Four photos of the same thing (WTC w/Voigtlanders)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,571Gear list
Like?
Four photos of the same thing (WTC w/Voigtlanders)
7 months ago

I believe the first photo was with the 25mm, the rest with the 17.5

9 exposure Pano w/PTgui

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Michael L NYC 99
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?
Re: Four photos of the same thing (WTC w/Voigtlanders)
In reply to Bob Tullis, 7 months ago

These are very nice Bob. The trade center is one of my favorite photo subjects. I usually shoot the trade center from the south, east or west, so it's nice to see some different perspectives from the north. I haven't been to Pier 25 since Hurricane Sandy, so it looks like it's worth a return visit.

My favorite is the color shot in front of the skating rink, but they're all really good.

Regards

Mike

-- hide signature --

See my Flickr photostream here Michael.Lee.Pics.NYC

Michael L NYC 99's gear list:Michael L NYC 99's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,113Gear list
Like?

I like the first two very much, because of the foreground/background interactions. It's remarkable you got so little motion blur on those bikers at 1/40.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
Bill from Oregon
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?

Bob...

Those images are really very nice.  I especially like the first shot where you're standing in the middle of the bike path.  I notice that you took that shot using an ISO of 3200.  Credit to the E-M1.  And I'm glad it's that sharp at 3200 since I recently ordered an E-M1.  Should be here Monday.

I notice that you shot that image at a shutter speed of 1/40 second (since you were in the bike path).  I assume you hand held.  Is that correct?  If so, were you using image stabilization?

Good shooting,

Bill

Bill from Oregon's gear list:Bill from Oregon's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
rrr_hhh
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,920Gear list
Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

200 ISO 1s Exposure E-M1 Camera 20 ISO 2.5s Exposure

Hi Bob,

I've not visited the list a lot these past months, but your pictures are always as good.. These two are my favorites, I love the colors, especially the first one (the second in your complete set). I guess the second (last in your set) would benefit of a larger view than what is available on a computer.

Congrats

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D
Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to Jim Salvas, 7 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

I like the first two very much, because of the foreground/background interactions. It's remarkable you got so little motion blur on those bikers at 1/40.

It's even more remarkable that the biker in the center didn't clip me when he passed me on my right, to get past the biker on my left.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to Bill from Oregon, 7 months ago

Bill from Oregon wrote:

Bob...

Those images are really very nice. I especially like the first shot where you're standing in the middle of the bike path. I notice that you took that shot using an ISO of 3200. Credit to the E-M1. And I'm glad it's that sharp at 3200 since I recently ordered an E-M1. Should be here Monday.

I notice that you shot that image at a shutter speed of 1/40 second (since you were in the bike path). I assume you hand held. Is that correct? If so, were you using image stabilization?

Yes, I always have IBIS enabled, doesn't appear to be any reason not to, unless on a tripod. 1/40s is nothing - one can get down to 1/13 - 1/10s with success often. After the 'getting to know you' stage with the E-M1, I'm sure you find it to be quite enabling.

I do have a 5th photo. . . just before dusk ended. . . limiting the ISO to 800 is preferred, if at all possible, for IQ holds up best up to ISO 800 (after that noise gets more considerable).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to rrr_hhh, 7 months ago

rrr_hhh wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

200 ISO 1s Exposure E-M1 Camera

20 ISO 2.5s Exposure

Hi Bob,

I've not visited the list a lot these past months, but your pictures are always as good.. These two are my favorites, I love the colors, especially the first one (the second in your complete set). I guess the second (last in your set) would benefit of a larger view than what is available on a computer.

Thanks.   True enough, larger views are better.  You can click to see the original in all it's glory, on any of 'em, if your bandwidth permits (or just use DPR's loupe).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to Michael L NYC 99, 7 months ago

Michael L NYC 99 wrote:

These are very nice Bob. The trade center is one of my favorite photo subjects. I usually shoot the trade center from the south, east or west, so it's nice to see some different perspectives from the north. I haven't been to Pier 25 since Hurricane Sandy, so it looks like it's worth a return visit.

My favorite is the color shot in front of the skating rink, but they're all really good.

Thanks, Mike.   A last minute decision driven by warm temps. to get out last night.   I worked my way down from 14th Street, intended to go further south but I didn't want to be too wasted at work this morning.  

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

local novice
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?

I am always on the lookout for your picture posts. Outstanding as usual (ho hum).  Love the way you handle the WB issues. Desaturating the color seems to be a good strategy when shooting at night (if that is what you did pp).  Wish I was back in NYC taking night shots.  Maybe at a later time.  Thanks for posting.

local novice's gear list:local novice's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +3 more
Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to local novice, 7 months ago

local novice wrote:

I am always on the lookout for your picture posts. Outstanding as usual (ho hum). Love the way you handle the WB issues. Desaturating the color seems to be a good strategy when shooting at night (if that is what you did pp). Wish I was back in NYC taking night shots. Maybe at a later time. Thanks for posting.

Thanks, back atcha!  

Yes, I tend to first tweak WB, then pull back on Vibrance to reduce the strong conflict of color.   If too orange/yellow in that color range still, I'll reduce saturation of those individual colors as well (but might also raise each's Luminance).

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Wormsmeat
Senior MemberPosts: 5,194Gear list
Like?

The first has an element of drama/comedy in it. The cyclist looks like he is tiliting to avoid the damn photographer in the road.

The second is a cool shot, I love the colour, the word SKATE and the building. The ghosted figure on the right detracts a tiny bit for me, wheras the centre one works.

The last is unusual in a pano to have a character figure so prominently, so often they are purely landscapes. This is pano meets street. It's a fine shot.

Wormsmeat's gear list:Wormsmeat's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Bill from Oregon
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?

Bob...

Yes, that too is a nice shot.  And it appears to be sharp as well.  I see that your shutter speed was 1/13 second.  Hand held with image stabilization I suppose.

Bill

Bill from Oregon's gear list:Bill from Oregon's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8
Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,113Gear list
Like?

I just switched favorites. I was looking at these earlier on my iPad, but I"m now on my new 27" iMac and that pano is outstanding. At 100%, it's a great, immersive composition.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
robonrome
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312Gear list
Like?

nice ones Bob, you look like you were taking you're life in your hands in the first one, in the centre of a cyclist cyclone

are you hand-holding or using a monopod?

robonrome's gear list:robonrome's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
markintosh13
Senior MemberPosts: 1,586
Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

9 exposure Pano w/PTgui

Hi Bob,

Always like your black & whites, but I'm really digging' your muted colours processing lately - very cinematic and moody.

vadimraskin
Senior MemberPosts: 3,585Gear list
Like?

Great stuff, Bob. Just bought 17.5mm Voigtlander (should arrive by Tuesday) so look for me in NYC at night

vadimraskin's gear list:vadimraskin's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +3 more
19andrew47
Forum ProPosts: 13,772Gear list
Like?

A great set, again!  My preferences run to the last three but they are all really well done.  I am assuming these are wide open and I am somewhat surprised by the depth of field in the images if so.  Almost makes me wish I lived in a large city with a spectacular skyline in order to be able to get images like these, almost, but not quite!  When I see these I am wishing I had some really fast glass but I seldom get to a large city and even more seldom am there at night.

Andrew

Bob Tullis
Like?
In reply to Bill from Oregon, 7 months ago

Bill from Oregon wrote:

Bob...

Yes, that too is a nice shot. And it appears to be sharp as well. I see that your shutter speed was 1/13 second. Hand held with image stabilization I suppose.

Right.   ISO 200 would be the tripod-study indicator, all else hand-held.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC

Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?

Bob Tullis wrote:

Very nice. The motion blur works too.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads