A77II first impressions on DPR homepage now
7 months ago

Here

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ralf
www.ralfralph.smugmug.com

Ralf B's gear list:Ralf B's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +13 more
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,335Gear list
Like?
IT'S ALIVE !!! (NT)
In reply to Ralf B, 7 months ago
No text.
 Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
pew pew
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?
Re: A77II first impressions on DPR homepage now

Feature wise looks pretty good and the price is not bad considering is 200$ cheaper then the last one on release.

pew pew's gear list:pew pew's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-3N Canon EOS 100D
Moredsir
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?

First impression:

They removed GPS? Why!! I really hate manually geotagging my holiday pics, especially when I sometimes am not sure where they were! This might actually prevent me ever thinking of going to the II unless the new sensor turns out to be awesome (and AF is not a factor to me).

Second impression:

Glad I didn't wait. Very glad.

Third impression:

Same EVF? Really? They've not been able to advance that tech in more than 2 years? I mean the current one is good, but it clearly could be better, not that I'd go back to OVF.

Moredsir's gear list:Moredsir's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +1 more
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,756Gear list
Like?
In reply to Moredsir, 7 months ago

Moredsir wrote:

First impression:

They removed GPS? Why!! I really hate manually geotagging my holiday pics, especially when I sometimes am not sure where they were! This might actually prevent me ever thinking of going to the II unless the new sensor turns out to be awesome (and AF is not a factor to me).

Second impression:

Glad I didn't wait. Very glad.

I am glad they got rid of GPS and put in more useful things like wifi and AF improvement LOL.

Unfortunately there is no perfect camera.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +5 more
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,335Gear list
Like?
Yep, the sky did not fall.
In reply to pew pew, 7 months ago

Looks like a sensible, well considered upgrade with a little cost cutting
and some nice pickups.
SLT was probably a given, no one was going to recast the body.

Let's hope it buries the ISO thing as well
and we can all go back to dreaming of a 36mp @99 !

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Moredsir
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?

Overall, at least it's underlining the idea that a-mount is here to stay.

What will be interesting is whether a-mount lenses will be improved by the tech in the MII, particularly the mid range ones like the 55-300, 100/2.8 which are rated very slow to AF.

Wonder why they didn't go touchscreen for focus tracking, unless that becomes redundant due to WIFI control from a tablet (I can dream!).

Moredsir's gear list:Moredsir's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +1 more
Hugo600si
Contributing MemberPosts: 738Gear list
Like?

Yeah, that GPS one is a bummer and those can't take too much space given my phone has one. I can counter the iso hotshoe with a new flash, AF light a small bummer, but not used too often and I take better AF over that. But geotagging my vacation pics... I would hope to get an app on my phone that works with lightroom as manual tagging is a no go area.

-- hide signature --

Shamelessly promoting my favourite painters website (my wife's ) and my handiwork:
http://EdithsArt.com and http://EditshArt.nl (Dutch)

Hugo600si's gear list:Hugo600si's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +11 more
Cecco
Contributing MemberPosts: 924
Like?

Moredsir wrote:

Third impression:

Same EVF? Really? They've not been able to advance that tech in more than 2 years? I mean the current one is good, but it clearly could be better, not that I'd go back to OVF.

That's what I asked myself as we'll.

The EVF of the A77 was barely good enough for me to replace the OVF of my A700. And for a long time I believed, it would be one of the best EVFs on the market. Until I made the "mistake" to look through the EVF of an Olympus OMD E-M1. Afterwards the A77 EFV looked so shabby.

If it is unchanged in the A77 II, the statement in the review about having one of the best EVFs on the market would be a choke.

Sam_Oslo
Senior MemberPosts: 2,585Gear list
Like?
A-mount is still alive and kicking

This is very good news. First of all, because it means the A-mount is alive and kicking.

A77 is a great camera and it's successor have a good change to make a big splash. The specification looks good on the paper too, but we need to see a couple of a good test and user-feedbacks to conclude.

Sam_Oslo's gear list:Sam_Oslo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony 20mm F2.8 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro +2 more
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,499Gear list
Like?
How do you know?

Moredsir wrote:

Same EVF? Really?

Have you compared the two?

Here from the press release:

"[ ... ] With about three times higher contrast and resolving power compared to the original α77, the EVF on the new α77 II shows the effects of all settings adjustments in real-time, accurately displaying what the final image will look like. A wide viewing angle and high eye-point are complemented by a newly-expanded choice of brightness settings, and shooters have the ability to manually adjust color temperature for comfortable, accurate composition."

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Chad Hardy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,183Gear list
Like?

Ralf B wrote:

Here

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Ralf
www.ralfralph.smugmug.com

Nothing shattering, but if you are an enthusiast that we can only hope this gets you that much closer to a pro grade AF tracking system.  I had the original a77, great camera.  The a77ii looks better, and that is really all we can ask for.

Chad Hardy's gear list:Chad Hardy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Fujifilm X-E2 +16 more
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 19,038Gear list
Like?
In reply to nandbytes, 7 months ago

nandbytes wrote:

I am glad they got rid of GPS and put in more useful things like wifi and AF improvement LOL. Unfortunately there is no perfect camera.

I agree with you on that but for someone taking an extended vacation traveling over long distances I could see it's usefulness and would probably use it under those circumstances.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 19,038Gear list
Like?
No way my friend!!!!
In reply to Cecco, 7 months ago

Cecco wrote:

That's what I asked myself as we'll.

The EVF of the A77 was barely good enough for me to replace the OVF of my A700. And for a long time I believed, it would be one of the best EVFs on the market. Until I made the "mistake" to look through the EVF of an Olympus OMD E-M1. Afterwards the A77 EFV looked so shabby.

If it is unchanged in the A77 II, the statement in the review about having one of the best EVFs on the market would be a choke.

You don't know what you are talking about. According to Imaging resource;

"Olympus isn't the only one delivering decent electronic viewfinders: Sony's equipped the A7 and A7r with XGA OLED viewfinder panels with 0.71x magnification. Despite the minor difference in magnification, I found the viewfinders in the EM1 and A7 / A7r shared a similar overall size and degree of detail"

The A7 has the same viewfinder as the A77. The only difference between the Olympus (a company owned by Sony and probably using the same OLED tech) and the Olympus is the 4/3 vs 3/2 ratio.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
PascalNJ
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?

nandbytes wrote:

I am glad they got rid of GPS and put in more useful things like wifi and AF improvement LOL.

I suppose it's a matter of personal taste ... GPS is on all the times on my A77.

I don't think getting rid of it is smart : if you don't want it, you could always turn it off ! It doesn't seem to me that the GPS is off to make room for another feature. I could be wrong.

PascalNJ's gear list:PascalNJ's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Apple iPad 3G +WiFi +2 more
nandbytes
Like?
In reply to tbcass, 7 months ago

tbcass wrote:

nandbytes wrote:

I am glad they got rid of GPS and put in more useful things like wifi and AF improvement LOL. Unfortunately there is no perfect camera.

I agree with you on that but for someone taking an extended vacation traveling over long distances I could see it's usefulness and would probably use it under those circumstances.

This is exactly my main use for the camera. Travel photography and I do it a fair amount. I still don't feel the need for it

But of course I couldn't tell what others need or don't need.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

-- hide signature --

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +5 more
Silverback46
Contributing MemberPosts: 767Gear list
Like?
Re: A77II - I like what I see.

Looks like a nice upgrade to the 77! Great to see for a mount shooters. I really like the possible price setting. That is very encouraging for competitive sales. Putting it up against the competition it looks very good. I also like the hotshoe change. Picking up my 18-250 today I feel a bit better about buying another lens!!

Silver

Silverback46's gear list:Silverback46's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony SLT-A58 Sony a77 II
maikin
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?

I read in another forum somewhere that the camera might be able to make use of a smartphone's GPS paired through NFC. Anybody else seen anything about that?

Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,039
Like?
Re: No way my friend!!!!
In reply to tbcass, 7 months ago

tbcass wrote:

Cecco wrote:

The A7 has the same viewfinder as the A77. The only difference between the Olympus (a company owned by Sony and probably using the same OLED tech) and the Olympus is the 4/3 vs 3/2 ratio....

But to my eyes, looking though the EVF of the A7 and the E-M1 are significantly different.

Maybe others also find a difference, because there is one.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

nandbytes
Like?
In reply to maikin, 7 months ago

maikin wrote:

I read in another forum somewhere that the camera might be able to make use of a smartphone's GPS paired through NFC. Anybody else seen anything about that?

yes I believe my sony A7 can do this. Never tried as I don't feel the need for GPS. No reason why A77ii can't either.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads