XT1 - how to enable focus tracking?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Dabbler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,308Gear list
Like?
XT1 - how to enable focus tracking?
2 months ago

I can't figure out how to enable focus tracking on my XT1. Although I found no mention of tracking in the manual I was under the impression this feature was one of the things that set the XT1 apart from the other X models. On my other cameras (D800, RX100 etc) I can set the focus rectangle on a moving object, enable tracking and have it follow that object even when it goes offcenter .

I typically shoot in single shot mode. When I set the camera to continuous focus no matter what autofocus area I choose I can't get the focus rectangle to lock on and follow an object.

Can someonee clue me in on what I'm missing here or am I  just dreaming that XT1 can do this.

Thanks for any ideas here.

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
Fujifilm X-T1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Edward Chatlos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,464Gear list
Like?
Re: XT1 - how to enable focus tracking?
In reply to Dabbler, 2 months ago

RTM?

Edward Chatlos's gear list:Edward Chatlos's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Dabbler
Like?
In reply to Edward Chatlos, 2 months ago

Firmware 1.00

-- hide signature --

Michael

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 +7 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,316Gear list
Like?

Let our Moderator demonstrate this: http://f-sunny.com/x-t1-focus-tracking-8-fps-burst-mode/

Enjoy!

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Dabbler
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 2 months ago

Thanks, good test report. However I don't consider this focus tracking, it appears to just be very good high speed autofocus. Focus tracking means the focus locks onto an object as it moves around the image frame so you can compose with the object offcenter. If focus tracking was really working the focus box would move with the object no matter where you point the camera. And it would stay locked on even if you weren't triggering the shutter at that instant.

I'm surprised I don't see this feature on the XT1 as my P&S RX100 and even my old Oly XZ1 can do this.

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler
Like?
In reply to Edward Chatlos, 2 months ago

Oh, you meant Read the Manual! I usually see RTFM for that Being a software engineer I thought you meant "Release to Manufacturing" which is an operating system version number. I also thought of Remember the Milk before your intent dawned on me. And if you'll note I mentioned in my OP I couldn't find anything on tracking in the manual.

-- hide signature --

Michael

slowhand73
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?

You could have then answered RT(F)OP

The only tracking I see it when Face Recognition is active (haven't try yet).

And of course the one is in the link above.

slowhand73's gear list:slowhand73's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +2 more
Andrew Koenig
Contributing MemberPosts: 562
Like?

I think that continuous focus mode is broken on the X-T1. At least, when I try to use it, it hunts constantly, even though the manual says that pressing the shutter release halfway should cause focus to lock on the current focus area. Interestingly, when I take pictures while the focus hunt is in progress, they always seem to come out sharp.

I will be surprised if this mode is not improved in a future firmware update.

Giklab
Regular MemberPosts: 196Gear list
Like?
In reply to Andrew Koenig, 2 months ago

Andrew Koenig wrote:

I think that continuous focus mode is broken on the X-T1. At least, when I try to use it, it hunts constantly, even though the manual says that pressing the shutter release halfway should cause focus to lock on the current focus area. Interestingly, when I take pictures while the focus hunt is in progress, they always seem to come out sharp.

I will be surprised if this mode is not improved in a future firmware update.

I think it's working as intended - continuously checking focus at that point. It might be confusing if it doesn't indicate focus lock though.

Jasko014
Regular MemberPosts: 349Gear list
Like?

Dabbler, I am also looking for the promised focus tracking function in XT-1. I actually thought, that when you freeze the moving subject in focus rectangle, the camera fill follow it at least in the group of 9 central rectangles. But it does not work, immediatelly when the target is out of chosen rectangle, camera looses the focus.

Camera focuses fast on moving subjects, if those stays within chosen rectangle, but this is not effective enough.

Maybe smith come with new firmware.

Jaka

Jasko014's gear list:Jasko014's gear list
Sony RX1R Nikon D3 Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon 1 V3 +14 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,316Gear list
Like?

I think that there's a misuse of terminology here which is leading people astray. From what I've read, the X-T1 will keep focus locked on a moving subject kept in the centre of the frame where the PDAF pixels are. Go outside of that area (9 AF points?) and it will let go.

With other systems mentioned, how do you "paint" (or "unpaint") your moving target?

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
jimbofoxman
Regular MemberPosts: 452Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jasko014, 2 months ago

The recovery is slow. Used it for hurdles this week with the 55-200. Burst over one hurdle was fine but letting up and then trying to burst over next hurdle doesn't work. My 7D and 70-200/2.8 blows it away in that respect. It just can't regain focus fast enough.

It did pretty good with long jump and shot put.

The screen refresh is slow for sports but it still captures the images.

Now maybe it's the 55-200 that can't handle it. I'm eagerly awaiting the 50-140/2.8.
--
http://www.hickoryhillphotography.com

jimbofoxman's gear list:jimbofoxman's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Brian_Downunda
Regular MemberPosts: 387
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 2 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

I think that there's a misuse of terminology here which is leading people astray. From what I've read, the X-T1 will keep focus locked on a moving subject kept in the centre of the frame where the PDAF pixels are. Go outside of that area (9 AF points?) and it will let go.

With other systems mentioned, how do you "paint" (or "unpaint") your moving target?

I think terminology is an issue.  There isn't focus tracking in the Nikon (and probably Canon) sense.  Even face recognition probably isn't tracking a face, just continuously looking for faces.

Rather what the X-T1 has is predictive autofocus.  Under certain situations the camera will predict in which direction a subject is moving and how fast and attempt to move focus as the subject moves, not after.

You get this in AF-C with CH modes.  This locks you into the centre 9 focus points.  What is not clear, and isn't clear from the manual, is whether you also get predictive focus in other combinations of modes if you restrict yourself to the centre 9 focus points.

A little more documentation from Fuji on whether this works in other modes would help.

Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,074Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian_Downunda, 2 months ago

Brian_Downunda wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

I think terminology is an issue. There isn't focus tracking in the Nikon (and probably Canon) sense. Even face recognition probably isn't tracking a face, just continuously looking for faces.

Rather what the X-T1 has is predictive autofocus. Under certain situations the camera will predict in which direction a subject is moving and how fast and attempt to move focus as the subject moves, not after.

You get this in AF-C with CH modes. This locks you into the centre 9 focus points. What is not clear, and isn't clear from the manual, is whether you also get predictive focus in other combinations of modes if you restrict yourself to the centre 9 focus points.

A little more documentation from Fuji on whether this works in other modes would help.

Correct.  I will add that it will hold focus on that moving object (as long as you keep it in the focus box, which does not move around the viewfinder) even if it passes behind closer objects, like light brush and tree branches, that would otherwise grab focus away from the subject.

Frankly, this does it for me.  I never expected it to move the focus box with the moving subject.  Does ANY camera do that?

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Brian_Downunda
Like?
In reply to Birddogman, 2 months ago

Birddogman wrote:

Frankly, this does it for me. I never expected it to move the focus box with the moving subject. Does ANY camera do that?

Mirrorless?  Not that I know of.  dSLR?  Yes.

Jasko014
Like?

Brian, thanks for clarification, I have question to that CH and AF C are clear. How do you set other AF parameters ? I am trying with Area and choosing one focus rectangle (1 of 9 middle ones). When I shoot with this rectangle covering the moving target I have a lot of keepers. But if I loose the target with the chosen rectangle and target is within the area of one of 8 middle sensors left, all the shots are unsharp. Predictive focus tracking in my Nikon D3 does follow the target within the group of sensors I choose (one of the possibilities).

Thx.

Jaka

Brian_Downunda
Like?

Jasko014 wrote:

How do you set other AF parameters ? I am trying with Area and choosing one focus rectangle (1 of 9 middle ones). When I shoot with this rectangle covering the moving target I have a lot of keepers. But if I loose the target with the chosen rectangle and target is within the area of one of 8 middle sensors left, all the shots are unsharp. Predictive focus tracking in my Nikon D3 does follow the target within the group of sensors I choose (one of the possibilities).

And that's the point, the X-T1 doesn't do focus tracking, only predictive focus. So it won't automatically switch from one focus square to another in order to keep the same subject. Perhaps make sure that the focus square is as large as possible?

TBH, I don't use this feature much so I'm not sure that this will work, but perhaps you could also try multi mode rather than area mode for selecting the focus point, when in AF-C and CH.

Brian_Downunda
Like?

Brian_Downunda wrote:

TBH, I don't use this feature much so I'm not sure that this will work, but perhaps you could also try multi mode rather than area mode for selecting the focus point, when in AF-C and CH.

Nope, that doesn't seem to work.  It uses points outside the nine PDAF ones, so it isn't doing predictive focussing in that case.  I guess you use a larger focus square, but maybe not the largest.

Jasko014
Like?

Brian, thanks, I tried in-between.

But one is interesting. When you put camera to AF C and CH and set Mode to area in the Menu, the inner 9 PDAF crosses are yellow marked, when you are choosing the focus rectangle. When you choose one of 9 and press OK, the yellow crosses are gone. Are they yellow highlighted only to show, which zone can be chosen for PDAF predictive focus ?

Jaka

helmus
Regular MemberPosts: 280Gear list
Like?
 helmus's gear list:helmus's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads