Battery re-charging problems in Spain

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Nikonicon
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?
Battery re-charging problems in Spain
6 months ago

Welcome all

I am currently in Spain from Australia,my Nikon batteries wont re charge and my lap top wont re-charge when I have it plugged into the electricity,the lap top I can live with but does anyone know what I will have to do to get the batteries to re-charge.Many Thanks.

Regards

Roger.

-- hide signature --

Nikonicon
ex Nikonover

Nikonicon's gear list:Nikonicon's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +2 more
Nikonicon
Contributing MemberPosts: 617Gear list
Like?
Re: Battery re-charging problems in Spain
In reply to Nikonicon, 6 months ago

Solved it.

You have to put the hotel security card back in the power slot to get your electricity through.Glad I can work the camera better.

Regards

Roger.

-- hide signature --

Nikonicon
ex Nikonover

Nikonicon's gear list:Nikonicon's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,340
Like?

Nikonicon wrote:

Solved it.

You have to put the hotel security card back in the power slot to get your electricity through.Glad I can work the camera better.

I guess you hadn't tried to switch the room lights on!

Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,275
Like?
Need to put hotel security in the power slot to make it work?

Nikonicon wrote:

Solved it.

I've never heard of this and I wonder what the rationale is.   Don't you need to use the hotel security card to get in the room in the first place?

Is there an extra charge to use electricity?  If so, then it is still odd that they would use a security card.  Power meters were invented a long time ago and it would seem that adding a power meter to the room power outlets wouldn't be more expensive than a security card reader.

Otherwise?

Wayne

phaedin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,207Gear list
Like?
Re: Need to put hotel security in the power slot to make it work?
In reply to Wayne Larmon, 6 months ago

I have seen this in Mexico as well.
I am guessing the rationale behind it is to reduce electricity costs for the hotel that they can't charge for.
In my situation, you needed to insert the card to get the air conditioning to operate, along with the power outlets etc.
so if you are not in the room, power isn't wasted on air con when it is not needed.

phaedin's gear list:phaedin's gear list
Nikon D7100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD
Wayne Larmon
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,275
Like?
In reply to phaedin, 6 months ago

phaedin wrote:

I am guessing the rationale behind it is to reduce electricity costs for the hotel that they can't charge for.
In my situation, you needed to insert the card to get the air conditioning to operate, along with the power outlets etc.
so if you are not in the room, power isn't wasted on air con when it is not needed.

Ah, so you need to leave your card in the slot all the time the electricity/AC is on.  This would make it difficult to charge your devices while you are out to dinner.

I can see why management would be concerned about AC usage in warm climates.  But I've visited Florida a lot and have never seen this down there.

Wayne

tomiga
Junior MemberPosts: 26
Like?

Quite usual thing in Europe (you know we are concern about environement and not wasting energy

You have to used to recharg your batteries during the night.

MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,340
Like?

Wayne Larmon wrote:

phaedin wrote:

Ah, so you need to leave your card in the slot all the time the electricity/AC is on. This would make it difficult to charge your devices while you are out to dinner.

I can see why management would be concerned about AC usage in warm climates. But I've visited Florida a lot and have never seen this down there.

In Europe we are a lot more energy conscious than the US, which has a reputation for being wasteful of energy.
Simply charge your batteries overnight, when you are occupying your room.

Howard Moftich
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,022
Like?
In reply to MisterBG, 6 months ago

'conscious' is one thing. being told when and how to use electricity is another. if europeans were truly conscious, they would do it naturally and wouldn't need to have a nanny state enforce these silly ideas.

Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,618
Like?
Special considerations for safety aspects!

Glad you found the answer so quickly Roger. I'm a Brit who lives in rural Spain (10+ years) and as have no problems (recharging, that is - don't mention language with technical issues for telephone and electricity companies - Grrrrrrr) was going to offer advice to cover all eventualities.  I do occasional photo trips and use hotels (to clarify).

Hope you have a great visit.

Regarding anyone saying it is a silly idea - it is done not just for saving electricity consumption but more for safety from electrical fires when people leave a room with items plugged in and no occupational supervision. There is no restriction on consumption when any room is occupied - and thus much greater safety for everyone in the hotel when "others" are not in their rooms.

Minor inconvenience = greater safety for all! BTW - very few hotels in Spain actually have that more modern safety installation.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/backfocus.htm
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, 6 months ago

Howard Moftich wrote:

'conscious' is one thing. being told when and how to use electricity is another. if europeans were truly conscious, they would do it naturally and wouldn't need to have a nanny state enforce these silly ideas.

The US population is 5% of world total? and uses 25% of the worlds resources. Now there is a thought!

-- hide signature --

No Trolls in Norway: They all took the bus to DPR.

Jaberwok's gear list:Jaberwok's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX20 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +7 more
Chikoo
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630Gear list
Like?
In reply to Howard Moftich, 6 months ago

Howard Moftich wrote:

you mean like having a safety latch on a gun is telling me I don't know how to use a gun?

Sonyshine
Senior MemberPosts: 5,329Gear list
Like?

The only time I ever came across this was in a Motel in Georgia I was living in - many years ago when I was working in the states.

I guess its just an anti-theft or anti-wastage measure.

Sonyshine's gear list:Sonyshine's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +6 more
gfspencer
Contributing MemberPosts: 517Gear list
Like?

Nikonicon wrote:

Solved it.

Regards

Roger.

-- hide signature --

Nikonicon
ex Nikonover

Glad you figured it out.

Pretty common in European hotels . . . especially Spain.  They don't want you to leave your room and leave the lights on.

gfspencer's gear list:gfspencer's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,757
Like?

Nikonicon wrote:

Solved it.

Regards

Roger.

It's good that you sorted it out. This system is also used in some of the hotels in Asia. One difference - the electrical outlets near the desk in the rooms may operate independently of the key card and not be switched off. This is convenient for chargers, etc.

Cheers,
Doug

Oly Canikon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,010
Like?

Wayne Larmon wrote:

phaedin wrote:

Ah, so you need to leave your card in the slot all the time the electricity/AC is on. This would make it difficult to charge your devices while you are out to dinner.

I can see why management would be concerned about AC usage in warm climates. But I've visited Florida a lot and have never seen this down there.

Wayne

Wayne

I have seen it in the US but it is very rare. The first time I ever saw it was in Maryland.

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,143Gear list
Like?
Correct. It's a good and flexible system.
In reply to Doug J, 6 months ago

It's a good system - I travel a lot (unlike the OP, apparently) so I am familiar with all of these electrical environments. The card controlling electricity is a cost-saving measure for hotels, especially those in regions where the weather encourages use of an air-conditioner. As mentioned, some ports are still active for chargers or other low-voltage uses.

Not sure why the OP is surprised and puzzled by this - it's been normal for a number of years. Last year, in a hotel in Pyongyang, I noticed the same system.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Zone8
Forum ProPosts: 15,618
Like?
Re: Correct. It's a good and flexible system.
In reply to Corkcampbell, 6 months ago

Corkcampbell wrote: It's a good system - I travel a lot (unlike the OP, apparently) so I am familiar with all of these electrical environments. The card controlling electricity is a cost-saving measure for hotels, especially those in regions where the weather encourages use of an air-conditioner. As mentioned, some ports are still active for chargers or other low-voltage uses. Not sure why the OP is surprised and puzzled by this - it's been normal for a number of years. Last year, in a hotel in Pyongyang, I noticed the same system.

As I indicated in my earlier response - the main reason is not electricity wastage but more for hotel safety for hotel occupants - meaning only rooms with occupants have anything electrical on when unoccupied = safety for all!  There is no restriction on use of anything electrical when occupied.

-- hide signature --

Zone8: Although I am a handsome genius, when I stand in front of a mirror, I vaguely recognise the ugly idjit standing on the other side!
LINK: For B+W with Epson 1400 (and other models) using black ink only PLUS other useful tips:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/epson1400-B&W.htm
Cleaning DSLR Sensors, including Kodak DSLR Factory Cleaning method:
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/KodakDCS-sensorcleaning.htm (Includes links to "bassotto's" images)
Solving back/front focus problems on Sigma and most other DSLRs
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/backfocus.htm
PDF format list of lenses you can print or download - covers Italian Flag YES/NO for DCS 14n but applies to others. http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS/ItiFlagLensList.pdf

Doug J
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,757
Like?
Re: Correct. It's a good and flexible system.
In reply to Zone8, 6 months ago

Zone8 wrote:

Corkcampbell wrote: It's a good system - I travel a lot (unlike the OP, apparently) so I am familiar with all of these electrical environments. The card controlling electricity is a cost-saving measure for hotels, especially those in regions where the weather encourages use of an air-conditioner. As mentioned, some ports are still active for chargers or other low-voltage uses. Not sure why the OP is surprised and puzzled by this - it's been normal for a number of years. Last year, in a hotel in Pyongyang, I noticed the same system.

As I indicated in my earlier response - the main reason is not electricity wastage but more for hotel safety for hotel occupants - meaning only rooms with occupants have anything electrical on when unoccupied = safety for all! There is no restriction on use of anything electrical when occupied.

It's my understanding that the primary reason to use the hotel key card to shut off electricity is energy savings. A Google search for "hotel key card electric conservation" returns pages of hits identifying this conservation initiative, hotels using them to save energy, manufacturers promoting them for conservation, etc.

Safety may be a consideration, but I believe conservation is the primary driver.

Cheers,
Doug

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,143Gear list
Like?
That's always been my understanding.
In reply to Doug J, 6 months ago

Everything I've read in the past indicates it is primarily a cost-cutting measure, found especially in countries where electricity cost is higher. Safety is a nice by-product, but we don't read daily news of hotels going up in flames due to air conditioning or TVs being left on. If safety were the primary concern, some governments would have required the system. They may yet require the system, but it would be more like the phasing out of the old-technology, electricity-hungry light bulbs. In some places, the use of the card also alerts the hotel staff to when you are present, and when you leave. I noticed that in a couple of hotels in which I've stayed recently, within seconds of my leaving, someone knows and immediately comes in to clean the room.

I've gotten use to it over the years and don't have a problem with it; as others have said, you just recharge your batteries, shavers, phones, etc., when you are in the room. No biggee.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads