Front filter for lens-UV or clear glass?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Normo
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Front filter for lens-UV or clear glass?
4 months ago

I am getting the kit 18-55mm lens and want to put a filter on the front.  I have been looking at B&W filters and have probably been reading too much.  Do most of you use a UV / haze reducing filter or just plain clear glass.  B&W makes some expensive and high quality filters and wondered what most of you Fuji users employ.  I am getting a XE1 with the kit lens at a good price ( thanks to members of the forum for a heads up) and want to protect the lens and images as best as I can.  Thanks  Norm

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Cadder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,417
Like?
Re: Front filter for lens-UV or clear glass?
In reply to Normo, 4 months ago

I have B&W Nano clear, on all my lenses.I don't find that they cause any problems.

Cadder

You can get them for about $45 on eBay. (Best eastern has them.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill Robb
Senior MemberPosts: 3,332
Like?

Normo wrote:

I am getting the kit 18-55mm lens and want to put a filter on the front. I have been looking at B&W filters and have probably been reading too much. Do most of you use a UV / haze reducing filter or just plain clear glass. B&W makes some expensive and high quality filters and wondered what most of you Fuji users employ. I am getting a XE1 with the kit lens at a good price ( thanks to members of the forum for a heads up) and want to protect the lens and images as best as I can. Thanks Norm

I don't use filters at all except for when I need them for a particular effect (polarizer, for example). If I was going to be shooting in a steel mill, I might consider a protective filter, but for day to day use, no, the lens hood provides more protection.

I don't think you will see much difference, if any, between a UV filter and a clear glass one.

Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 1,794
Like?

Normo wrote:

I am getting the kit 18-55mm lens and want to put a filter on the front. I have been looking at B&W filters and have probably been reading too much. Do most of you use a UV / haze reducing filter or just plain clear glass. B&W makes some expensive and high quality filters and wondered what most of you Fuji users employ. I am getting a XE1 with the kit lens at a good price ( thanks to members of the forum for a heads up) and want to protect the lens and images as best as I can. Thanks Norm

Use the front filter judiciously. You may not need it all the time, in fact you may find that you don't need it most of the time. However, if it gives you peace of mind, use it by all means.

All that said, if you do want to use a filter, it's best to use a neatral colour filter, as UV filtering is not necessary for digital sensors.

And use a high quality one in order to minimise any detrimental effect on image quality. In most circumstances you will not be able to tell appart images taken with or without the filter. You will want to take some care when photographing into the light with a filter on, as the additional glass surfaces could be the source of internal reflections.

I use Nikon NC filters of the appropriate size (in this case 58mm) or Hoya Super HMC Pro1 UV(0) grade filters. They are both top quality items. There may be others, but I never needed to use anything else, so I have no first hand expereience with any of those.

You cannot get confused with the Nikon filter as they only make the one grade of NC filters. Hoya on the other hand, make many different grades. Super HMC Pro1 is their top model, and I would not consider buying the lesser grades from them. Super HMC is the name of the multi coating they use on the glass, and Pro1 is the designation for the thin metal ring they use.

Good luck with your new camera.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,502Gear list
Like?

Normo wrote:

Just a note: the ampersand is not used in the name of the B+W products. It's a trade name.

I'm one of those who like using a clear filter on all my lenses. If nothing else, they help keep the front lens element clean. Out of habit I use UV filters; the clear protective filters will render the same effect on a digital camera, so it's just a matter of personal preference which one to select.

As mentioned, it's not a good idea to put a cheap or inexpensive filter on an expensive lens; such filters can degrade image quality. To protect my lenses, and the images I'm recording, I've opted for the B+W Nano MRC filters. They're made with the same quality glass used in my Fuji lenses, and the protective coatings used are as good or better than the coatings used by Fuji on the lenses. In the case of the Nano coated filters, this is a superior feature that really does make it quick and easy to keep the filter surface clean and streak free.

B+W has been a top line optics supplier for many decades. Their reputation is based on consistency made possible by extremely high quality control standards and practices. All of their filters come in very nice brass rings. I do use other brands of filters for specific effect filters, but for protective filters and polarizer filters I prefer the B+W brand.

Dave Chilvers
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,174Gear list
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 4 months ago

I always use a filter to prevent having to clean and touch the front elements, I live near the coast and most of my walks are near the sea and you do get a fine mist at times.

I`ve tried both clear and UV and in all honesty as long as you don`t buy the e bay £5 jobbies you`ll be fine.

I did some testing a while back between filters priced between £40 and up to £100 and I couldn`t see any difference in the images.

You won`t go far wrong with Hoya pro1 slim or Kenko Zeta slim.

Dave

-- hide signature --

I feel so much better now that I've given up Hope
http://www.pbase.com/davechilvers/latest_images

Dave Chilvers's gear list:Dave Chilvers's gear list
Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E1 +8 more
OldPhil
New MemberPosts: 21Gear list
Like?

I've been using the UV-haze B+W Nano MRC filters; the coating is extremely scratch resistant. Many people trade in lens with the filters, which are then sold separately by the store. I've been able to buy like new filters for 1/2 to 2/3 of the price of new filters from the larger online sources.

OldPhil's gear list:OldPhil's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Tom Schum
Senior MemberPosts: 3,425Gear list
Like?
In reply to OldPhil, 4 months ago

Hoya HD and HD2 are good.  Supposedly very tough.

Sigma makes filters also.   Sigma DG filters have a very good coating but not as much a selection as you might like..  If you can see the filter the coatings are not good enough.  Sigmas are good, and priced reasonably.

I prefer UV filters but I really don't have any good reasons why.  One possible reason is that less UV into the lens is less light refracting differently through the lens.

I think B+W makes UV+IR filters too, which restrict the spectrum to the visible range.  They are quite pricey, so I haven't tried any.  IR blocking is good, because it improves on the existing IR blocking taking place just in front of the sensor.  Any IR reaching the sensor will become visible in the image.  It's hard to say if UV will be visible or not but my guess is the image will be better without it.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +5 more
TonyB51
Regular MemberPosts: 116Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tom Schum, 4 months ago

I use clear glass.

Fuji's own are nice

http://shop.fujifilm.co.uk/accessories/protector-filters?dir=asc&order=price

..but a bit expensive.

Otherwise, as others have said, the Hoya top-of-range stuff.

TonyB51's gear list:TonyB51's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +2 more
ryan2007
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,504Gear list
Like?

With all digital cameras you do not need a UV filter. The clear protective filter is all you need.  UV was designed for Film based cameras as I have come to understand the difference.

So, get a multi-coated filter.

Heliopan IMO is a step above B&W and the Kasseman (spelling) version of the B&W filters are at least equal to heliopan and a step above the standard B&W versions.

Only spend the money on a Multi-Coated filter and more money in proportion to the cost of the lens.  If you took the time to buy a $2,000 lens don't put a cheap filter on that, but you do not need a UV filter unless maybe you live in the mountains where it may help.

ryan2007's gear list:ryan2007's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
Patrick T. Kelly
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,058Gear list
Like?
In reply to ryan2007, 4 months ago

I'm with Robb and use filters as filters. I am a fanatic about using my lens caps. If I'm moving, my lens cap is on. The filter I use most often is the polarizing filter. I have some ND filters I use on occasion.

-- hide signature --

Patrick T. Kelly
Oaxaca, Mexico

Dabbler
Senior MemberPosts: 1,405Gear list
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 4 months ago

+1 for B+W clear filters

-- hide signature --

Michael

Dabbler's gear list:Dabbler's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 RX100 III Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
bs1946
Regular MemberPosts: 361Gear list
Like?

I have the 18mm and 35mm lenses. Both take a 52mm filter and you can get a Fuji 52mm clear protection filter for $9.95. I am assuming that the filter is of the same quality as the front glass on the lens. Any other size and the price jumps up to around $50.

bs1946's gear list:bs1946's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads