New FE Lens Announced - Zeiss 16-35mm F4.0

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Steve W
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
Re: New FE Lens Announced - Zeiss 16-35mm F4.0
In reply to Dandrewk, 4 months ago

Also, I have seen some talk about their APS-C lenses on the the A7R like the Zeiss 12mm Touit. This is a great lens but I wouldn't and didn't spend $1750 - $2200 for a 36 MP camera to use it as a 16 MP APS-C. Fuji does that really well for $750 - $1000 less. Heck the A6000 I'm told does that really well. IMO using the A7R body at less than FF is a waste of money.

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
James Sherman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,306Gear list
Like?
Re: Zeiss 16-35mm F4.0, if it is Zeiss it will cost..
In reply to ttan98, 4 months ago

Let's hope it's more Zeiss than Zony.

James Sherman's gear list:James Sherman's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,980Gear list
Like?
In reply to Steve W, 4 months ago

Steve W wrote:

Also, I have seen some talk about their APS-C lenses on the the A7R like the Zeiss 12mm Touit. This is a great lens but I wouldn't and didn't spend $1750 - $2200 for a 36 MP camera to use it as a 16 MP APS-C. Fuji does that really well for $750 - $1000 less. Heck the A6000 I'm told does that really well. IMO using the A7R body at less than FF is a waste of money.

The new-coming Fuji XT2 will be full-frame but unlike Sony, the Fuji lenses for the present APS-C X-cameras will not be interchangeable with the new lenses for the XT2.

So in that way, Sony did it better.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
DtEW
Senior MemberPosts: 1,792Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 4 months ago

captura wrote:

Steve W wrote:

The new-coming Fuji XT2 will be full-frame but unlike Sony, the Fuji lenses for the present APS-C X-cameras will not be interchangeable with the new lenses for the XT2.

I will venture to say that Sony didn't do it better, but rather that Fuji did it worse.

It needs to be remembered that APS-C & FF sensor sizes sharing one mount is more of the dominant industry paradigm (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.) than the exception.

All those examples and Fuji goes, "nah, we're going to optimize the mount for the APS-C light circle and preclude the FF option.  Nobody could possibly want a FF MILC in the future."

Who knows what Fuji was thinking. Regardless, it was short-sighted.

DtEW's gear list:DtEW's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM +16 more
Steve W
Regular MemberPosts: 448Gear list
Like?
In reply to DtEW, 4 months ago

DtEW wrote:

captura wrote:

Steve W wrote:

I will venture to say that Sony didn't do it better, but rather that Fuji did it worse.

It needs to be remembered that APS-C & FF sensor sizes sharing one mount is more of the dominant industry paradigm (Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc.) than the exception.

All those examples and Fuji goes, "nah, we're going to optimize the mount for the APS-C light circle and preclude the FF option. Nobody could possibly want a FF MILC in the future."

IMO nobody did anything right or wrong. I bought a A7R to get 36 Mpixels in FF. While I might own crop frame lenses on the same mount can be an easy path for an upgrade its no replacement for a native lens that uses the full sensor.  I can buy a Touit 12mm + A6000 for less than an A7R body and get more pixels on the image.

In Canon's case EF-S lenses do not work on their FF bodies so they didn't provide their customers with an upgrade path. Nikon and Sony did but don't miss the point. Canon and Nikon don't expect their customers to live with a crop frame lens on their top of the line 5D III or D800/E. The created great prime solutions and in some cases great UWA zoom solutions.  All I'm saying is Sony better do the same or the A7R is a failed experiment IMO.

Maybe Sony only priced the A7R at $2200 and then offered it for $1750 knowing they could never offer lenses that would make the body worth $3200 that Nikon wanted for the D800E? 

Steve W's gear list:Steve W's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Sony Alpha 7R +30 more
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,380Gear list
Like?

DtEW wrote:

captura wrote:

Steve W wrote:

All those examples and Fuji goes, "nah, we're going to optimize the mount for the APS-C light circle and preclude the FF option. Nobody could possibly want a FF MILC in the future."

I think the direction only has to be one-way: ability to use FF lenses on APS-C - no one (serious about FF) cares to use APS-C on FF except as a stop-gap. Leica T is an example of this too, (of course without electronics it's hard to differentiate from all the other mirrorless APS-C cameras but that's another story)

And from the corporate perspective of a company, if they're getting their fans to upgrade via moving up a sensor size, the margins they add to total sales are much smaller than attracting a new user from a whole other system, since cannibalization is involved.

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Pat Whittingham
Regular MemberPosts: 108Gear list
Like?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 4 months ago

You are right but I would expect it to be smaller and better balanced with the EA4 than the 16-35mm f4 zoom if it is anything like the one I had from the Nikon. I really just want a 24mm prime but it doesn't look like something we'll see in the near future.

I am trying to find a retailer with the lens in the Toronto area to check it out.

Pat Whittingham's gear list:Pat Whittingham's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +17 more
Pat Whittingham
Like?
In reply to Dandrewk, 4 months ago

I agree with your assumption on size and weight being roughly equivalent with the Nikon 16-35mm f4.

Thank you for the mock up. This actually was very helpful.

I had the Nikon 16-35mm f4 with a Nikon D800 until about a year ago but rarely used it as the total camera/lens package was too large and somewhat heavy for air travel.

Seeing it here with the A7 helps me visualize the package size. It is probably fine with the Sony grip but then it is pretty close to the size of the D800.

This has convinced me to go with a prime and until we see a native Sony Zeiss FE UWA prime or Zeiss manual designed for FE mount, I guess I'll need to use the EA4/24mmZA

Thanks so much for your effort.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +17 more
NomadMark
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
Because there was no announcement
In reply to Zeisschen, 4 months ago

Zeisschen wrote:

Still no official link? I mean I trust sonyalpharumors but they dont provide any link to an announcement and I can't find anything on google or at sony press release site.

There is no link, because there was no official announcement. This is still a rumor.

NomadMark's gear list:NomadMark's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
NomadMark
Like?
In reply to Pat Whittingham, 4 months ago

Pat Whittingham wrote:

You are right but I would expect it to be smaller and better balanced with the EA4 than the 16-35mm f4 zoom if it is anything like the one I had from the Nikon. I really just want a 24mm prime but it doesn't look like something we'll see in the near future.

I am trying to find a retailer with the lens in the Toronto area to check it out.

Sony Store, Eaton Center. They had one a month ago.

Sony RX1R Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +7 more
NomadMark
Like?

Pat Whittingham wrote:

I agree with your assumption on size and weight being roughly equivalent with the Nikon 16-35mm f4.

I had the Nikon 16-35mm f4 with a Nikon D800 until about a year ago but rarely used it as the total camera/lens package was too large and somewhat heavy for air travel.

Seeing it here with the A7 helps me visualize the package size. It is probably fine with the Sony grip but then it is pretty close to the size of the D800.

This has convinced me to go with a prime and until we see a native Sony Zeiss FE UWA prime or Zeiss manual designed for FE mount, I guess I'll need to use the EA4/24mmZA

If you don't have a the Sony A mount adapter yet, there are other options that are much smaller.

Metabones adapter with Canon 24mm 2.8 IS USM is fantastic. Every bit as sharp as the Zeiss 24mm f2, with close to a 3 stop advantage wide open because of the IS. Four stops when stopped down. Better landscape combo, if you ask me.

AF is obviously slower (1-2 seconds to lock), and vignette wide open is a little worse, but it is just as sharp if not sharper (especially when stopped down between 4f-f8), and it's a heck of a lot smaller and lighter. Smaller than the 55 FE.

And even if you DO have the Sony adapter (which I do), this combo was cheaper for me than buying the Sony Zeiss 24mm alone, let alone the combo.

qianp2k
Senior MemberPosts: 9,979Gear list
Like?
In reply to NomadMark, 4 months ago

NomadMark wrote:

Pat Whittingham wrote:

If you don't have a the Sony A mount adapter yet, there are other options that are much smaller.

Metabones adapter with Canon 24mm 2.8 IS USM is fantastic. Every bit as sharp as the Zeiss 24mm f2, with close to a 3 stop advantage wide open because of the IS. Four stops when stopped down. Better landscape combo, if you ask me.

AF is obviously slower (1-2 seconds to lock), and vignette wide open is a little worse, but it is just as sharp if not sharper (especially when stopped down between 4f-f8), and it's a heck of a lot smaller and lighter. Smaller than the 55 FE.

And even if you DO have the Sony adapter (which I do), this combo was cheaper for me than buying the Sony Zeiss 24mm alone, let alone the combo.

Similar to what I found too. Canon 35/2.0 IS on A7R thru adapter is as sharp as FE 35, actually a bit sharper at edges. AF is pretty slow however but it's one-stop faster with 'IS'. Since FE 24-70 disappointed, I skip this zoom and just use the 24-70L/2.8 II (the best zoom in this range in market) thru adapter on A7R, results are fantastic although still relative big/heavy. Nevertheless I hope Sony does right for this FE 16-35 this time. I need a walk-around FE zoom that can AF fast.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Pat Whittingham
Like?

Thank you for the suggestion. I do have the LA EA4 but  your  experience with the. Metabones adaptor on this lens interests me. Does the IS function work on this combination?  not so critical at 24mm but would be of interest for longer lenses.

NomadMark
Like?

Pat Whittingham wrote:

Thank you for the suggestion. I do have the LA EA4 but your experience with the. Metabones adaptor on this lens interests me. Does the IS function work on this combination? not so critical at 24mm but would be of interest for longer lenses.

Consistently sharp shots as 1/3 seconds shutter speed (and I can go slower and still have good hit rates), hand held. Yes, I'd say it works like a charm!

Opting for this combo obviously has the drawback of slowr AF, which is not too relevant in most cases for me, but it has HUGE benefit of now opening up another line of lenses for you. Canon has a number of GREAT lenses that may interest you.

As the pioter above stated, the 35mm f2 IS USM is great as well. I would pick it over the 35mm FE - better lens all around and rivals that on the RX1, and the Sigma 35mm, with the benefits of IS. The 28mm f2.8 IS USM is the smaller of the three stabilized primes and also a real great lens.

Pat Whittingham
Like?

I agree with your comment about opening up my lens choices with the Metabones adaptor for Canon. This will be especially beneficial to my daughter who is a Canon user and wants to explore the A7 family as an alternative to a FF Canon body.

All my A6000/A7r lenses are Zeiss branded and I have resisted using others due to my preference for the "look".

I hope to have a SAL24F20Z for test next week and I'll decide then whether to stay Zeiss or add a Canon capability

Thank you for your considered input

Dandrewk
Contributing MemberPosts: 707Gear list
Like?

Pat Whittingham wrote:

You're welcome.  I don't think the setup will be any larger than this, but it's a fairly good chance it will be smaller.  Especially consider the Canon version, at F2.8, is a smaller lens.  Sony will do better.

Hopefully, "better" means improved IQ over the Nikon.  That lens just doesn't seem to work well with the newer sensors.

Dandrewk's gear list:Dandrewk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 +14 more
captura
Like?
In reply to PVCdroid, 4 months ago

PVCdroid wrote:

Huh? The FE 24-70 is a very nice lens. It is certainly a step up from the 28-70 but not as much as the APS-C 16-70 vs 18-55 or 16-50.

The FE 28-70 is sharper than the FE 24-70.

Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
captura
Like?

DtEW wrote:

captura wrote:

Steve W wrote:

There is something clever about being able to use FE lenses on an APS-C camera. Same thing with Canon where having EF FF lenses onto their APS-C Rebel cameras has become the norm. With both brands, using the same mount was the key.

captura
Like?
In reply to quezra, 4 months ago

quezra wrote:

DtEW wrote:

captura wrote:

Steve W wrote:

I think the direction only has to be one-way: ability to use FF lenses on APS-C - no one (serious about FF) cares to use APS-C on FF except as a stop-gap. Leica T is an example of this too, (of course without electronics it's hard to differentiate from all the other mirrorless APS-C cameras but that's another story)

And from the corporate perspective of a company, if they're getting their fans to upgrade via moving up a sensor size, the margins they add to total sales are much smaller than attracting a new user from a whole other system, since cannibalization is involved.

For perhaps the first time ever in living history, I agree with you.

captura
Like?

Pat Whittingham wrote:

You won't. The lens has not even been announced yet. Only rumors.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads