Sold my V3 (but there's more to it)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,367Gear list
Like?
Sold my V3 (but there's more to it)
7 months ago

wait what? Yup.

The more I thought about it the more undecided I was and another soul that really wanted it offered to buy it away. I was at the edge of the return to the store for refund deadline and decided to sell.

At the moment I sold I was simply undecided and I felt like since it is a full system switch, it's $2800 USD the way I want it, and it starts looking like Leica or Sony FF money at that point.

And.. well that's a bit pricey but if it does what I want - ok, fine- but I can't justify that kind of expense if I am not really sure about it. So it's not that the V3 I think it's bad or anything- but that I want to make sure it's a real match.

As the nights go on, and I try my Fuji XE1 at night, and I go over the files and photos I captured with the V3, and even some now in daylight I am seeing the V3 is holding its own quite well in daylight actually and was speedy for the night with the F1.8 prime. I was just starting to get more intuitive with it and I was getting also some rather nice B&W tonality with the 18.5 F1.8 prime (love that lens).

So I have started to miss it.. depending how much I miss it I will just get a new one again. To keep. And to get that F1.2 prime. That was part of the original plan. I bet that makes it look even better.

I am going to give myself until Saturday to see how much I really miss but looks like I am missing it quite a bit.

I have come to discover that one of the biggest hold backs is simply I don't see Nikon caring for the 1 system user. It's like the V3 is a good match for my needs not because they thought about it, but by accident. And they don't seem to care. - that Nikon 1 V1 issue of previewing every picture taken and no firmware upgrade for that- what the hell Nikon?

Again, in the context of spending so much cash, it really gives one pause.

The other thing I do miss is in-camera raw development. It allows me to play with a file in -camera and get an idea what can I do and some sort of instant feedback for exposures. And given the camera has wifi it just makes sense to be able to convert files to share. But I think I can deal with this.

There are some shots I can post later from others I did, I did not post all I had.

Right now I am just sort of dreaming the shots I would be capturing with it. Maybe I should just have kept

If someone is looking for a Summary recommendation no matter what I do it would go like this:

- you wanted to do fast sports photography or wildlife? Win

- you like any of the Nikon 1 bodies (Or J's) and wanted better overall operation/controls/size? In spite of the price? Win. Price an issue? Consider a V2.

- You want a QSF camera? (quiet/small/fast) - Win.

For me it's about QSF- for street life. I have no Nikon equipment.

Price gets a bit in the way but if it's really the better match, doesn't matter. Better pay more for something that does what you want than less for a "good deal" that does not. Biggest "fear" - that m4/3rds or Sony sorts out a competitor model that matches but so far nothing, and in the meantime shots that could be taken go and vanish in time, never to come back.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 V3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 977Gear list
Like?
Re: Sold my V3 (but there's more to it)
In reply to Raist3d, 7 months ago

The fight or of the devil and the angel:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Michel_terrassant_le_d%C3%A9mon#mediaviewer/Fichier:St_Michael_Raphael.jpg

All this is - unexpectedly - very very very positive for the V3.

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Raist3d
Like?
In reply to JL Salvignol, 7 months ago

JL Salvignol wrote:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Michel_terrassant_le_d%C3%A9mon#mediaviewer/Fichier:St_Michael_Raphael.jpg

Lol well, I look at this with no brand loyalty at this point, from the point of view of as -tools. What I mean is- what if I decide it's not for me? Does it necessarily mean "oh Ricardo didn't get it? "  Does it necessarily mean "oh Ricardo surely thinks it's a bad camera for everyone?"

(not talking about you now)- I have often seen this kind of reaction in dpreview forums. There's no room for "I think it's a good camera but it is not quite what I was looking for but I am sure that for you it will be great" kind of possibility. Or many other possibilities.

The V3 is very attractive to me for being QSF (Quiet Small Fast) with reasonable enough quality for the night shots I want to do (as it is emerging in my re-review of what I took).  I place a huge priority on ergonomics- the V3 is the first Nikon 1 that has the size and ergos that I can live with (the V2 is close but I want smaller).

My possibility here is indeed "more optimistic" for "the V3" if you really want to look at it that way but I really think it would be better for everyone if they just looked at it as a tool evaluation, and even if I thought it was just a bad camera in general, just pick and still choose according to needs and even perhaps understand disagreements if that makes sense.

Hope that makes sense  But hey if I get one soon again, you bet I will be pushing it to limits and taking photographs.

-- hide signature --

JLS

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 977Gear list
Like?

"Hope that makes sense" : absolutely, your decision is very consistent and the fate of the V3 stays open.

To follow the advice of Joe Marquez otherwise the radical option CX / FX seems to be a reasonable solution for me, say:

* V1/S1 + V3 on one side for dynamic photos,

* Sony Alpha 7/7R on the other side for landscape and quiet portrait with my nice collection of MF Takumars, Pentax and Nikkors, + Hasselblad Zeiss also maybe....

In this perspective DX makes very little sense.

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
Blanko00
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?

This is an interesting article:

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2013/03/25/what-to-consider-when-buying-a-new-camera-for-street-photography/

The premise might be street shooting, but I think it applies to me more than I'd have cared to mention. Just interesting to read before springing for a new camera.

I used to buy a slr and a compact and use them till they broke in the days of film. I've been up grading year in year out since getting my first digital. I know what my camera does now, I'm pretty happy. I think now I want to see a real improvement in what I produce, rather than wait for a very slight improvement in ISO, it's my skill level that needs the upgrade now.

walter g1
Regular MemberPosts: 182
Like?

I read a current thread over at the Sony e mount sub forum
A7r repair woes.
If you're even considering one read this thread first.

Raist3d
Like?
Oh I read this before.
In reply to Blanko00, 7 months ago

Blanko00 wrote:

This is an interesting article:

http://erickimphotography.com/blog/2013/03/25/what-to-consider-when-buying-a-new-camera-for-street-photography/

The premise might be street shooting, but I think it applies to me more than I'd have cared to mention. Just interesting to read before springing for a new camera.

I used to buy a slr and a compact and use them till they broke in the days of film. I've been up grading year in year out since getting my first digital. I know what my camera does now, I'm pretty happy. I think now I want to see a real improvement in what I produce, rather than wait for a very slight improvement in ISO, it's my skill level that needs the upgrade now.

It's a good link but I am not trying to buy "latest and greatest" to "improve my photography." I am well aware a "better camera" will not make me a better photographer.

I have simply converged over time to quiet, small and fast, and was looking in the V3 a step up from Q7 for shots at night. I am very satisfied with the Q7 in daylight.  And workflow/erognomics have also top priority in my book- the reason I never gave the Nikon 1 system a serious glance until the V3 came along.

Note that the main hold back from having just kept the V3 was not the camera itself, but Nikon, the company.

Nevertheless, a good read.

-- hide signature --

aandeg
Regular MemberPosts: 184Gear list
Like?

Seems to be a pretty positive reaction by users to the V3.  Certainly makes me want to go out and get one.

I use the V2 my wife owns almost exclusively now and leave my d5200 sitting.  Time for her to get her camera back.

aandeg's gear list:aandeg's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D5200
Blanko00
Regular MemberPosts: 223Gear list
Like?
Re: Oh I read this before.

Yeah, it is interesting, isn't it?

Nah, I don't think you're one of those guy's. While a better camera won't get a better shot, it doesn't mean there aren't legitimate reasons to buy a new camera. I just thought it was interesting stuff to have in mind when approaching that purchase. I'm certainly guilty of researching everything to the nth degree online, then feeling slightly dissatisfied when it arrives. I used to go into a shop, buy the one I like, be happy till it wore out. Certainly one of my few recent purchases with which I'm happy is the TV, where I did exactly that. It had the best picture for the money I wanted to spend, in that store. Mind you, a couple of years on, it's looking a little bulky, it's not a smart TV... Lets fire up cnet.com and see what's out there...

ambercool
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?

I went street shooting in NY for a total of 17 hours last weekend with the A7 and it's quite loud.  I am thinking the V3 will be much faster and quieter to use.  Yet... I can't seem to get over the fact the V3 is way above what I would want to pay.  I'd even do $700-800 without the bundle.  I already have the 18.5 and 32 I can use and I don't need the viewfinder or grip for my street purposes.

-- hide signature --

-Viet
http://www.ambercool.com
"Luck comes to those who do"

ambercool's gear list:ambercool's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D70 Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN E-P5 Fujifilm X-E2 +24 more
tomhongkong
Senior MemberPosts: 2,526
Like?

I don't think that the V3 is the camera I would choose for photos of black cats in coal mines at night (or night time street shooting, either)  The fact that you generally speak highly of it is encouraging for those folks like me who would use it for shots in decent light (if I could afford it!)  I will have to wait until prices settle down to a sensible level, though

tom

T Jones
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?

It's not the camera in this modern age. Thank you for selling.

LTZ470
Forum ProPosts: 11,028Gear list
Like?

On a trip at present:

V3 with 55-300 for birding

V3 10-100 walkaround

FZ200 w/ TC-E17ED for birding

EM1 100-300 for birding

EM1 42.5 f/1.2 Portraits Low Light

EM1 12-40 f/2.8 Walk Around Landscapes/biking/hiking/close ups

EM1 60mm Macro Close Ups

A7r 24mm f/2 ZA for Landscapes Night Shots

RX1 for walk around hiking/biking

BIGGEST problem V3 at 300mm...stabilisation...need shutter speed...

-- hide signature --

--Really there is a God...and He loves you..
FlickR Photostream:
www.flickr.com/photos/46756347@N08/
Mr Ichiro Kitao, I support the call to upgrade the FZ50.
I will not only buy one but two no questions asked...

T Jones
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?
In reply to LTZ470, 7 months ago

You really take all that on trip?

Kevin Omura
Senior MemberPosts: 1,647Gear list
Like?
Or the best of both worlds

You got to try it out and get a good feel for it, now you just sit back and see if Nikon follows their pattern of blowing these things out a year after they were released.

Btw not sure you want to dip your toe into the Leica pond an M digital is just under $7,000 and the Noctilux is just under $11,000 At B&H.

That Nikon 1 f1.2 is starting to look like a downright bargain.

Kevin Omura's gear list:Kevin Omura's gear list
Canon EOS D60 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot G2 Canon PowerShot G6 +46 more
myzel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,075Gear list
Like?

Raist3d wrote:

…At the moment I sold I was simply undecided and I felt like since it is a full system switch, it's $2800 USD the way I want it, and it starts looking like Leica or Sony FF money at that point.

Where can I get a new Leica M with 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/2 and a 90mm f/2.8 for $2800

myzel's gear list:myzel's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor 32mm f/1.2
GXRuser
Contributing MemberPosts: 656
Like?

JL Salvignol wrote:

Lol well, I look at this with no brand loyalty at this point, from the point of view of as -tools. What I mean is- what if I decide it's not for me? Does it necessarily mean "oh Ricardo didn't get it? "  Does it necessarily mean "oh Ricardo surely thinks it's a bad camera for everyone?"

(not talking about you now)- I have often seen this kind of reaction in dpreview forums. There's no room for "I think it's a good camera but it is not quite what I was looking for but I am sure that for you it will be great" kind of possibility. Or many other possibilities.

The V3 is very attractive to me for being QSF (Quiet Small Fast) with reasonable enough quality for the night shots I want to do (as it is emerging in my re-review of what I took).  I place a huge priority on ergonomics- the V3 is the first Nikon 1 that has the size and ergos that I can live with (the V2 is close but I want smaller).

My possibility here is indeed "more optimistic" for "the V3" if you really want to look at it that way but I really think it would be better for everyone if they just looked at it as a tool evaluation, and even if I thought it was just a bad camera in general, just pick and still choose according to needs and even perhaps understand disagreements if that makes sense.

Hope that makes sense  But hey if I get one soon again, you bet I will be pushing it to limits and taking photographs.

-- hide signature --

JLS

-- hide signature --

The V2 is smaller than the V3. V2 is narrower at the lens mount. Any v3 size advantage due to it's modular design is compromised when the EVF is attached or the grip is attached.

dougjgreen1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,200Gear list
Like?
In reply to myzel, 7 months ago

myzel wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

…At the moment I sold I was simply undecided and I felt like since it is a full system switch, it's $2800 USD the way I want it, and it starts looking like Leica or Sony FF money at that point.

Where can I get a new Leica M with 28mm f/2.8, 50mm f/2 and a 90mm f/2.8 for $2800

Who said anything about a NEW Leica?  Or even a digital one, for that matter.  You can get a nice M6, and some older used Leica lenses in that price range.

dougjgreen1's gear list:dougjgreen1's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Nikon 1 V2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +11 more
Raist3d
Like?
In reply to GXRuser, 7 months ago

GXRuser wrote:

JL Salvignol wrote:

Lol well, I look at this with no brand loyalty at this point, from the point of view of as -tools. What I mean is- what if I decide it's not for me? Does it necessarily mean "oh Ricardo didn't get it? " Does it necessarily mean "oh Ricardo surely thinks it's a bad camera for everyone?"

The V3 is very attractive to me for being QSF (Quiet Small Fast) with reasonable enough quality for the night shots I want to do (as it is emerging in my re-review of what I took). I place a huge priority on ergonomics- the V3 is the first Nikon 1 that has the size and ergos that I can live with (the V2 is close but I want smaller).

Hope that makes sense But hey if I get one soon again, you bet I will be pushing it to limits and taking photographs.

-- hide signature --

JLS

-- hide signature --

The V2 is smaller than the V3. V2 is narrower at the lens mount. Any v3 size advantage due to it's modular design is compromised when the EVF is attached or the grip is attached.

But who says I want to use the V3 EVF attached?

And I have seen the V2. The V3 is much more pocket friendly.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d
Like?
Re: Oh I read this before.
In reply to Blanko00, 7 months ago

Blanko00 wrote:

Yeah, it is interesting, isn't it?

I am partially at fault to the article still. I used to be much more but it does touch on some points.

Nah, I don't think you're one of those guy's. While a better camera won't get a better shot, it doesn't mean there aren't legitimate reasons to buy a new camera. I just thought it was interesting stuff to have in mind when approaching that purchase. I'm certainly guilty of researching everything to the nth degree online, then feeling slightly dissatisfied when it arrives. I used to go into a shop, buy the one I like, be happy till it wore out. Certainly one of my few recent purchases with which I'm happy is the TV, where I did exactly that. It had the best picture for the money I wanted to spend, in that store. Mind you, a couple of years on, it's looking a little bulky, it's not a smart TV... Lets fire up cnet.com and see what's out there...

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads