+++++ Your and your love affair with your m43 - results this week! +++++

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,968Gear list
Like?
Re: Once we made things here . . . or you could call it …
In reply to brentbrent, 7 months ago

… the insanity of unfettered capitalism and "free" market.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
KyleSlamchez
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
Needs a Lamppost
In reply to Hen3ry, 7 months ago

KyleSlamchez's gear list:KyleSlamchez's gear list
Sigma DP1x Sigma DP2s Pentax K20D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-01 +7 more
genesys9
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
Door of Illusion - Color and B&W

genesys9's gear list:genesys9's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R
Hen3ry
Like?
Re: Door of Illusion - nice! jums back and forth! nt
In reply to genesys9, 7 months ago

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Hen3ry
Like?
Re: Mooning the sun - which lens and much of a crop, martin?
In reply to Martin.au, 7 months ago

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

kevinparis
Contributing MemberPosts: 595
Like?
From a Maui Garden - E-M1 and 4/3 50 macro and 50-200

I had forgotten how good these 'old' lenses are with the E-M1

the first and last are the 50mm, the rest are the 50-200

there are some more here

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/sets/72157644044532509/

All processing in Aperture and Aperture only

cheers

K

-- hide signature --

if you really must see my photos then try
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinparis2007/

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,418Gear list
Like?
Re: I do like the nature shots, Jaly, but …

Hen3ry wrote:

…but you're doing what I used to do and am gradually getting out of the (bad) habit of doing.

You are failing to take advantage of your sensor's variable ISO.

In the shot of the hawk -- which is outstanding -- you think you need a better lens and/or a tripod. Nope -- the first thing you need is to get off base ISO. ISO 800 for that shot would have raised your shutter speed by two steps which would have put you in the "safe" speed zone.

You are correct, and I absolutely should have bumped the ISO.  I have to remember that these cameras are completely capable of doing good things above base ISO when needed, and especially in good light.  Hard to break old habits, you know!

As it is, you have taken this great pic at barely safe shutter speed -- the fraction of a second with a denominator approximately equal to the focal length as 35mm equiv (i.e. 600mm in this case). The "safe" speed back in the day was always considered to be double the focal length -- and anyone using a long lens hand-held was advised to double it again because long lenses are so unhandy.

But I do rally love that shot!

Thank you!  He flew up to that perch right as I got to my vantage point, so I got a lot of shots of him.  This particular one of him with his foot up was my favorite.  He stayed there for about 15 minutes or so, until a group of redwing blackbirds started dive bombing him and chased him away!  (I got only one blurry shot of him leaving, since the camera focused on the tree branches between me and him...and he was moving too fast for me to focus manually...oh well!).

Now to figure out what is going on with the weird bokeh thing that this lens is doing....which it didn't before a few weeks ago (have been checking my old photos from it this AM).  Probably needs a repair of some sort....

-J

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Like?
Re: In town and in the wild.
In reply to GeorgianBay1939, 7 months ago

GeorgianBay1939 wrote:

Nice!

The above 3 are my favorites. The lower two are very delicate, typical of spring, as the buds are starting to burst giving a variety of pastels. Some Art Style (That I no longer remember) mimics that texture/colour.

The first one, of the hawk, was taken at a good distance, something like the Sandhill that I took last year. Anders W. and minniev helped me a lot to understand the nature of that bokeh in a few exchanges:

Preliminary discussion: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51333030

This gets into the guts of it: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51352987

These are great links, thank you!

I have been going over my photos from a year ago with this lens compared to those from the past few weeks, and the ones from a year ago do NOT have this problem at all, so I think it might be something other than "normal" nisen-bokeh.  It also is present in both short and long OOF areas, and in front of as well as behind the subject.  (In other words, I suspect that something that supports the floating elements in the lens may be out of kilter).

I'm going through my shots now to sort out some good examples, and I will start a new thread on the forum to see if anyone has run into this before.  I strongly suspect, however, that the lens is going to need a trip to McAllan, Texas .

Several of us had a rousing good discussion with the sharing of links and good ideas!

I am sure that reading the above will help. At least it will convince you that a tripod would be of minimal value in the case of the hawk, (shot at 1/800 sec). ( Looking at that bokeh, I am guessing that the brush is about 10-20 yards behind the hawk. And the hawk is at about 60 yards away. Right?)

Yes, absolutely, but it does it to close up backgrounds, too.

I hope that this is helpful.

Yes, very :)!

Tom

PS Did you find any wild hazelnuts in your travels?

Not yet...these are all still taken with me not IN the woods, but on the shore opposite where the wildlife is....I do plan to get out to a real wildlife area sometime in the next week or so, though, and I will be looking for them (not sure if they will still be blooming, but worth a shot   ).

-J

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Like?
In reply to yyr, 7 months ago

Thanks, Yaelle!

I was trying to capture that delicate detail of early spring in a woodsy area.  There is so much going on with light, subtle color and detail this time of year, that it makes places like this have a magical character, and that was what I was after.  It's too bad it only lasts a couple of weeks; it's so pretty when the plants come back to life!

-J

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Like?
In reply to Wormsmeat, 7 months ago

IWormsmeat wrote:

#2 is a fantastic shot - I particularly like the reflected sky / shape in the window emphasising the figure. Maybe try another shot emphasising the Push Hard sign from a different angle?

#3 is a good 'un too.

Thanks!  I really like that store front...something about the curved glass on the end panel..  Every time I go by it, I keep thinking that if anything happened to that particular pane of glass, it would be prohibitively expensive to replace...and I keep my fingers crossed that nothing happens to it.

I think I would need a wider lens to get the whole storefront and the door in the same photo.  There's not a lot of room to work with in front of the store before I would end up bumping into the parked cars on the curb or out in the (busy) street.  If I ever get a fisheye, this might be a place to experiment with it, too (combo of that curved window and the fisheye effect...hmmm   ).

I have been trying to shoot #3 for a couple of years now, and this is the first time that I have gotten an image that I really like from it.  It has a lot of interesting things going on. Doesn't hurt that the 12-40mm lens has very good corner sharpness either....it's one of the reasons I think I was able to capture it well this time.

-J

bahamot
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Re: Working site - Yay! Mud bricks! I built a whole house…

Hen3ry wrote:

…house out of mud bricks in Australia in the 1980s -- and I mde every brick by hand on site too. It looked similar to your picture, Baha, only I was on the side of a hill.

Happy days. Bl**dy heavy work too. I must have been mad!

I meant to document it photographically, but:

1. After or even during a day's work on with mud bricks, I simply didn't have the energy
  2. Halfway through the job I had to sell my dual Oympus OM1 plus lenses, etc., outfit to finance the septic tank and general drainage.

Fond(?) memories!

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

It must be really tough experience but those the one made us "man of steel"

Too bad you've to sell your lenses back then, I bet those would mount nicely on your m4/3 gears.

-- hide signature --
 bahamot's gear list:bahamot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +10 more
evadim
Junior MemberPosts: 39Gear list
Like?
Re: Three-legged Men, Three-wheeled Truck

Love #3. Spent few minutes to understand how...

evadim's gear list:evadim's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +2 more
zenfr2009
Contributing MemberPosts: 981Gear list
Like?
Re: Not completely satisfied with my two lenses ...
In reply to zenfr2009, 7 months ago

They are actually good but just good enough and don't have a special touch that make them very special and very good.

zenfr2009's gear list:zenfr2009's gear list
Leica X1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X100S Nikon D300S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +1 more
yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 3,335
Like?
Re: +++++ Your and your love affair with your m43 - results this week! +++++

Wormsmeat wrote:

Well I like it. I've been playing with postcards to see if a crop at the very top of the glass of the bottom window would help too. Maybe four windows would lose some of the distracting houses. Or blur them a bit. Good shot anyhoo.

Square crop? Quite different from where I started....

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 4,056Gear list
Like?

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
kiwigirl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,375Gear list
Like?
Re: Needs a Lamppost
In reply to KyleSlamchez, 7 months ago

Took me a moment - then had a good laugh!  Great shot

KyleSlamchez wrote:

kiwigirl's gear list:kiwigirl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +5 more
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,596Gear list
Like?
Re: Mooning the sun - which lens and much of a crop, martin?

Hen3ry wrote:

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

Oly 75-300

i think it's cropped to around 4Mp.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Wormsmeat
Senior MemberPosts: 5,161Gear list
Like?
In reply to yyr, 7 months ago

Not much in it but I think I prefer it.

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Wormsmeat
Senior MemberPosts: 5,161Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ontario Gone, 7 months ago

#3 is a lovely shot. Great fun.

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
VBester
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael L NYC 99, 7 months ago

My first time out with the 75 and I was trying to see how shallow the DOF could be, but I totally agree that it should have stopped down to f2.8 or even f4.

-- hide signature --

All politicians are scum

VBester's gear list:VBester's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads