Shooting tethered to windows latop, preview on Apple Ipad?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
broodrooster
Contributing MemberPosts: 874Gear list
Like?
Shooting tethered to windows latop, preview on Apple Ipad?
6 months ago

Can you shoot tethered to a windows laptop and get an image preview on the laptop AND the Apple iPad? The reason I ask is because Nikon does not give you an image preview on the back of the camera (luck guys at canon do!). If I am doing a shoot with client present it would be great to have two screens to have image preview (one for me and one for client).
Thanks

jean bernier
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,134
Like?
Re: Shooting tethered to windows latop, preview on Apple Ipad?
In reply to broodrooster, 6 months ago

broodrooster wrote:

The reason I ask is because Nikon does not give you an image preview on the back of the camera (luck guys at canon do!).

???? what Nikon model are you using ?   Granted, it took a long time for Nikon to offer this feature, and I got it the first time with the D7000.  Before, you only got a preview on the tethered computer or the camera, but not both...

You have to choose once for all, "record to PC and camera"

the D4 and the D800  have the feature, as will other future models.

-- hide signature --

Jean Bernier
All photographs are only more or less credible illusions

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
broodrooster
Like?
In reply to jean bernier, 6 months ago

Oh yes sorry, it is a D700. I sometimes shoot with my D800 so preview on PC and laptop is possible, that is great.

A larger preview would be nice on ipad/laptop while shooting hence the wish to have both laptop and ipad displaying preview

thanks for the reply

broodrooster
Like?

Does anybody know if this is possible to get a larger preview?

Thanks

olyflyer
Forum ProPosts: 23,273
Like?

broodrooster wrote:

Thanks

How large...? Connect it to a TV screen and voila, you can have a large preview.

jox2000
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

You can tether to CaptureOne and view on their iPad app. it works on apple not sure about windows

broodrooster
Like?
In reply to olyflyer, 6 months ago

yes, I thought of that, but flagging images or marking them as a favorite is not possible (unless I am missing something).

Thanks for the reply!

olyflyer wrote:

broodrooster wrote:

Thanks

How large...? Connect it to a TV screen and voila, you can have a large preview.

broodrooster
Like?
In reply to jox2000, 6 months ago

jox2000 wrote:

You can tether to CaptureOne and view on their iPad app. it works on apple not sure about windows

Maybe somebody here is already doing this? Shooting to CaptureOne on a Windows laptop and then viewing the files on the Ipad too?

VividExposures
Contributing MemberPosts: 965
Like?

You can definitely do what you describe via a CamRanger.

broodrooster
Like?
In reply to VividExposures, 6 months ago

Thanks for that reply! Ok, took a quick look and I will have to buy additional hardware (approx $300). Not a deal breaker if it works great.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Flashlight
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,364
Like?
Activate the webserver

You can activate the build-in IIS webserver on Windows. Then make the capture prog save the image in the webserver directory and make the page that is viewed on the iPad (or any other browser) refresh the page showing the latest image.

It does mean some haggling with the software but it will cost nothing. The code for the Ajax webpage I have around somewhere as I built this a while back.

-- hide signature --

Philip

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,036Gear list
Like?
Try the easy way

Just use a remote control software to control the Windows laptop from the Mac.   There is a lot out there to pick from, though I don't know the Mac end that well.   Some VNC variant on each PC should work.

Then, whatever you see on the Windows PC is also seen on the Mac.   All you need is a simple network connection between the two, which could be wired or wireless.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
broodrooster
Like?
Re: Activate the webserver
In reply to Flashlight, 6 months ago

Flashlight wrote:

You can activate the build-in IIS webserver on Windows. Then make the capture prog save the image in the webserver directory and make the page that is viewed on the iPad (or any other browser) refresh the page showing the latest image.

It does mean some haggling with the software but it will cost nothing. The code for the Ajax webpage I have around somewhere as I built this a while back.

-- hide signature --

Philip

Wow Philip,..that sounds very complicated. Might have to get somebody involved who knows about this. But I really appreciate the suggestion. Thank you very much.

broodrooster
Like?
Re: Try the easy way
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, 6 months ago

PHXAZCRAIG wrote:

Just use a remote control software to control the Windows laptop from the Mac. There is a lot out there to pick from, though I don't know the Mac end that well. Some VNC variant on each PC should work.

Then, whatever you see on the Windows PC is also seen on the Mac. All you need is a simple network connection between the two, which could be wired or wireless.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

Craig, now that sounds like something I could actually do. Thank you, going to look for an app that will do just that. Great.

jox2000
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?

broodrooster wrote:

jox2000 wrote:

Maybe somebody here is already doing this? Shooting to CaptureOne on a Windows laptop and then viewing the files on the Ipad too?

you could download a fully functional trial version (phaseone) and see yourself if it works with your laptop. its a great software, but its a bit cpu hungry.

PHXAZCRAIG
Forum ProPosts: 11,036Gear list
Like?

On the Windows side, TightVNC, UltraVNC or some other free version should do fine.   On the Mac side, I've used a program but can't remember what it was called.

You will need to know the IP address of the Windows PC, and be able to connect to it from the Mac side.   On the Windows side, you'll run VNC Server.   (I recommend setting it up with a password).  On the Mac side, you'll run a VNC Viewer, and when you launch it, type in the IP address of the Windows PC.  (At which point you should be prompted for the VNC password.)

Once they connect up, if you maximize the VNC window on the client (Mac) side, you'll basically see the same thing as the Windows PC does, and either side can type, move the mouse, launch programs (on the Windows PC), etc.   (VNC can be set up for View-only as well).

All the software is free.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +32 more
broodrooster
Like?
In reply to PHXAZCRAIG, 6 months ago

Thank you Craig! I have used VNC in the past and a member of my family works with it on a regular basis so I am pretty sure we can get that setup to work!

geoffcam
Junior MemberPosts: 48Gear list
Like?

Look into "Control My Nikon" - great program for PC, and I think you can link your pc to you ipad to view images. Only $30. Check it out - http://www.controlmynikon.com/

geoffcam's gear list:geoffcam's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads