got the camera what's the lenses

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
zakaria
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587Gear list
Like?
got the camera what's the lenses
4 months ago

The X-E1 is the first step in fuji system for me. Wish you advice one buy excellent lens for portrait and travel. Forgive me if I asked many times. I am new to this mirror less system. I already have pentax k3 a very capable machine. I love it so much but need a lightweight system for travel and every day use.
--
pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D7000 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 +1 more
mainger
Regular MemberPosts: 338Gear list
Like?
Re: got the camera what's the lenses
In reply to zakaria, 4 months ago

I would start with the excellent "kit" 18-55 zoom. You'll get enough width for landscapes, and enough length for portraits. It's a very good lens. Once you've used it a while and if you start feeling limitations, then maybe explore other lenses for either ends (14mm for wide, 56mm for portraits)

mainger's gear list:mainger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
awgk
Regular MemberPosts: 211Gear list
Like?
In reply to mainger, 4 months ago

mainger wrote:

I would start with the excellent "kit" 18-55 zoom. You'll get enough width for landscapes, and enough length for portraits. It's a very good lens. Once you've used it a while and if you start feeling limitations, then maybe explore other lenses for either ends (14mm for wide, 56mm for portraits)

I totally agree!

awgk's gear list:awgk's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?
In reply to mainger, 4 months ago

mainger wrote:

Right.

There aren’t too many complaints about this little gem. Lightweight and versatile. Great IQ.

What’s not to like?

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +16 more
Philip J.
Contributing MemberPosts: 752Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ollie 2, 4 months ago

Later on you may think about the Samyang 8mm fisheye lens....I have had mine for 6 months now and find it super sharp and great fun to use. Light to carry with you and great quality. Just a thought.

Indulis Bernsteins
Regular MemberPosts: 416Gear list
Like?
In reply to Philip J., 4 months ago

Yes a vote for the extremely fun and relatively inexpensive Samyang 8mm F2.8 (also available cheaper rebranded as Bower US$300).

You can even use it as a decent panorama lens, line up the horizon dead centre, then crop later. Watch out that your feet and hands don't end up in-shot.

The 17-55mm is a great lens as it is versatile and good image quality. The 35mm F1.4 for those darker shots (and amazingly sharp photos).

Pancake 27mm F2.8 when you want the camera to fit into a jacket pocket (some jackets!), and for unobtrusive street photography.

Hand grip is almost essential for those of us with non-child hands. New one with battery holes or 3rd party equivalent.

I just got the 55-200mm lens and at around 80-100mm it is a fantastic portrait lens!See photo below at 90mm.

Basically just buy all the lenses though I'd start with the 17-55mm and the Samyang 8mm.

Latvian Festival, UK

PS set up a couple of custom settings, I have C1 set to colour Auto ISO 6400, C2 to Colour Auto ISO 800. Ignore Auto shutter for when it gets a bit darker, choose C1 for very dark or C2 for twilight, set shutter speed manually to suit the subject and let the aperture and ISO figure out what to do.  So 1 click right in the Q menu gets me from BASIC to the safest colour setting for all conditions, 2 clicks gets me to C2 for better quality.

I have C7 likewise set to B&W Auto ISO 6400, and C6 to B&W Auto ISO 800. These 4 are all I need. If I want a special photo I load C2 or C6 (ISO800) and then just dial the ISO back to 200.

On the Custom Setting menu, think of BASIC as "what state the camera is in now", it is not a custom setting really. Then the Custom Setting you select (C1-C7) "loads over" the current camera state when you press OK. Then you modify BASIC (current state) if you want to.

Indulis Bernsteins's gear list:Indulis Bernsteins's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
zakaria
Senior MemberPosts: 1,587Gear list
Like?
In reply to Indulis Bernsteins, 4 months ago

Indulis Bernsteins wrote:

Yes a vote for the extremely fun and relatively inexpensive Samyang 8mm F2.8 (also available cheaper rebranded as Bower US$300).

You can even use it as a decent panorama lens, line up the horizon dead centre, then crop later. Watch out that your feet and hands don't end up in-shot.

The 17-55mm is a great lens as it is versatile and good image quality. The 35mm F1.4 for those darker shots (and amazingly sharp photos).

Pancake 27mm F2.8 when you want the camera to fit into a jacket pocket (some jackets!), and for unobtrusive street photography.

Hand grip is almost essential for those of us with non-child hands. New one with battery holes or 3rd party equivalent.

I just got the 55-200mm lens and at around 80-100mm it is a fantastic portrait lens!See photo below at 90mm.

Basically just buy all the lenses though I'd start with the 17-55mm and the Samyang 8mm.

Latvian Festival, UK

PS set up a couple of custom settings, I have C1 set to colour Auto ISO 6400, C2 to Colour Auto ISO 800. Ignore Auto shutter for when it gets a bit darker, choose C1 for very dark or C2 for twilight, set shutter speed manually to suit the subject and let the aperture and ISO figure out what to do. So 1 click right in the Q menu gets me from BASIC to the safest colour setting for all conditions, 2 clicks gets me to C2 for better quality.

I have C7 likewise set to B&W Auto ISO 6400, and C6 to B&W Auto ISO 800. These 4 are all I need. If I want a special photo I load C2 or C6 (ISO800) and then just dial the ISO back to 200.

On the Custom Setting menu, think of BASIC as "what state the camera is in now", it is not a custom setting really. Then the Custom Setting you select (C1-C7) "loads over" the current camera state when you press OK. Then you modify BASIC (current state) if you want to.

thanks so much.

lovely shot .

I now have a new XF 35 f1.4 plus 18-55 the lens that pushed me to fuji system.very nice lens.

I will pick up 10-20 and after that the remarkable 56 will be at the bag sooooon!

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D7000 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 +1 more
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,425Gear list
Like?

My Samyang 85mm F1.4 x-mount is now on its way to me.  I waited several weeks for it.  I think 85mm is a great focal length.  Samyang price was $299 at B&H.  We'll see....

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,496Gear list
Like?

zakaria wrote:

The X-E1 is the first step in fuji system for me. Wish you advice one buy excellent lens for portrait and travel. Forgive me if I asked many times. I am new to this mirror less system. I already have pentax k3 a very capable machine. I love it so much but need a lightweight system for travel and every day use.
--
pentaxian .

For anyone who only has one Fuji lens and needs to use that for travel and taking pictures of people, the lens to have is the 18-55mm standard zoom. If you want to go beyond that, the next lens to have is the 14mm, because it's simply spectacular and gets you down into the wide end of the spectrum where the 18-55mm can't go. The next lens would be the 27mm; because it's sharp, full of contrast, fast to focus, AND it splits the difference between the 23mm and the 35mm in terms of focal length and price.

I'm sure everyone else will have differing opinions based on their own preferences, but these seem to me to be the most logical choices after having handled them for quite some time.

Dick Ginkowski
Senior MemberPosts: 1,862Gear list
Like?
Based on your stated needs, the answer is easy.

18-55mm kit lens and 55-200mm telephoto.

Dick Ginkowski's gear list:Dick Ginkowski's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-E1 +20 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,446Gear list
Like?

The 18-55 is a good starting point. It will do a lot of what you want it to do.

The 27mm is good as a standard lens if you want to travel light, or the 35mm f1.4 for a faster lens.

I like the 14 for wide angle. The 10-24 is more versatile and wider, but I really like the 14.

For portrait the 56mm is superb, but for a smaller lens with better close-up ability and a lot less money the 60mm is my choice.

There are some good choices depending on how you like to shoot and your budget.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads