Started 7 months ago | Discussions
photo perzon
Senior MemberPosts: 3,723Gear list
Like?
Will 35mm cropped do instead of 56?
7 months ago

I do few portraits...can I push it?

photo perzon's gear list:photo perzon's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
areichow
Senior MemberPosts: 1,474Gear list
Like?
Re: Will 35mm cropped do instead of 56?
In reply to photo perzon, 7 months ago

Sure, why wouldn't it?
--
<a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/diogenic/">flickr</a>

areichow's gear list:areichow's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD1000 Sony RX100 NEX5R Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
RusYus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,328
Like?

fuji 35 has beautiful bokeh. should be just fine for portraits.

Peter Jonas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,060
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

You can always try and you may also succeed most of the time.

But just be aware, that with the 35mm on occasion you may have to get too close to your subject, and might start noticing unnatural perspective in ther subsequent images evidenced by big noses and fat lips.

To prevent this happening, you may have to stay further away, and crop the image later to restore the desired composition.

Try a few things and see how you like it.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Christof21
Senior MemberPosts: 1,221
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

When cropping, it will behave just like a crop sensor. If you have a f1.8 lens, it will be equivalent to a f2.9 lens when you crop the image.

What you are loosing is the max aperture and resolution.

mooshoepork
Regular MemberPosts: 205
Like?
In reply to Christof21, 7 months ago

photo perzon wrote:

When cropping, it will behave just like a crop sensor. If you have a f1.8 lens, it will be equivalent to a f2.9 lens when you crop the image.

Uh wut?

You're just losing resolution...

Christof21
Like?
In reply to mooshoepork, 7 months ago

mooshoepork wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

Uh wut?

You're just losing resolution...

Do you think you would have the same results as a 56mm f1.8 ?? You are loosing more than the resolution, the photo will be noisier and will have deeper dof.

It is the same rules than with a crop sensor. f2.9 is the equivalent aperture (in terms of resulting image)

XPro10
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?

I like to shoot horizontal, then crop the sides to make a vertical portrait with this lens. You lose resolution but thats ok for portraits, still plenty left.

wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,792Gear list
Like?
In reply to Christof21, 7 months ago

Christof21 wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

That's incorrect.

Aperture is a mathematical ratio specific to the lens it is calculated for. The aperture of a lens on a full frame sensor will be the same when the lens is mounted on an APS-C sensor.

What changes on a lens with a crop sensor is the field of view and the depth of field.

darngooddesign
Senior MemberPosts: 1,670Gear list
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

That depends on how much bokeh and surrounding background you want. Rent the lens and decide for yourself.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Christof21
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 7 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

Christof21 wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

That's incorrect.

Aperture is a mathematical ratio specific to the lens it is calculated for. The aperture of a lens on a full frame sensor will be the same when the lens is mounted on an APS-C sensor.

What changes on a lens with a crop sensor is the field of view and the depth of field.

I am talking about equivalence, about resulting image if you want (this is what matters !)

Take a portrait with a 35mm lens at f1.8 and crop to have the fov of a 56mm. Take the same portrait with a 56mm f1.8 lens. And compare.

Dof will be shallower with the 56mm lens, it will be also less noisy... In fact, by cropping, the result will be "as if" you had shot with a 56mm f2.9 with less resolution.

Sometimes it is difficult to tell the truth in a forum :-). Even if I post pictures demonstrating the effects of crop, there will be always some people that will deny equivalence (a really misunderstood concept)

MrChristopher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,029Gear list
Like?

You'll likely see some distorted features if you take tight head shots but if you step back to include the whole person, or most of them, you should be good. Henri Cartier Bresson used this equivalent focal length for his work and those portraits turned out pretty good
--
http://chriscurnutt.tumblr.com/

MrChristopher's gear list:MrChristopher's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Marcos Villaroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,272Gear list
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

I own both 35mm and 56mm primes.

I wouldn't crop images too much; you want to preserve as many of those 16MP as you can --- unless you are strictly going for low resolution applications such as the web or smaller prints.

As others have mentioned, the 56mm more easily gives you the ability to go for subject isolation using shallower DOF because you can achieve the effect easier by getting closer to your subject rather than trying to position your subject further away from the background.

Since you can shoot the 56mm further away from your subject than the 35mm, you do get the more pleasing telephoto compression effects without cropping.

There's also the fact that the 56/1.2 was optimized for portrait work (vs. say the 60mm macro), which may also help.

But, back to your original question:  if you don't do many portraits, then sure, using your 35mm works just fine.  Pose your subjects/select the backgrounds as required.  Working a little harder to get the sort of portraits you want using the 35mm can be more satisfying that just saying you can't really do portraits until you get a 56 or 60.

If you do lots of portraits, you've probably taken the 35mm as far as you can already and can justify the expense of the 56/1.2mm.  

Marcos Villaroman's gear list:Marcos Villaroman's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +39 more
Christof21
Like?
In reply to Marcos Villaroman, 7 months ago

Marcos Villaroman wrote:

photo perzon wrote:

I own both 35mm and 56mm primes.

I wouldn't crop images too much; you want to preserve as many of those 16MP as you can --- unless you are strictly going for low resolution applications such as the web or smaller prints.

As others have mentioned, the 56mm more easily gives you the ability to go for subject isolation using shallower DOF because you can achieve the effect easier by getting closer to your subject rather than trying to position your subject further away from the background.

Since you can shoot the 56mm further away from your subject than the 35mm, you do get the more pleasing telephoto compression effects without cropping.

There's also the fact that the 56/1.2 was optimized for portrait work (vs. say the 60mm macro), which may also help.

But, back to your original question: if you don't do many portraits, then sure, using your 35mm works just fine. Pose your subjects/select the backgrounds as required. Working a little harder to get the sort of portraits you want using the 35mm can be more satisfying that just saying you can't really do portraits until you get a 56 or 60.

If you do lots of portraits, you've probably taken the 35mm as far as you can already and can justify the expense of the 56/1.2mm.

35mm is the lower bound to shoot portraits. It is possible to take nice portraits, cropping a bit may be a solution, the center of the photo is always sharper.. From my personal experience, I consider that I still have really good IQ until I crop x1.5. Until an equivalent 50mm in your case.This is just from experience, take it with a brain of salt. There is no general rule, it depends on the lens.

Indulis Bernsteins
Regular MemberPosts: 422Gear list
Like?
In reply to XPro10, 7 months ago

Physics says that the 56mm at F1.4 would have smaller DoF than the 35mm at F1.4, so the background blurs more. But then again, maybe not important, as the 35mm is a lovely lens anyway!

Indulis Bernsteins's gear list:Indulis Bernsteins's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
slowhand73
Regular MemberPosts: 157Gear list
Like?
In reply to Indulis Bernsteins, 7 months ago

If I'm not wrong, cropping the 35 to have the FOV of the 56 is a x1.6 factor.

You will get a 10MPx picture. Not so long ago, we were not unhappy with a 10MPx sensor camera !

slowhand73's gear list:slowhand73's gear list
Fujifilm X-M1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +2 more
win39
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,124
Like?
You can, but...

You don't have a lot of pixels to start cropping away. A 50mm equivalent is good for full frame portraits, especially of the type showing the person in their environment. No one will like the perspective distortion of a tight head shot.

guitarjeff
Contributing MemberPosts: 920
Like?

photo perzon wrote:

I was in the car and took these with the 35.  They are cropped an average amount, probably 40 to 50 percent crops.  I think you will be fine standing back and framing loose and cropping in a bit, just don't go cropping beyond 50 percent.

-- hide signature --

[[[If I am commenting on your X trans photos, I consider it a shame there are a few users out there who say test charts keep them away from X trans, this then encompasses all photos like these, amazing but true.]]]

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads