Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,743Gear list
Like?
+++++ Your and your love affair with your m43 - results this week! +++++
5 months ago

The rools are the rools:

1. Take a photo or seven
  2. Post same in this thread
  3. When you post your pix, do so by resoponding to THIS first post, and …
  4. … giving your post YOUR OWN SUBJECT LINE that befits (more or less*) the contents
  5. Sit back and enjoy praise and/or constructive criticism of your work
  6. Provide similarly friend and helpful C&C to other posters.

At about post 120, someone will start a part 2 of this thread. If so post new pix there from then on, but continue to post C&C on this thread until it maxes out.

* Puns, word play, and fun generally are highly acceptable too.

Cheers, geoff2

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,743Gear list
Like?
Look out, ladies with betel nut coming through!
In reply to Hen3ry, 5 months ago

On the beach at Kavieng, New Ireland, on Saturday morning -- market day -- a "banana boat", an outboard powered 26 foot fibreglass (or whatever) job, has just come in with a load of market goods including freshly harvested betel nut.

Buyers rushed the betel nut to stock their street stalls where they sell betel nut, cigarettes, village cured tobacco, and "flex" -- cheap mobile phone prepaid cards. There are lots of variations on what stalls stock, but these are the basics.

But whatever else, the stall must have betel nut to attract customers so for stall holders, getting their supply for the day is essential.

These two ladies didn't wait for the betel nut to come ashore, they waded thigh deep to buy it right off the boat.

The G6 with the 12-35 fitted.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Wormsmeat
Senior MemberPosts: 4,482Gear list
Like?
Three-legged Men, Three-wheeled Truck
 Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Wormsmeat
Like?
Re: Look out, ladies with betel nut coming through!

Ah, good morning H!

Great character in the LHS face.

I don't know much about Betel nuts (actually I know nothing*) but to me they don't look very ripe. Do they have to be cooked / processed in any way or are they already edible at that stage?

* I actually seem to recall something sinister about them.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Wormsmeat
Like?
Answered my own question...
In reply to Wormsmeat, 5 months ago

Hmm - from CNN:-

Yangon, Myanmar (CNN) -- Heavy users of betel quids reveal their addiction when they smile. Their teeth are stained a reddish-black, dyed from years of chewing potent parcels of areca nuts and tobacco, wrapped in a lime-coated betel leaf.

"Some people after they eat they're drinking coffee or tea; always after eating I'm chewing the betel nut. I like it," says Myo Min Than, a 28-year-old noodle seller at a market in Myanmar's largest city, Yangon.

Like tea or coffee, betel quids -- or "nuts" as they're often referred to -- give users a lift. But unlike tea or coffee, they also give them oral cancer.

"Having one is okay, but the danger increases when you start having the second one. When you reach a certain point, people will get cancer," said Professor Ying-chin Ko, vice president of China Medical University in Taiwan who conducted some of the first studies into the link between betel quids and oral cancer in the 1990s.

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,189Gear list
Like?
In town and in the wild.

Some more shots with the GX7. It was sunny this afternoon, for a change, by the time I got into Troy, so there was some nice light on some of the buildings. Unfortunately, it was still variably cloudy when I took the nature shots before that...

-J

I particularly like the sign on the door...it adds something. Not sure what, but something..

Lots of texture in this one...two different kinds of privacy glass in this window!

I wish I had a better 300mm lens...but a tripod would have helped too

A little Zen

Well, kind of a mundane subject, but he posed just over my head, so why not...

bahamot
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list
Like?
Working site

Working site. GX7+35-100mm/f2.8 @ 89mm/f2.8 1/2500s ISO200

-- hide signature --
 bahamot's gear list:bahamot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +10 more
Wormsmeat
Like?
Re: In town and in the wild.
In reply to jalywol, 5 months ago

#2 is a fantastic shot - I particularly like the reflected sky / shape in the window emphasising the figure. Maybe try another shot emphasising the Push Hard sign from a different angle?

#3 is a good 'un too.

kiwigirl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,357Gear list
Like?
Autumn (fall) shots

Autumn in NZ now, so a few shots from Marlborough gardens. (Definitely not my gardens!)

All taken with the amazing little 9-18mm.  Never fails to amaze me how well it controls flare, sans lens hood.  So small and light and some fun compositions to be had.

Backlight no problem for the 9-18!

Some nice patterns in the chairs

kiwigirl's gear list:kiwigirl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +5 more
NCV
NCV
Contributing MemberPosts: 908Gear list
Like?
Po

Some pictures from my visit to the Po last week.

They are of a navigation museum I visited at Boretto plus a couple of sunsets I posted last week but decided to revisit using the excellent Picture Window Pro retouching program.

The weathers been too rotten to get out and do some new stuff here in sunny Italy where it seems to rain all the time.

Boretto, Reggio Emilia italy

Boretto, Reggio Emilia Italy

Boat bridge terminal, Boretto

Mural Guastalla

Now as we say in Italy: "La minestra riscaldato"

Guastalla, Reggio Emilia

Guastalla, Reggio Emilia

http://nigelvoak.blogspot.it/

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5
schirmer
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?
Quiet vulcano crater

This crater at Meerfeld, Germany is roughly 30000 years old. No wind and no bird for just a few minutes.

Takes you some time to get to this scenic view. Not perfect due to back light and my build in hand held panorama mode still isn't perfect

-- hide signature --

Many would never speak with a full mouth, but do it with an empty head.
(Orson Welles)

yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 2,803
Like?
Re: +++++ Your and your love affair with your m43 - results this week! +++++

Haven't had much time in the last couple of weeks.

This one taken in the office

I like this street level view of Canary Wharf (taken from Mudchute where the ordinary people live)

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Contributing MemberPosts: 632Gear list
Like?
Eva is a happy girl

Visiting her grandfather ...

-- hide signature --
 Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list:Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
SkiHound
Senior MemberPosts: 1,242
Like?
A bridge to nowhere

Stepping Stone Falls in West Greenwich, RI.

NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,416Gear list
Like?
The obligatory sunset shot ...

Hen3ry wrote:

The rools are the rools:

1. Take a photo or seven
  2. Post same in this thread
  3. When you post your pix, do so by resoponding to THIS first post, and …
  4. … giving your post YOUR OWN SUBJECT LINE that befits (more or less*) the contents
  5. Sit back and enjoy praise and/or constructive criticism of your work
  6. Provide similarly friend and helpful C&C to other posters.

At about post 120, someone will start a part 2 of this thread. If so post new pix there from then on, but continue to post C&C on this thread until it maxes out.

* Puns, word play, and fun generally are highly acceptable too.

I hadn't tried Photomerge in CS6 yet, so took some sunset shots off the balcony to give it a whirl. This was four shots, I think, taken vertically with the 12/2.0 and then stitched. Sunsets are often like this in Ipoh - if I was even remotely religious I think I would feel blessed.

S

Cheers, geoff2

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scottkmacleod/
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 12-35 f2.8, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
NZ Scott
Like?
Re: Look out, ladies with betel nut coming through!

A nice shot - and a nice slice of life story to go with it, Geoff!

S

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:
My kit: E-P3, 12/2.0, 17/1.8, 45/1.8, 60/2.8 Macro, 7.5 Fisheye, 12-35 f2.8, 14-42 IIR, 40-150 ED, 75-300 II

Sony QX1 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +10 more
NZ Scott
Like?
In reply to jalywol, 5 months ago

jalywol wrote:

Some more shots with the GX7. It was sunny this afternoon, for a change, by the time I got into Troy, so there was some nice light on some of the buildings. Unfortunately, it was still variably cloudy when I took the nature shots before that...

-J

Is your 300mm a mirror lens? It looks like you've done a good job technically - nailed the focus and all that - but that bokeh smells of mirror.

I wish I had a better 300mm lens...but a tripod would have helped too

A little Zen

Well, kind of a mundane subject, but he posed just over my head, so why not...

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:

NZ Scott
Like?
Re: Autumn (fall) shots
In reply to kiwigirl, 5 months ago

Makin' me homesick, girl!

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:

NZ Scott
Like?
Re: Po
In reply to NCV, 5 months ago

NCV wrote:

Some pictures from my visit to the Po last week.

They are of a navigation museum I visited at Boretto plus a couple of sunsets I posted last week but decided to revisit using the excellent Picture Window Pro retouching program.

The weathers been too rotten to get out and do some new stuff here in sunny Italy where it seems to rain all the time.

I love the tones in this shot:

Boretto, Reggio Emilia Italy

Boat bridge terminal, Boretto

Mural Guastalla

Now as we say in Italy: "La minestra riscaldato"

Guastalla, Reggio Emilia

Guastalla, Reggio Emilia

http://nigelvoak.blogspot.it/

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:

jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,189Gear list
Like?
In reply to NZ Scott, 5 months ago

NZ Scott wrote:

jalywol wrote:

-J

Is your 300mm a mirror lens? It looks like you've done a good job technically - nailed the focus and all that - but that bokeh smells of mirror.

No, oddly enough this is the 100-300mm.  For the past few weeks I have noticed it has had this really, really weird bokeh (which you are seeing here).  It's always tilted to the left and down, and looks like rain falling at an angle in the OOF areas.  It occurs on all my cameras, and does not seem to matter whether I have OIS on or off.  I was going to post a question to the forum about it, actually, to see if anyone else has seen this on this lens.  And, no, I have not dropped it or anything...and it does it whether the UV filter is on or off, so that's not it.  Weird, huh?

-J

-- hide signature --

My Flickr stream:

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads