can i justify buying an RX100 mk2 to accompany my RX10 ?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
martinj68
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?
can i justify buying an RX100 mk2 to accompany my RX10 ?
5 months ago

Hi guys

I recently took the plunge and bought myself am RX10.

I'm finding it a superb camera for IQ and features, but it's BIG!

Having only ever owned compact cameras before, (HX5 and after that an HX9v) I thought Id'e go for more manual controls especially for video (as i no longer use a camcorder, it was a pain juggling between camcorder and camera while on holiday) and the RX10 certainly delivers.

Because of it's size and weight i'm now also tempted to buy the RX100 mk2 for when i want to travel light and shoot video without drawing attention to myself, but if i do go for the RX100 ii, will i still need the RX10 i ask myself, as the only difference i can see between the two cameras apart from the size is the the RX10 has a longer zoom.

So can anyone please explain to me any other useful differences between the two cameras apart from the zoom and size, for me to justify buying the RX100m2 and keep the RX10 too?

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ron AKA
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,875Gear list
Like?
Re: can i justify buying an RX100 mk2 to accompany my RX10 ?
In reply to martinj68, 5 months ago

I think a camera is a rational compromise between perfection and reality. I started with a simple Kodak point and shoot film camera, that was a real point and shoot. I needed more and more until I had a large camera bag of interchangeable lenses. My last 35mm film camera was an autofocus with a big mother of a flash. The first digital was an all in one bridge camera and almost took as much to carry it around. But as my priorities evolved, I found I used a small "point and shoot" more and more. And to be clear the point and shoot of today are a far cry from the real point and shoot cameras. That brings me to where I am with the RX100. Not even a temptation to trade up to the RX100II, and even less to the rumored M3. I've found the match between perfection and realistically what I am prepared to carry.

Ron AKA's gear list:Ron AKA's gear list
Sony RX100 Epson Stylus Photo R3000 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Mina J
Regular MemberPosts: 273Gear list
Like?

Hi Martin,

I purchased the RX10 to use instead of my Nikon D300 with multiple lenses. I love it and it will be the only camera I take on vacation.  I am able to travel more now, and I know I will put it to good use.  I also use it at social events and family functions.

You may want to consider how often you are going to use the larger camera.  If it is only once or twice a year then the smaller one may be a better investment.  I would only consider keeping both if it made sound financial sense to you.

If you are only going to keep one, keep the one that you want to use the majority of the time.

Hope this helps,

Mina

Mina J's gear list:Mina J's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Nikon D300
Slimoli
Regular MemberPosts: 208Gear list
Like?

The rumored RX100M3 seems to be a decent replacement for the RX10 IF longer zoom is not a must. I love my RX10 and bought a Lumix zs40 with a much longer zoom and compact size for travel. Picture quality , of course, is in a different realm due to the much smaller sensor.

bpjod
Contributing MemberPosts: 508Gear list
Like?

My first RX camera was the RX100. It's a good camera. It's fantastic considering it's size. My experiences with it convinced me to get the RX10 when it first came out. I love it. There are many things I prefer about it compared to the RX100. My RX10 is now my primary camera, but the RX100 still gets a lot of use when the small size factor is important. Why do I prefer the RX10? Here's a list off the top of my head:

Things I like about the RX10 that aren't on my RX100 but were added to the MkII version:

• Tiltable screen
  • Ability to use external flash

Things that are better on the RX10:

• Better Fn menu (more options to pick from and more slots to customize)
  • C button
  • AEL button
  • Exp Comp dial
  • Aperture ring
  • Manual focus ring
  • Rear dial for shutter speed/program shift
  • Threaded for mechanical shutter release cable
  • Detachable lens hood
  • Threaded for filters
  • Integrated EVF
  • Holds much better in the hands, like an SLR (hand grip and lens barrel)
  • 24-200mm zoom
  • Step zoom
  • Wider aperture at normal and tele focal lengths
  • Able to take photos much closer (better "macro")
  • Auto ISO in Manual mode
  • Zebra striping

Those are just a few quick reasons (not the entire list) off the top of my head why I much prefer shooting with the RX10. Sometimes I just want a pocket camera though so I still get a lot of use out of the RX100. If finances allow, get the RX100 and keep both. They compliment one another very well.

bpjod's gear list:bpjod's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III +13 more
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,978Gear list
Like?
The smaller Sony would make a nice complement to your RX10.

Although the RX100x would be a good complement, it certainly wouldn't replace it. The comment that the only difference between the cameras is the lens...nope. There are big differences in video capabilities. The RX10 offers no line-skipping exporting, mic and phone ports, fixed 2.8, etc. It's also weathersealed, and has such unique features as the video-friendly lens, lens-mounted aperture ring, etc.

The RX series is nice, and I considered buying one for the same reasons you cited, but didn't because of the slowness of the lens and the issues I mentioned above. The third version to be announced next week (?) may deal with some of those issues, especially the speed of the lens.

-- hide signature --

"Knowledge is good." Emil Faber

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,506Gear list
Like?

martinj68 wrote:

So can anyone please explain to me any other useful differences between the two cameras apart from the zoom and size, for me to justify buying the RX100m2 and keep the RX10 too?

One HUGE difference to me.....the RX10 is a constant f/2.8 aperture vs. the RX100/mk2 that goes out to f/4.9 at that long end.  That's pretty slow by comparison for it's ability to gather light in low light conditions.

Another BIG difference to me is the very nice EVF on the RX10; whereas, the RX100 m2 does not have one out of the box. 
Everyone else hit the other points for me.

Now, I do have an RX10 and came from larger and some smaller cameras. I see, and am considering the mark III (when it's available), as a COMPLIMENT to the RX10 for just the same reason.  I can toss it in my pocket and always have a nice little camera with me.  It can go anywhere

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (PM with Q's vs. a public post please)
http://www.kwaphoto.com

kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
NickRX100
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
In reply to kwa_photo, 5 months ago

I actually sold my RX100M2 after getting the RX10 as I hardly used it anymore. The wider 24mm on the RX10 makes it much more versatile and if I need something compact with amazing IQ I'm fortunate enough to also have a Ricoh GR (28 f/2.8) and if I need the best IQ possible an RX1 (35 f/2.0).

But overall, after owning a range of camera's including NEX5N and NEX6 with a range of lenses like the Zeiss 24 f/1.8, SEL18-200 I can say that the RX10 replaces all of this with ease. That lens makes up so much for the smaller sensor, it's fantastic!

NickRX100's gear list:NickRX100's gear list
Sony RX1 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 2,442Gear list
Like?

I have the RX100ii, and a Nex 5n. I find I am using both quite a lot. The RX100 is a fun camera, with plenty of power, so you're not left wanting. It's form factor is really nice when I just want to throw something in my pocket on a dash out of the door on a local walk for example. And also where I want more discretion and convenience.

Definitely justifiable in my opinion

-- hide signature --
 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
martinj68
Forum MemberPosts: 82Gear list
Like?

thanks guys, that's really helpful advice, i'm very tempted towards the rx100 to compliment my rx10 now.

If i sold my rx10 in favor of just a rx100m2 then i'm sure i'll miss the extra zoom and ease of easy control access, such as the exposure compensation dial, this i use a lot, and i'm not too keen on searcing for it in the menus as i think the rx100 has, my hx9 has iso, sutter speed, etc all in the menu, but it's a pain to find and alter when out and about taking pictures quickly.

Video is stunning on my rx10, im guessing a lot is to do with reading the whole sensor instead of line skipping.

They say video is also excellent on the rx100, so can someone please tell me if the rx100m2 also reads out the whole sensor?

Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,414Gear list
Like?
wait for RX100m3

At this point, you might as well wait for the RX100m3, which will have full-sensor read-out and encode with the much better XAVCs codec and have the 24-70/1.8-2.8 lens. If that doesnt work for your, then the m3 will drive down the price of the m2.

I have the RX10 and RX100 and use them both for different situations, the RX10 mainly for video since the better lens and built-in ND filters make a big difference for me. The RX100 is my carry everywhere camera and I often take it and another camera since its so small (e.g. RX10 or Nikon Df).

I dont think i will upgrade to the RX100m3 since it wont offer much improvement as a carry-everywhere camera.. and the RX10 form-factor is so much better for video use.

martinj68 wrote:

thanks guys, that's really helpful advice, i'm very tempted towards the rx100 to compliment my rx10 now.

If i sold my rx10 in favor of just a rx100m2 then i'm sure i'll miss the extra zoom and ease of easy control access, such as the exposure compensation dial, this i use a lot, and i'm not too keen on searcing for it in the menus as i think the rx100 has, my hx9 has iso, sutter speed, etc all in the menu, but it's a pain to find and alter when out and about taking pictures quickly.

Video is stunning on my rx10, im guessing a lot is to do with reading the whole sensor instead of line skipping.

They say video is also excellent on the rx100, so can someone please tell me if the rx100m2 also reads out the whole sensor?

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Nick46
New MemberPosts: 12Gear list
Like?
Re: wait for RX100m3
In reply to Jogger, 5 months ago

I Have the RX10 and the RX100 mk2. They compliment each other well in my view. RX10 brilliant, but RX100 mk2 good for travelling light with pictures of almost the same IQ. I suppose it's a bit of a luxury to have both, but if you can afford it do it!!!

Nick46's gear list:Nick46's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,977Gear list
Like?

martinj68 wrote:

I have an RX100 along with 2 full sized APS-C cameras. The only reason I own an RX100 is because of it's small size so I would say it's reason enough.

Sometimes I carry my A77 with a 70-300 (105-450 equiv) lens and the RX100 to cover the 28-100 range which gives me a full 28-450 in, for all intent and purposes, the size of just the A77. This of course isn't relevant to the RX10 but you can carry the RX100 everywhere and not even know it's there, something you can't do with the RX10

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
jonl9
Regular MemberPosts: 203Gear list
Like?
Re: wait for RX100m3
In reply to Nick46, 5 months ago

I already have the 100M2, how do I justify the RX10? (grin, I'm not the one needs convincing...)

jonl9's gear list:jonl9's gear list
Sony RX100 II Pentax K-7 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR +2 more
IT Troll
Forum MemberPosts: 71Gear list
Like?

How about picking up a cheap MK1 for the times when you need a pocket camera? At any other time you'd more likely to revert to the RX10 anyway.

IT Troll's gear list:IT Troll's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Apple iPhone 5 Apple iPad WiFi
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads