>>> Street Photography eXchange #98 <<<

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
solveproblems
Contributing MemberPosts: 795
Like?
Re: i'm sure it wasn't meant that way
In reply to xtoph, 7 months ago

Oh, thank you!

But don't worry, being a bit of troll myself, I will not suffer too much anyway.

xtoph wrote:

solve, having followed sal's comments here for quite a while, i feel pretty confident in saying that i don't see any indication that she meant the comment to be a criticism or to be offensive in any way. certainly not to musicians, or to you. {and she went out of her way to say that she was presenting a subjective perspective, not an authoritative pronouncement of universal relevance.)

on the contrary, i think that the comment is focussed on communicating to you what she thinks you've done unusually well--which is to go beyond what could have been a much more cliche'd shot depicting merely what the performers presented to a general audience, and contribute something of some more particular and photographically creative interest, in this case by including the anomalous figure of the woman.

i am not sure if that is also how you understood the comment, and you felt that it was unintentionally, potentially offensive, or whether you were unsure of sal's intent--but i hope that you'll extend her the good faith to assume that she was speaking in a friendly and well-intentioned manner, and trying to convey an honest reaction.

this can be one of the most difficult aspects of communicating on the internet--with so many different backgrounds and languages people are coming from, with a dearth of communication cues (expression, tone, etc), and with the unfortunate reality that there are trolls around who deliberately try to muck things up, it can sometimes be hard to sort out what people are really trying to say. but for the most part, the people who take the time to comment in this thread are i think genuinely engaged and honest--and it helps communication generally when we start from that presumption.

anyway, interesting group, with the color array and the sign in the bg, and indeed, with the woman sitting amidst them.

solveproblems wrote:

Spent some time thinking whether your comment is offensive or not

Sal18 wrote:

Thank heavens for the girl sitting there. Without her, the sax quartet would have had musical interest only. Maybe. If they are really good. But the gal grounds this pic and makes it hold our interest and curiosity. For me.

Sal

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
xtoph
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,601Gear list
Like?
i have a suggestion
In reply to fad, 7 months ago

frank--and anyone for that matter--when you want to say something to one photographer about the pictures they show, maybe it will tend to be more successful if you speak directly to that photographer, rather than talking about how their photos stack up, or not, against other photographers, and especially to avoid broad characterizations about the failings (in your estimation) of those other photographers.

frank, it was perfectly reasonable for gerald to find your remarks personally insulting, and given your past interactions on this forum, baffling as to why you would expect otherwise. instead of protesting that he has somehow misconstrued you, why not resolve to try to avoid doing this (yet) again, and simply move on. sal's picture should be the main subject here, not your asides to other forum members.

please, let's drop the extraneous stuff.

xtoph
Like?
Re: Abstract
In reply to Still Young, 7 months ago

if you are obscuring the writing because you don't want to intrude on the privacy of the writers, i guess there's an argument for that. but if it is a purely aesthetic choice, i prefer the unfiltered version, myself. i may not be a good gauge, however, since i don't read hebrew and therefor it doesn't distract me the way a language i know would.

still, i think that most of the text is small enough to function mainly as texture, rather than main subject.

xtoph
Like?
Re: Downhill
In reply to jacwashere, 7 months ago

this looks a bit like something from a 70's sci-fi show. odd, but interesting.

Sal18
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,238Gear list
Like?

Thank you, Chris. You said it exactly. Thank you for the rescue. I confess I was bewildered and wondering what on earth I'd said to cause offense. More especially because Solve knows I am an admirer of his work and have frequently said so.

So often there is one ingredient that lifts an otherwise ordinary image into a whole new realm, and without that there isn't a lot of interest. In this case, it is the woman. (I mean, think of Erwitt without the dogs.)

In any event, I am far too much of a beginner to take anyone down here or elsewhere, (Aside from which, it's not my nature) and am normally careful to mention reminders that I know my opinions are my subjective ones only. If I have been insufficiently careful...I apologize. And I'll refrain from commenting on Solve's pics lest I be a 'fool rushing in where angels fear to tread'.

Sal

Still Young
Senior MemberPosts: 1,362
Like?
Re: Abstract

xtoph wrote:

if you are obscuring the writing because you don't want to intrude on the privacy of the writers, i guess there's an argument for that. but if it is a purely aesthetic choice, i prefer the unfiltered version, myself. i may not be a good gauge, however, since i don't read hebrew and therefor it doesn't distract me the way a language i know would.

still, i think that most of the text is small enough to function mainly as texture, rather than main subject.

Hi Xtoph

My intention was to imitate a kind of abstract painting. This style is based on pure shapes and colors. So, writings can be distracting. I do leave the middle writing as a graphic object [besides its meaning in Hebrew].

Thanks

Still

Still Young
Like?
Expressions

the second before

think!

Still Young
Like?
Composition

solveproblems
Like?
In reply to Sal18, 7 months ago

And I'll refrain from commenting on Solve's pics lest I be a 'fool rushing in where angels fear to tread'.

No, please, please

fad
fad
Forum ProPosts: 12,410Gear list
Like?
Re: i have a suggestion

xtoph wrote:

frank--and anyone for that matter--when you want to say something to one photographer about the pictures they show, maybe it will tend to be more successful if you speak directly to that photographer, rather than talking about how their photos stack up, or not, against other photographers, and especially to avoid broad characterizations about the failings (in your estimation) of those other photographers.

frank, it was perfectly reasonable for gerald to find your remarks personally insulting, and given your past interactions on this forum, baffling as to why you would expect otherwise. instead of protesting that he has somehow misconstrued you, why not resolve to try to avoid doing this (yet) again, and simply move on. sal's picture should be the main subject here, not your asides to other forum members.

please, let's drop the extraneous stuff.

You are completely wrong, Chris. I am disappointed.

Nothing I said was in the least bit insulting.  You have both completely misread what I said and Gerald has attributed words to me that no one has ever said on this forum.

I am tired of apologizing for other people's projections that are not anchored in reality.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

fad's gear list:fad's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon D4s Nikon D810 +9 more
Ken Christie
Contributing MemberPosts: 999
Like?
Re: Time Travelers
In reply to fad, 7 months ago

fad wrote:

Ken Christie wrote:

I wonder if it might benefit from a crop to make the figures larger in the frame, making the faces, which are full of character, and a little mystery, more prominent?

-- hide signature --

KenC

Well, I did experiment with making them larger in the frame. I was surprised at how that weakened the photo.

-- hide signature --

Frank

That's why I posed it as a question. I wasn't convinced myself, although I hadn't tried  it other than scrolling on my tablet.

Additionally, Zubu's later reference to Herzog, of whom I had no previous knowledge, instigsted a search, and that in turn established your shot perfectly. Overall a very worthwhile experience.

-- hide signature --

KenC

solveproblems
Like?
Dali

fad
fad
Like?
+1
In reply to jeff hladun, 7 months ago

Emotion in a street photo is not just the emotions displayed by the subject, by also, and more importantly, the dynamic flow of emotion in the photographer, and the viewer.

-- hide signature --

Frank

fad
fad
Like?
Alternative title with ironic overtones: "Heading home" -
In reply to geraldPP, 7 months ago
-- hide signature --

Frank

fad
fad
Like?
In bloom

-- hide signature --

Frank

jacwashere
Contributing MemberPosts: 627
Like?
Re: black and white

Clever title, think it has a double meaning? at least the first thing in my mind was the guys' black clothing and the girls' white car

anyway perfect timing caughting those girls great expressions. a joy to take the time to look at this image.

jacwashere
Like?
Thank you & also for the crop suggestion -nt
No text.
jacwashere
Like?
Dragon

fad
fad
Like?
Followed by languor

Botticelli - Venus and Mars - National Gallery, London

-- hide signature --

Frank

xtoph
Like?
Re: >>> Street Photography eXchange #98 <<<
In reply to Daniel74, 7 months ago

Daniel74 wrote:

interesting echo of sal's shot, above. i like the hand and the alternation of profile/head on alignments. not really loving the green (or red) bag.

i might have gone for a simpler composition--the pole isn't doing much for me. the subdued colors are pretty.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads