I'm NOT knocked out with RX100M2

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
knox
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,558
Like?
I'm NOT knocked out with RX100M2
4 months ago

I bought a RX100M2 last week and so far I am completely underwhelmed. As a photographer I shoot analog Hasselblads, Nikon F100, Nikon D3 etc etc . . and have been carrying around a Rollei 35SE or the F100 in a messenger bag. I decided to get something smaller to carrying around in a coat pocket on my motorcycle rather than the Rollei or F100 in the bag . . . After some research I bought the Sony. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of it after using it for a few days. Yea I don't expect it to take shots as good as my main cameras but I just find the images rather bland and with the cliche sterile, 'pocket camera' digital 'look'. I bought it for a good deal at $548 otherwise I would have waited for the M3 to see what the upgrades are. I hate looking at an LCD to take photos and the add-on electronic viewfinder is too expensive to add to a camera when the images are just mediocre. I could deal with the regular viewfinder 'somewhat' if the images knocked me out. Maybe I expected too much. I admit I have not 'woodshedded' with it and got deep inside all the settings yet as I have been really busy . . . Is that where I will find the so called 'magic' everyone is talking about or did I just expect too much?

-- hide signature --

Knox

Nikon D3 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,223
Like?
Re: I'm NOT knocked out with RX100M2
In reply to knox, 4 months ago

knox wrote:

...where I will find the so called 'magic' everyone is talking about or did I just expect too much?

The "magic" is in the small size of the camera given its relatively large sensor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dale Cotton
Senior MemberPosts: 1,904
Like?
But I am

> images rather bland and with the cliche sterile, 'pocket camera' digital 'look'

Of course the word "look" is like a fill-in-the-blank box. Everyone will read something different into to it. Perhaps you're referring to the default rendering of colour and contrast. With film the look depends on which film stock you use, how you expose it, and optionally how you process it. With digital you roll your own film by your choice of saturation, contrast, sharpness, etc., as well as how you expose it, and of course the white balance. The RX100M2's OOC JPEGs at the standard settings are pretty close to realistic. And reality isn't usually as exciting as Velvia or Kodachrome.

But perhaps you're referring to something else entirely, so no point in responding any further.

Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?

knox wrote:

I bought a RX100M2 last week and so far I am completely underwhelmed. As a photographer I shoot analog Hasselblads, Nikon F100, Nikon D3 etc etc . . and have been carrying around a Rollei 35SE or the F100 in a messenger bag. I decided to get something smaller to carrying around in a coat pocket on my motorcycle rather than the Rollei or F100 in the bag . . . After some research I bought the Sony. I'm actually thinking about getting rid of it after using it for a few days. Yea I don't expect it to take shots as good as my main cameras but I just find the images rather bland and with the cliche sterile, 'pocket camera' digital 'look'. I bought it for a good deal at $548 otherwise I would have waited for the M3 to see what the upgrades are. I hate looking at an LCD to take photos and the add-on electronic viewfinder is too expensive to add to a camera when the images are just mediocre. I could deal with the regular viewfinder 'somewhat' if the images knocked me out. Maybe I expected too much. I admit I have not 'woodshedded' with it and got deep inside all the settings yet as I have been really busy . . . Is that where I will find the so called 'magic' everyone is talking about or did I just expect too much?

-- hide signature --

Knox

You're.. gonna have a bad time.

knox
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, 4 months ago

Sean Nelson wrote:

knox wrote:

...where I will find the so called 'magic' everyone is talking about or did I just expect too much?

The "magic" is in the small size of the camera given its relatively large sensor.

yea uh ok, but in my world the supposed 'magic' of a camera 'should' be the image quality.  It's ok for close up shots but nothing spectacular (at least that is what I'm seeing albeit in my short time of ownership).  I'm simply wondering if I should stick with it and 'woodshed' some more or was I expecting too much.

-- hide signature --

Knox

knox
Like?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 4 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

knox wrote:

-- hide signature --

Knox

You're.. gonna have a bad time.

explain . . I'm open to input (that's why I posted) and have thick skin.

-- hide signature --

Knox

moecat
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?

knox wrote:

-- hide signature --

Knox

I think you should get rid of it. You have better cameras and you don't value the small size enough to overlook its weaknesses. I think the "magic" of the RX100 is only to be found if you're willing to adapt to its limitations, learn to use it effectively, and marvel at the results in the context of its size.

You're not the person that should've bought this camera in the first place, so why keep it?

Tonkotsu Ramen
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
In reply to moecat, 4 months ago

Another thing is, if he's talking coat pockets, he can go mirrorless. May be much closer to what he's looking for.

saintz
Regular MemberPosts: 493Gear list
Like?

If you're comparing this to medium format cameras, you're definitely expecting too much. The advantage of the RX100 is size. If you just need something jacket pocketable, a NEX will be closer to your expectations but still won't match FF or MF. You'll also need better glass.

saintz's gear list:saintz's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
knox
Like?
In reply to moecat, 4 months ago

moecat wrote:

I think you should get rid of it. You have better cameras and you don't value the small size enough to overlook its weaknesses. I think the "magic" of the RX100 is only to be found if you're willing to adapt to its limitations, learn to use it effectively, and marvel at the results in the context of its size.

You're not the person that should've bought it this camera in the first place, so why keep it?

Thank you for the straight up input.  Yea I think I was hoping I could find something to carry on the bike easily that would take really, really great shots overall.  And it does ok, just nothing spectacular IMV.  I think my expectations were too high.  Plus I should have considered more that using the screen to compose / focus was going to bother me as much.

-- hide signature --

Knox

knox
Like?
In reply to saintz, 4 months ago

saintz wrote:

If you're comparing this to medium format cameras, you're definitely expecting too much. The advantage of the RX100 is size. If you just need something jacket pocketable, a NEX will be closer to your expectations but still won't match FF or MF. You'll also need better glass.

no way was I expecting it to compare with MF . .  not in the least.  Or SLR.  I was just expecting more than I'm getting.  My mistake.  I can actually take it back or sell it.  Live and learn.  Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Knox

knox
Like?
In reply to Tonkotsu Ramen, 4 months ago

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Another thing is, if he's talking coat pockets, he can go mirrorless. May be much closer to what he's looking for.

. . it's a consideration.  Though maybe I should get rid of this and just go back to what I was using for now.  Seems the mirrorless is about the same size as my Rollei, though I admit I don't know much about mirrorless.  Anyway . . . I heard what I needed to hear.  I appreciate all the input.

-- hide signature --

Knox

Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?

Have you shot RAW in P mode and post processed your images with a RAW developer?

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
T. L. Rutter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,305Gear list
Like?

I own the RX100 and I typically get the same results from this camera that I do with the older NEX series. To me, the magic in any camera is being able to go manual and shoot in RAW or accepting JPG as it is with some post-processing.

To get the most out of your camera, you will need to go to one of the manual modes and change the style of pictures you want.  Even on the a6000 I changed the styles and my pictures POP right out of the camera shooting in jpg.  P mode at the very least will do wonders.

I know you now all of this already so I am not telling you anything new... just encouraging to give your RX another try. For the price you paid, it is a sweet deal and because you are more discriminate about what comes out of the camera, try the styles or shooting in RAW. I notice with all my Sony cameras, I do need to do SOME post-processing to have the pictures POP. Good luck with your camera and hope you give it another try or find something that will fit your needs.

T. L. Rutter's gear list:T. L. Rutter's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX200V Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +6 more
knox
Like?
In reply to Ron AKA, 4 months ago

Ron AKA wrote:

Have you shot RAW in P mode and post processed your images with a RAW developer?

Ron, I have not.  I shot RAW and jpg at first so I could take advantage of RAW but realized I had nothing in my older versions of Photoshop / Aperture to open the files and have not looked for needed software, as have been really busy.  I was simply seeing by getting input here if I should delve deeper and do these things, read up more on the Sony and spend more time with it before I realized it was a bad choice for me (I do like the size).  I certainly don't expect the images to hold a candle to my other cameras, but was expecting a bit more in image quality from what all I was reading here and on the net.

I'm on a Mac.  I suspect the older versions of Photoshop / Aperture will not be compatible with a new plug in for the newer Sony, though I may be wrong.  Still, high quality jpg (of course with proper settings) should be enough to see if it's for me or not.  Or so I would think.

-- hide signature --

Knox

knox
Like?
In reply to T. L. Rutter, 4 months ago

T. L. Rutter wrote:

I own the RX100 and I typically get the same results from this camera that I do with the older NEX series. To me, the magic in any camera is being able to go manual and shoot in RAW or accepting JPG as it is with some post-processing.

To get the most out of your camera, you will need to go to one of the manual modes and change the style of pictures you want. Even on the a6000 I changed the styles and my pictures POP right out of the camera shooting in jpg. P mode at the very least will do wonders.

I know you now all of this already so I am not telling you anything new... just encouraging to give your RX another try. For the price you paid, it is a sweet deal and because you are more discriminate about what comes out of the camera, try the styles or shooting in RAW. I notice with all my Sony cameras, I do need to do SOME post-processing to have the pictures POP. Good luck with your camera and hope you give it another try or find something that will fit your needs.

Thank you for the input. Yea, I always dig deep in the settings of my cameras for creative and artistic choices but have not had enough time to get really deep with this little guy. That was my point in reaching out here  . . . . that IF I spend more time will I get what I'm looking for (within reason) or was I simply expecting too much.

-- hide signature --

Knox

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,223
Like?

knox wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

knox wrote:

yea uh ok, but in my world the supposed 'magic' of a camera 'should' be the image quality. It's ok for close up shots but nothing spectacular (at least that is what I'm seeing albeit in my short time of ownership). I'm simply wondering if I should stick with it and 'woodshed' some more or was I expecting too much.

Your list of cameras suggests that this is the first compact digital camera that you've owned.   I think perhaps that you can't really appreciate the "magic" of the RX100 unless you've also experienced the limitations of cameras with even smaller sensors.

And I agree with the other posters who have suggested that capturing RAW images and manipulating them to your taste in post-processing will give you results that you'd better appreciate.   In my experience much of the "magic" in really good images is applied after the shot is taken, in ways that are sometimes subtle and sometimes quite radical.

Jim Trainor
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
I shoot with a Nikon D800

and have been using good Nikon gear ever since I had my N90S and F100 back in the film days. I've had the RX100M2 for about a month. I guess I have my sights set lower than you. I bought the camera for street photos and go-light occasions and hopefully better high-ISO that my S100. So far I haven't been disappointed. Here's a heavily cropped shot taken at ISO 3200 and 100 mm (equiv.) at a dimly lit indoor event (the ordination of a bishop). I couldn't have gotten this shot with my S100 and could not have lugged my D800 into this shooting position. The camera's not perfect, but for me it's definitely a keeper.

Jim Trainor's gear list:Jim Trainor's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
Jim Trainor
Regular MemberPosts: 268Gear list
Like?
Re: I shoot with a Nikon D800
In reply to Jim Trainor, 4 months ago

Correction: shot was actually at ISO 6400.

Jim Trainor's gear list:Jim Trainor's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
WalkaboutSean
Regular MemberPosts: 188Gear list
Like?

I've had my RX100M2 for about 5 months, and also own a bunch of APS-C cams (Fuji X100, NEX-6, Nikon D7100, etc.).

At times I have been thrilled with the images coming out of the RX100M2. At other times, I have been disappointed.

But it must be remembered that the RX100M2 has a 1" sensor that's only 1/3 the surface area of APS-C. Even if it's the "best compact camera ever made"... it's still positioned in the compact class of camera. It's not APS-C or FF (although sometimes it may perform on a par with such cameras) and will reach its limitations more quickly than those options.

I think you have to appreciate the RX100M2 for what it is... an amazingly versatile and powerful compact camera that fits in your pocket. If you don't highly value the pocketability, there's no point in owning it.

WalkaboutSean's gear list:WalkaboutSean's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-3 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads