Anyone else try an a6000 but stayed with their NEX-6/7?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
JYPfoto
Regular MemberPosts: 315Gear list
Like?
Anyone else try an a6000 but stayed with their NEX-6/7?
4 months ago

I know it's really early to ask this since some people just got theirs or didn't yet, but anyone either get theirs or try the a6000 in the store and stayed with their 6/7?

I shot the NEX6 for roughly 6 months and the 7 for about 3 months back in late 2012/early 2013.  I have very fond memories of them both.  Ergonomically speaking, I think the 7 was one of the best cameras I held, both in terms of the dials, but also the grip.  It's been quite some time though since I had them in hand and quite a number of cameras ago.

Fast forward to today, got home with my shiny new a6000 and 16-70 kit.  The sun was set and didn't get to shoot outdoors or set anything up in the menu.  But for some reason the a6000 just feels... Different.  I don't know if it's the size, the dials, or what.  But I don't have the same feel with it as I did the 7 or even the 6.  I don't know if it feels cheaper or if Im remembering the 7 totally different from is the actual truth.  Maybe it's that the 7 was such a revolutionary camera for it's time that I think of it being better than it actually was.  It's still only the first day but my initial reaction was so underwhelming that I priced out some used 7's.  I know that AF wise there's no contest and I know that the a6000 is probably cleaner at even mid ISO's but if this initial reaction continues I may just get another 7 and see if a true 7 successor with similar ergonomics to the original comes out at Photokina or later.

Anyone else feel the same?

JYPfoto's gear list:JYPfoto's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alvie
Regular MemberPosts: 198
Like?
Re: Anyone else try an a6000 but stayed with their NEX-6/7?
In reply to JYPfoto, 4 months ago

I know what you mean, I just got mine today too.  It did feel different from my NEX-7 but I guess that's to be expected.  I think that its a good camera.  I bought it as a backup for my NEX-7.  I guess shooting for a week or two it will feel more comfortable.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
DezM
Forum ProPosts: 33,810
Like?
No

No, the a6000 feels and operates just fine.

Learn the camera, set it up and use it. Than decide whether it's the camera for you or not.

-- hide signature --
photohanked
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
In reply to alvie, 4 months ago

I sold my 6 cause of the screen blackout problem and it happened with two bodies i had and the 7 for me was slower to focus and just something about it I didn't like so sold that also. along comes a6000 and really it doesn't feel cheap or uncomfortable to me I like the way it handles. It focuses faster and for me it's an upgrade over the other two. Build quality is there i mean we'er not using these cameras in the jungle so It's not and issue. It's a portable camera capable of producing some quality images and that's a good thing and fun along the way. IMO

jack scholl
Senior MemberPosts: 2,995Gear list
Like?
Not quite . . .

We had 2 7's.  One was sold as the A6000 arrived.  After using the A6000 for a couple weeks another one is on the way and the 2nd 7 is on eBay currently.

Jack

jack scholl's gear list:jack scholl's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon 1 V3 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +4 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,056Gear list
Like?

JYPfoto wrote:

I know it's really early to ask this since some people just got theirs or didn't yet, but anyone either get theirs or try the a6000 in the store and stayed with their 6/7?

I shot the NEX6 for roughly 6 months and the 7 for about 3 months back in late 2012/early 2013. I have very fond memories of them both. Ergonomically speaking, I think the 7 was one of the best cameras I held, both in terms of the dials, but also the grip. It's been quite some time though since I had them in hand and quite a number of cameras ago.

Fast forward to today, got home with my shiny new a6000 and 16-70 kit. The sun was set and didn't get to shoot outdoors or set anything up in the menu. But for some reason the a6000 just feels... Different. I don't know if it's the size, the dials, or what. But I don't have the same feel with it as I did the 7 or even the 6. I don't know if it feels cheaper or if Im remembering the 7 totally different from is the actual truth. Maybe it's that the 7 was such a revolutionary camera for it's time that I think of it being better than it actually was. It's still only the first day but my initial reaction was so underwhelming that I priced out some used 7's. I know that AF wise there's no contest and I know that the a6000 is probably cleaner at even mid ISO's but if this initial reaction continues I may just get another 7 and see if a true 7 successor with similar ergonomics to the original comes out at Photokina or later.

Well, if you hold the Nex-6, Nex-7 and A6000 next to one another, the A6000 feels lightest.

It also feels 'simpler', if that word makes any sense, in terms of button feel and grip.

But the lower-res EVF actually works better, low light white-balance seems better, UI is improved, AF is faster (with native E lenses), 24Mp is an upgrade over the Nex-6, handling WA lenses without purple cast is an improvement.

For quality, the Nex-7 still stands alone. All metal body (ie. no Wifi), feel and handling is superb.

The A6000 feels cheaply made, next to a Nex-7, but the other features certainly make up for it.

But an A7000 for just a 'more expensive feel' won't cut it - it needs another 'must have' feature to justify its higher price point.

Even so, an A6000 or A7000 won't break the ISO barrier - the A7/r/s still easily outperform them.

I did some indoor side-by-sides (A6000+E24Z at f2 versus A7+FE32 at f2.8) and the A7 easily wins.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
JYPfoto
Regular MemberPosts: 315Gear list
Like?
In reply to blue_skies, 4 months ago

It may be because I'm holding it compared to one of the larger mirrorless bodies in the GH4, but it feels a little light and hollow to me. I remember one handed shooting with the 6 and 7 for hours without any issues.

Ill give it another shot tomorrow,,hopefully I'll get home from work earlier to be able to give it some work outdoors.

I agree, an a7000 will have to have a lot of improvements, but ergonomically, the 7 just felt great.  While wifi is nice in theory, I never really used it on any of the cameras that I've had, I would rather transfer, upload pictures the old fashioned way on the computer.

JYPfoto's gear list:JYPfoto's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,995Gear list
Like?

blue_skies wrote:

Even so, an A6000 or A7000 won't break the ISO barrier - the A7/r/s still easily outperform them.

I did some indoor side-by-sides (A6000+E24Z at f2 versus A7+FE32 at f2.8) and the A7 easily wins.

In what way?  Noise in the image?  You'd think they'd be close, at f2 and f2.8.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 7,056Gear list
Like?
In reply to GaryW, 4 months ago

GaryW wrote:

blue_skies wrote:

In what way? Noise in the image? You'd think they'd be close, at f2 and f2.8.

Agreed, I expected them to be closer, and I was comparing in-camera rendering, not PP from RAW (they will be closer).

What I noticed is distinctly more details and clarity on lettering (books on coffee table), smaller details, with the A7 than with the A6000.

At low ISO, the A7 and the Nex-7 run neck-on-neck, the results are quite similar.

I will do some more comparisons as time permits, this was just an early observation.

It was pointed out that the A6000 underexposes (to protect highlights?) more than the A7 - maybe that is what could explain it.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
pixelpushing
Senior MemberPosts: 1,322Gear list
Like?
I think this is your problem:

JYPfoto wrote:

It's still only the first day but my initial reaction was so underwhelming...

Call me crazy, but less than a day doesn't seem like much time to get a good feel for what a camera can do, or how well it handles.

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samsung Galaxy S4
pixelpushing
Senior MemberPosts: 1,322Gear list
Like?

blue_skies wrote:

Well, if you hold the Nex-6, Nex-7 and A6000 next to one another, the A6000 feels lightest.

The A6000 weighs 1g more than a N6.

It also feels 'simpler', if that word makes any sense, in terms of button feel and grip.

I don't get that vs. the N6, but yes vs. the N7.

But the lower-res EVF actually works better, low light white-balance seems better, UI is improved, AF is faster (with native E lenses), 24Mp is an upgrade over the Nex-6, handling WA lenses without purple cast is an improvement.

Yes, agreed.

For quality, the Nex-7 still stands alone. All metal body (ie. no Wifi), feel and handling is superb.

I don't think metal automatically = better quality or handling, but the N7 was pretty well put together.

The A6000 feels cheaply made, next to a Nex-7, but the other features certainly make up for it.

But an A7000 for just a 'more expensive feel' won't cut it - it needs another 'must have' feature to justify its higher price point.

You think? A7 is a FF that costs $1050 more (body) vs. A6000. Does the A7 also outperform w/ AF, accuracy, lens selection, zoom reach?

Each tool has its place. NEX-6 is obviously comparable to the A6000, but throwing the A7 in there doesn't make sense to me.

I did some indoor side-by-sides (A6000+E24Z at f2 versus A7+FE32 at f2.8) and the A7 easily wins

Of course... Did anyone expect different?

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samsung Galaxy S4
David Wyman
Regular MemberPosts: 249Gear list
Like?

You've had your new camera for less than a day, you've made no photos, you can't exactly remember what your older cameras were like = you think you might send the camera back? I think you need, so to speak, a longer exposure with the camera.

I like new, high tech toys, and that's the A6000. It's sitting next to my NEX-7 and I have to say it looks about the same, and it feels about the same. No Tri-Nav, no level on the new camera. Otherwise, it's way better in many ways.

If and when an A7000 shows up - I think it will - I'll be in line for one as fast as possible. I'm certainly keeping the one I have. Meanwhile, my friends and I find the A6000 is too much fun not to have and use.

My friends submit to a portrait session - A6000, of course, teamed with the 10-18mm lens.

David Wyman's gear list:David Wyman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D300 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D600 +2 more
Dawson53
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?

I tried A6000 and I decided to stay with NEX-6 and NEX-5N, but not the same reason as you feel.

I really love the design of A6000 and the new AF-C is revolutionary amazing. The new custom key and the UI are big improvement I presume.

However, since I have begun to use the old lenses, AF is not a big option for me. If I used only E-mount lenses, I am sure I will sell my NEX-6 and upgrade to A6000. Maybe, If there was a camera which has A6000 body with the touch panel(b/c touch panel is really useful when you use MF lens), I am sure I will get that. I just chose the different path of the fun.

Euell
Senior MemberPosts: 1,006Gear list
Like?

Thought Sony was onto something when I acquired the original NEX 5, but missed a viewfinder. The NEX 6 came along and I really liked that better than the NEX 5. Never had a NEX 7, so don't miss it's good points, whatever they were.  The A6000 improves significantly on the NEX 6 and apparently the NEX 7 as well with respect to performance and IQ.  So, now keep the NEX 6 as a backup to the A6000.

Euell's gear list:Euell's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM +15 more
captura
Forum ProPosts: 14,068Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dawson53, 4 months ago

Dawson53 wrote:

I tried A6000 and I decided to stay with NEX-6 and NEX-5N, but not the same reason as you feel.

I really love the design of A6000 and the new AF-C is revolutionary amazing. The new custom key and the UI are big improvement I presume.

However, since I have begun to use the old lenses, AF is not a big option for me. If I used only E-mount lenses, I am sure I will sell my NEX-6 and upgrade to A6000. Maybe, If there was a camera which has A6000 body with the touch panel(b/c touch panel is really useful when you use MF lens), I am sure I will get that. I just chose the different path of the fun.

Not different at all. Not everyone needs to have the latest, fastestm flashiest, etc. But the marketeers, all the way from paid lowly fanboys to camera-toting corporate executives and salespeople are exorting us with constant messages to Buy, Buy, Buy!!!  Who can resist that?

I know a guy who used to be a video pro. He uses one camera only, on a daily basis, and it's the same one he has used for 5 years. A Panasonic LX-3. But he does not appear on these forums and so he does not get ridiculed. He too, has chosen the different path.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Dirk W
Senior MemberPosts: 1,535Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dawson53, 4 months ago

I think all of the NEXes are excellent cameras, and I have a couple of them. I always felt that the slow AF was the downside so I am super happy and excited about the A6000. It will take some time to get used to the new menu and button system but it always does, and works out after a while.

Dirk W's gear list:Dirk W's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +13 more
Dawson53
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
In reply to captura, 4 months ago

I was like why you are replying me then I noticed that I had accidentally mentioned you first lol sry

Dirk W
Like?
In reply to captura, 4 months ago

Not different at all. Not everyone needs to have the latest, fastestm flashiest, etc. But the marketeers, all the way from paid lowly fanboys to camera-toting corporate executives and salespeople are exorting us with constant messages to Buy, Buy, Buy!!! Who can resist that?

I bought the A6000 but don't see myself as a victim of marketing. My decision was purely based upon technical facts: the A6000 is much much better for me, due to the vastly improved AF system. And the 24MP (without color cast) are nice to have, too, because I often crop my pictures heavily.

Having said that, the NEX6/NEX7 are still fantastic cameras and I totally understand anyone who decides staying with them.

Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-3N A3000 +13 more
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,353
Like?

JYPfoto wrote:

I shot the NEX6 for roughly 6 months and the 7 for about 3 months back in late 2012/early 2013. I have very fond memories of them both. Ergonomically speaking, I think the 7 was one of the best cameras I held, both in terms of the dials, but also the grip. It's been quite some time though since I had them in hand and quite a number of cameras ago.

So in just over a year you had both the Nex6&7 and quite a number of cameras? May I ask why? I find it strange when people buy that amiund of cameras in a short time...
Didn't you like the IQ? Did a newer better camera came out?

Fast forward to today, got home with my shiny new a6000 and 16-70 kit. The sun was set and didn't get to shoot outdoors or set anything up in the menu. But for some reason the a6000 just feels... Different. I don't know if it's the size, the dials, or what. But I don't have the same feel with it as I did the 7 or even the 6. I don't know if it feels cheaper or if Im remembering the 7 totally different from is the actual truth. Maybe it's that the 7 was such a revolutionary camera for it's time that I think of it being better than it actually was. It's still only the first day but my initial reaction was so underwhelming that I priced out some used 7's. I know that AF wise there's no contest and I know that the a6000 is probably cleaner at even mid ISO's but if this initial reaction continues I may just get another 7 and see if a true 7 successor with similar ergonomics to the original comes out at Photokina or later.

But you sold the old Nex7 so why do you think you will be happy with it now? It still is the same camera you sold way back?
Ny advice to you is:buy a camera you realy like, stay for it for a couple of years, take great pictures with it and then start looking for a new one if you think you realy need it. Then you save a lot of money, you learn to use your camera and your pictures will get better as you don't have to think how the camera opperates...

No! I still use my original Nex 5, it still takes great pictures for me, it still working fine. As soon as I can try a A6000 I can tell if I want it (I like a build in EVF, and the more functions (like lens correction) in the A6000 and the smaller size of the kit lens too. Build quality is not that important to me as a camera will not kast for decades anymore.

Dirk W
Like?
In reply to nevercat, 4 months ago

So in just over a year you had both the Nex6&7 and quite a number of cameras? May I ask why? I find it strange when people buy that amiund of cameras in a short time...
Didn't you like the IQ? Did a newer better camera came out?

People are different; each as he/she likes it. I also rather frequently buy and sell cameras, because it is fun to try them and also fun to play with the newest gadgets and hunt for better camera technology. I have saved save some money for that hobby and anyway I don't lose much due to today's excellent second hand market possibilities, so why not.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads