Well...I finally pulled the trigger on a Fuji 14mm f2.8!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Smiller4128
Regular MemberPosts: 363Gear list
Like?
Well...I finally pulled the trigger on a Fuji 14mm f2.8!
7 months ago

Dropped about $650 on a used one in really good condition on eBay and it comes with a 6 month warranty should anything go wrong. It has the box and hood and lens caps as well so everything as well.

It took me a really long time to come to a decision between the 14mm and the 10-24mm zoom lens. I ultimately decided to go with the 14mm though because it's smaller, lighter, faster aperture (I know OIS in the 10-24mm makes up for this, but still) and because of the quick and easy way to go into manual focus mode by just simply sliding back the focus ring...for some reason that really enticed me so I got one/ Hopefully it'll be here sometime by the middle of this next week.

I'm hoping that I'll now be able to find a used 55-200mm and that, combined with my 14mm and 18-55mm on my X-T1 will be the perfect trifecta for my Alaskan Cruise at the end of September

Smiller4128's gear list:Smiller4128's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,385Gear list
Like?
Re: Well...I finally pulled the trigger on a Fuji 14mm f2.8!
In reply to Smiller4128, 7 months ago

Congratulations. Good choice and great price. I paid $800 on ebay last summer for a Used one in Like New condition. Never regreted. It mates very well with the 18-55. Hard to find anyone that regrets purchasing this little gem.

-- hide signature --

Fuji Silver XE1 w/14, 35, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ollie 2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,364Gear list
Like?

Smiller4128 wrote:

Dropped about $650 on a used one in really good condition on eBay and it comes with a 6 month warranty should anything go wrong. It has the box and hood and lens caps as well so everything as well.

It took me a really long time to come to a decision between the 14mm and the 10-24mm zoom lens. I ultimately decided to go with the 14mm though because it's smaller, lighter, faster aperture (I know OIS in the 10-24mm makes up for this, but still) and because of the quick and easy way to go into manual focus mode by just simply sliding back the focus ring...for some reason that really enticed me so I got one/ Hopefully it'll be here sometime by the middle of this next week.

I'm hoping that I'll now be able to find a used 55-200mm and that, combined with my 14mm and 18-55mm on my X-T1 will be the perfect trifecta for my Alaskan Cruise at the end of September

Well done. I'm a bit jealous. I have the 10-24mm and as much as I love it, I do ultimately prefer primes.

Grrr....is having both simply self indulgent and excessive????

....maybe I'll have to find out.:-)

Congrats. I hate you.;-)

Ollie 2's gear list:Ollie 2's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Olympus PEN E-P2 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +16 more
km25
Regular MemberPosts: 442Gear list
Like?

You guys got good deal, I paid full price, but I do to care the 14mm F/2.8 is a little soft at 2.8 at the edges, that is were the cons end. The distortion is correct, but it is nearer normal the wide. IOS on a wide, not so much. I feel this a gotta own lens if you go Fuji.

-- hide signature --

kam

km25's gear list:km25's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +3 more
machoman
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
In reply to km25, 7 months ago

km25 wrote:

You guys got good deal, I paid full price, but I do to care the 14mm F/2.8 is a little soft at 2.8 at the edges, that is were the cons end. The distortion is correct, but it is nearer normal the wide. IOS on a wide, not so much. I feel this a gotta own lens if you go Fuji.

-- hide signature --

kam

Can someone please make a comment about distortion from the lens - I'm always disappointed with wider than normal lenses as pics taken with people at the edges always distorts their faces. The panasonic 20mm on the GH1 distorts people faces - i spent so much time trying to make it look acceptable that i gave up. I would love to get a nice wideangle but i'm afraid the distortions will let me down.

viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,786Gear list
Like?
In reply to machoman, 7 months ago

machoman wrote:

km25 wrote:

-- hide signature --

kam

Can someone please make a comment about distortion from the lens - I'm always disappointed with wider than normal lenses as pics taken with people at the edges always distorts their faces. The panasonic 20mm on the GH1 distorts people faces - i spent so much time trying to make it look acceptable that i gave up. I would love to get a nice wideangle but i'm afraid the distortions will let me down.

There are a couple types of distortion, but what you are referring to is a side effect of rectilinear projection. In order to force straight lines in the lens, objects must get stretched and distorted near the edge of the frame. There is no way around this and it will get worse the wider you go. This isn't a property of the lens specifically.

A fisheye is an alternative to a rectilinear lens. It maintains scale and prevents stretching near the edge of the frame, but straight lines are no longer straight. Fisheye lenses will often be better for people shots if you go extremely wide to prevent scaling/rectilinear distortion issues. You do have to be extremely careful though so you don't have bow shaped people at the edge of the frame. Probably best with one person and you can run them through the center.

But when people talk about distortion and the 14mm are referring to barrel distortion in the lens. The 14mm doesn't have any, if you took a picture of a checker board all the squares would be square (not curved). It is "optically correct". This may or may not be important to you, in general this is going away as you can typically do as good of a job digitally. Either digital or optical will suffer some issues and field of view loss.

The following pictures show the lack of distortion in the 14mm and how a different lens looks in comparison.

14mm from my review on my blog. Notice the top and bottom red line are parallel, virtually no barrel/pincushion distortion.

The following is one from the Sony E mount 16-50mm without distortion correction applied, this lens is an extreme example:

Sony E mount 16-50mm with no correction applied at 16mm.

Either lens is going to have stretched subjects near the edge of the frame, they are both rectilinear lenses (the Sony not quite as much, it is slightly fisheye due to the distortion), but if you correct it, the stretching will occur.  If you ever de-fish a fisheye image, it will be just like a rectilinear image being stretched out at the edges.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,695Gear list
Like?
 57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,248Gear list
Like?

Congratulations.  I took advantage of the recent Fuji sale to purchase the lens.  I had originally pre-ordered the 10-24, but after reading more and more about the 14, I cancelled the order for the 10-24 and got the 14 instead.  I'm glad I did!

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
wyldberi
Senior MemberPosts: 2,735Gear list
Like?

Smiller4128 wrote:

I picked up a new X-E1 last year, and the 18-55mm, the 14mm, and the 55-200mm lenses were the lenses I had to work with. I consider the 18-55mm and the 14mm to be two of the best XF lenses released to date.

As long as your new used lens hasn't been mistreated or become defective in some way, I'm sure you will be very pleased with your decision as to which wide angle Fuji lens to pick up. Having used the 14mm, even if I needed the wider end of the 10-24mm zoom, I'd still want to have the 14mm to pair with my 18-55mm as a 2-lens tourist type traveling kit.

You might also want to consider picking up the small XF 27mm pancake lens. It's very sharp and since it's so small, probably the fastest AF focusing Fuji lens released to date. It really brings a new dimension to the mirrorless experience, especially when used for street shooting. A bit wider than the 35/50mm FOV, and well worth the effort.

Unsolicited advice: replace the Fuji front and rear lens caps ASAP.

JJC rear lens/body cap pairs are superior to the OEM versions that come standard. The OEM's have a habit of working loose and falling off in a kit bag. There's a USA based retailer who sells these via Amazon.com.

I've been buying front lens caps from LensMate.com for years. They work very well and don't come off until you take them off. They're probably the same caps you can get off e-bay, if you know which Seller to go with; I don't know.

For my new XF 27mm lens I bought a 39-55mm step-up ring from B&H Photo. I paired this with one of the Samyang front lens caps B&H offers and that seems to work as well as the LensMate caps.

wyldberi
Like?

machoman wrote:

Photographic lenses are tools. Like all tools they can be used effectively in the right situations, and less effectively when used in other situations.

Generally, wide angle lenses work best on things like buildings, city scapes, and landscapes. In the hands of a skilled photographer who understands what an ultra wide lens does, it can be used to great creative effect.

As for the Fujinon XF 14mm, it is absolutely one of the best new lenses to come to market in at least the last decade at any reasonable price. As stated above, the barrel and chromatic distortion that comes with wide angle lenses has been optically corrected so that for all practical purposes it no longer exists.

It's a superb lens.

Smiller4128
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 7 months ago

wyldberi wrote:

Smiller4128 wrote:

I picked up a new X-E1 last year, and the 18-55mm, the 14mm, and the 55-200mm lenses were the lenses I had to work with. I consider the 18-55mm and the 14mm to be two of the best XF lenses released to date.

As long as your new used lens hasn't been mistreated or become defective in some way, I'm sure you will be very pleased with your decision as to which wide angle Fuji lens to pick up. Having used the 14mm, even if I needed the wider end of the 10-24mm zoom, I'd still want to have the 14mm to pair with my 18-55mm as a 2-lens tourist type traveling kit.

You might also want to consider picking up the small XF 27mm pancake lens. It's very sharp and since it's so small, probably the fastest AF focusing Fuji lens released to date. It really brings a new dimension to the mirrorless experience, especially when used for street shooting. A bit wider than the 35/50mm FOV, and well worth the effort.

JJC rear lens/body cap pairs are superior to the OEM versions that come standard. The OEM's have a habit of working loose and falling off in a kit bag. There's a USA based retailer who sells these via Amazon.com.

I've been buying front lens caps from LensMate.com for years. They work very well and don't come off until you take them off. They're probably the same caps you can get off e-bay, if you know which Seller to go with; I don't know.

For my new XF 27mm lens I bought a 39-55mm step-up ring from B&H Photo. I paired this with one of the Samyang front lens caps B&H offers and that seems to work as well as the LensMate caps.

You like the 27mm that well? I was considering the 23mm f1.4 but if the 27mm is as good as you say then i may consider that instead as it's significantly cheaper

wyldberi
Like?

Smiller4128 wrote:

wyldberi wrote:

Smiller4128 wrote:

You might also want to consider picking up the small XF 27mm pancake lens. It's very sharp and since it's so small, probably the fastest AF focusing Fuji lens released to date. It really brings a new dimension to the mirrorless experience, especially when used for street shooting. A bit wider than the 35/50mm FOV, and well worth the effort.

You like the 27mm that well? I was considering the 23mm f1.4 but if the 27mm is as good as you say then i may consider that instead as it's significantly cheaper

My favorite Fuji lens is the 14mm; that's the lens that convinced me to buy into the Fuji system. I liked the styling and form factor of the silver X-Pro1/X-E1 bodies, but it's always the glass that matters more.

Besides the 14mm, the other lens I wanted to own was the 23mm. The 35mm field of view has been my standard prime of choice for a long time; I like to shoot wider than a 50mm FOV. So I waited and contented myself with the 14mm & 18-55mm. The 14mm has proven to be every bit as good as I was hoping for; the 18-55mm exceeded my expectations.

One day last fall, when I was culling through a bunch of pictures I'd taken with the 18-55mm, I did a quick review of the shots I liked. To my surprise I found the largest percentage of them had been taken in the neighborhood of a 40mm FOV.

What's really unique about the 27mm is how small and light weight it is. It's no replacement for my 23mm, but it's a pretty good stand-in for when I want to go light and take more than a pocket size P&S camera with me. One other point about the size, you can loose it in a spare pocket and never notice you have a prime lens with you until you want one; pair it with a Raynox DCR-250 in another pocket, and you've got a decent macro lens substitute with you all the time.

The 18-55mm is a good choice for situations where you don't know what to expect; it's nice to be able to move from wide to telephoto with a turn of the right. The 27mm is good for when you want to grab shots from a standard FOV and you don't want to be burdened with a large hunk of glass dangling off the front of your camera.

If Fuji drops the price on the little 27mm lens, or if it comes up on a future sale at a good discount, it's definitely worth owning.

Chuck Snyder
Regular MemberPosts: 383
Like?
In reply to wyldberi, 7 months ago

I've been contemplating the 10-24mm zoom vs. 14mm prime for several days now. Unfortunately, I can't afford both at this time.

After reviewing this thread, I'm definitely leaning toward the 14. Thanks!

Smiller4128
Like?
In reply to Chuck Snyder, 7 months ago

Chuck Snyder wrote:

I've been contemplating the 10-24mm zoom vs. 14mm prime for several days now. Unfortunately, I can't afford both at this time.

After reviewing this thread, I'm definitely leaning toward the 14. Thanks!

I'm glad this thread could help someone who was in a situation similar to mine!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads