no Quattro sample images Locked

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,312Gear list
no Quattro sample images
2 months ago

I think Sigma has a problem!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

 Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
JohnLindroth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,284
Re: no Quattro sample images
In reply to Tom Schum, 2 months ago

Tom Schum wrote:

I think Sigma has a problem!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom,

This is the way they work. Sigma will release photos, and cameras, when they are ready. Relax and take pictures...that has been my approach.

Trust me, I've been looking every day as well.

John

-- hide signature --

http://gallery.johnlindroth.com/
john@johnlindroth.com
My future starts when I wake up every morning ...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
--Miles Davis

Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,312Gear list
Re: no Quattro sample images
In reply to JohnLindroth, 2 months ago

I have seen only one, and it does not seem to be from Sigma.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

 Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
intruder61
Senior MemberPosts: 2,571Gear list
Re: no Quattro sample images
In reply to Tom Schum, 2 months ago

i think the DPM images are still interesting to look at

SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,992Gear list
Re: no Quattro sample images
In reply to Tom Schum, 2 months ago

Tom Schum wrote:

I think Sigma has a problem!

Of course they do, Tom. All new technology releases have problems but I can't think of one reason why Sigma should have more issues than anyone else -- and if they do the release date will be pushed back somewhat. So what? I can wait.

I have every confidence the wait will be worth it. However, I too, would really love to see some Quattro images.

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
richard stone
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529
Re: Sigma's problem:
In reply to Tom Schum, 2 months ago

Yes, two problems: (1) probably not enough cameras produced to keep up with expected demand. And (2) resolution of in-camera processing and SPP modifications to work best with quattro sensor.

Let's imagine, shall we, the interest (potential sales) in a small camera that clearly and plainly out-resolves a D800 and most medium format cameras, which has no moire/visible aliasing, and which should be practical and usable from ISO 100 to 800, for color. and well above that for BW.

Who would want something like that?

Richard

-- hide signature --
maple
Senior MemberPosts: 2,628
Re: Sigma's problem:
In reply to richard stone, 2 months ago

You really sound like a fan boy, but I’m all with you. You missed the best bit though: It does not only out resolve FF, but does so in style, with the same colour purity, depth and intensity of the earlier Foveon.

On the other hand, I'll resist it. It won't be too hard, with help of the new design.

-- hide signature --

Maple

khunpapa
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Re: no Quattro sample images
In reply to Tom Schum, 2 months ago

Tom Schum wrote:

I think Sigma has a problem!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Everyone's life, too.

-- hide signature --

Flashes of my Memory.

 khunpapa's gear list:khunpapa's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 +10 more
Laurence Matson
Forum ProPosts: 11,080Gear list
Quatsch . . .
In reply to Tom Schum, 2 months ago

Tom Schum wrote:

I think Sigma has a problem!

. . . mit Soße!

-- hide signature --

Laurence
laurence at appledore-farm dot com
"I thought: I read something in a book, I dream, I imagine, and it comes true. And it is exactly like this in life.
"You can dream, and it comes true, as long as you can get out of the certitudes. As long as you can get a pioneering spirit, as long as you can explore, as long as you can think off the grid. So much time we spend in our education, in our lives is spent learning certitudes, learning habits, trying to fight against the unknown, to avoid the doubts and question marks. As soon as you start to love the unknown, to love the doubts, to love the question marks, life becomes an absolutely fabulous adventure."
Bertrand Piccard, a Swiss person
http://www.pbase.com/lmatson
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr
http://www.howardmyerslaw.com

rick decker
Forum ProPosts: 11,574
Right Tom
In reply to Tom Schum, 2 months ago

Sigma definitely has problems. I imagine Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax, Sony all have problems and more than Sigma.

But I wouldn't worry for Sigma as there is nothing you can do about that.  Sigma has become more conservative or cautious about when they release images.

So:

Don't worry, be happy
In every life we have some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy

In your life expect some trouble
When you worry you make it double
Don't worry, be happy, be happy now

Bobby McFerrin had big problems after that song as it as his only hit.

-- hide signature --

http://www.rickdecker.photography
http://www.silveroaksranch.com
http://www.pbase.com/rickdecker
Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear to be bright until you hear them speak.

richard stone
Senior MemberPosts: 1,529
Re: Sigma's problem:
In reply to maple, 2 months ago

maple wrote:

You really sound like a fan boy, but I’m all with you. You missed the best bit though: It does not only out resolve FF, but does so in style, with the same colour purity, depth and intensity of the earlier Foveon.

On the other hand, I'll resist it. It won't be too hard, with help of the new design.

-- hide signature --

Maple

Hmmm. Fan boy. Actually, at my age, I suppose boy of any kind is okay. Unless "boy" is meant as an insult. At which point...It's still ok.

But seriously, I don't see how this translates to fan boy. I simply assume, for the sake of discussion at this point, that the statements from Sigma are reasonably accurate. If true, they will not be able to keep them on the shelves, etc. Combined with greater ease of use and speed the superb "resolution" should make the camera very enticing to many.

As to the shape of the camera/design: suppose, just suppose, for a moment, that it works very well in hand and it is also entirely necessary, and might indeed be the least offensive of all the various possible designs considering the issues with the sensor and processing and the battery. There is no reason to assume the opposite, that the design is the result of some ghastly and misguided whim.

Is there some reason why (serious) cameras must have the form of a rectangular (black) box?

My past experience is exclusively with the SD10, and the crispness of those big pixels ought to be exceeded by this new camera when binned. Now that should be something to see.

Richard

-- hide signature --
unknown member
(unknown member)
Gequirlter Quatsch
In reply to Tom Schum, 2 months ago

Tom Schum wrote:

I think Sigma has a problem!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

mit Soße.

SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,992Gear list
Re: Sigma's problem:
In reply to maple, 2 months ago

maple wrote:

You really sound like a fan boy, but I’m all with you. You missed the best bit though: It does not only out resolve FF, but does so in style, with the same colour purity, depth and intensity of the earlier Foveon.

On the other hand, I'll resist it. It won't be too hard, with help of the new design.

I have actually spoken to someone who has handled one and he said it felt strange to begin with but became more comfortable as he got used to it. He said it's definitely made to be held with two hands - just like Kazuto Yamaki said.

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
PrebenR
Senior MemberPosts: 2,364
Re: no Quattro sample images
In reply to Tom Schum, 2 months ago

Tom Schum wrote:

I think Sigma has a problem!

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

With impatient people? Sigma should not rush the release.

-- hide signature --

Lightwriting with Sigma
«Bad reputation»

Dawson53
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Re: no Quattro sample images
In reply to Tom Schum, 2 months ago

I have seen several images on a Chinese forum. Somehow that thread is deleted. Unfortunately, I could see purple, green, and magenta on the image, so we still have to deal with those nightmares.  I hope I was seeing Merrill image because I can't read any Chinese lol

SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,992Gear list
Re: no Quattro sample images
In reply to Dawson53, 2 months ago

Dawson53 wrote:

I have seen several images on a Chinese forum. Somehow that thread is deleted. Unfortunately, I could see purple, green, and magenta on the image, so we still have to deal with those nightmares.

Really...? How did you come to this conclusion? The camera hasn't been released yet. Plenty of images from pre-release cameras look awful.

I hope I was seeing Merrill image because I can't read any Chinese lol

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
Dawson53
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Re: no Quattro sample images
In reply to SigmaChrome, 2 months ago

SigmaChrome wrote:

Dawson53 wrote:

I have seen several images on a Chinese forum. Somehow that thread is deleted. Unfortunately, I could see purple, green, and magenta on the image, so we still have to deal with those nightmares.

Really...? How did you come to this conclusion? The camera hasn't been released yet. Plenty of images from pre-release cameras look awful.

I hope I was seeing Merrill image because I can't read any Chinese lol

-- hide signature --

Remember? Shinzo Fukui - ex Sigma brand director took all promotional photos with Proto DP2M for SIGMA and you say those photos are awful? How about Seike Miyake's photo? He took DP3M promotional photos with Proto DP3M.

Well, when DP2M came out, the purple, green, and magenta thing was so easy to appear and SIGMA tuned the software and now we don't need to take care those things that much like before.

dpQ has a new sensor, so the same thing can happen, or not. Who knows. Please don't get me wrong. I am 100% sure I will get dpQ and so exciting to see the sample image. I really wish that photo I saw was wrong.

JohnLindroth
Senior MemberPosts: 2,284
I think Laurence M might have seen one...
In reply to Tom Schum, 2 months ago

the only one I've seen is the photo of Rudi Guttosch looking at a print made from the DP2Quattro

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/articleImages/WPPI_Trade_Show_2014/_3030248.jpg

And I know LM used to print a lot of their trade show photos....

-- hide signature --

http://gallery.johnlindroth.com/
john@johnlindroth.com
My future starts when I wake up every morning ...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
--Miles Davis

Laurence Matson
Forum ProPosts: 11,080Gear list
Re: I think Laurence M might have seen one...
In reply to JohnLindroth, 2 months ago

JohnLindroth wrote:

the only one I've seen is the photo of Rudi Guttosch looking at a print made from the DP2Quattro

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/articleImages/WPPI_Trade_Show_2014/_3030248.jpg

And I know LM used to print a lot of their trade show photos....

Exactly that link alone makes the "problem" claim nonsense. Of course there are images around. Whether they have actually been shown to anyone in particular or generally is an issue but rather a discretionary decision Sigma makes.

When the SD1 was announced at photokina 2010, images were prepared, and obviously that was done in advance and with some lead time. Someone also had to take them. And they were shown to a restricted number of people, who were allowed or needed to know. But not even the booth organizer knew in advance that these images would be there.

In this case, Sigma announced the camera at CP+ and likely had some images to show there to a similar subset.

Limiting the circulation of such images is done primarily by making them only available in print and for good reason. Digital negatives can be peeped and exploited for negative reasons. (Just imagine the nonsense on this board alone from some of my favorite spewers of misinformation using the BSOTF (both sides of the fence) approach.) Pre-production devices of every ilk have issues. The idea is not to cover them up but rather not let them become a distraction. If the issues are considered insurmountable, the product will not be announced as coming. Such devices in that stage are announced as concepts.

-- hide signature --

Laurence
laurence at appledore-farm dot com
"I thought: I read something in a book, I dream, I imagine, and it comes true. And it is exactly like this in life.
"You can dream, and it comes true, as long as you can get out of the certitudes. As long as you can get a pioneering spirit, as long as you can explore, as long as you can think off the grid. So much time we spend in our education, in our lives is spent learning certitudes, learning habits, trying to fight against the unknown, to avoid the doubts and question marks. As soon as you start to love the unknown, to love the doubts, to love the question marks, life becomes an absolutely fabulous adventure."
Bertrand Piccard, a Swiss person
http://www.pbase.com/lmatson
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr
http://www.howardmyerslaw.com

Dawson53
Regular MemberPosts: 125
Re: I think Laurence M might have seen one...
In reply to JohnLindroth, 2 months ago

JohnLindroth wrote:

the only one I've seen is the photo of Rudi Guttosch looking at a print made from the DP2Quattro

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/articleImages/WPPI_Trade_Show_2014/_3030248.jpg

And I know LM used to print a lot of their trade show photos....

-- hide signature --

http://gallery.johnlindroth.com/
john@johnlindroth.com
My future starts when I wake up every morning ...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
--Miles Davis

That photo was used for SIGMA CEO's keynote at CP+ as well. I put a link of the keynote. We can't see the actual image, but in this video you can see this photo and some others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuFgqzHlfV0#t=1870

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads