x100 vs X100s: a question of color rendition

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
EduPortas
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
x100 vs X100s: a question of color rendition
4 months ago

Hello everyone.

Long time DSLR shooter here that has gotten tired of lugging around full frame equipment.

I basically do street photo and everything points to either the Fuji X100 or X100s as my next camera.

I've been doing lots of research and some reviewers mention that the original X100 has some

superb color rendition that makes light look "special" when shooting due to a different sensor

from the X100s which appears to be sharper.

The classic X100 has a "je ne sais quoi" way of processing light that makes pictures more pleasing.

Do you agree with this assessment? I could really use the extra $ saved from buying a slightly older

camera model.

skalsa1
Regular MemberPosts: 388
Like?
Re: x100 vs X100s: a question of color rendition
In reply to EduPortas, 4 months ago

hi, well yes, you are right. X100 has much more dynamic range IMO and a bit different colors in each film simulation mode (velvia with X100 is pretty nice and not so good with X100S - because of clipped shadows). other difference is mainly in red color. X100 has nice deep red and x100S has it more bright and more digital. but its not a bad thing. Its up to you what you prefer. X100S has better EVF (but its not a day and night difference. It has also brighter OVF overlay while shooting in day light. It has Q button, lower noise while shooting on higher ISO and sharper images). On the other side you can buy X100 limited edition for less than X100S in silver. You will get hood, case, filter, adapter..nice smooth black painting). While you install firmware 2.1 you will not notice slow AF . You will also get focus peaking ... X100 has also nicer image noise (more random and sot so digital).. I also don't like X-trans sensor (its feels to me like adding +40% clarity in lightroom - a bit plastic look which is not real). but hey, just try them by yourself :).. like me. cheers

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
dummygj
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?

First I don't want to say that I feel pity I bought the X100s and sold my X100. However, manytimes when looking back to my X100 photos I say: 'O yeah, that was it'. And then I'm talking about that special look, colors and depth in the X100 photos. It definitely differs from the X100s. First months I felt some regrets about exchanges my X100, however not anymore.

I have to say if you ask me: 'Would you do it again, if you knew what you know today?'. My answer is: 'No, X100 was/is fine to me, especially with new firmware'.

seukel
Regular MemberPosts: 465Gear list
Like?
In reply to dummygj, 4 months ago

X100s is also plagued by the "waxy face syndrom" like the XE-2 and XT-1.
--
Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught.
Oscar Wilde

tinpusher
Senior MemberPosts: 1,223Gear list
Like?
In reply to dummygj, 4 months ago

I have both cameras and use them both.

I prefer the X100S images but I do like the Astia colours on the old camera. Personally I don't see much difference in colour rendition...everything is variable anyway.

The X100/S doesn't suit everyone but you won't go wrong with the old model to see if you like it.

Focusing speeds of both cameras is similar since the latest firmware. Handling and reliability is better with the new model and the waxy problem at high ISO s mentioned above is dealt with by using the correct RAW converter...in my case PhotoNinja.

tinpusher's gear list:tinpusher's gear list
Leica X1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100S +6 more
kwa_photo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,470Gear list
Like?

I'll file agree that the Fuji X100 has that "something special" about it. I can't quite place my finger on it. I've been shooting with it since November 2011 and have NO desire to change it for anything else. Add to it? Sure. Replace it? No. It's not just getting a nice worn/patina to it from use and it's my "best photographic friend". The one I can always count on day in and day out. When it eventually is replaced, it won't be intentional - rather out of necessity for it dying.

I also have an X-E1 which does have the X-trans, the version before the X100s. But the main difference is the AF on the X100s x-trans vs the X-E1's version. I believe the color rendition / general IQ to be the same. They are both outstanding! However, at least to me, it is missing something. With that said, there are benefits to the X-trans, such as much faster AF and what is generally thought of as a sharper image with the unique pixel-sensor design / no AA filter.

For the price, I think the X100 is a bargain. If mine died, I'd replace it ASAP another X100. YMMV. I think the X100 would serve you well unless you need faster AF and some of the other features of the X100s. Outside of that, save the cash and enjoy!

Warning, Fuji's are addicting!

-- hide signature --

Ken
FujiFilm FinePix Moderator (PM with Q's vs. a public post please)
http://www.kwaphoto.com

kwa_photo's gear list:kwa_photo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100S Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 +1 more
biza43
Senior MemberPosts: 2,041Gear list
Like?

I went for the X100 because it was cheaper these days, compared to the X100S. Wrt colour rendition, I feel it is a moot point, and a bit useless to discuss.

Today, with all the control that one has at bot shooting time and post-processing, one can make a file look exactly as one wants. From any camera. Plus, calibrating colour profiles for camera, screen, and printer, or end use device, washes away any minor initial difference.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +1 more
H Smith
Senior MemberPosts: 1,376Gear list
Like?
In reply to biza43, 4 months ago

I've had both, and saw little difference in image characteristics (except better resolution and better high iso with the (s). The newer camera was functionally way better (at least before the last X100 firmware). 
Henry F. Smith Jr
Visit my blog at http://henrysmithscottage.com

H Smith's gear list:H Smith's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
EduPortas
Regular MemberPosts: 167
Like?
In reply to H Smith, 4 months ago

I appreciate all the input, guys.

The X100 classic it is! I really don't care for speed when shooting. I'm more of a ponderer and one-

shot photographer. Your comments confirm the feel and colour uniqueness of the original X100 and

that's what is most important to me.

Cheers!

jrk
jrk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,141Gear list
Like?

EduPortas wrote:

The X100 classic it is! I really don't care for speed when shooting. I'm more of a ponderer and one-

shot photographer. Your comments confirm the feel and colour uniqueness of the original X100 and

Cheers!

Good luck with the X100 when you get it.  I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and love it.  Sometimes it may sit for a while but when I pick it up and start shooting with it again, the love affair is re-ignited.

jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +7 more
brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,416Gear list
Like?
In reply to jrk, 4 months ago

jrk wrote:

EduPortas wrote:

Cheers!

Good luck with the X100 when you get it. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years and love it. Sometimes it may sit for a while but when I pick it up and start shooting with it again, the love affair is re-ignited.

That's me too. I love my x100. It had been sitting for a while after my Sony A7r showed up. The Sony is currently out for repair (already!) so I've been using the x100 for the last month again and it just reminds me of how great a camera it really is. I've been using it a lot with the wide angle adapter and I'll probably pony up for the new tele adapter too. It's almost the perfect travel package at that point.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
forbaz
Regular MemberPosts: 480Gear list
Like?

EduPortas wrote:

Hello everyone.

Long time DSLR shooter here that has gotten tired of lugging around full frame equipment.

I basically do street photo and everything points to either the Fuji X100 or X100s as my next camera.

I've been doing lots of research and some reviewers mention that the original X100 has some

superb color rendition that makes light look "special" when shooting due to a different sensor

from the X100s which appears to be sharper.

The classic X100 has a "je ne sais quoi" way of processing light that makes pictures more pleasing.

Do you agree with this assessment? I could really use the extra $ saved from buying a slightly older

camera model.

Hi Edu,

I see from your later post you've already made your decision on the X100, so good luck.

Personally i've found that the VSCO filters can work wonders with the colour aspect of processing the X100 files. Yes, the cameras output in the film modes looks great, but a bit of extra processing works wonders - if you like the distinctive look. All of theseare X100 processed in VSCO. Good luck with you new camera.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Forbaz
flickr.com/photos/markforbes

forbaz's gear list:forbaz's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
headofdestiny
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,222Gear list
Like?

I actually recently went back to the old X100 after shooting the X100s for a while, now that the firmware updates brought the X100's AF speed up to par.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads