Bringing camera to work annual event, bad idea?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Cameranoobie
Regular MemberPosts: 300
Like?
Bringing camera to work annual event, bad idea?
3 months ago

My work is having our annual general event which is held at a hotel with breakfast.  It usually is 2-3 hours long and just has quest speakers.  It is not a party time event.  Its still work related topics.

I was thinking it would be a great oppurtunity to shoot because shooting events excites me. My boss knows im into photography.  Do you think it would be a bad idea to bring my cam?  I would feel bad for even asking if its not appropriate in this situation.  But it excites me just typing this, thinking of shooting the event.

What do you think?  The event is this Friday.

Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,950Gear list
Like?
Why are you attending ?
In reply to Cameranoobie, 3 months ago

Your Boss may have a different idea as to what is required of you at a conference ?
I'ld be waiting to be asked, not offering (industry dependant, of course).

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
karet
Regular MemberPosts: 456Gear list
Like?
Re: Bringing camera to work annual event, bad idea?

Cameranoobie wrote:

My work is having our annual general event which is held at a hotel with breakfast. It usually is 2-3 hours long and just has quest speakers. It is not a party time event. Its still work related topics.

I was thinking it would be a great oppurtunity to shoot because shooting events excites me. My boss knows im into photography. Do you think it would be a bad idea to bring my cam? I would feel bad for even asking if its not appropriate in this situation. But it excites me just typing this, thinking of shooting the event.

What do you think? The event is this Friday.

Why not? It could create value for the company. Guest speakers might appreciate it if your company sends them a photo taken at the event.

Just be realistic towards your boss about your skills and experience. His answer could be "no thanks" if he wants professional work or he could welcome the opportunity to let you grow into photographic work for the company. An employee offering skills and wanting to learn is always interesting to an employer.

Indoor work is not easy so read up on event photography. Learn a bit about balancing flash with ambient light and how to balance light (flash) on the speaker with projected slides behind the speaker. In short: aperture, iso and shutter time for the ambient light, flash exposure compensation for your subject, TTL will do the rest for you. Be early to experiment with your settings before the event starts.

Good luck,

Karet

karet's gear list:karet's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5200 Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-3 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL +8 more
Chikoo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,110Gear list
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

My work is having our annual general event which is held at a hotel with breakfast. It usually is 2-3 hours long and just has quest speakers. It is not a party time event. Its still work related topics.

I was thinking it would be a great oppurtunity to shoot because shooting events excites me. My boss knows im into photography. Do you think it would be a bad idea to bring my cam? I would feel bad for even asking if its not appropriate in this situation. But it excites me just typing this, thinking of shooting the event.

If it raises the value of your work & worth to the company, do it. Otherwise you will just be the free photographer for your boss.

chiane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,165
Like?

Your boss is going to tell you to pay attention to the event, not spend the day taking pictures.

Hank3152
Forum ProPosts: 12,438Gear list
Like?
Re: Why are you attending ?
In reply to Ron Poelman, 3 months ago

Ron Poelman wrote:

Your Boss may have a different idea as to what is required of you at a conference ?

I agree, perhaps your boss wants you to be paying attention and absorb the presentations or be actively involved rather than be freelancing, especially if it's a large event.

If so perhaps a pro has already been hired unless the company has an audio/video dept and a tech has already been assigned......... in either case you'd be stepping on someone's toes.

In summation, I'd ask your immediate supervisor........

-- hide signature --

"Five out of four people have trouble with fractions."
Regards,
Hank

Hank3152's gear list:Hank3152's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,646
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

Check with your manager, even if you feel uncomfortable asking. This would be a reasonable question to ask. It would be better to ask than to bring a camera and start shooting, assuming it's OK, only to be told to stop and pay attention.

Will there be a hired photog? Maybe there's an opportunity to take a few photos during the event and a couple of group shots afterwards for the company newsletter.

Cheers,
Doug

Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 11,954Gear list
Like?
Examples of possible traps -
In reply to Ron Poelman, 3 months ago

Ron Poelman wrote:

Alternatively, you could ask your boss for permission.

Here in New Zealand, our organisations - commercial or otherwise - also become sensitive about where any records are going - videos, photos or otherwise.

For example, in our Morris dance group, the public performances I put up on YouTube are welcome for bringing in the gigs, but practices are considered private. I am allowed to record practices, but I can circulate them to our own members only, mostly to new musicians for learning the tunes the way we play them, rather than the way they are written down.

Last month I was asked to do a video of a radio operating exercise for our Civil Defence, and I circulated DVDs to our club president who asked me, to the two main speakers at the exercise, and the head of the local civil defence as an additional request. The original reaction was 'Oh bother, why do we have to look at this'. Yesterday I learnt that the disk had been screened for an unspecified audience, and that the wife of the first speaker had watched the whole disk.

BUT, our club president specifically asked that I should refrain from putting it up on YouTube.

This is just to illustrate a couple of traps that may spring when making records of ANY desicription without invitation or permission.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 11,954Gear list
Like?
In reply to karet, 3 months ago

karet wrote:

Indoor work is not easy so read up on event photography.

At my radio club, discretion when shooting is the main requirement, therefore I use flash only in an emergency. In the past they have tolerated grainy prints in the newsletter I edit, but when I do flash shot after flash shot I get to hear about it. Half the members have been in the forces, and they associate, still, un unexpected flash with the discharge of a fire arm.

I currently use an Olympus SH-50 24x zoom pocket P&S with a BSI-CMOS sensor, for both stills and video. Both my discrete camera operation and the quality of my output has been commented on.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Wheatfield7
Senior MemberPosts: 1,126
Like?
In reply to chiane, 3 months ago

chiane wrote:

Your boss is going to tell you to pay attention to the event, not spend the day taking pictures.

^^^^this^^^^

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,494
Like?

Cameranoobie wrote:

You could casually ask if they want photos of the event.  As others suggested, perhaps your boss has other expectations of you; I wouldn't just show up and start shooting.  My boss and the HR department know full well I'm into photography and they now always ask me to do photos at events.  As long as I'm not obligated by a meeting or other activity that has a higher priority, I'm happy to do it.

Mark

Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 14,494
Like?
In reply to Chikoo, 3 months ago

Chikoo wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

If it raises the value of your work & worth to the company, do it. Otherwise you will just be the free photographer for your boss.

If you think about it, though, the OP is going to be there one way or the other.  It shouldn't make any difference whether he's there taking photos or in another capacity; either way he's going to be providing service as a paid employee.  He should definitely check first before assuming it's ok.

Mark

Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,556
Like?
I think it's a bad idea. . .

If you are shooting, you aren't listening to the meeting that the company is paying you to attend.  It isn't free time, They are paying you for a reason and if your title isn't "staff photographer" you wouldn't be collecting pay for the reason intended.

Yes, I'm a hard-ass.

-- hide signature --
Craig Gillette
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,651
Like?

All you can do is ask.  Each company and event is different.  I wish we had tape of an event satire "Meeting at the Ritz" where they spoofed the managers meeting at the Ritz Carlton.  OTOH, my wife has had as a regular task documenting a recurring meeting and use to get a few shots from one of the upper level guys and his p&s = and it was not easy.  He wasn't really into shooting the events nor did he have time.

It really depends on what they want from it.  If they haven't been in the newsletter, etc., it might be a fresh idea.  Or you may need to sit there and absorb.  We can't tell you.  Whatever cme out, I'd suggest underplaying it.  Not sure you want to become "that guy."

GodSpeaks
Forum ProPosts: 10,075Gear list
Like?

I own my own company, and I certainly would not an employee of mine 'freelancing' during a presentation I was paying for and paying the employee to attend.

Either ask your boss for permission, or forget the idea.

-- hide signature --

The greatest of mankind's criminals are those who delude themselves into thinking they have done 'the right thing.'
- Rayna Butler

GodSpeaks's gear list:GodSpeaks's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7i Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Kodak DCS Pro SLR/n +35 more
SkiHound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170
Like?

I'd certainly discuss this with your boss before just bringing a camera. Perhaps the company would like to document the event and welcome the presence of a camera. But many attendees may not wish to have their pictures taken. And, though I don't know the legal technicalities, I'm assuming this is a private event that's not open to the public. It's not like you're walking around on a public street. In the US at least, people  are fair game in public places but I'd say whoever is staging a private event can determine if photography is allowed or not. And there are lots of gradations. I went to a large private party a few days ago. There were parents taking pictures of their kids using compact cameras and cell phones. Nobody thought a thing of that. But if someone had been walking around doing documentary photography...

Aberaeron
Senior MemberPosts: 1,661Gear list
Like?
In reply to Doug J, 3 months ago

Doug J wrote:

Cameranoobie wrote:

Check with your manager, even if you feel uncomfortable asking. This would be a reasonable question to ask. It would be better to ask than to bring a camera and start shooting, assuming it's OK, only to be told to stop and pay attention.

Will there be a hired photog? Maybe there's an opportunity to take a few photos during the event and a couple of group shots afterwards for the company newsletter.

Cheers,
Doug

I agree entirely.

To OP…...

Main thing is……………. ASK! Ask your immediate boss first and if he is not in overall control, ask the powers that be.

It rather depends on what kind of event it is and what kind of business you work for as to how you approach this. Personally, I'd suggest it to your boss to consider and not push it too much. Go with the flow.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Nikon Coolpix P500 Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix S32 +6 more
newsshooterjim
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033Gear list
Like?

I'd offer to shoot it, keeping in mind a couple of things

If there are paid speakers there, they may have some rules/restrictions on how you or the company can use the images, if you can even shoot at all.

Not everyone there may want to be photographed, especially since it's a working meeting.

If you do get photos, please understand that, since you're likely on "company time" they're going to want the copyright to the images-you may be in a work for hire situation.

If the company does use the images for anything, be sure that they understand the concept of a model release.  Since you both work there and are the shooter, if someone's face gets used in an ad and they didn't sign off, it's going to land squarely on you.

Don't go overboard.  As in don't miss out on any lectures/meetings/activities that you're supposed to take part in unless your boss specifically says you need to go photograph something else instead.

Don't interfere with the work they're doing.  You should be darn near invisible.   This means no stopping what they're doing to pose a shot, no stopping them while you change a lens, and no stopping them so you can get a better angle.

After you're finished, have a clear understanding where you can and can not use/share the photos, particularly on social media.

Either way, I'd have the camera in the car.

-- hide signature --

Jim Dean

newsshooterjim's gear list:newsshooterjim's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Pentax K-5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads