My biggest problem with my X-E2--the EVF

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Jim Cassatt
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,623Gear list
Like?
My biggest problem with my X-E2--the EVF
7 months ago

I think this is the nature of EVF's in general.  Yesterday I went to photograph the high water at Great Falls Park in Virginia.  It was a bright sunny day with the sun at my back.   The problem is that with this contrasty scene, it is hard to see detail in the EVF to the point that precise composition is difficult.  I confirmed this this morning.  I took some pictures of my back garden, again front lit by the morning sun.  I was in shadows.  Again I had trouble seeing details.  However, with my Canon 5D MKIII, no problem.  Sean Rein in his review of the X-T1 had the same problem.  It makes me wonder whether EVF's will be able to overcome this deficiency, namely that the dynamic range of the eye with an OVF is greater that any EVF.

-- hide signature --
 Jim Cassatt's gear list:Jim Cassatt's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Edward Chatlos
Senior MemberPosts: 2,765Gear list
Like?
Re: My biggest problem with my X-E2--the EVF
In reply to Jim Cassatt, 7 months ago

Why do you need to see DETAILS to compose the shot? Sorry I don't understand. In the same situation I would compose the shot in my mind and then check that in the viewfinder for left/right/up/down as to what I was capturing.

Pick out the central subject and place it in the viewfinder where you want it in the shot.

I will never go back to an OVF. It either makes the came to heavy and large or it is to restrictive in what you can do with it, like a Rangefinder style camera.

Edward Chatlos's gear list:Edward Chatlos's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
seukel
Regular MemberPosts: 491Gear list
Like?

Jim Cassatt wrote:

I think this is the nature of EVF's in general. Yesterday I went to photograph the high water at Great Falls Park in Virginia. It was a bright sunny day with the sun at my back. The problem is that with this contrasty scene, it is hard to see detail in the EVF to the point that precise composition is difficult. I confirmed this this morning. I took some pictures of my back garden, again front lit by the morning sun. I was in shadows. Again I had trouble seeing details. However, with my Canon 5D MKIII, no problem. Sean Rein in his review of the X-T1 had the same problem. It makes me wonder whether EVF's will be able to overcome this deficiency, namely that the dynamic range of the eye with an OVF is greater that any EVF.

-- hide signature --

Under such conditions the OVF of the X100 or the X-Pro1is a delight to use. Even the EVF of the X-T1 is not so good for sunny summer days, beaches or on winter snow. But this has of course already been discussed several times.

Peter

-- hide signature --

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
Oscar Wilde

Activatedfx
Contributing MemberPosts: 817
Like?

I find the X-E2 EVF to be far superior to the LCD for both composing, and image review. In bright sun I simply cup my left hand around the left side of the camera to shade the EFV. A bigger eyecup is definitely something Fuji should offer but, for now, a well-placed palm works!

Did you update the firmware to 2.0? It definitely makes the EVF more responsive.

Is your diopter adjusted correctly? I find that if it's even 1 "click" off from "sharp" for my eye, the EVF is less useful.

EugeneC
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list
Like?

Jim Cassatt wrote:

I think this is the nature of EVF's in general. Yesterday I went to photograph the high water at Great Falls Park in Virginia. It was a bright sunny day with the sun at my back. The problem is that with this contrasty scene, it is hard to see detail in the EVF to the point that precise composition is difficult. I confirmed this this morning. I took some pictures of my back garden, again front lit by the morning sun. I was in shadows. Again I had trouble seeing details. However, with my Canon 5D MKIII, no problem. Sean Rein in his review of the X-T1 had the same problem. It makes me wonder whether EVF's will be able to overcome this deficiency, namely that the dynamic range of the eye with an OVF is greater that any EVF.

-- hide signature --

FWIW, I think the XE-1 &2 EVF's are awful and well behind other makes such as Olympus and Sony. The XT-1 is good IMO..............for an EVF.

EugeneC's gear list:EugeneC's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +16 more
MayaTlab0
Senior MemberPosts: 1,045
Like?

Jim Cassatt wrote:

It's one of the things I too dislike with EVFs but I'm not sure even high dynamic range sensors can cover the most extreme contrasts one can see with the naked eye. No doubt technology will improve this situation, but even then, since EVFs are most of the time touted as a WYSIWYG experience, they mostly try to display the jpeg dynamic range curve that you'll get instead of the maximum dynamic range they can provide in raw for example.

Have you tried to adjust the shadow / highlight curves in the settings ? This can make a (very) small difference).

Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,268Gear list
Like?

Jim Cassatt wrote:

Put me down as another person who doesn't understand what your problem is composing with the EVF in bright light.

Are you having problems getting a good look at the EVF due to lack of an eye cup, letting light leak between the EVF and your eye? Does it take too long to go from looking at the bright scene directly and then looking into a dimmer EVF?  Are you trying to manually focus?

Please elaborate.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
Grumpyrocker
Regular MemberPosts: 241
Like?

Wear a hat.

seukel
Regular MemberPosts: 491Gear list
Like?
In reply to Grumpyrocker, 7 months ago

Grumpyrocker wrote:

Wear a hat.

What do you mean? A sombrero? Anything smaller won't help. And what if it's windy?

Peter

-- hide signature --

Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
Oscar Wilde

Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,617Gear list
Like?
In reply to seukel, 7 months ago

seukel wrote:

Grumpyrocker wrote:

Wear a hat.

What do you mean? A sombrero? Anything smaller won't help. And what if it's windy?

Peter

-- hide signature --

Oscar Wilde

Perhaps Fuji can offer an EVF super-sombrero accessory!  There is money to be made here!  Seriously though, a wide brim hat works fairly well in addition to controlling my UV exposure.  My dermatologist insists I use a wide brim hat when outdoors, and I agree it is good advice.

One of the first things I tried to do when I got my X-E1 was to remove that rubber thing surrounding the EVF view window.  No success.

That would be nice to have: standard eyecup mount as found on DSLRs, so aftermarket eyecup enhancements could be used (Hoodman, etc).

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
bs1946
Contributing MemberPosts: 942Gear list
Like?

Have you tried to adjust the LCD/EVF brightness level? Perhaps that will resolve your issue. I had an X-A1 and one of the issues was seeing the LCD in very bright light. Even with Fuji's LCD brightness feature engaged, it was still difficult. Just like people trying to read their smartphone and tablet screens. I have an X-E1 now and will never upgrade to a camera without a viewfinder, optical or electronic.

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon 1 V3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 +8 more
tecnoworld
Senior MemberPosts: 4,140Gear list
Like?
In reply to EugeneC, 7 months ago

If you consider them awful, try the evf in samsung nx cameras...fuji's evf is SO much better...

-- hide signature --

* Dear haters, you are now in my ignore list, so your hostile responses are probably not visible to me.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +12 more
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
In reply to tecnoworld, 7 months ago

Nonsense!

-- hide signature --

No Trolls in Norway: They all took the bus to DPR.

Jaberwok's gear list:Jaberwok's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11 Samsung NX20 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF +7 more
Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?

Jim Cassatt wrote:

-- hide signature --

Pretty sure if you EVF had trouble you shot would have been bad as well.  Yes you see what your eye sees with the OVF, but that isn't what the sensor sees.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
Jim Cassatt
Like?
In reply to Chad Hardy, 7 months ago

Every one has made some excellent points. First off the picture, shown above,  was fine. I could not see the detail in the water, nor on the rocks through the viewfinder.   When I checked for the same thing off my back deck, the scene was very contrasty, but I was standing on a shaded porch, so the problem was not light entering the viewfinder.  That picture was fine also.  Compared well with the picture shot with my canon 5D MKIII.

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X10 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 300D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +18 more
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,418Gear list
Like?
EVFs have upsides and downsides, like OVFs...

For sure, EVFs, although much better than even those from 2-3 years ago, still have their limits. And DR is one of them. I've taken many shots on bright days where the shadows looked absolutely black, but I've learned to trust that the detail will be there in the raw file. The EVFs in the XT1 and EM1 are much larger, and seemingly brighter than the one on the XE2, but they can also be difficult in some light and they can show too little DR as well.

But I shot with a DSLR again recently and, while I loved the big real view through the OVF, I found I missed the live view shooting experience more than I enjoyed the OVF. I really like having an idea of how the exposure controls I'm adjusting are going to effect the shot as I'm composing it, even if I can't see all of the detail. I actually felt a little hobbled by the big bright view not changing as I made various adjustments. And for manual focus, I definitely prefer the EVFs magnification and focus aids.

The best of both worlds would somehow be a hybrid finder that worked TTL so it could work with a full range of system lenses. The type of hybrid approach in the X-Pro and X100(s) is brilliant, but limited to a relatively small subset of lenses. And, of course loses some framing accuracy.

So, we each pick our poison. There's no perfect solution. Yet. And maybe never.  But we've never had more good options than we do today...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
We judge photographers by the photographs we see. We judge cameras by the photographs we miss - Haim Zamir
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Jim Cassatt
Like?
Re: EVFs have upsides and downsides, like OVFs...
In reply to Ray Sachs, 7 months ago

I totally agree with you.  There are times with I love the EV,F and times when I hate it.

-- hide signature --
jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,233Gear list
Like?
In reply to Grumpyrocker, 7 months ago

Grumpyrocker wrote:

Wear a hat.

Yup, baseball hat on bright sunny days.  Perhaps someone will come out with an eye cup for the X-E2.  I believe there is one for the X-T1.

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,268Gear list
Like?

Jim Cassatt wrote:

Every one has made some excellent points. First off the picture, shown above, was fine. I could not see the detail in the water, nor on the rocks through the viewfinder. When I checked for the same thing off my back deck, the scene was very contrasty, but I was standing on a shaded porch, so the problem was not light entering the viewfinder. That picture was fine also. Compared well with the picture shot with my canon 5D MKIII.

Given we don't have EVFs with 16MP to match the 16MP in-sensor nor do we have 10-bit color, I can see why the complete scene wouldn't show the subtle contrast and color you can preceive with a very good OVF.

However, EVFs have the ability to zoom in extremely close which is the best you are ever going to get for critical manual focusing. I use liveview on my 5D3 a lot when I got the camera mounted on a tripod.

The thing is, I find fast manual focusing on the 5D3 to be harder to do than on my old 5D2 or on an EVF with decent manual focusing features such as focus peaking. It's a pity the 5D3 doesn't support interchangeable focus screens.

Bottom line for me is that I while I do wish EVF tech to continue to improve, with the X-T1, EVF improvement is far from my highest priority.  So easy for me to adapt to the EVF and move on to other issues.

I still wish Fuji-X cameras to have improved AF speed; the ability to select AF points as effortless as can be done with the 5D3; better support for flash; etc.

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,869Gear list
Like?
In reply to Marcos Villaroman, 7 months ago

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

Jim Cassatt wrote:

Every one has made some excellent points. First off the picture, shown above, was fine. I could not see the detail in the water, nor on the rocks through the viewfinder. When I checked for the same thing off my back deck, the scene was very contrasty, but I was standing on a shaded porch, so the problem was not light entering the viewfinder. That picture was fine also. Compared well with the picture shot with my canon 5D MKIII.

Given we don't have EVFs with 16MP to match the 16MP in-sensor nor do we have 10-bit color, I can see why the complete scene wouldn't show the subtle contrast and color you can preceive with a very good OVF.

However, EVFs have the ability to zoom in extremely close which is the best you are ever going to get for critical manual focusing. I use liveview on my 5D3 a lot when I got the camera mounted on a tripod.

The thing is, I find fast manual focusing on the 5D3 to be harder to do than on my old 5D2 or on an EVF with decent manual focusing features such as focus peaking. It's a pity the 5D3 doesn't support interchangeable focus screens.

Bottom line for me is that I while I do wish EVF tech to continue to improve, with the X-T1, EVF improvement is far from my highest priority. So easy for me to adapt to the EVF and move on to other issues.

I still wish Fuji-X cameras to have improved AF speed; the ability to select AF points as effortless as can be done with the 5D3; better support for flash; etc.

I would never go back to an OVF.  A shoot a lot of landscapes, many of them multi-row stitched so I need (and enjoy) manual focus.  The nice big OVF in my 5DII was useless for critical manual focus so I always used live view.  Trying to see focus on an LCD on the back of the camera is much more difficult than having live view in the viewfinder.  The new FW update has increased the peaking focus aid dramatically IMO, and the velvet-smooth frame rate is a nice bonus.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads