Monterey Grand Prix racing drivers

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Flyinmotion
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
Monterey Grand Prix racing drivers
6 months ago

Those racing cars and drivers stopped by my downtown this week and I took a few shoots of them.

Christof21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183
Like?
Re: Monterey Grand Prix racing drivers
In reply to Flyinmotion, 6 months ago

Flyinmotion wrote:

Those racing cars and drivers stopped by my downtown this week and I took a few shoots of them.

You were always at the limit of exposure: iso200, 1/4000, f1.4. But none of your pictures are over exposed, this is fine.

Nice pictures.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Herbieo
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?

Flyinmotion wrote:

Looks like a beautifully sunny day and warm with it, I know it's a British thing to comment on the weather but you would too if you lived here Great colours, OOC or tweaked in PP?

Can't put my finger on why but I like number 3, the green is pleasing to the eye and I like the glimpse inside the car.

On my screen the racing suit of the driver in the first picture looks strange. What DR mode were you using? The highlights are not clipped but the ruffles of the clothes where the highlights exist look un-natural.

Nice burnout picture too, may look good cropped in tighter!

Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Herbieo's gear list:Herbieo's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
Herbieo
Regular MemberPosts: 154Gear list
Like?
In reply to Herbieo, 6 months ago

Herbieo wrote:

Flyinmotion wrote:

Looks like a beautifully sunny day and warm with it, I know it's a British thing to comment on the weather but you would too if you lived here Great colours, OOC or tweaked in PP?

Can't put my finger on why but I like number 3, the green is pleasing to the eye and I like the glimpse inside the car.

On my screen the racing suit of the driver in the first picture looks strange. What DR mode were you using? The highlights are not clipped but the ruffles of the clothes where the highlights exist look un-natural.

Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Ignore my comment about the racing suit of the driver in 1st photo, I think it was my macbook's screen playing tricks on me, looks fine on my PC!

Herbieo's gear list:Herbieo's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +2 more
nalax
Regular MemberPosts: 492Gear list
Like?

Nice haircut!

nalax's gear list:nalax's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,612Gear list
Like?
In reply to nalax, 6 months ago

nalax wrote:

Nice haircut!

Punk's not dead! Kind of goes with the suit but it's murder getting his lid on.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Chuck Eklund
Regular MemberPosts: 482Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 6 months ago

The haircut is very nice and bet he gets lots of dates.

Chuck Eklund's gear list:Chuck Eklund's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +3 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,089Gear list
Like?
Missed Opportunities

I think you missed some opportunities based on your decisions.

Shutter speed for stationery subjects does not need to be 1/4000

F stop should be stopped down

Dynamic Range looks like it is set to Auto when it should be set to 100% in this situation.

I would have bracketed exposure or at minimum +1

Use a ND filter, at least 2 stops if the Sun is that bright.

Pretty much everything here I would have done different, but hey, if you like the shots that is all that matters. This series IMO had a lot more potential.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
carlk
Forum ProPosts: 15,921Gear list
Like?
Re: Missed Opportunities
In reply to ryan2007, 6 months ago

Why he should stop down again?

carlk's gear list:carlk's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
ryan2007
Like?
In reply to carlk, 6 months ago

carlk wrote:

Sunny 16 rule if you do not have a ND filter.

Subjects out of focus/soft

The ND filter is the one filter I would always have in the bag if I could only choose one.

Fujifilm X-T1
carlk
Like?

ryan2007 wrote:

carlk wrote:

Sunny 16 rule if you do not have a ND filter.

Subjects out of focus/soft

The ND filter is the one filter I would always have in the bag if I could only choose one.

That has nothing to do with if one wants to shoot at wide open for a reason (e.g. rid of ugly background).  He can always shoot the way he wants without using the ND filter long as it's not overexposed.

And why would you need to carry the ND filter if you are so willing to stop down?  Aren't you contradicting your own logic there?

Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 7D Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +6 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,846
Like?

ryan2007 wrote:

I think you missed some opportunities based on your decisions.

Shutter speed for stationery subjects does not need to be 1/4000

F stop should be stopped down

Dynamic Range looks like it is set to Auto when it should be set to 100% in this situation.

I would have bracketed exposure or at minimum +1

Use a ND filter, at least 2 stops if the Sun is that bright.

Pretty much everything here I would have done different, but hey, if you like the shots that is all that matters. This series IMO had a lot more potential.

Good suggestions. I would also corrected bloody blooming reds in the first picture and toned down the oversaturatted colors on the others.

fratiodan
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
In reply to carlk, 6 months ago

I would have to agree. I see no point in an nd filter for these shots. Maybe if they were overexposed, then sure. But...they aren't...

ryan2007
Like?
In reply to fratiodan, 6 months ago

fratiodan wrote:

I would have to agree. I see no point in an nd filter for these shots. Maybe if they were overexposed, then sure. But...they aren't...

So are they shooting auto exposure? Do they choose aperture or shutter priority. If you chose to shoot 1/4000 sec of a stationary subject this must be your/their first camera.

The exposure does not make any sense and yes, you need a ND filter to help and yes the exposure is overexposed.

Fujifilm X-T1
ThachLy
Regular MemberPosts: 213Gear list
Like?

Ryan2007,

Sometime a helpful advice is not appreciated. I agree with you.

To the OP, keep shooting and exploring, photography is fun. We all can learn from one another. This is why this forum is so good at. I think it's the biggest reason why I keep reading posts here.

ThachLy's gear list:ThachLy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +2 more
xah
xah
Regular MemberPosts: 144
Like?

Herbieo wrote:

Flyinmotion wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Chris

My guess is, that you like number 3 because of the colors (blue, orange and green)

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,701Gear list
Like?

Flyinmotion wrote:

Nice images.

I really like the way #3 frames the guy's head with the background's palm tree fronds.

carlk
Like?
In reply to ThachLy, 6 months ago

ThachLy wrote:

Ryan2007,

Sometime a helpful advice is not appreciated. I agree with you.

To the OP, keep shooting and exploring, photography is fun. We all can learn from one another. This is why this forum is so good at. I think it's the biggest reason why I keep reading posts here.

I agree with you too.  HELPFUL advice should be appreciated.

carlk
Like?

ryan2007 wrote:

If you chose to shoot 1/4000 sec of a stationary subject this must be your/their first camera.

Huh? I shoot 1/8000s of stationary subjects OFTEN with my 85/1.2 and I have owned more than a couple dozens cameras. Shutter speed control has two major functions you need to learn what the other one is.

Contributing MemberPosts: 877Gear list
Like?

LOL! You couldn't have done the palm frond hairdo better if you'd realized you were doing it. That photo is worth money - you ought to contact the driver to see how big a framed copy he'd like to buy, and if he doesn't have the humor for it then contact his friends to sell it.

94's gear list:94's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads