I think that only taking shots at a 55mm focal length because the lens is sharper is missing the real point of photography.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,319Gear list
Like?
In reply to sigala1, 4 months ago

sigala1 wrote:

EvilKarma wrote:

I think that only taking shots at a 55mm focal length because the lens is sharper is missing the real point of photography.

Can you tell me the real point of photography (and where did EvilKarma mention sharpness in his post)?

-- hide signature --
 sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,344
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, 4 months ago

sean lancaster wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

EvilKarma wrote:

Can you tell me the real point of photography (and where did EvilKarma mention sharpness in his post)?

-- hide signature --

I searched Google for the point of photography:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+point+of+photography

And found a blog post:

http://activesole.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-point-of-photograph-part-i.html

And quoting the author of the blog post:

One of the first things we notice in an image is the presence of any flaws in the technical process of capturing the image. But getting distracted with technique in shooting or editing may challenge your ability to focus on a more compelling opportunity: the opportunity you have to present something specific in an intentional context which affect your viewers in some way. Perhaps you want to teach or convey a message, perhaps you want to entertain or inspire, or perhaps you simply intend to document and illustrate the subject in its surroundings. You may want to shy away from the added responsibility of being accountable for any such intent, or think that your photos are "just for yourself," but if you're reading about photography (as you are now), if you're posting photos online, if you like to get positive feedback on your images, don't cheat yourself; admit that you want your photos to elicit some reaction, and your chances of achieving that goal are far greater if you admit and embrace that intent up front.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,319Gear list
Like?
In reply to sigala1, 4 months ago

sigala1 wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

sigala1 wrote:

EvilKarma wrote:

-- hide signature --

I searched Google for the point of photography:

https://www.google.com/search?q=the+point+of+photography

And found a blog post:

http://activesole.blogspot.com/2011/03/what-point-of-photograph-part-i.html

And quoting the author of the blog post:

One of the first things we notice in an image is the presence of any flaws in the technical process of capturing the image. But getting distracted with technique in shooting or editing may challenge your ability to focus on a more compelling opportunity: the opportunity you have to present something specific in an intentional context which affect your viewers in some way. Perhaps you want to teach or convey a message, perhaps you want to entertain or inspire, or perhaps you simply intend to document and illustrate the subject in its surroundings. You may want to shy away from the added responsibility of being accountable for any such intent, or think that your photos are "just for yourself," but if you're reading about photography (as you are now), if you're posting photos online, if you like to get positive feedback on your images, don't cheat yourself; admit that you want your photos to elicit some reaction, and your chances of achieving that goal are far greater if you admit and embrace that intent up front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

But seriously, I don't agree with the premise or conclusion. Many people who join these forums are people trying to learn more about photography. Shooting with a single focal length is a terrific strategy for many photographers to get better. They're removing the variable of focal length that can be present when using a zoom and that leaves the head free to focus on other aspects of photography. Perhaps the point is to learn to get better. The point of photography is not something that is generalizable to all photographers.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
lowincash
Contributing MemberPosts: 711
Like?

I bought the A7 with kit lens. Thought I keep the kit lens in case I need AF or when I'm traveling. I mostly use MF lenses like the CV40 f1.4 lens and MD 50 f1.4. After getting the 55, I haven't used the MF lenses much and have since sold the CV40. Kit lens' been sitting on my table ever since so ended up selling that too. I think I've only used the kit lens a few times. The 55 is my favorite lens, it's always on my camera lol

-- hide signature --

A7, 28-70 kit, 55f18

EvilKarma
Like?

Well I'm going down to the harbour today after work with my kit lens and 55. Wonder which I'll use more...
--
https://www.flickr.com/photos/isaacyuphotography/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads