Weird, I don't miss my E-30 . . .

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,993
Like?
Weird, I don't miss my E-30 . . .
4 months ago

I'm kind of surprised at that.  It helps that I can use my Zuiko DSLR lenses on the m4/3s body, I guess.  I'd hate to be restricted to the kit lens, which economic circumstances would force on me for the time being.  But so far, I've not felt restricted in any way.

-- hide signature --
Olympus E-30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Lumixdude
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Re: Weird, I don't miss my E-30 . . .
In reply to Glen Barrington, 4 months ago

The E-30 is a very old DSLR, any/all Micro Four Thirds cameras from the current generation of 16 megapixel sensors should be able to substantially out perform it. Your lenses will work particularly well with cameras such as the GX7 or E-M1 with hybrid PDAF.

Lumixdude's gear list:Lumixdude's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Apple iPhone 4 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
amalric
Forum ProPosts: 10,808
Like?

Glen Barrington wrote:

I'm kind of surprised at that. It helps that I can use my Zuiko DSLR lenses on the m4/3s body, I guess. I'd hate to be restricted to the kit lens, which economic circumstances would force on me for the time being. But so far, I've not felt restricted in any way.

Well, isn't it strange that at the other forum the fought for four full years against m4/3 only to discover that was nothing to fear?

For upholding that I was constantly banned even as a former 4/3 owner. Those people really fought for the pecking order and the social supremacy costly lenses must have conferred them, because their galleries often showed mediocre and very conventional content.

Let bygones be bygones, even if someone should be decent enough to ask forgiving.

Let pets & brats be their damnation.

Am.

vadimraskin
Senior MemberPosts: 3,552Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lumixdude, 4 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

The E-30 is a very old DSLR, any/all Micro Four Thirds cameras from the current generation of 16 megapixel sensors should be able to substantially out perform it. Your lenses will work particularly well with cameras such as the GX7 or E-M1 with hybrid PDAF.

E-30 is a fine camera, capable of producing high quality pictures, especially paired with a high grade glass. Compared to my new EM1 it is, of course, less advanced but I loved its ergonomics and control lay-out, its size and balance with large lenses. It is not retiring anytime soon, especially when I intend to shoot landscape.

vadimraskin's gear list:vadimraskin's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +3 more
vadimraskin
Senior MemberPosts: 3,552Gear list
Like?
In reply to amalric, 4 months ago

amalric wrote:

Glen Barrington wrote:

I'm kind of surprised at that. It helps that I can use my Zuiko DSLR lenses on the m4/3s body, I guess. I'd hate to be restricted to the kit lens, which economic circumstances would force on me for the time being. But so far, I've not felt restricted in any way.

Well, isn't it strange that at the other forum the fought for four full years against m4/3 only to discover that was nothing to fear?

i have been a member of the OTHER forum for a couple of years and I don't remember anyone fighting m4/3 bodies. Some people were (and still) advocating for separation of the formats but inreality, who cares? Why do we always have to find something to fight about?

For upholding that I was constantly banned even as a former 4/3 owner. Those people really fought for the pecking order and the social supremacy costly lenses must have conferred them, because their galleries often showed mediocre and very conventional content.

that is not to say that some galleries here are not fill of mediocre pictures. It isn't the gear that makes the picture but a person who pulls the shutter.

Let bygones be bygones, even if someone should be decent enough to ask forgiving.

Let pets & brats be their damnation.

Am.

vadimraskin's gear list:vadimraskin's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +3 more
linux99
Contributing MemberPosts: 635Gear list
Like?
E-30 was a real nice camera - sensor differences are overrated

Lumixdude wrote:

I still shoot with my e620 despite having moved on to m4/3 kit for most of my use. When I look at images side by side I cant tell which ones are from the e620 and which from the OMD. Really there's a lot less difference in normal use between the two cameras than you would believe just from reading these forums.

linux99's gear list:linux99's gear list
Sigma DP2x Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
amalric
Like?
In reply to vadimraskin, 4 months ago

vadimraskin wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

E-30 is a fine camera, capable of producing high quality pictures, especially paired with a high grade glass. Compared to my new EM1 it is, of course, less advanced but I loved its ergonomics and control lay-out, its size and balance with large lenses. It is not retiring anytime soon, especially when I intend to shoot landscape.

I just uploaded to a Stock site landscape pictures from the E-620 that I still find remarkable today.

The main trouble with that class of cameras is that they had a high AA filter. 12 Mpx in fact is still enough, but the increase of resolution in 16 Mpx is visible, because Olympus changed tack - or Sony's tech is so outstanding?

m4/3 is the final demonstration that small sensor with outstanding lenses can work as the new standard. Leica T in a way says just that.

Am.

ristar
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

Are you sure about that? I have never read anywhere that the GX7 has hybrid CDAF/PDAF. As far as I know, the E-M1 is the only Micro Four Thirds camera on the market with that feature.

ristar's gear list:ristar's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Glen Barrington
Forum ProPosts: 12,993
Like?

Lumixdude wrote:

Have you ever used an E-30? I don't think you'd say that if you ever have.

In the hands of a halfway decent photographer, the IQ is superb, and the ergonomics (for a DSLR) was very good. In terms of image quality, it holds its own against the E-M10. And other than the obvious differences between 12 mp compared to 16 mp, if you compare the quality of the kit lenses, the E30 wins THAT! The telecentric nature of the Zuiko DSLR lenses, by their very nature of design is going to offer up a higher IQ, though at the cost of size.

The size constraint is both m4/3s strength and weakness, IMO, which is why m4/3s will always be something people argue over. m4/3s will never be the universal default choice in cameras the way Canon has been. People need to think about what they want and need before they buy into m4/3s.

The point of my post was that as a DSLR holdout, I've not LOST anything by going to the mirrorless format. and my DSLR lenses work very well with my E-M10 BTW! That's a good thing!

Edit: AS far as high ISO noise goes, both still kind of suck.  Granted my E-M10 sucks a little bit less, but it isn't anything to brag about either.  That really doesn't concern me since I rarely shoot at high ISO anyway!

-- hide signature --
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
If you shoot jpeg...
In reply to linux99, 4 months ago

But if you shoot raw, the differences are HUGE.  How do I know?  Well, I still have and play with the raw files from my E-3 and E-5, which fall apart rapidly when I try to adjust exposure.  Let's not even talk 1600 ISO and greater IQ or highlight recovery (assuming it wasn't blown out to begin with.  Enjoy your E-30 and jpegs.  Maybe you even still enjoy taking the horse and buggy down to the crick to get some water to shave with.

Me and many, many others recognize the advantages of the new sensors and have moved on.

dpalugyay's gear list:dpalugyay's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
I remember it plenty.
In reply to vadimraskin, 4 months ago

It's why I quit going there.  Too many uppity ups looking down on m43.  Amalric is not making up or imagining things.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +4 more
linux99
Like?
Just more skilled at getting it right?
In reply to dpalugyay, 4 months ago

dpalugyay wrote:

But if you shoot raw, the differences are HUGE. How do I know? Well, I still have and play with the raw files from my E-3 and E-5, which fall apart rapidly when I try to adjust exposure. Let's not even talk 1600 ISO and greater IQ or highlight recovery (assuming it wasn't blown out to begin with. Enjoy your E-30 and jpegs. Maybe you even still enjoy taking the horse and buggy down to the crick to get some water to shave with.

Me and many, many others recognize the advantages of the new sensors and have moved on.

Or perhaps I'm just better at getting it right in the camera and not having to do gross post production with the RAW files.

Who knows?

Sigma DP2x Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,304Gear list
Like?
RE: Re: If you shoot jpeg...

dpalugyay wrote:

But if you shoot raw, the differences are HUGE. How do I know? Well, I still have and play with the raw files from my E-3 and E-5, which fall apart rapidly when I try to adjust exposure. Let's not even talk 1600 ISO and greater IQ or highlight recovery (assuming it wasn't blown out to begin with. Enjoy your E-30 and jpegs. Maybe you even still enjoy taking the horse and buggy down to the crick to get some water to shave with.

I assume these sentiments apply to my E-5 as well.  Well, I don't at all share your experience of raw files "falling apart" when I try to adjust exposure.  And I can shoot at ISO 1600 or even ISO 2500 all day long if I want to with only a smidgeon of detail loss.

I think that what you've posted about your E-3 and E-5 experiences has much more to do with operator error or processing mistakes than anything else.

This isn't to say that I think the E-5 or E-3 or any of the older Olympus digital products are as good as or better than the current crop.  I've just ordered an E-PM2 because I need that kind of small, easy camera in my kit.  I have little doubt I'll see somewhat better imaging with the E-PM2 due to the improved 16MP sensor and other factors.  But the differences will not be huge in any "game-changer" fashion.  My E-5 will still turn out very high quality images no matter when else may come along in the future.

We have reached the point of diminishing returns.  Still, having said that, I remain amazed at what $500 can buy today in the way of IQ compared to just a few years ago.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,304Gear list
Like?
In reply to ristar, 4 months ago

ristar wrote:

Lumixdude wrote:

Are you sure about that? I have never read anywhere that the GX7 has hybrid CDAF/PDAF. As far as I know, the E-M1 is the only Micro Four Thirds camera on the market with that feature.

Correct.

-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5
amalric
Like?
Re: Just more skilled at getting it right?

linux99 wrote:

dpalugyay wrote:

Or perhaps I'm just better at getting it right in the camera and not having to do gross post production with the RAW files.

Who knows?

Olympus, being and old, old hand has always had extremely good auto exposure. Because of the lacking DR of the old sensors up to 12 Mpx, they did underexpose however to protect highlights.

This is much less needed with the 16 Mpx sensor which has remarkable DR, therefore I decided to shoot only Jpeg. I think they bet this will be the future with the younger generation, that they shoot what they directly see, or communicate their emotions with Art Filters.

Personally I am all for great restraint, but one learns only trough mistakes

Skeeterbytes
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,328
Like?

Glen Barrington wrote:

-- hide signature --

E-30 remains a very good camera, but the OM-Ds have a lot more tricks up their sleeves. Until 1/8000 shutters there was a good reason to keep using the E bodies and even now the focus response is still faster. I'll try shooting sports with the E-M1 and we'll see.

No complaints about the E-30 from me, even now.

Cheers

Rick

-- hide signature --

"Whiskey is for drinking, digicams are for fighting over."
—Mark Twain

Jim Salvas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,848Gear list
Like?
Re: I remember it plenty.

dpalugyay wrote:

It's why I quit going there. Too many uppity ups looking down on m43. Amalric is not making up or imagining things.

I agree. The assumed superiority was almost laughable. I post there at times now that OM-Ds are "allowed" as subject matter, but a whiff of condescension lingers.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +7 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Nope. I enjoy post processing.

I never shoot jpeg.  The other half of the fun for me is the processing.  I find it very relaxing and enjoyable, especially in the cold winters when it's gray and -10 F outside.

You shouldn't ASSume so much, it makes you appear foolish.

linux99
Like?
You know it!

dpalugyay wrote:

I never shoot jpeg. The other half of the fun for me is the processing. I find it very relaxing and enjoyable, especially in the cold winters when it's gray and -10 F outside.

You shouldn't ASSume so much, it makes you appear foolish.

I take your word for it as being more experienced at looking foolish than I.

gandalfII
Senior MemberPosts: 1,344
Like?

Here are 3 different shots of the same subject: e30 + sg lens, em1 + hg or shg lens (can't remember), and epl1 + hg lens.  Make your own comparisons.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads